The Road to Rebellion

I Did It for Love

"Mr. Cho, you must wake up now. Your father has requested a conference with you this morning."

The middle-aged maid strode into the king-size room and opened the curtains. The blazing sunlight poured into every corner of the room, causing the young boy to swear under his breath.  Kyuhyun groaned and barely opened his eyes, then plummeted under the covers in defeat. Waking up was not on his To-Do List today.

"Please, Kyuhyun, don't be so impossible. Your father is probably getting impatient by now. You know you don't want to upset him." 

However, he knew she was right. His father was a stern and cold man who did not like to be kept waiting.

With that, he grudgingly let go of the covers and climbed out of bed. Kyuhyun beckoned the maid out of his room and locked the door. He rubbed his eyes, trying to get rid of the temporarily blurry vision, and found himself standing in front of the mirror. He smirked as he checked out out the handsome reflection that was staring back at him. He threw on a hoodie--his father didn't like to see him shirtless--and ran a hand through his tousled hair.

After he unlocked the door and left the room, Kyuhyun sprinted downstairs, lucky not to miss a step. As he passed by the kitchen, he noticed a solitary mug of coffee and drank it without any regrets. 

The door to the office was already opened, so he walked in nonchalantly. His father, who was clearly trying to avoid eye contact for the time being, sat in a swivel chair behind a high-end mahogany desk. 

"Come in, son." He murmured coldly. 

"Annyeong haseyo," Kyuhyun bowed, then took a seat across from his senior. 

There was awkward silence, and the only thing making noise was the busy printer. 

Finally, his father spoke up. "You do realize what I called you here for, right?"

Kyuhyun shook his head frankly. "No, I don't." 

There was another awkward silence and a shuffling of papers. The printer had already stopped.

"Son, what exactly are your life goals?"

"Life goals, as in college?"

He received an incredulous stare. "Yes, as in college. What other goals do you have?"

Kyuhyun's father had an extremely harsh way of saying things. He never worried about insulting others; as long as his point got across correctly, everything else was irrelevant. Over the years, he had grown accustomed to listening wholeheartedly to his father and avoiding replies.

"You already decided that I would be studying law," He replied.

Although he could be asked a question, Kyuhyun never made decisions of his own. It was always his father who rolled the dice, and it was either his way or no way at all. He had gotten used to that, too.

"Correct. And do you know what you need to do to become a lawyer?"

"I have to study." 

What else could he have said?

"You get blunter and blunter everyday..." His father muttered, as if Kyuhyun wasn't supposed to hear that. "What else are you required to do?"

Now, he honestly didn't know how to reply.

Mr. Cho cleared his throat. "In order to study properly and succeed in any goal, you are required to dispose of all distractions. What distractions are in your everyday life, son?"

He shrugged. There were plenty of things that could be considered distractions. But in his father's mind, anything that wasn't sold in bookstores and couldn't be read was a distraction. 

"No television, parties, video games, music, girlfriends, or cell phones are prohibited."

So basically, you're taking away a typical teenager's life? Kyuhyun almost barked. That was practically abuse.

"What about friends; can I socialize? And wouldn't I need my phone for whenever I go out?" 

"You can socialize, but only on weekends," he affirmed, "and yes, but only when you go out. Are we clear?"

Then I'll have to go out a whole lot.

"Nae, I understand." 

Mr. Cho turned in his chair and continued his work. Kyuhyun took this as a turn to leave, and so he did. 

As frustrated as he was, he could never voice it. His father was the head of Cho University, one of South Korea's most prestigious universities. In fact, he would be attending to get his degree law. 

His mother, however, was the polar opposite of her husband. She was one of Seoul's most popular artists, and actually wanted the best for her son. Unfortunately, her plans for him never helped, thanks to his fantastic dad. 

Enough complaining, Kyuhyun scolded himself. That won't help the situation at all.