chapter 16

Rumours & Roses

Okay let’s rewind just a little… About a month ago

Siwon came the next day after school was closed to pick up his things. He was about to leave when he saw a note on his table.

I heard you’re leaving this school next year sometime… I thought you actually cared about me.’ Siwon smiled he knew who that was from. He folded the small piece of paper and put it in his pocket. He looked around to check if anyone was there. But there wasn’t anyone who wasn’t supposed to be there. Siwon took his things and went out of his office.  He closed the door and greeted the secretary who was finishing up her work, before leaving the room. Siwon stepped out the school expecting to see the author of that note, waiting for him outside. He looked around for the student but there was no one.  Siwon walked to his car. May be he’ll call… he thought, he does have my number. He got into his car and buckled up his seat belt and fixed his seat and the rear view mirror before starting the car. He was all set to go when he heard someone yawn.

“Oh you’re finally here. So where’re we going?” A voice said from behind him. Siwon turned back to see who was talking.

“YOU! What are you doing in here? How the hell did you get in?” Siwon asked. The boy smirked and held up a bobby pin.

“You just need to know how to use it.” He said smiling. Siwon shook his head. “Are you really leaving next year?”

“Yeah, but I’m still gonna work there for 2 more months.”

“Oh!  But why?  Are you not getting paid enough?” Siwon laughed at the younger’s question.

“No, that’s not it.” Siwon said, “A change doesn’t hurt anyone.” He said looking back at the boy.

“I guess not…” the boy said.

“So... do you wanna talk?” Siwon asked. The boy smiled, this time the smile reached his eyes. The older male looked at him in confusion. “What?”

“No…. I'm good….” Siwon quirked an eyebrow. The boy opened the door and got out of the car. “Thanks… for every thing.” He said. Siwon stared at the young boy as he walked away.

What happened to him?

_ _ _ _ _

 Forwarding to when Henry started living with Kyuhyun.

It had been two days since Henry started to stay with Kyuhyun and Shindong. Kyuhyun and Henry talked a lot; they understood each other, there was a connection between them. But anyway, it was nine in the morning when Henry woke up. Shindong just left for work and wouldn’t be back for another ten hours and Kyuhyun was not home, he had told Henry earlier that he needed to go somewhere for the day and would only come back at night. Henry got up from his bed, he brushed his teeth, washed his hands and face. Should I take a bath? Nah… I’ll do that later he thought. He hurried downstairs when his stomach started grumbling. He searched the kitchen but there was nothing. Neither Shindong nor Kyuhyun had eaten anything before they left; everything was exactly where they were placed last night, untouched. Seeing that there was nothing in the fridge either Henry got dressed to go for grocery shopping.

Now… where’s the grocery store?

He google’d the nearest grocery store and thankfully there was one just two blocks away from the house. He grabbed his wallet as he left the house. There was just enough money for all that he needed to buy.

He had made list of what he had needed:

Everything.

When he got to the store, he walked to the isle that contained most of his required items. Shoyu Ramen, Miso Ramen, Shio Ramen, Tonkotsu Ramen, and Butter Corn Ramen, yup, now all he needed was the milk.

“Henry?” Henry heard someone say, he turned to see who it was.

“Mom?”

“Honey!” his mom came closer and hugged him. “Where have you been? Where are you staying? I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Are you okay?” Henry reluctantly loosened his grip.

“I-I’m fine mom,” Henry stuttered, “I’ve been staying at Kyuhyun’s place. He lives with Shindong hyung, you remember him right? You met him at the hospital. I’m gonna stay there for a while until… I donno… get on my feet I guess.” Henry chuckled at his last sentence; he imagined that he might have to say that at some point in his life. He hadn’t imagined that it would when he was fifteen.   

“Come back home honey,” his mom said, “we really miss you.”

“I know, I miss you too mom, but…” Henry turned around, picking up a packet, “dad doesn’t want me back, he wants his idea of an ideal son, and until he can accept the real me…” he put down the packet and looked back at his mom and met his mother’s eyes, “it’s not like I chose to be gay.” He didn’t miss wince on his mother’s face at the last word, “that’s just who I am.”

They stood in silence as his mother wiped the tears than ran down her cheeks.  She chuckled as she saw the t-shirt Henry was wearing. Henry suddenly became aware of the . ‘Silence is golden, but duct tape is shiny’ Zhoumihad given it to him as a birthday present and honestly found it quite ironic since… well.

Henry let a sigh of relief as he saw his mother’s lips quirk up into an amused smile.  Her eyes traveled to the shopping basket in Henry’s hand, and that smile turned into a ‘really are you kidding me’ look.

“I presume you’re the one who made the shopping list.” Henry gasped scandalized.

“Why it could have been one of them.” his mother quirked an eyebrow.

“You said it was just the two of them living there…’

“Yeah…”

“If that’s what their shopping list looked like they wouldn’t be alive now.”

“Heh.” His mother grabbed the basket and put back half of the ramen packets and then handed the rest to Henry.

“Now…” she said decisively, “let’s find some real food.”

_ _ _ _ _ _

When he got home, he set the grocery bags on the table. It was good thing that his mom gave him a ride back, or else he would have died trying to carry all of them home.  It was one o clock by the time he put everything where they belonged. He didn’t find the need to cook anything then since his mom had bought him food on the way home. Henry was glad that he saw his mom; he was able to tell her everything that he kept a secret from her for this long. Before she left, his mom gave him some money knowing that Henry didn’t have much with him.

Henry walked around the house not knowing what to do, he started reading magazines but that got boring after a while. Then he cleaned the living room, kitchen and the boredom even got him cleaning the bathroom. It was about six when he was done cleaning. He the radio, wait isn’t Kyuhyun supposed to be on Eunhyuk hyung’s and Donghae hyung’s radio program? He remembered. Henry changed the stations and then set it one the one the program was on. It started right after the five thirty news.

We are back again for another time to entertain you for the next half an hour, I’m Eunhyuk,

And I’m Kyuhyun,”

And this is All About You!” after the music intro Eunhyuk told the audience about how Donghae was sick and so Kyuhyun was filling in for him. He talked about the latest kpop gossip.

But now, we’re going to talk about a Chinese-Malaysian singer, Kyuhyun-shi can you please give the audience a hint on who it is by singing a few lines of one of his songs.”

Yes, this is an OST for the drama Smiling Pasta,” What mandarin song does he know? Henry thought.

«¯Bei ji xing de yan lei
Shuo bu chu de xiang nian
Yuan lai wo men huo zai
liang ge shi jie
Bei ji xing de yan lei
Ni ku hong de shuang yan
Bei lin shi de nuo yan
yan mo zai xin li mian
Wo tai tou kan zhe
Ai bu jian
¯»

Unconsciously Henry started crying, it was the song ‘Tears from Polaris’. Zhoumi was the one who taught Kyuhyun that song and Henry knew that. The memories of Zhoumi singing that very song drifted across his mind. Henry turned off the radio. He wiped the tears off. It wasn’t the fact Kyuhyun sung that song, but the fact there was a lot in Kyuhyun that reminded Henry of Zhoumi that made him uncomfortable.   

_  _  _  _  _

“We have reached the end of this program, so until next time, I’m Eunhyuk”

 “And I’m Kyuhyun,”

“Signing off, see you next Monday same station same time.”

“Bye!”

“And we’re off air.” The director said. Kyuhyun let out a sigh of relief. That day was tiring, after having to do his job then filling in for Donghae. It was seven by the time that Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun got out of the building after finishing up the program and getting all their belongings.

“You’re probably hungry right? Wanna grab a bite before going home?”  Eunhyuk asked.

“I’d love to but, Henry’s home alone, he’s been all day so I should get there.”

“Alright I’ll drive you home then…” Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun got into the car. Kyuhyun explained to the older why Henry was staying at his house. Eunhyuk shook his head and sighed, it seemed like he knew what Henry was going through. Kyuhyun still couldn’t understand exactly what it was like for Henry; it was almost too easy for Kyuhyun, when he told his parents.  His parents said that they knew that he was gay and they were just glad that he finally told them.

He opened the front door of the house; he took of his jacket and hung it in the closet. “Henry?” he walked into the living room, it smelled like ramen. The magazines that were lying on the table were organized according to preferences, content and size.

The books that Kyuhyun kept on the cupboards were organized by the author’s last name, how you would expect to find in a library. Kyuhyun’s eyes drifted across the room there wasn’t a speck of dust anywhere. The floor was vacuumed; wait was the carpet always that white?

“Henry, I'm home,” Henry came out of the kitchen with a spoon in his hand. His cheeks were red.  “Were you crying?” Kyuhyun asked.

“No, it’s just the heat… I was cooking so…” Henry said, “I'm making ramen want some?”

“Yeah, I'm starving.” Kyuhyun said lightly pressing his stomach. Kyuhyun washed his hands and took a seat in front of the table. Henry took two bowls of ramen. He passed one to Kyuhyun. He forgot the vegetables, just like Sungmin always did. Kyuhyun smiled but didn’t say anything. They started eating in silence.

“You know I once got yelled at because I poured too much water in the ramen?”

Henry looked up, “Seriously?”

“Yeah, I think I sulked for about three days until I got drunk and cried.”

“What?!” Henry squeaked before bursting into laughter. Kyuhyun chuckled.

The rest of their dinner was spent with stories and laughter. They talked, about every meaningless little thing, careful not to bring back any memories that may hurt. As the night passed the sky got darker, but somehow, things seemed to be getting a whole lot brighter.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A/N: Any guesses on who this 'boy' is?