Understanding a Mute

Silence and The Supernatural (Under Maintenance)

Conscientia Corripio? you signed in confusion. You had to sign it in letters which seemed to confuse Hyunseung, so instead you signed, What is that?

"It's an ability to copy the knowledge of one person into the mind of another. It would make it so that we could understand you for the most part."

Yes, I know what you are talking about now. I was trained that way. You nodded while you signed. I am fine with doing it if it will make it easier for everyone.

"Then, I have your consent?" You nodded. He sighed which he was doing a lot lately. "Alright-" There was an interruption of cheers from Yoseob and Dongwoon, along with some chuckling from Doojoon, as they caught on that they were going to be able to understand your weird hand movements. "Quiet!" Needless to say, Hyunseung did not appreciate the interruption and glared at them until the two noisy ones withdrew into chastised silence. "Now, have you ever been on the copy side of this?" You shook your head 'no' and gave a slight half smile. "Then you're probably not going to like this. Yoseob, get up and let her sit in the armchair. You know how this works right." You blinked and signed, You kiss me. You knew this wasn't completely right and very blunt but you didn't have the signs at your disposal to get technical.

He chuckled. "Well, yes. But you need to keep your eyes open and looking in mine which I know you don't like" he said. It was true. Even when signing, you made almost no eye contact, only looking up when it was completely necessary. You drew back into the chair, trying to disappear. "I know you don't want to, but it's really the only option. If it makes you feel better, once I get through into your mind, you won't have to consciously keep eye contact. You won't be able to stop until I'm out again." He signed, I'm sorry and gave you a sad smile. You found it unnerving that he already knew some of your fears and insecurities, but you also were slightly comforted by the thought. Then, the fact that he could use this against you struck down that comfort.

There was so many ways your fears could be used against you. There had been a girl at your last residence who had been terrified of the dark. One day, the master purposely dropped a dish and blamed her. As a punishment, he locked her in the cellar where no light could penetrate. It started with screaming as she cried out for help, for someone to save her. After a few hours, it subsided to sobs. It changed to quiet whimpers shortly after that. Then there was silence. The next day, they sent down a group of slaves to pull out the dead girl. It didn't matter if she was still breathing or not. Her eyes were dead.

You felt the blood draining from your face. He noticed immediately, and his hand pressed against your forehead. You tried to flinch back, but he was a step ahead of you and stopped your retreat with his other hand. You need to calm down. Calm. He signed a few more times until your heart-rate slowed and the blood returned to your face. "We don't have to do this today if you don't want to. We don't ever have to if you're against it." You looked over at the others finding three concerned faces, one curious one, and a blank look from the sullen one on the windowsill. A chill went down your spine, but at least he was bothering to look at you now.

You stared at your hands then dropped your head into them, covering your eyes with your palms like you always did when you were trying to think. You weren't freaking out over having your mind infiltrated, you'd had worse things done to your head; you were afraid of the vulnerable spot you'd been put in. It was always bad to have any of your fears found out on the first day. You shuddered in a breath and raised your head off your hands.

I will do it today. I am sorry for my behavior.

He frowned and signed back, you have a right to feel however you want to. We won't stop you from feeling what you feel. You glanced over at Yoseob, whom you'd been watching out of the corner of your eye. You watched him more closely as you signed back, Thank you.

Your eyebrows rose, and you actually made eye contact with Hyunseung for long enough to get his attention and look towards the blonde. He smiled. So you noticed our little copycat?

You nodded then signed, how long has he been doing this?

Since you turned pale and almost fainted. I think he is worried that you won't go through with this and he will be on his own so he is trying to teach himself.

I will do the transfer. I am okay with it.

You're positive that you will be alright? You nodded. Okay. "We are going to do the transfer." This announcement was met by big smiles and a few silent fist pumps.

Junhyung stood up and moved towards the door with his hands in his pockets. "You're not going to stay?" You could barely hear him mumble "No point." Hyunseung nodded in understanding and let him continue on his way out. As he passed, you felt a strong presence brush over you, and you jerked back.

"Now, I've never gone through this, but I've been told it feels like a vacuum cleaner. Just bear with me even if it doesn't feel comfortable okay?"

You brought your focus away from the closed door and nodded slowly. You remembered that receiving the information made you head feel like it was going to explode and gave you a bad headache for the rest of the day. Uncomfortable but not unbearable.

"Alright then. I want you to look into my eyes and don't close them. Let me guide you and don't panic no matter how it feels. Ready?" You looked up at him and let your eyes lock. When you had calmed enough again, you nodded.

His hands moved to hold your face; you forced down the urge to jerk away and instead focused on staring into the dark brown eyes in front of you. He moved forward slowly until his nose brushed against yours. He whispered "breathe," and you took a deep breath.

Then his lips pressed gently against yours. He gave you a moment to get used to it and to make sure you weren't going to close your eyes. When he was sure you were going to behave, he parted his lips and used his thumbs to help guide your mouth open too. Then it started.

Comparing it to a vacuum cleaner was a huge understatement. It felt like your very soul was being out of you through your eyes and mouth. Worse yet, you found that you were in fact stuck and couldn't move. Any thought you tried to think was whipped away so quickly that it left you with whiplash, and you eventually slipped back into a corner of your mind that the tornado couldn't touch. It was basically like going brain dead to the world and hiding in the darkest recesses of your mind.

You were really out of it because Hyunseung had to flick his tongue against yours to get your attention. You snapped back into focus on reality, and he pulled back still crouching in front of you. You could still feel your thoughts swirling in your head, and you pressed your hands over your ears. This only made the wooshing worse and made you shake your head.

This was an awful idea because when you opened your eyes, the whole world was spinning. You felt dizzy and knew you were going to pass out this time. Suddenly, you were shoved back into the chair and thumbs were rubbing at your wrists. You realized what they were trying to do and did your best to help, starting with small breaths and working up to deeper ones to keep the oxygen flowing until you were to sit up with no spins.

The person held onto your wrists until he was sure that you weren't going to collapse and then sat back giving you room to breathe. Behind the whooshing and dizziness you realized there was another feeling. Hollowness. You felt like your brain had been out leaving you with an empty skull for a head.

When you came back to the present, you noticed that...Hyunseung... was ...signing... in front of you. Memories were difficult to sort through in this state. You tried to read what he was signing, but you couldn't quite figure it out at first. After about five minutes, you were starting to catch a few of the signs. It bothered you a lot that you couldn't remember your own language, the only one you'd had for over half your life. You frowned and shook your head trying to indicate your problem.

Hyunseung stopped and lifted your face up to look in your eyes. "I've messed around in your memory of sign language, so it will be hard to remember. Bear with me and try to read what I'm signing."

You took a deep breath and nodded. When he started signing again, you found that the memory was coming back quicker than before. The scattered words turned into scattered phrases until you were picking up entire sentences. At one point, you realized that he was signing Goldilocks and the Three Bears to you. Seeing the change in your expression, he signed She tried sleeping in Papa bear's bed and looked at you. It took you a moment before you realized he was trying to get you to respond. Almost smiling, you signed back But it was too hard.

She tried sleeping in Mama Bear's bed

But it was too soft.

She tried sleeping in Baby Bear's bed

And it was just right.


Hyunseung smiled at you. "I think it's safe to say that you've recovered so you can just sit back and relax while I work on the others." Yoseob jumped up and basically threw himself at Hyunseung shouting something about being first.

You nodded and collapsed back into the chair. The weird hollow feeling had gone away, but your head was starting to hurt now. You put your hands on the sides of your head and closed your eyes. When this didn't help, you dug the heels of your hands into your temples. A second pair of hands knocked yours out of the way and slender fingertips started rubbing small circles into your temples.

Your eyes flashed open. You attempted to jerk back, but the hands moved to grab your head and forced you to still. "I'm trying to help you," Gikwang said. "Stop trying to move and just let me." You let your eyes close again and dropped your hands into your lap. The fingers moved back to your temples and started moving in little patterns soothing away your throbbing headache.

When he decided he was done, his fingers trailed down your cheek before stopping under your chin and pulling your face up. You blinked your eyes open and swallowed hard.

"I believe this is where you thank me for helping you," he said coyly. He brushed a piece of hair behind your ear with his free hand. You could feel how hard you were blushing.

"Gikwang, you leave that poor girl alone. It's your turn," Hyunseung said irritably with his arms crossed.

Gikwang turned and glared over his shoulder at him. Then, he turned back to you and said with a smirk, "Guess it'll have to wait til next time babe." He winked and walked over to the other.

You watched him for a minute as he wrapped an arm around Hyunseung, who still hadn't uncrossed his arms, and pulled him into a kiss. You blushed harder and decided to stop watching and stare at the harmless wall.

Suddenly, two faces popped up in front of yours. You jerked back in surprise. Dongwoon and Yoseob looked at each other, and then smiled at you. "Sign something!" they managed to say at the exact same time.

You stared blankly at them for a moment trying to get over the shock. Then, you looked at your hands and furrowed your brows as you tried to think of something to sign.

Hello. My name is Laeri. Can you understand me if I sign this fast? Should I slow down?

"This is sooo cool!" Dongwoon said as he and Yoseob hi-fived each other. "We know what you're saying now! And you can sign as fast as you want because we can read as fast as you can."

You blinked. That was new. Usually if you met anyone who knew sign, they'd have to tell you to slow down. It was nice that you wouldn't have to worry about getting yelled at for signing too fast.

Just then Gikwang, Doojoon, and Hyunseung came over and joined you, standing behind the two who were kneeling in front of you. You glanced up at the new arrivals and signed, You can all understand me?

They all nodded. Your head dropped, and you stared at your hands in your lap. Finally, a chance to be completely understood. You couldn't explain the sudden rush of emotion that caused the tears to start running down your cheeks.

Someone took your face in their hands and started wiping the tears away, erasing the little trails of water. You blinked your eyes open sending the last tears down your cheeks and looked at Hyunseung. "Are you crying because you're upset or because you're happy?"

Relieved.

 

A/N: So? If you didn't find it 'fluffy' enough i have just this to say. It wasn't supposed to be :P . and those of you who like a certain character and are afraid that she's getting too attached to Hyunseung, don't worry. there is gonna be drama and a bunch of hopping around. I don't even know why hyunseung is the one who can sign. *makes face* the little voice in my head told me too. idk lol.

anyways. this was gonna be a lot longer and honestly this is not where i wanted to cut it off, but otherwise the chapter was going to be like four times as long as a normal chapter. so expect another update very soon. maybe not tomorrow. but soon.

Yay! a few of you are guessing doors! good for you!! i learned a very important lesson this last week. i have a very bad poker face. in other words, my friend now knows who has which door and what species they are..... so yea.... keep guessing! i'll tell you which ones are right on your first guess but then im just telling you how many are right. and i've only gotten guesses for doors. you can guess what demons they are too. leave a comment here or on my wall and i'll let you know how you're doing! bye bye now!