C71: One less worry

The Endless War

 

"Someone in this house is in pain..." Yoon Mi couldn't shake off that feeling of depression and hurt. 
 
They were all in the library pouring over books trying to find powers that could link to those words.
 
*Tell me about it* DaeHyun rolled his eyes. *I'm in pain everyday* he mutters as he look at page after boring page, wishing he had a medical book in his hands.
 
When it was night out they would practice her power over the element but she having a hard time not to create an earthquake as she tried to form spikes and cracks in the earth.
 
Eva seemed to be having fun yelling at Yoon Mi in her mind over how her powers should be used and how to wield it.
 
"Hurt? But none of us are in any emotional or physical pain... Well, not as bad compared to back then" HimChan answered back. Inwardly glad at the minor distraction.
 
"I don't know" Yoon Mi scratched her head in confusion. "I just feel that someone in this house is really sad and is probably crying right now seeing how I feel like crying myself" 
 
*I thought you're not as upset over your past anymore?* DaeHyun mind spoke to everyone in the room.
 
"I'm not. But this doesn't feel like my own grief, it feels foreign to me. I keep hearing 'Min Hyun' in my head..." Yoon Mi frowned at the echoes in her mind, finding them very unpleasant.
 
*Min Hyun? Isn't that my younger brother's name?* DaeHyun looked at her in confusion.
 
"Maybe we were over thinking on some of your gift." YoungJae said as he closed the book in his hands. "Your second gift is clearly empathy. You can feel other people's pain and suffering"
 
*But it doesn't explain whose pain it is* HimChan wondered to himself.
 
"Now it just leaves light and dream" Zelo flipped the pages lazily, trying to fight back a yawn that was forming in the back of his throat.
 
*Yoon Mi, do you think that dreams could be those that you had while we were travelling?* DaeHyun suddenly thought.
 
"It's possible. I had always thought that it was because of the blood you gave but I guess it could be because it's one of my powers." Yoon Mi shelved her empathetic feelings at the moment. If she didn't start practicing how to block of some that power she might be crying at everyone and everything that she comes across.
 
"So the last mystery we have now is 'light' " YongGuk leaned back into the recliner.
 
"Do you think she'll be able to glow in the dark?" JongUp asked innocently.
 
The guys sent him a what-the-hell look while Yoon Mi laughed "I hope not... It wouldn't be a very useful gift to glow in the dark since most of us are able to see without light." 
 
Deliberating more over what her last power possibly might be until dinner time, they were forced to put their thoughts on hold as they had to make their way down for dinner with Elder Yong.
 
It was a quiet affair seeing how DaeHyun's father and Lea were still in the mansion overstaying their welcome.
 
Not sure if he was imagining things, HimChan thought that Lea's eyes were rather red and puffy as if she was crying not too long ago. Developing a hunch that the pain Yoon Mi felt probably came from her.
 
*How do I get her to talk to me without using my gift?* HimChan thought as he ate the food.
 
Following Lea after their dinner ended. He was glad that she took a different path from DaeHyun's father and was walking towards the outdoor garden instead.
 
"What do you want?" She asked when she came to a stop by one of the fountains.
 
"I'm just wondering if you're alright." HimChan tried to be casual about the matter and not to come off as forceful like his previous attempts. "You looked like you were crying before this"
 
"I'm not alright and do me a favor by staying away from me" Lea turned away to face the fountain, clenching her hands together until her knuckles turned white. 
 
*Stop behaving like Min Hyun would and seeing through my act. It's bad enough with his father on our backs, I don't need you as well...* Her heart ached, growing weary and tired of everything. 
 
She didn't ask for all of this. All she ever did was fall in love with Min Hyun and was planning to get engaged.
 
Already learning of how to take care of the clan with Min Hyun, they hoped to be able to look after the clan well in the future but neither of them knew of the elder brother that existed beyond the clan walls.
 
Since their rules dictate that only the eldest son is able to become clan leader. It meant that Min Hyun would not be able to become the person he was taught to be for his entire life. Along with his childhood love; Lea was forced to leave him and be engaged to some complete stranger.
 
Letting out a shaky breath, Lea stared at the sky and saw only a few constellations shining in the dark night. *I wish I was back home with you looking at the sky that is filled with stars and promises of the future Min Hyun... The night sky here is so disappointing* she thought as a silent tear slid down her face.
 
"You don't really wish to be here do you" HimChan guessed, seeing her cry since he never left the garden in the first place.
 
"What does it matter if I wish to be here or not?" Lea's voice was cold and angry. Taking quick strides to leave the garden in a hurry, she couldn't believe he saw her weak side. 
 
"It matters because my friend's happiness is dependent on it." HimChan watched her leave; pausing briefly at the door before slamming it shut after her.
 
-
*We need to do something* DaeHyun paced back and forth the study room where all of them gathered again. *I'll go crazy if they have to stay any longer*
 
"What can we do to make them leave?" JongUp asked as he inspected the plant he held in his hands. "We can't exactly shove them out of the house." He commented as he made the plant bloom in different shades.
 
"It's not possible for HimChan to get them to leave because once his powers wear off they'll come back..." Zelo leaned back into the couch and sighed.
 
DaeHyun stared at the pages of the book in his hand. It was about the ancient traditions and customs observed by his clan. 
 
He had read that book many times before but he couldn't understand why he felt like looking through it again.
 
What exactly was he supposed to find in there?
 
After some time, one by one they eventually left the library. Unable to stand the monotony of what they were doing, soon DaeHyun and YoungJae were the only ones left in the room.
 
"Yah, Jung DaeHyun, why are you always on that same page no matter how many times I walk past you?" The irritation in YoungJae's voice was evident.
 
*I have no idea, I picked out a lot of books, flipped a lot of pages but it seems like I keep coming back to this book and page* DaeHyun felt stressed as he ran a hand through his hair.
 
"What does that page say?" YoungJae asked when his irritation eventually gave way to curiosity.
 
*Challenging an elder...* DaeHyun trailed off when he realized the three words that he said. *Holy crap, I've been staring at the answer all along!* 
 
YoungJae pried the book from DaeHyun's hands and quickly scanned the page. "You do realize that you have to fight your old man right?"
 
"I know ..." His expression solemn and grave. "How on earth do I take down an elite?"
 
-
 
Searching high and low for a particular person, Yoon Mi couldn't stand how she felt anymore.
 
She had already practiced how to block out her gift of empathy but the level that Lea had was way beyond what she could handle. Having enough, she decided to take it into her own hands.
 
Finding her in the garden "Can you do something about your grief?" Yoon Mi said bluntly.
 
"What are you talking about?" Lea glared at her. 
 
"I've had enough of how you feel sorry for Min Hyun, if you're really sorry go and do something about it already!" Yoon Mi waved her hands in the air, beginning to lose her cool.
 
"Do you think it's that easy!" Lea retorted.
 
"Did you even try doing something?!" Yoon Mi yelled back at her. The ground was beginning to rumble and realizing that she was the cause of it, she quickly took a seat trying to take deep breaths to calm herself down.
 
Lea was stunned by the sudden outburst of power and emotion from Yoon Mi. Elemental control wasn't common and back home, there was only an old man who had control over wind and would accidentally cause a sandstorm outside their town when he sneezed.
 
It was good for them because it prevented anyone from venturing near their town in the middle of the desert but aside from that, it was really boring because he never did or showed anyone else what he was capable of.
 
"Is Min Hyun asleep at this timing?" Yoon Mi's voice was low from her effort in keeping herself in check.
 
Nodding slightly, Lea wondered what was going on when she was being dragged from the garden into the house and into Yoon Mi's room.
 
"Think only about Min Hyun" Lea jumped slightly at the no nonsense voice. "Close your eyes and let your mind be filled entirely about him"
 
Hesitantly doing as told, Lea soon found herself in a white space.
 
"Lea?" The girl froze in place. Unable to believe her ears.
 
"Min Hyun?" Her voice was shaky and fearful. 
 
Arms went around her torso and she was enveloped in an embrace so familiar and comforting. Her breakdown was inevitable.
 
"It's my father isn't it." Min Hyun whispered. "He's being hard on you"
 
Covering her face, Lea cried when she heard his words. 
 
Holding her at arms length Min Hyun noticed her fully covered appearance. He pulled up her sleeves not caring if the seams came apart from his rough treatment.
 
"He inflicted poison on you" Min Hyun's eyes widened and his voice came out as harsh whisper when he saw the cuts and bruises that weren't healing right.
 
"I am so sorry Lea..." Bringing his lips to her wounds, literally kissing her pain away and healing her injuries. "I can't believe he's doing this to you"
 
Watching him as he heal her injuries "but what can we do? Your father is adamant on bringing your older brother home."
 
"We can try persuading the rest of the town leaders to stop focusing on someone who does not want to lead and to accept me instead" Min Hyun answered with hopeful eyes. "I need you here with me."
 
"I-I don't know if I can leave..." Lea was fearful of being caught by his father. "What if I get caught by him?"
 
"Don't worry about leaving, I can get them to help you with that" Yoon Mi said, finally making her presence known and startling the two. Seeing the earlier intimacy that was being displayed, she didn't really know when she could step in.
 
"Let's get working on helping you get back" Yoon Mi rubbed her hands together in glee. It was good to know that Lea was not on Leader Jung's side.
 

Annyeong!

As I was keeping a backup of my story on my laptop, I realized that my chapters looked really short >.< I thought that it was longer because I've always been viewing it on my phone.

I might be trying to write longer chapters~ well, that's if I can manage to get past my writer's block >.<

With love;

Violynn (13/05/07 ; 7:30pm)