♚ E I G H T E E N

♚ I R E M E M B E R ♚

 

 

 

♚♔♚♔♚♔

 

 

E I G H T E E N 

 

 

 

 

"There’s only one chance as you walk on this dark path
Shine the light like Martin Luther King
Get your mind outta the gutter
It’s too early for failure, you’re still young."

-One Shot, B.A.P 

 

 

It was Jong Up who spoke next, shattering the revolution I’d just had about Baekho.

 

“We won’t be defeated. That’s the deal we’re making – unless you’re too to fight us,” He spat angrily, glaring at Baekho. I was too stunned, too surprised by the face of my childhood friend on the other screen that I forgot to hold back Jong Up’s words, which elicited a response of pure joy on JR’s face. “Fine. We’ll make the deal with you – but you’ve got to meet us at our grounds.” Although I could barely make out his words, my thoughts too muddled by Dong Ho, I knew that this meant they would have the advantage. They knew every nook and cranny of their grounds, and land always played an especially important role during combat. They could sneak in an unknown alleyway while we were hiding, and bring down our whole gang in minutes with the asset. Yong Guk, however, barely looked surprised and kept his confident demeanour composed. “Fine,” he said, nodding. Baekho looked satisfied, and shot a leering grin towards him. “Next Tuesday at midnight. Pitmatgol.”

 

Daehyun shot a concerned look at me, and I knew my frown mirrored his.

 

Pitmatgol?

 

That place was abandoned and demolished, destroyed by the government’s failed attempt of rebuilding in order to restore the city. However, after it was discovered that there wasn’t enough funding, the project had been dropped and gangs soon began to flock towards it. It was all rats and rubble now, a lost memory that hung stiffly in the winds of Seoul. And it was one of the worst neighbourhoods in town due to the heady, rotting stench, the frequent murders and killings of stray passerby, and the brutality of NU’EST. Even though Yong Guk knew all this, he was going, ignoring the risks and terrors involved for Zelo. “Fine,” he said, not a hint of insecurity finding its way into his voice. Baekho looked smug, while Yong Guk motioned to Young Jae to prepare to close the webcam. “We’ll see you then,” he began, “but we expect Zelo to be taken care of with the best accommodations available – otherwise, the deal’s off.”

 

“Of course.” Baekho responded. “Aron will see to it immediately.”

 

The dark-haired NU’EST member Baekho pointed at looked disgusted with the thought, but under Baekho’s cool gaze, immediately set to work untying the ropes that bound Zelo. “However, if he dares to go on the offensive, you know we’ll kill him,” Aron spat, glaring at the tawny haired boy in the chair, who looked much too weak to even lift a finger at him. His facial expression full of fury as the ropes dropped to the ground, Aron seemed as if all he wanted was to pull a knife and slit Zelo then and there. However, true to his word, Zelo was eventually untied, and one of the lower ranked members of NU’EST brought a bowl of lukewarm soup to him. “Farewell, then,” Daehyun said softly, looking at Zelo with worry. There was nothing left to be said here, and yet behind the scenes our group had so much to say to each other.

 

“Not so fast,” Baekho warned.

 

Himchan looked exasperated. “What the hell do you want – again?”

 

“We have one more condition. Let me talk to that person there, alone.”

 

He looked in my direction, and all of the BAP members glanced at me in surprise. “Io?” Yong Guk’s voice rumbled in his smooth baritone, sending shivers down my spine. Baekho nodded, smiling grimly at me. “That girl – I mean, boy,” he began slowly, savouring the words in his mouth, knowing that this was what a dirty secret tasted like. At the notion of the word girl, Yong Guk and Himchan immediately tensed, Yong Guk’s body sharply angling towards mine in defense. Baekho looked utterly thrilled by the body language they were sending, while I glared at him reproachfully. “He captured my attention. It seems as if his looks could give Ren a run for his money, right?” He chimed, his voice almost chirpy. At his name being mentioned, Ren stuck his face into the webcam window and rolled his eyes. “That punk looks nothing even close to my level,” he glared, shaking his head. "Look at that damn complexion and grimy clothes - pathetic." 

 

“What do you want with him?” Himchan growled, his muscles flexing. 

 

“Oh, just a chat,” Baekho said, as he waved away the NU’EST members. “It’ll only be me and him. See?” He said, as the other members of the gang left from the back of their hideout. Even JR, the leader who was famous for his stubborn personality, barely made an argument at Baekho’s request. Although NU’EST rarely looked bothered by the prospect of a one-to-one conversation, Yong Guk looked disgusted. “I won’t allow it,” He said angrily, while Daehyun leaned to Young Jae’s side, getting ready to tell him to immediately cut off connection with NU’EST. Glancing at them, I knew that I had to do this, and that Baekho would have answers that I needed. From Zelo to my brother – Baekho probably had the explanations that I’d been searching so desperately for. It was a selfish wish, and completely against the protection the BAP members wanted to give me, but I knew that if I didn’t take the chance I would regret it.

 

“It’s alright,” I said calmly, staring at Baekho. “You guys go into your rooms. I can handle this,” I said, giving Yong Guk a look of confidence.

 

“No.” He snapped, glaring at Baekho. “I won’t let you. Not if I can’t hear in on the conversation as well. Is there a secret you’re keeping from us, Baekho?”

 

“If there is, it’s between me and Io,” He said, grinning cheekily, while I closed my eyes at the fiery agitation that Baekho was purposely igniting. He’d always been like this as a child, extremely protective towards those he as close with but hard-headed towards his enemies. I saw Yong Guk’s facial expression tense, so I touched my leg to his in a gesture that Baekho wouldn’t be able to see. “I’ll be fine. Gotta be a man for the team, right?” I said, giving him a small grin. “You guys rest up first, you’ll need the sleep. Go on,” I urged. Yong Guk was about to protest, but Himchan heard the desperation in my voice, and quickly pulled at Yong Guk’s arm. “He’ll be okay.” He said, and as Yong Guk finally relented, shooting a poisonous look at Baekho. Once all the members had filed out of the room and the room was silent, I placed my hands in my lap, and glanced at him. 

 

"Nice to see you again,  ________. It's been a while, hasn't it?" 

 

" you, Kang Dong Ho," I said, as I stuck up my middle finger and grimaced. 

 

 

 

I REMEMBER IS OFFICALLY OFF HIATUS! YAY! 

Dear all, I'm terribly sorry I haven't updated in so long.

It's been almost a year since I wrote this, and I'm still not finished, but I'M BACK! 

Thank you so much to all my supporters for being there for me.

And to all new subbies, please enjoy!