Chapter 7

All I do is Wait

People always assumed that Junmyeon was the responsible one. It was always on his shoulder that many responsibilities rested.  Since childhood, if some task had to be done, he was the first to be given. 

Now, it weighed his shoulders.

Baekhyun’s text had jostled him into thinking the worst, the members had started fighting, they were caught doing something they should not have been and so on. But it was Jongdae’s text that had helped him sail through the meeting. And when he found Kris waiting outside with a smile, he felt all the anxiety leave with the deep breath he let out.

“Scared to go in?” Kris smirked.

“Aren’t you?” he asked. Kris looked steady, unlike Junmyeon who was fidgeting on the heels of his shoes and his fingers intertwined.

“You know you let Baekhyun rile you up too easily!” Kris knocked his fist against Junmyeon’s shoulder, “Let’s go, we still have practice too.”

“Yeah, let’s,” Junmyeon said as they entered the building. 

Minseok had told him to find them in the cafeteria. And that’s exactly what they did. 

The scene wasn’t a far cry from what they would usually find in the dorms or practise sessions.

Jongin was free styling as Minseok and Baekhyun egged him on. Junmyeon often wondered who really the maknaes and the hyungs were in this group. Kris directed his attention by patting his shoulder. 

Just a glance and a nod was passed and without a single word being spoken. Kris would go for practice while Junmyeon handled the trio. As Kris left his side, shouts increased in volume. 

 

“Go Jongin!!! Go Jongin!!!Go Jongin!!!”

Junmyeon joined them silently. Jongin didn’t see Junmyeon come in, but the other two did. Baekhyun retreated his leg from the chair and lept to sit next to them, as Junmyeon whispered,

“What happened? What was the SOS text for?”

“Jongin was being bothered by that group again,” Minseok whispered in between his chants.

“I'll talk to both the managers this time. Your message sounded urgent, I was afraid they did something,” Junmyeon said as he pulled a bottle stacked from the table. He could only cringe as the lukewarm water rushed down his throat. He looked at the two, who wore cautious expressions even as they continued cheering. He frowned at their silence. He looked around and noticed Baekhyun holding a towel, the towel with some stains. The more he looked the more it looked like blood. Baekhyun saw him looking and immediately threw it in his bag, hoping he would not have seen it at all. Junmyeon, already had, couldn’t help but cry out, 

“What the…Is that blood? Baekhyun! Did you hurt yourself??Why is there blood?? Whose blood is that?”

The cry drew Jongin’s attention. He froze and in a choked up voice he asked, “Blood? Hyung?? Kyung-Kyungsoo was??? Oh my god! He went to practice with injuries???” At the end he was practically screeching.

“Jongin,” Minseok said, at the same time as,

“What!!? What the hell happened?” Junmyeon cried out.

“Calm down!! Both of you! Jongin, wash up or join us,” Minseok commanded and to Junmyeon he said, “as I was saying, they were bothering Jongin. This time, they wanted to use more than words.” Jongin sat down close to Baekhyun. he  wrapped a new towel around him and Jongin grabbed his hand and held on to it.

“Jongin came in alone and they were waiting for him. Jongdae, Minseok and I were running late, otherwise we would have reached before everyone. They cornered Jongin in the corridor. Chanyeol said that Kyungsoo saw them shouting at Jongin, so he ran to deal with them,” Baekhyun said.

Junmyeon slumped in his chair. 

This, he had not expected to happen. 

More like he hoped for it to not happen. He had spoken to the leader of that group, hoping that it would be enough. they all had been busy with their debut, stage and everything that came after. He had hoped it would remain this peaceful, but…

“Jongin, are you okay?” Junmyeon suddenly shot back and grabbed Jongin’s hand, “Did they hurt you?”

“I…I am okay, but I did not know Kyungsoo was hurt!! Chanyeol Hyung dragged me here because Kyungsoo told him to. And… and then… Then Baekhyun hyung and everyone kept me here! Even though I wanted to go help Kyungsoo, they didn’t let me! Everyone went to practice while we waited for you. But they did not tell me…I didn’t know he was injured. They didn’t tell me!” Jongin hiccuped, eyes dropping tears fast. Baekhyun pulled him in and hugged him. Minseok petted his shoulder to soothe him.

“I am sorry Jongin, I thought those boys would have learned to be better,” Junmyeon said. Minseok held his hand to console him as well.

When Minseok whispered, “Jun? Are you okay?”

He shrugged and asked, “Did anyone see anything?”

Minseok shook his head, “the rooms were empty. By the time I came, he was already talking to the leader, and was done with them. When I asked him, he said he has dealt with them, that they won't be bothering any of us.”

Baekhyun asked, “Dealt with them? By beating them up? Won’t that be a problem Hyung?”

Junmyeon sighed, but Minseok leaned forward as he answered, “No, you don't get it, he said he dealt with them, meaning they won’t be reporting to anyone and that they won’t be bothering anyone anymore. Not here or at the dorms or anywhere else.” 

He leaned back and sighed as he said, “And, I believe him.”

“I do, too,” Junmyeon said just as quickly. 

Jongin was surprised at the confidence. 

“They did get beat up right? They had injuries? Then how come they won’t report it?” Jongin asked. Minseok had nodded at all of the statements.

Junmyeon sighed again and let his head rest on the table. Minseok shifted his hand from shoulder to Junmyeon’s hair.

Baekhyun spoke, “Tao saw them asking to be pardoned for the day and making their way out. He said none of them had any visible injuries. Also they totally ignored him, Lu Han and Yixing on their way out.”

“Can both of you tell me what truly happened?” Junmyeon asked, head still on the table.

“Sorry hyung, but we both have been here, ” Baekhyun said.

“Hyung, did you see injuries on Kyungsoo?”

“Not me, Baekhyun did them,” Minseok said, “I only spoke to Kyungsoo before he left for practice.”

“Baekhyun, should he have gone for practice?” Junmyeon asked. 

At the silence he received, Junmyeon looked up from the table. Baekhyun was anything but silent most of the time and now he had a guilty expression. Soon he started to fidget as all eyes turned to him. Minseok frowned but said nothing.

“What is it?” Junmyeon nudged gently, “Baekhyun, whatever it is, please tell us.”

“Umm…so I only helped wash his hands and wounds on them. Then suddenly Tao was there and he made me pass on a towel to Jongin. They were there for some time. He and Kyungsoo didn’t really tell me anything. So, I don't really know if he should have or not,” he said guiltily. Jongin pressed himself closer to relieve that tension in Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun let himself lean on the shivering dongsaeng.

“Hyung?” Junmyeon asked.

“His knuckles were busted, his glasses were absolutely wonky, and he said he could feel the bruises on his chest. Tao and he had taken quite a few more rolls, I guess to restrain his chest to prevent further damage, if any,” Minseok filled in. Junmyeon let his head fall back. Minseok patted his back in sympathy.

“I see,” Junmyeon said after some time, head still on the table, “Jongin, wash up and go for practice. I would rather you went back to the dorms, but if it is safe now, then don't miss out. We all will follow in a minute.” Minseok nodded, approvingly. 

Junmyeon did sit up when Jongin left. As did Baekhyun, pulling himself closer to the two hyungs.