chapter 18

All I do is Wait

After a short session of rough housing and teasing each other, they got comfortable on the sofa. Jongin was still clinging to Kyungsoo and holding Chanyeol's hand in Kyungsoo's lap, but Kyungsoo felt it was progress. Progress from his almost choking tight hug and almost sitting in his lap.

“Jongin, what..” Chanyeol started.

“Chanyeol, has Baekhyun Hyung arrived?” Kyungsoo interrupted him, because he felt Jongin tense as soon as Chanyeol asked. 

Chanyeol paused, looking down at Kyungsoo. At his nod and Jongin's head disappearing into Kyungsoo's neck he answered, “He is roaming with Jongdae Hyung so that others could ready the room.”

“We still have that after party-party at the dorm right?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Yeah, just delayed a little,” Chanyeol replied. He yawned and stretched out his only free arm. He tried to be smooth and place it behind their shoulders. But of course he wasn’t that smooth. Kyungsoo noticed it and stared at him, and it did not help when Jongin came out of hiding in Kyungsoo's neck to look at him as well. Chanyeol expected giggles and brushing off of his hand and so he resolutely looked down at his sneakers.

But he felt their heads laid on his hand. He smiled as he brushed his hand down Jongin's hair to his shoulder, pushing himself towards them and pulling them in. He only had to bend down a little for his head to occupy Kyungsoo's unoccupied shoulder. But that was okay.

“Kyungsoo, how's Baekhyun doing?” Chanyeol asked.

“He is,” Kyungsoo started and paused. When the pause continued, Chanyeol raised himself to look at him.

Kyungsoo's eyes were open, and he was looking at his and Jongin's hand in his lap. Chanyeol's hand had completely enveloped Jongin's. ‘Was Kyungsoo jealous?’ Chanyeol wondered, ‘no way! Must be my own silly assumption. But wait,...why is he…’

His train of thoughts stilled when Kyungsoo raised his hand and looked at theirs, before placing his gingerly on top of Jongin's. Chanyeol automatically opened his palm and grabbed Kyungsoo's hand with ease. He chuckled at how easily Jongin's hand was now sandwiched between his and Kyungsoo's. Kyungsoo did not look at him, but Chanyeol could see a tiny smile. He squeezed their hands once.

“He is doing better,” Kyungsoo finally answered, “I am hoping to talk to him face to face today.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you spoke to him over the phone,” Chanyeol asked, because he knew Kyungsoo would leave jam sessions with new trainees when Sehun suddenly had a 'job' for him.

“I did, but it was always short, I didn’t want to intrude on his time with family,” Kyungsoo answered.

“You kept in touch with Baekhyun Hyung?” Jongin asked, “I thought we weren’t allowed to talk to him!”

“We weren't, but Sehun and Tao came up with a way to be able to use phones, without the company finding out. Sehun used that and whose phone was it, Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol explained but pushed himself away from the sofa to look at Kyungsoo.

“Baekhyun Hyung's father,” he replied.

“I heard Sehun had to lock apps on his phone though?” Chanyeol asked.

Jongin lifted his head to ask, “What? Why?”

“Because he kept wanting to check social media,” Kyungsoo answered, “it was very difficult to convince him to practice when he was here and just focus on resting when he was on a break.”

“I hope we get a break soon!! I’m tired of the intense training they are putting us through,” Chanyeol complained, “How’re your sessions going?”

“I am made to train newer trainees and idols who are yet to debut. Some of them are pretty cool, but many of them struggle with language.” Jongin replied, “Few of them are so well trained, but the company wants to retrain them.”

“Yeah, they got some dope trainees and idols in training from different countries!!!” Chanyeol supplied excitedly, “I can’t wait to meet them for a session! What about you Kyungsoo?”

“The vocal training has become more intense. We haven’t had new idols or trainees join us yet, but we met them in dance practice.” Kyungsoo said, “Going on stage and variety shows would be a pleasant break from this.” By the time he finished, Kyungsoo was more relaxed. Head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, eyes closed, deep and slow breathing.

“Yeah, Jongdae told me, you guys are drilled by the trainers and managers, aren’t you?” At his nod, Chanyeol continued, “you’re right, stage performance and variety shows would be a pleasant break!!” he also leaned back and closed his eyes like Kyungsoo. Only Jongin had his puffy eyes open, which stared at the two tired boys.

 

“Do you blame Baekhyun Hyung for all the canceled shows, appearances and increased practice?” Jongin asked, after what seemed like an eternity. 

At his question, Kyungsoo frowned and opened his eyes to look at him. Jongin tried to pull his hand back. He wanted to hide from both. But Chanyeol did not let up and was now staring at him as well. This was a landmine, he knew because he was being made to step on it soon.

“Jongin, do you blame Baekhyun Hyung for that?” Kyungsoo asked

“Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol started but even he paused when Jongin burst out,

“Of course not! But…” Jongin couldn’t continue.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo said, “the matter could have been handled differently. It was not his fault. It wasn’t anybody but their business. Whether it was a date or friends meeting up or two colleagues discussing, it was supposed to be between two individuals, and that is how it should have remained, private.”

“But what if it was…”Jongin started, but was scared to continue. 

He looked at Chanyeol and back at Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun Hyung and Kyungsoo were close. They became even closer since Tao left, but he and Chanyeol Hyung had also grown close. Planning, plotting, and adjusting so that they could spend more time with Kyungsoo, all but very subtly. Of course, Jongdae Hyung and Minseok Hyung had helped them with schedules and skirting around the trainers, but at the end of the day it was Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and him in the dorm room. Chanyeol Hyung's encouraging nod pushed him to say,

“What if it was staged?”

Kyungsoo looked away, frown still in place. As much as Jongin wanted to wipe it away with his fingers, he stayed still, waiting for Kyungsoo's answer.

“Then isn’t the company to blame for this?” Chanyeol answered but even he was waiting for an answer from Kyungsoo.

It was a tense moment as they both waited, where Chanyeol rubbed Jongin's back in an effort to soothe him, Jongin rubbed thumb on Chanyeol's hand to soothe him, and they both stared at Kyungsoo.

“Is that what they want you to do? Staged dates?” Kyungsoo asked.

Jongin's eyes widened and he completely froze at Kyungsoo’s bang on deduction.

“I am guessing they did,” Kyungsoo continued.

“How’d you know?” Chanyeol and Jongin asked simultaneously.

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin, then at Chanyeol, “because of his question. Sehun has been complaining since the last few months that Jongin has been taking his spot in few of the shows. The guest in the room was the one we had to speak to, to get Baekhyun Hyung a week off. It wasn’t a big leap.”

To Jongin, he brushed his hair back from his forehead and said,

“I don’t know whether it was staged or not for Baekhyun Hyung. If they want to stage it for you, they need your permission. Baekhyun Hyung told me that the company had leaked the news, so if you don’t agree…”

“They already staged it and leaked it,” Jongin sobbed, “They have already approved the release for tomorrow.” His sobs increased in intensity. It felt natural to Kyungsoo to pull away his hand and bring Jongin into a hug. The force with which Jongin leapt into his arms forced Kyungsoo to lean into Chanyeol's chest.

“I am so sorry Jongin,” Kyungsoo said.

“We are here for you,” Chanyeol said as he used his long hands to bring both his boys into a hug.