chapter 15

All I do is Wait

Junmyeon could not believe how messed up everything got. Baekhyun received a huge backlash for the statement. Junmyeon and Baekhyun had a tough time MCing, people shouted traitor whenever Baekhyun spoke. Brave heart that Baekhyun was, he endured it with a smile. He was quiet throughout the journey back home and only after properly stepping into their dorm, did Baekhyun break down. The pressure of being watched all the time, the razor sharp performances’, and their own struggles to meet these expectations was tiring. Tiring physically, mentally and emotionally.

Because of massive hatred spilled online, when Baekhyun asked for a week off from practice, it was promptly given. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo took over the MCing events Junmyeon and Baekhyun had. During this time, the company decided to pair off idols that had debuted as couples. Junmyeon did not like it, nor did many other idols, but most saw it as an opportunity to boost popularity numbers. Junmyeon was okay with it as long as they got a say in it. Which was not going to be the case this time. Again.

 

 

“Let me get this straight,” Jongdae asked, “they want to pair one of our maknaes', and send them on 'dates'? Even after everything Baekhyun went through?”

“Jongdae, they have already been sending the 'couples' they think will work out well in the media,” Minseok answered. To Junmyeon he asked, “Do you still not know which of our maknaes'?”

Junmyeon looked at Jongdae and Minseok. With Kris, sharing responsibilities made things easier. But with Jongdae, Minseok, and Yixing, it became easier to manage the group. They enabled him to be a better leader to lead, often jostling his burden, or his responsibilities towards the group members. They had no calms in pointing out his mistakes, but at the same time it was always a guide to improve.

Like, Jongdae's suggestion to have a beagle line of Baekhyun, Chanyeol and himself, and letting Kyungsoo back in maknae line. Junmyeon did not think it made any difference, neither did the trainers.  As a group they had now learned to rely on each other from time to time. He just hoped that the company's decision would not affect the group and their camaraderie.

“But how does that make any sense?” Jongdae cried out. Minseok looked at him worriedly because Jongdae banged his hand hard on the table.

“Jongdae, is your hand okay?” Minseok asked as he tried to take Jongdae's hand on his own. Jongdae pulled his hand from the table into his own lap and looked at Junmyeon for an answer. Minseok pulled back, awkwardly, disappointment adorning his face. Junmyeon knew exactly how Minseok felt

“They told me that whoever it is, they will be paired with Krystal,” Junmyeon said as he rubbed his eyes in frustration.

“What? Are you serious?” Minseok asked. Jongdae held Junmyeon's gaze. Junmyeon knew that expression, the downward twitch of the eyebrows and a pout. Gears were churning in Jongdae's mind and when the eyebrows shot up with mouth falling open, yes he had the answer.

“What the !” Jongdae exclaimed as he banged his against the table. This time Minseok was quick enough to catch Jongdae's hand before it hit the table again.

“Jongdae! Stop it!” Minseok began, “what is it? What are you thinking?”

Jongdae turned to Minseok, “you remember how Jongin is sent on errands?”

“Yeah, what about it?” Minseok asked as he held Jongdae's hand. Junmyeon's hand twitched to hold them both. Minseok still saw it; he briefly looked at Junmyeon's hand and back to Jongdae. he reached out to hold Junmyeon's hand.

“Well, Sehun asked me if there was something going on with the company, sending Jongin for events he had booked. I even overheard Jongin complain to Kyungsoo how often he is being made to go….and...And just the other day, Minseok Hyung and I saw Kyungsoo and Krystal in a vocal training session…”

“So it is Kyungsoo?” Junmyeon asked

“No, Jongin was trailing behind them. It is Jongin and Krystal,” Minseok replied, “damn, what the hell! When is the meeting?”

“It already happened,” Junmyeon replied.

“Why didn’t you take us?” Jongdae complained, “Why?? Why?”

“Ugh, stop it with that whine Jongdae,” Minseok sighed, “but seriously?”

“I was not told, much less invited, they just told me on my way,” Junmyeon said.

“Not today! Baekhyun is returning to practice today!”

“I know, but it is not like they listen to me,” Junmyeon grumbled. He felt Minseok squeeze his hand in sympathy.

“Let us just hope they don’t mess up anything,” Jongdae offered. Minseok snorted at his comment, for which he received a well deserving punch on the arm by Jongdae.

================================================

“Mr Kim Jongin, can I speak with you for a moment?” The gray suit approached Jongin in the practice room.

“Me? ” asked Jongin and glanced around the room anxiously. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had yet to come from recording, Minseok and Jongdae Hyung were excitedly pointing at Junmyeon Hyung, and he saw Junmyeon Hyung subtly approach him. Sehun and Baekhyun Hyung were supposed to come together. They had planned a surprise for welcoming Baekhyun Hyung after his break. The menu was simple, but they had a cake and some soda senior members had passed on. They all were on a strict diet, so they had hidden things as well as they could.

“Yes, you. Please follow me,” gray suit said. When he turned, he was face to face with Junmyeon.

“What is going on?” he asked.

“I think it is best you don’t interfere, leader,” the grey suit whispered threateningly.

“You are right, I am the leader and you need to tell me what is going on. Otherwise, no one, and I mean no one in this room, is going to listen to you,” Junmyeon said. He was honestly tired of being treated like a child and a commodity who only listened. Jongin already looked a bit spooked.

“Jongin, please follow me,” the grey suit said and purposely bumped his shoulder with Junmyeon. He reached the door and turned and waited, thinking that Jongin would open the door for him. when he realized there was no one behind him. He looked back to see Jongin standing where he had been standing. Before he could say a single word, the door opened wide, hitting him in the process. Grey suit's shoulder collided with the door, the same one he had used to brush aside Junmyeon. It wasn’t much of a hit though, just a push, but enough for him to bump into the wall.

 

“I am here! And now let us dance the night away!” Chanyeol danced as he entered. He always had to make an entrance that was dramatic when he was happy.