Chapter 5

All I do is Wait

Junmyeon’s eyes roamed around the green room as he sat down on a bench, opposite the makeup station.

They all were dripping with sweat, their make up was dripping out with it. Tissues papers were uselessly dabbed on faces, breathing was hard from the encore performance. And yet…

Yet their faces were lit up with excitement. Faces were filled with smiles and bodies full of energy.

The anxiety of debuting and performing had melted to core and gave way to confidence and a thirst for performing again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

As they watched their performance on the TV mounted in the green room. it was obvious to them now, the difference between practicing and performing. 

Junmyeon was so very proud. 

He was so very proud of them.

Pride rose in him for being part of this group and being their leader. Even though, he often felt incompetent in handling them, he was still very proud to be standing as a group.

Thinking back on their first step to form a group, from the initial assigned 30 trainees, there were 12 who remained. Many left as soon as they were placed, some after not getting along with others, and rest were eliminated.

Coming back to the present, his eyes inevitably made contact with his hyungs’ and they beamed a big grin before turning away. Kris walked towards him with a bottle of water and sat next to him as Junmyeon and he started discussing how the performance went. One thing that Kris agreed with him from the beginning was their absolute inability to deal with the energetic members, and being surprised at how they all came together when the time came. Kris pointed at the room in general and Junmyeon looked around the room again.

Yixing, Jongin and Sehun were discussing the choreography and how to adjust it for next time with the choreographer. They were pitching in suggestions here and there while gulping down water, bottle after bottle. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae were discussing changes to the music and possible ad-libs that can be added. Minseok and Lu Han pitched in suggestions to both the groups. Tao was distributing tissues, but mostly dabbing their faces for them, since hyungs were too busy talking. Kyungsoo was distributing bottles of water, prying empty water bottles off from members, mostly Yixing, and replacing them. Since Sehun was being ignored by the choreographer, he started this game of bottle throwing with Kyungsoo and Tao. They would whistle at intervals and Kyungsoo would throw them a bottle. Between the three of them, they kept doing this, and after a while they would do it without looking at each other. Minseok and Kris had started giving them the stink eye whenever he saw it. It was truly annoying at how well it was going and for how long it had been going on for.

But for Junmyeon, it was this moment that filled him with pride. They finally debuted, Junmyeon thought. Debut together that too!!!

And here they were, planning the next appearance instead of resting. From practice hall, monthly inspections, and the final company showcase, they had worked so hard and come so far. 

“It feels like an honor, doesn’t it?” Kris said as bumped his shoulder with Junmyeon. Junmyeon glanced at him and nodded.

****************************************************************

They were finally done with their schedule for the week. Interviews, music stages, award shows, appearances, along with vlives thrown in here and there, they were finally given a short break. The show was just a pit stop before they were to start with a comeback during christmas.

As it always is, the break got over much quickly before they truly could feel well-rested.

It wasn't even a day into it and there were issues to deal with. Not only was the hustle of trainers and trainees in the newly assigned center, but also noise of newer groups debuting, personal stories leaking out, media attacking them, rumors within the company, and on top of that the dorm required major repairs. A fixed schedule could not be made and dorms were now reserved only for trainees. They had debuted and were asked to make personal arrangements for some time. Few could find accommodations, for others who could not find anything, company arranged stay. So they were split and had no fixed schedule to report to. 

This made it difficult and painstakingly annoying to get into the mood to practice.

 

Jongin was early, because he wanted to practice solo. He wanted to cover Taemin’s song and the solo they had choreographed over the phone during the week. As he entered the building, he smiled at the logo of 'EXO' on the canvas adorning entrance. He was thinking back to their debut stage as he walked the lobby and turned their practice room. He realized a bit that there were people blocking the door, and that they were waiting for him. It was a group made up of exo haters, more specifically, the ones that hated him and made sure he knew that they hated him.

“You must be really proud huh, getting thrown together as a last resort,” the one in front said.

“Yeah, it was a fluke anyways, you guys will never get to our level,” said another.

Jongin wanted to remind them that Exo had aced three consecutive inspections before preparing for the album. Their debut was well received by the public and the critics, to the extent that senior members from the company had personally come to congratulate them. They were promoting not only in Korean but also Japan and China, simultaneously. 

His group was no longer just a trainee group, but an idol group!! 

But he did not want to talk to them. He let them say their usual spiel and waited for it to be over. Usually, s always found him and so he could escape. Hyungs had warned him to walk away or ignore them or not go anywhere near them, which is why he stood and stared at the floor as they continued to talk. 

He had to try to convince them to move though.

“Can I please…go… be allowed to….please,” he said, whenever they paused. That only made them shout loudly at him.

With how long it was going on, he started shuffling on his feet, as he realized that they were approaching him. He tried to move away from them but they kept coming towards him. This scared him.

“Please what? You want to know what? Is Junmyeon going to throw you out? What do you need so many vocalists for, is it because everyone else is that bad?”

“They will start getting heat in no time, and will disband anyways. Kai what will you do then?” Another one piped up.

“Please!! Just let me through!!” Jongin pleaded, it was hard enough to hear them say things about him, but the talk of disband always got to him.

“We don't want to, you talentless piece of ” one of them shouted, he was pretty close.

Jongin flinched. He wasn't comfortable with how close they were getting to him. He was almost nearing the glass doors. He was scared, both for himself and the people in front of him. If there was a report of arguments or violence, the company would throw both out, no questions or hesitation. Violence and bullying was looked down upon by the public, so companies wouldn't hesitate throwing out people embroiled in such rumors, fake or real.

And All the hard work would go down the drain. Not just for them but also the group.

 

“Please, just stop!” he pleaded one more time, still looking at his sneakers, hoping this time his pitiful cry would make them leave. But he could hear zippers and some noise from behind him. As he raised his head and


 

Suddenly he was pulled back 


 

As he balanced himself and uprighted from the pull, he saw something flying at him, at his face to be more precise. 

He closed his eyes on instinct.

“Hide behind me,” a voice told him as a hand pushed back Jongin’s shoulder down. Jogin easily hid behind the back and leaned on the person’s back. It was some time when a hand brushed his hand and he opened his eyes and saw

Kyungsoo

Who was standing in front of him and there were multiple bottles rolling around their feet. The other group had stepped back, few nursing their arms and heads.

Kyungsoo had pulled him back, and had swatted bottles of water thrown at him. Another presence made itself felt by pulling Kyungsoo and Jongin underneath their arms.

Jongin turned and saw Chanyeol Hyung.

It was Chanyeol holding Jongin, staring at kyungsoo, just like Jongin was.

“What,” a dazed Jongin said as Kyungsoo shrugged off Chanyeol and stepped forward.

“What is going on?” Kyungsoo asked, his steady voice and face blank of any emotions as they stood with nothing to throw.

“Just a friendly chat,” the leader answered, stepping backwards even further.

“By throwing bottles,” Kyungsoo said more than asked.

“He was thirsty, he said so himself!” one of them replied, few snickered in the group like, “yeah, for attention”

“Throwing them was the only option,” Kyungsoo answered.

“Hey!” the leader said as he raised his finger to accuse him, “you better behave for! I am your senior! Don’t talk to me like that, you brat! Just because you…”

“Few of these are empty, most are half empty, and those are full, this was an assault,” Chanyeol said as he also stepped forward, holding Jongin tight but still a step behind Kyungsoo.

“Chanyeol shut up!! Nobody cares...”

“Leave,” Kyungsoo growled as he approached them, “and that’s the only warning you’ll get.”

“What did you say, you brat?” one of them asked, stepping towards them, “you wanna fight us for this stupid brat?” as he pointed at Jongin.

“No,” Kyungsoo said, “it’ll be for both of them.”

 

what-do-you-look-for-in-guy-i-want-someone-49552011.png