The One That Got Away

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“Nini? Nini? Jen? Jen? Jennie? Hey?” Lisa nudges me, pulling my gaze away from the blonde on the other side of this cafe.

 

“Hmm? What is it?” I turn my attention back to Lisa.

 

“You just zoned out…are you okay?” Lisa looks at me with worried eyes, “Are you sick?” She asks, putting a hand to my forehead.

 

“I’m fine Lili.” I smile at my best friend, pulling her hand away.

 

“You’re obviously not, you look like you saw a…” Lisa trails off when her eyes catch her figure too.

 

“Is that?” Lisa whispers to me and I nod. After all this time she still refuses to dye her hair back to its original colour.

 

“It’s been so long…let’s go say hi?”

 

“Sure.” I smile, ignoring the warning bells in my head. It’s been years and we’ve both moved on….right?

 

“Rosie!” Lisa calls out loudly and the blonde girl turns her attention from her book to us. I watched as Rosie smiled widely, closing her book, and grabbing her drink from the table.

 

“Hi.” Rosie says in that Australian accent that I always found so endearing.

 

“Well hello to you too, stranger!” Lisa gets up engulfing Rosie in a tight hug.

 

“Hi.” I return her greeting with a smile when our eyes meet and suddenly the memory of us enters the forefront of my mind.

 

“Stop it already.”

 

“What? I’m not doing anything.”

 

“Rosie.” I look at the brunette in front of me and my heart skips a beat.

 

“I really don’t know what you're talking about.” Rosie shrugs, sipping on her frappuccino while I try to focus on my work.

 

“The staring..stop with the staring.”

 

“I’m not staring, Jennie.” She says pointedly, as if I don’t feel her gaze following me around the counter.

 

“You are, and..” I caught myself before admitting to her that she was distracting me. Ugh I can already hear her cheekily say ‘oh you think I’m distracting..why Jenjen? Why?’

 

“And???”

 

“And nothing. Just finish so I can clear your table.”

 

“That’s not very good customer service Jenjen.”

 

“You're not a customer if you’re just loitering in here.”

 

“Excuse you, I still have a few sips of my frappe.”

 

“Sure Roseanne.”

 

“Say what you want Jenjen, I know you love it when I come to visit you.” Rosie says in her Australian accent. Damn that accent for making her even more attractive.

 

“Only cause you give me a good tip each time.” I wink at her, before turning my attention to the customer who just walked in.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“So… you and the transfer student?” Lisa wiggles her eyebrows, and I chuckle, shaking my head, “No way. Rosie and I are just..”

 

“Dating.” Rosie answers, placing an arm around my shoulders, “Right Jenjen?” She winks and I roll my eyes, “No way.”

 

“That’s not what you said last night.”

 

“What? Last night? You told me you had work?” Lisa looks at me suspiciously.

 

“I did! Rosie loitered at Blackcup all day again.”

 

“It’s not loitering if I order something.” Rosie defends, with a huff.

 

“Ooookayyyy so in conclusion you're dating got it.” Lisa says with a firm nod.

 

“We’re not!”

 

“We Are!”

 

Rosie and I say at the same time.

 

“You totally are Jenjen.” Lisa teases me, “But even though you’re official,” She turns to Rosie, “Don’t you even think for a second you also become her automatic best friend cause that’s my gig, you got it Park?”

 

“Yes ma’am..” Rosie salutes Lisa, who gives her a nod of approval.

 

“Again, we aren’t a thing.” I try to make it clear to both of them.

 

“We so are.”

 

“You so are.”

 

Now it’s the two talking in sync. Someone, anyone help me.

 

“Just admit it Jenjen, you’re smitten by me as I am to you.” Rosie looks at me.

 

“Who still uses smitten?”

 

“I do..so I’m right then? You are smitten by me?” Rosie has that charming toothless smile on her lips, and I roll my eyes at this, “Whatever, I gotta get to class.” I leave with a smile on my face.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Dude.”

 

“What is it now Lili?” I sigh, lifting my head up to face my best friend who was shooting daggers at me.

 

“Are you seriously going to keep denying it?”

 

“Denying what?”

 

“You and Rosie.”

 

“Not this again.” I roll my eyes. Why can’t anyone seem to understand that Rosie and I are just friends?

 

“C’mon Nini. Be honest here. You’ve been saying you aren’t for 2 months now..but your actions say otherwise.”

 

“My actions don’t say anything but friend and ship.”

 

“Exactly a ship as in you and Rosie..my favourite ship.” Lisa smirks.

 

“You know what I meant.”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Lisa.”

 

“Fine fine…but you know she won’t give up right?”

 

“She will eventually.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Jenjen it’s been 5 months can’t you just admit it already.” Rosie looks at me with pleading eyes.

 

“Admit what?”

 

“That we’ve been dating for almost half a year.” Rosie practically whines. I hold back my chuckle, “I can’t do that.” I say as sternly as possible.

 

“Awwwww whyyyyyyy.” Rosie grabs my hand, swinging it playfully.

 

“Because you never properly asked Roseanne, I’m not that easy you know.” I smirk.

 

“Really?!” Rosie looked at me with wide eyes.

 

“Yeah.” I nod.

 

“Oh my gosh Jenjen.” Rosie facepalms and I chuckle, “That’s it?”

 

“What do you mean that’s it? Just cause you asked that doesn’t mean I’ll say yes.”

 

“If you wanted me to sweep you off your feet, all you had to do was ask Jenjen.” Rosie’s playful smirk comes back and I’m both worried and excited about what she’ll do…but of course I played it cool, “Just keep it simple Park. I gotta go.” I leave, knowing full well Rosie’s going to walk with me to class, “I’ll walk you there.” She says, and I hide my smile.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“AHHHH Finally!!” Lisa squeals when she sees Rosie and I walking hand in hand, “and YOU!” She pulls me away from Rosie, “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me!” She hisses.

 

“Chill Lili, it literally just happened.” I calm my overly dramatic best friend.

 

“And no call, no text, no snap, no dm as soon as it happened? Jennifer, are you serious?”

 

“Don’t call me that.” I playfully rolled my eyes, “Okay by literally just happened, I mean just now…like outside.”

 

“Like 500 feet away?” Lisa motions towards the main entrance of our school.

 

“Yes.” I nod.

 

“That doesn’t make it better, I should have been out there documenting it?! Roseanne the betrayal?!” She turns to Rosie looking like a kicked puppy.

 

“It wasn’t anything grand. I just asked her casually.” Rosie smiles at me and I nod.

 

“You know I don’t like overly grand things Lili.”

 

“True.” Lisa nods, before her aura suddenly darkened, “Okay Park since you’ve finally made it official with Nini here, I’ll only warn you one time.” Lisa steps closer to Rosie, her jaw set, eyes determined. The most serious I’ve ever seen Lisa, “If you ever break her heart, I will break you. Got it?” Lisa asks with folded arms.

 

“Got it.” Rosie awkwardly chuckles, and I grab her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

 

“Jeez, look at you being overly protective all of a sudden.” I smile at Lisa. She’s such a goofball, but she cares about me the most.

 

“Yeah yeah whatever. Just remember my words, Park. And you,” Lisa looks at me, “If she does anything, you better tell me.”

 

“Yes, yes.” I nod, letting go of Rosie and hooking my arm around Lisa’s, “C’mon we better go or else we’ll be late to class.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Hey Jennie, are you working the closing shift tonight?”

 

“Yep, you staying here to study again?” I ask Dean.

 

“You know me so well.” Dean chuckles.

 

“I tend to remember the regulars. So the usual?”

 

“Venti Iced Americano with an extra shot and 2 pumps of vanilla.”

 

“Venti Iced Americano with an extra shot and 2 pumps of vanilla.”

 

Dean and I say at the same time, making us both laugh, “It’s going to be $6.00, do you want to use your points?”

 

“Nah I’m good. Thanks Jennie.”

 

“No worries, I’ll get it right out.” I nod at Dean, suddenly feeling someone’s burning stare.

 

“Jenjen!” I look up and see Rosie walking towards the counter with a frown.

 

“What happened?” I asked, “Dean, your drink’s ready!” I call out, while waiting for her answer.

 

“Thanks Jennie.” Dean smiles at me, and I nod.

 

“Well?” I turn to my still pouting girl, who’s also glaring at Dean.

 

“You know looks can’t actually kill, but I’m pretty sure, he refuses to look up because of your burning stare.” I tease, “Didn’t know you were the jealous type Rosie.”

 

“I’m not jealous.”

 

“Mhm okay Rosie posie.” I boop her nose, “I’m really not!” She insists.

 

“Good, cause there’s nothing to be jealous about.”

 

“Really?” She looks at me, still potuy.

 

“Yes really, Dean’s girlfriend is my older cousin, they go to uni together.” I explain, and Rosie nods, a smile on her lips.

 

“So are you going to loiter here all night too?”

 

“It’s not loitering…if I’m waiting for my girlfriend right?”

 

“If it is if you don’t support the local business your girlfriend works at.” I send her a playful wink.

 

Rosie and I chuckle, it’s interesting how even though we are dating, our dynamic hasn’t changed one bit. Is this what Lisa meant when she told me that Rosie and I never acted like friends?

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Wait, you both are?” Lisa accidentally bumps my arm, pulling me out of memory lane, “Sorry Nini.”

 

“Hmm, what was that?”

 

“The Tiffany project.”

 

“Oh…” I nod, pretending I wasn’t zoned out the entire time.

 

“You zoned out didn’t you?” Lisa chuckles, and I glare at her.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“Well with Rosie on board things should be better for you right?”

 

“Huh?” I look at the two utterly confused, Rosie shrugs her shoulders giving me a half-smile, while Lisa just shakes her head at me, “Rosie’s the director and photographer for the shoot.”

 

“Ahh Mina mentioned they were coming from Australia…what a coincidence huh.” I chuckle, remembering how I had a moment of panic when Mina first mentioned that…thinking about all the what-ifs, but then resigned to thinking there’s no way the universe would plop Rosie back in my life…

 

“Yeah, I didn’t think you would be the Project Director for this project, but I’m glad it’s you.” Rosie gives me that toothless smile of hers and I just nod, because there’s no way I could form a coherent sentence..not when she’s…nevermind. It’s the past and when we agreed to mutually go our own ways.

 

Lisa and Rosie talked some more, I mostly stayed quiet..still a bit shaken up with being near her again. But again, it’s been years and we’ve both moved on.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“So what was the concept you wanted for this shoot?” I ask Rosie, we were in a meeting to discuss the Tiffany & Co. shoot.

 

“I was thinking something innocent like a first love.”

 

“But isn’t that concept kinda..cliche?”

 

“Yes, but it’s also timeless like the brand.”

 

“True…but not a lot of teenagers can afford…”

 

“A first love doesn’t necessarily happen during your teenage years.” Rosie has that glint in her eyes. She won’t budge on this theme.

 

“True..”

 

“Also,” She adds, addressing the entire conference room, “It’ll reach a broad audience…why don’t we make it into a series…two kids not understanding what puppy love is, teenagers and their clumsy relationships, young adults trying to make things work, married couples that made it work…there’s so many routes we can take, but with every storyline the jewellery will be there…at the very .” Rosie says and I scan the room knowing that she’s already sealed this idea in everyone’s head.

 

“Wah!” James, the Tiffany & Co. advisor stands clapping, “Seriously, the best. I’m sure the company will give this a go ahead.”

 

“Well it seems we’ve got an idea..let’s get some storylines flowing. I like the idea of a series, but instead of multiple pairs..let’s make it follow one from childhood. Growing up with Tiffany…I think it’ll be perfect especially with Valentine’s day coming up…we should aim to have the final released just before Valentine’s day to increase our sales.” I end the meeting, catching Rosie’s eyes and she gives me a soft smile.

 

The idea isn’t new, but it’s refreshing…and only Rosie could have pitched it like that to James, who’s been nothing but a thorn in my since I picked this project up.

 

Once the people from Tiffany left, I finally had a chance to breathe.

 

“Here.” Rosie places a hot cup of hot chocolate on my table, “You looked so tense during that meeting and..” She trails off..she remembers that hot chocolate is my form of chamomile tea.

 

“Thank you.” I say, grabbing the cup and taking a careful sip..but of course it’s already at the perfect temperature.

 

“Of course, it’s nice we have a cafe in the…”

 

“For the drink, but also for your idea.” I cut her off.

 

“I honestly thought it was going to be rejected.” Rosie admits, rubbing the back of her neck. A habit she has when she’s nervous or anxious.

 

“I don’t think anyone would have been able to reject it with how passionate you spoke.” I chuckle.

 

“I was not.” Rosie laughs along with me.

 

“C’mon Rosie, your eyes were just beaming, it was almost as if you were watching it all unfold right in that conference room.”

 

“I knew the teasing Jenjen would….” Rosie trails off..seemingly realising what she just said. Jenjen…she used to call me that, along with Love or Lovie, but over time it just became Jen..until finally it was just Jennie. Thinking about it now, that was the start of the end for us.

 

“It’s fine.” I break the silence that draped over us, “Well..I better get back to work and you should too.” I give her an excuse to leave, but she just stands there looking at me with an expression I can no longer read.

 

“Right.” She nods after a few beats pass, “I’ll see you later then…” she pauses, “Jennie.”

 

“Yeah.” I smile, ignoring whatever it is my heart is feeling right now.

 

I think I’ve seen this film before and I didn’t like the ending. I caught a line of the Taylor Swift song that was playing softly from my desktop speakers as Rosie leaves my office…damn you Spotify and damn you Taylor for having a song or lyric for every moment of my life.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: The way this was supposed to be a one shot and now it’s turning into a multi-shot. But I’ll keep the chapters short. Hoping it’ll be a 2-4 part series because that Memories prologue is haunting my 2am thoughts but I also don’t remember the details of that story so I’ll go back and reread it…

 

As always let me know what you think in the comments or in my dms.

 

Till next time.

 

Ciao.