A Love So Beautiful (2)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

-Year 201X: University-

 

“Jendeukie we’re here.” Jisoo announces entering the art room with a bag of fried chicken, Lisa coming in from behind.

 

“You guys! I missed you!!” Jennie gets up from her chair moving to hug her two friends but they put a hand out stopping her.

 

“Wait wait, your smock..take it off first.”

 

“Ah right.” Jennie chuckles, turning around to remove her smock, only to be pleasantly surprised when she turned around, “Oh you too?”

 

“What do you mean by me too?”

 

“Stop with that pout.” Jennie chuckles, “I just thought you’d be busier with your finals than these two.”

 

“So you didn’t miss me?”

 

“Tsk tsk so clingy. Come here my Rosie Posie.” Jennie opened her arms wide and Roseanne quickly pulled her girl into her arms.

 

“Who would have thought the calm, cool, and collected Roseanne Park is actually a clingy?” Lisa chuckles, earning a glare from the other girl.

 

“Is your piece done?”

 

“Mhm, but you can’t see it.” Jennie nods.

 

“But Chu saw it.”

 

“I showed her the sketch, yes, but not the final.”

 

“I get best friend perks Rosie.” Jisoo teases, only causing the taller girl to pout again

 

“Stop acting cute.” Jennie playfully pinches Roseanne’s nose.

 

“I’ll show you after I pass okay?”

 

“Hmm.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Congratulations on getting into the art college Jenndeuk!” Jisoo leads the cheers.

 

“CONGRATULATIONS!” Lisa and their other friends cheer enthusiastically.

 

“Thank you, thank you.” Jennie laughs, knowing that drinking with her friends won’t end well for anyone but it’s only once in a while..so it’s fine.

 

“Atatat don’t drink too much.” Roseanne grabs the shot glass from Jennie’s hand and takes it for her.

 

“Ayyyyy don’t be a party pooper Rosie. It’s Jen’s day.” Lisa swings an arm over Roseanne’s shoulder.

 

“Yes, but she should be able to remember her day.”

 

“I will don’t worry.”

 

“Alright, fine.” Roseanne relents, opting to not drink instead so she can take care of Jennie.

 

Jennie, being the lightweight that she is, of course was drunk by the end of the night. Barely conscious as Roseanne helps her back home.

 

“Always so cozy, Rosie.” Jennie mumbles as Roseanne tucks her into bed.

 

“Even when drunk you have to be cute.” Roseanne chuckles, her eyes roaming around Jennie’s face, finally stopping at her lips.

 

“What?” Jennie asks, sitting up trying to determine if she heard right.

 

“Jen?” Roseanne had a soft smile on her face.

 

“Yes Rosie?”

 

“If you remember this tomorrow, make sure you call me.”

 

“Huh?” Jennie frowns, but her mind went blank when she suddenly felt soft plump lips on hers.

 

~ ~

 

As Roseanne expected, Jennie did not remember what happened the other night.

 

“There we go all settled.” Jisoo and Lisa smile after the three finish unpacking their things in the dorm.

 

“Too bad Rosie couldn’t be with us huh.” Jisoo nudges Jennie playfully.

 

“Yeah, cause now I have to third wheel you two even more.” Jennie teases.

 

“Whatever, anyways what’s the real deal between you and Rosie.”

 

“Me and Rosie?”

 

“Yeah..I mean with everyone else she’s still the same as always. Cold, aloof, quiet.”

 

“She’s like that with me too.”

 

“Nah nah, she’s opened up to you. I mean she’s so cringe sometimes that it makes me wonder if she has a split personality or something.”

 

“First of all..she doesn’t. Second, Rosie and I are friends.”

 

“Friends that like each other.”

 

“Yes, I still like her…but that’s it. I don’t think I’ll pursue my feelings anymore.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It took me so long to get to the point where she opens up to me. I don’t want to lose whatever it is we have now…Anyways, I’m going to go check on Rosie.” Jennie ends the conversation, opting to leave the two alone.

 

~

 

“Rosie, I'm here.” Jennie smiles, peeking her head through the door.

 

“Did you guys finish already?” Roseanne asks, motioning for Jennie to come inside.

 

“Mhm..although our 4th roommate is nowhere to be seen.”

 

“That’s fine with me.” Roseanne says under her breath.

 

“Hmm? What was that?”

 

“Nothing. Anyways I’m almost don..”

 

“Roseanne, there’s a department dinner tonight. Are you coming?” One of Roseanne’s roommates comes in.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“A dinner? Can I come?” Jennie asks.

 

“Sure, anyone’s welcome.”

 

“Nice! I’ll see you tonight then?”

 

“Where are you going?” Roseanne asks.

 

“I have a meeting with my advisor. I’ll see you later, okay?”

 

“Hmm.” Roseanne nods and watches as Jennie leaves.

 

“Who was that? She’s really pretty.”

 

“My girlfriend.” Roseanne says with a smile.

 

“Ooohh look at you.”

 

~ ~

 

The dinner with Roseanne’s department wasn’t too overwhelming. It seemed that only a few could go, which was understandable since most of the upperclassmen in the medical program were too swamped to even leave the dorms.

 

Things were going well…that is until the attention suddenly turned to Roseanne and Jennie.

 

“So Jennie, what do you major in?”

 

“Digital arts.”

“Interesting. How do you like it so far? I can never imagine being an art major…I’m too uncreative.” The guy joked, seemingly getting closer to the younger girl.

 

“Ah well..”

 

“As future doctors, I think being creative is a fundamental skill. Nothing will be 100% like the textbook. We should also learn how to think outside the box.” Roseanne quickly spoke up, an arm casually draping over Jennie’s shoulder, pulling the girl closer, “Anyways, don’t we have to meet up with Chu and Lisa soon?” Roseanne gave Jennie a look that told the girl to go along with it.

 

“Ah right. We still have to grab some things for the dorm.”

 

“Okay. Let’s go.” Roseanne got up, “I’m sorry we can’t stay home but my girlfriend and I have to get going.”

 

“Alright you guys stay safe!”

 

At the mention of the word ‘girlfriend’, Jennie’s head turned to Roseanne, her eyes wide. The shorter girl was in such a daze that she didn’t even realize she was already led out of the restaurant.

 

~ ~

 

“Uhm Rosie.” Jennie finally got the courage to talk after a very long silence.

 

“Hmm?” Roseanne glanced down at Jennie briefly.

 

“What you said earlier…I mean…are we? I thought we’re just friends.” Jennie somehow managed to form a somewhat coherent sentence.

 

“You don’t like it? When I tell others you’re my girlfriend.”

 

That damned word again..Jennie cursed in her mind for being affected by such a simple word.

 

“No no..I..uhm I like it.” Jennie admitted in a small voice, feeling a bit shy.

 

“Good.” Roseanne nods, a small smile on her face.

 

“But I do have one question.” Jennie speaks up.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“When did you ask me?”

 

“Do I need to ask when you’ve already asked me before.” Roseanne teases, grabbing hold of Jennie’s hand, “C’mon I’ll take you back. It’s late and I know you still have an early day.”

~

 

“GUYS GUYS GUYS!” Jennie enthusiastically wakes up Jisoo and Lisa who were cuddled in bed.

 

“Someone better be dying, Jennie Kim.” Jisoo grunts, lifting her head slightly.

 

“Rosie just called me her girlfriend.”

 

“Huh?” Jisoo and Lisa both spring up.

 

“Girlfriend. Me.” Jennie points to herself.

 

“No way.”

 

“Mhm. She did.”

 

“So you two.” Jisoo pauses, “Wah Jennie Kim. I can’t believe you did the impossible. Amazing.” Jisoo claps and Lisa follows along.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Dating Roseanne was even better than Jennie could have imagined. The taller girl had no flaws, at least in Jennie’s eyes.

 

“Okay then we can go to dinner right after. Pretty sure Rosie will come too, right Jen?” Jisoo looks at Jennie who was too focused on her phone to reply.

 

“Yeah for sure she’s coming babe.” Lisa answers for Jennie..

 

“Oh where are you going?” Jisoo asks when Jennie finally puts her down, abruptly getting up and grabbing the book she’s been reading lately.

 

“Rosie. Library.” The girl says, leaving the dorm with just those two words.

 

“I don’t know who’s worse. Rosie or Jennie.” Lisa shakes her head.

 

~

 

“There you are.” Jennie says in a louder voice than she intended, “Sorry.” She apologized to the people she distrubed.

 

“I told you not to come.” Roseanne scolded the girl, glancing at her briefly before focusing back on her textbook.

 

“How can I not when you said you missed me?” Jennie looked at her girl with twinkling eyes.

 

“But I’m studying so I won’t be able to entertain you.”

 

“I know that’s why I brought my book.” Jennie says, plopping her book on the table.

 

Roseanne watched as Jennie, wearing a thick sweater and mittens struggled to turn the page of her book.

 

“Here.” Roseanne does it for her, as Jennie leans her head on Roseanne’s shoulder.

 

The two stayed like this for a while. Roseanne studying and Jennie reading her novel. The shorter of the two occasionally tapped on her girlfriend’s arm to turn the page for her.

 

It was a cute sight and the two unknowingly attracted the attention of one of the photography students who took a photo of the cute moment.

 

~

 

“Jennie?”

 

“Oh hey Mina what’s up.” Jennie looks up from her easel smiling at the girl.

 

“Okay first don’t get mad at me.” Mina opens up the topic and Jennie chuckles, “Why would I be mad?”

 

“Actually it’s not you I’m worried about…it’s Roseanne.”

 

“Rosie?” Jennie frowns.

 

“So you see…” Mina recounts what she saw at the library the other day, “And it was just so cute..and I couldn’t help but take a photo and give it to you..but one thing led to another and now it’s posted on the bulletin board.”

 

“Bulletin board…like the one everyone passes by?”

 

“Mhm.” Mina nods, “We’re doing a photo project..the theme changes every week but yeah this week it’s campus couples..and I honestly don’t know who put it up.” Mina was very apologetic, especially knowing how Roseanne could be when Jennie wasn’t around.

 

“It’s okay Mina..no harm done. I’ll go find Ro..oh speaking of the devil.” Jennie smiles when she sees a familiar entering the studio.

 

“Roseanne..uhm…hi..uhm..” Mina was a stuttering mess, because Roseanne did not look very pleased.

 

“Rosie what are you doing here?” Jennie saves Mina, going over to Roseanne with a wide smile.

 

“Can we talk?” Roseanne’s voice sounded serious.

 

“Uhm..I’ll just go. Bye Jen..Bye Roseanne.” Mina leaves quickly, unable to take the heavy atmosphere.

 

“Okay let’s talk.” Jennie nods.

 

“What’s this about a photo on the bulletin board?”

 

“Ah you heard already.”

 

“People kept looking and pointing at me.”

 

“Okay so..” Jennie explains what happened.

 

“Jeez.” Roseanne blows air out of her nose, a telltale sign that she’s annoyed and/or mad.

 

“We can get Mina to take it down if you want.”

 

“It’s fine. It’s already up.”

 

“I know you don’t like it. C’mon we can tal..”

 

“Jennie hey.”

 

“Oh hey Jae-on what’s up?”

 

“I’m just wondering if you are going to be staying here later.”

 

“Maybe. I still have to finish my piece.”

 

“Cool.. I’ll see you here then.”

 

“Uhm okay.” Jennie nods, the guy nods leaving the two alone again, “Let’s go find Mina and tell her to pu..”

 

“It’s fine.” Roseanne interrupts Jennie, holding the girl’s hand in hers, “Let’s just go grab early dinner and then I’ll accompany you here later.”

 

“Are you sure you want to keep that photo up?” Jennie eyes Roseanne carefully.

 

“Yeah it’s fine”

 

“Alright…but you don’t have to stay with me later. I know you need to be at the hospital early tomorrow.”

 

“Why? Don't you want to spend time with me?” Roseanne whines.

 

“Of course I do. But I’ll be fine. Jae-on says he’ll be here too and I th..”

 

“I’ll be here.” Roseanne says with finality.

 

“Okay okay.” Jennie chuckles, tugging Roseanne’s hand, “C’mon let’s go eat.”

 

-Year 201X: Final year of University-

 

“Rosie? What are you doing here?” Lisa was surprised to see the girl at the hospital so early.

 

“I think it should be me asking you that.” Roseanne looks at Lisa.

 

“Visiting a friend.” Lisa says her voice steady.

 

“Ms. Manoban, here are the forms for the surgery and..”

 

“I got it. Thank you, thank you.” Lisa quickly grabs the paperwork from the nurse.

 

“Surgery?”

 

“It’s nothing Rosie.”

 

“Lisa.” Roseanne says sternly, but Lisa keeps mum.

 

“I’ve already had to lie about this once.” Roseanne sighs, remembering the summer before senior year of high school when Lisa suddenly had to be hospitalized for the whole summer. The girl found out when Aly needed to get stitches and saw Lisa who was supposedly on a family trip in Thailand walking around the hospital.

 

“Rosie..Chu can’t know.”

 

“But this is serious.This isn’t just some surgery to take your tonsils out..it’s pretty serious.”

 

“I know...”

 

“What did Dr. Hwang say?”

 

“Just the same old, same old.” Lisa shrugs and Roseanne takes that as a cue for her to drop it. She can’t force Lisa to tell Jisoo…all the girl can do is respect her friend’s decision.

 

“C’mon I’ll walk you out.” Roseanne looks at Lisa, wondering what her plan will be.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The four rarely got time to hang out together. With Roseanne, Jisoo, and Lisa about to graduate most of their spare time was spent preparing for their finals. So days like today where the four are all just hanging out was rare.

 

“Jisoo.” Lisa suddenly got up, a playful glint in her eyes, “Will you marry me?” She holds up a soda tab.

 

“You..” Jisoo frowns, grabbing the soda tab and throwing it,leaving without a word.

 

“CHU WAIT!” Jennie quickly runs after Jisoo.

 

“So you decided to get the surgery.” Roseanne gets up, watching after Jennie.

 

“Yeah..I mean I want to give her a future with no uncertainties, which means I can’t keep pushing this back anymore.”

 

“So this was your plan?” Roseanne gestures towards the direction the two ran off.

 

“Mhm I’m really good at pushing her buttons you know.” Lisa smiles sadly, “She probably won’t talk to me for a month. That should be enough time. The university is letting me take my exams at the hospital. Hopefully I can still walk with you guys..if not I’ll walk with Jen.” Lisa chuckles, biting her lower lip nervously.

 

“It’ll be okay Lis.” Roseanne pats Lisa's shoulder.

 

~ ~ ~

 

If I was Lisa..would I also push Jen away? Of course..but If it was Jen..in Lisa’s position would I want to know?

 

“Rosie!” Jennie hugs her girl tightly, seeing her just staring at the entrance of their dorm.

 

“Well hello to you too.” Roseanne returns the hug.

 

“I just missed you.”

 

“We just saw each other silly.” Roseanne chuckles softly, patting Jennie’s head affectionately.

 

“I know..but you’ve been working at the hospital more so it feels like it’s been ages.”

 

“Don’t worry..I will always try to make time for you.”

 

“I know Rosie. So tell me what brought you all the way here?”

 

“I..after thinking about it..if it was you I would want to know..so I’m breaking my promise here and I..where’s Jisoo?” Roseanne spoke quickly, remembering the true reason she came over.

 

“She should be inside.”

 

“We need to grab her and go.” Roseanne’s voice was very serious. Wordlessly Jennie nodded entering the pin to get into their dorm.

 

~

 

“What do you mean surgery!?” Jisoo was stunned.

 

“We don’t have time. I’ll explain later.” Roseanne drags the two into a cab, rushing to the hospital.

 

“Lisa!” Jisoo was the first to spot her girl. They were already wheeling her towards the operating room.

 

“Wait!” Roseanne yells out and the nurses stop.

 

“Chu, what are you doing here? Why did you tell her?” Lisa switches from a soft to an angry tone.

 

“I would have wanted to know if I was her.” Roseanne says, holding Jennie’s hand tighter.

 

“Ya Lalisa you!” Jisoo flicks the girl’s forehead, her tears welling in her eyes.

 

“Hey..It’ll be okay. I’ll be okay. Wait here for me.” Lisa says softly, wiping the lone tear that managed to escape.

 

“Mhm I will.” Jisoo nods, her necklace showing.

 

“You kept it.” Lisa holds the soda tab, the girl was now using as her necklace pendant.

 

“If you don’t come back to me I’m going to throw it away for real.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

-2 Months later-

 

“Why do you need to get a summer job?”

 

“I’m graduating soon and all the seniors got their internships. Plus, there’ll be someone from the department working there too.”

 

“I don’t want you to.”

 

“But I already got paid part of the salary.”

 

“I’ll pay your boss back then.”

 

“Rosie…” Jennie sighs, “The money you have isn’t even yours.”

 

“The internships at the hospital pays me and I have scholarships too.”

 

“But I really want to do it. Why are you being so hardheaded? I told you I won’t be alone. It’s a busy cafe. Key will be working with me too.”

 

“Alright, fine.”

 

~

 

“Omg let me get a photo of you Jen.” Key laughs seeing the girl in a giant pink dinosaur costume.

 

“Is this why your uncle paid me in advance?” Jennie grumbles, as she passes flyers out.

 

“Maybe.” Key chuckles.

 

“Wow, so cute..can we take a picture with you?” Some girls ask.

 

“Sure.”

 

“What was that doctor’s name…the really pretty one.”

 

“Roseanne Park?”

 

“Yeah..”

 

“So that’s her name.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I heard that Han Sohee really likes her.”

 

“Han Sohee?!”
 

“Mhm.”

 

“Damn…her girlfriend better watch out then.”

 

“Okay I’m taking it now.” Key says after what felt like forever to Jennie.

 

After the girls left, Jennie’s mind was all over.

 

When will Rosie not be popular? Jennie sighs.

 

“Jen get out of that suit.” Key pulls Jennie out of her stupor.

 

“Huh?”

 

“We gotta do better.” Key nods, dragging Jennie inside the cafe.

 

After rummaging around Key comes back with a change of clothes, “Here, wear this.”

 

“Kim Kibum.”

 

“Just trust me.” Key nods.

 

“Alright, fine.” Jennie grabs the clothes, simple jeans and a white shirt. A stark contrast to her usual baggy sweats.

 

~

 

“Wow she’s so pretty.”

 

“She’s so cute.”

 

“Hi, would you like a coupon for our cafe?” Jennie smiles, handing out the coupons to the people that are beginning to crowd around her.

 

As Jennie got crowded with people, a certain someone who wanted to surprise her girl at work was not very pleased with what greeted her.

 

“What the?” Roseanne frowns, marching towards her girl with purpose.

 

“I’m all out of coupons..but my friend Key over there has some. Please visit us often.” Jennie smiles.

 

“OKAY!” The crowd yells, dispersing just as Roseanne reaches the center.

 

“Jennie Kim.”

 

“Rosie!” Jennie hugs the girl tightly.

 

“Maybe I should give you a bowl cut again.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Nothing..are you almost done here?” Roseanne looks around, catching Key’s eyes. The guy avoided her gaze as quickly as she caught his.

 

“Not yet. I gotta work the register now.”

 

“Okay. I’ll wait for you inside.”

 

“Ehh? But I still have 3 hours.”

 

“It’s okay. I brought some things that I need to work on.”

 

“Alright.” Jennie nods.

 

~ ~ ~

 

-Year 201X: Adult Life Starts!-

 

“Really? So when…2 months? What! Everyone will be so excited to see you. Mhm..okay..yeah I’ll see you then. Okay bye bye.”

 

“Who was that just now?” Jisoo goes up to her best friend.

 

“Doyeon..she said she’ll be coming back to Seoul for good next month.”

 

“For real! Why didn’t she call me?” Lisa whines.

 

“She was in a hurry…anyways did you see her race?”

 

“Of course! She even gave you a shout out ehh~” Jisoo nudges Jennie playfully.

 

“Shut it. You know how she is.”

 

“I know you are watching this live..I haven’t forgotten my promise..I’ll give you that olympic gold soon!” Lisa copies the message Doyeon gave for her.

 

“C’mon Chu, let’s leave.” Jennie playfully clings onto Jisoo dragging her away.

 

“YAH JENNIE KIM STOP CLINGING ONTO MY JISOO!” Lisa yells, quickly catching up to the two.

 

“No.” Jennie shakes her head.

 

“Why do you keep third wheeling with us anyways? Can’t you call Rosie or something?”

 

“She’s busy at the hospital.”

 

“Well just cause she doesn’t spare time for you doesn…”

 

“Lalisa.” Jisoo shushes Lisa.

 

“Sorry.” The girl apologizes.

 

“It’s fine..Becoming a doctor isn’t easy. I’m not going to be too greedy.”

 

“Wow, Jennie Kim is finally maturing.”

 

“Whatever. Let’s just go get some ice cream.”

 

Meanwhile, at the hospital, Roseanne is sitting in a meeting with the head of the department who just gave her very big news.

 

“Dr. Park, this is a very good opportunity for you. Switzerland has some of the best teaching hospitals.”

 

“Right of course, but…”

 

“Just think about it. You still have two weeks before we submit our candidate.” Dr. Lim interrupts.

 

“Okay.” Roseanne nods, before excusing herself.


 

-A few days later-

 

“The person you are calling is currently unavailable. Please leave a message at the tone.”

 

Jennie hangs up, sending Roseanne a quick text telling her not to worry about accompanying her to meet the real estate agent and asking her if they would still be having dinner tonight.

 

“Are you ready?” The real estate agent asks.

 

“Yeah…I guess it’ll just be me.”

 

“Oh okay that’s fine.” He looks at Jennie with an unreadable gaze, “Shall we head on up.” The man asks, and Jennie’s gut was telling her not to go.

 

“Actually..I’d rather reschedule.” Jennie doesn’t step inside the building, deciding to follow her instincts.

 

“But we’re already here. Why don’t you just take a quick peek.”

 

“I’m really okay.” Jennie backs away slowly.

 

“C’mon.” The man comes closer, taking Jennie’s hand, trying to drag her inside.

 

“I said no.” Jennie pulls her hand back, running away as quickly as she can.

 

Once she’s in a crowd, she flags down a cab and heads towards the hospital where Roseanne is.

 

~

 

When Jennie arrived at the hospital she was shaking so badly, barely keeping all her emotions in check. She tried to call Roseanne again but nothing.

 

“I’m sorry, but can I ask you a question?” Jennie stops one of the elderly nurses.

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

“Do you know where Dr. Roseanne Park is?”

 

“Dr. Park in cardiothoracic surgery?”

 

“Mhm.” Jennie nods.

 

“I think she’s still in the operating room.” The nurse answers, and Jennie finally gave into her trembling knees, surprising the nurse.

 

“Do you by chance like Dr. Park.” The nurse also squats down, “Dr. Park is quite a looker. I think all of our young staff here have fallen for her, but it’s a mute point. She’s about to go to Switzerland soon.”

 

“Where?” Jennie looks at the nurse, tears falling.

 

“She’s going to Switzerland for advanced training. She’ll be gone for 4 years. Dr. Park is not only beautiful, but she is also smart and very good at her job. The hospital only gets to send one candidate and they chose her.”

 

“I…I see.” Jennie nodded…her emotions were all over the place.

 

No matter what I do…she just keeps doing her own thing. She never tells me anything..I’m always kept in the dark. Always the one chasing after her. For once Rosie…just for once can’t you just wait for me. But of course you can't, right? The great Roseanne Park… I’m tired of running after you.

 

~

Jennie wasn’t sure how long she was sitting in the hospital, her mind was still all over the place, but she was sure of one thing. She needs to stop this.

 

I’m at the hospital.

 

That was the last message Jennie sent…and it was over 2 hours ago. Quickly, Roseanne heads out..her gut was telling her there was something going on and she didn’t like the anxious feeling. Luckily for the taller girl, Jennie chose a spot near the changing room to sit.

 

“What’s wrong? You called many times.” Roseanne squats down to level herself with Jennie, wiping some of her tears.

 

Jennie stays quiet. Finalizing her resolve.

 

“Jen? What’s wrong hmm?”

 

“You’re going to Switzerland.” She says, thankful her voice didn’t crack.

 

“Who told you that?” Roseanne frowns.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I haven’t decided yet.”

 

“Right…you haven’t decided yet…You were only going to tell me after you’ve made your choice.”

 

“Jen..”

 

“It’s okay. I’ve always known.” Jennie sniffles.

 

“Listen to me it’s…” Roseanne was interrupted by her pager.

 

“Go answer that. I should go.” Jennie gets up.

 

“Jennie.” Roseanne grabs her hand, but the girl refuses to look back.

 

“I don’t want to love you anymore Rosie.”

 

The words shock Roseanne, her hand letting go of Jennie’s. She watches as Jennie walks away. Wanting to run after the girl, but was terrified that doing so would push Jennie even further away than she already has.

 

“Dr. Park…Dr. Lim wants to see you about the patient in 2116.”

 

“Hmm.” Roseanne nods, opting to let Jennie cool down before going after her.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“I’ll help you find a place with Lisa.” Jisoo says, softly. The girl was deathly worried when Jennie called her sobbing on the phone, quickly dashing towards their secret spot on campus.

 

“Hmm.”

 

“And looking for a job can come after you finish your graduation project. You need to focus on that first.” Jisoo pauses, “As for Rosie…you two need to talk it out.”

 

“There’s nothing left to say. She hasn’t even called me.”

 

“Maybe she’s just busy.”

 

“She’s always busy.”

 

“Want me and Lisa to yell at her?” Jisoo tries to lighten the mood.

 

“No…it’s fine. It’s my fault for forgetting that ever since the beginning she was never fond of me..I’ve always been the one looking at her.”

 

“Jen…” Jisoo tears up, her heart hurts for her best friend and it’s killing her more because there’s nothing she can do to take Jennie’s pain away.

 

That evening, Roseanne was busy preparing for a major surgery so even though she wanted to fix things with Jennie she couldn’t and as for Jennie..her resolve stands. She was done with it all.

 

“Dr. Park…is the surgery going to be risky?”

 

“It will be complicated, but we will try our best.”

 

“Please save my husband..please.” The woman begs.

 

“Dr. Park..” The little boy tugs on Roseanne’s coat, “here I drew this picture of you. Thank you for saving my dad.” He smiles at Roseanne who takes the photo.

 

The surgery proved to be even more complicated than Roseanne anticipated. Even with the head of her department in the room with her, the patient still ended up going into cardiac arrest.

 

“Dr. Park…please call it.” Dr. Lim looks at his student with sad eyes.

 

Roseanne, who for the first time lost a patient on the table, was at a loss. The look on the wife’s face when she gave the news was too much. Roseanne knew that she wouldn't be able to save everyone, that there would be days where she would lose her patient no matter how hard she tried…but the grief still struck her hard..

 

“We tried our best Dr. Park. Sometimes all we can do is send them off peacefully. Get some rest today okay? If you need to talk I am here.” Dr. Lim pats her student’s shoulder. Trying to convey as much as she can with the gesture, because that’s really all she can do. Everyone grieves differently and this type of loss is something only a select few experience, but it is something they all know they’ll be going through when choosing this path.

 

“Thank you.” Roseanne says, feeling as if she is still in a trance….the face of the man’s wife when she broke the news…the questioning eyes of the man’s daughter when her mother collapsed on the floor..this scene kept replaying in her mind over and over.

 

“Thank you for saving my dad.”

 

“I’m sorry…” Roseanne sits on the floor of the changing room, “I’m sorry.” Burying her head in her arms.

 

After somewhat pulling herself together, Roseanne made her way to the one person who can comfort her the most right now, Jennie.

 

“Why did you come here?” Jennie says after refusing the hug Roseanne was about to give her.

 

“Today I was in the operating..”

 

“I know you had a surgery, I know you’re always in the middle of something. I know you’re always busy..you didn’t have to come all the way here just to tell me things I already know.”

 

“Don’t you want to know what happened to me today.”

 

“What about me? Did you even ask me about what happened to me today?”

 

“Are you still mad?”

 

“If you don’t have anything else to say…I’m going back inside.” Jennie turns away, leaving.

 

“Jennie Kim!”

 

But Jennie doesn’t even stop…she keeps going.

 

~ ~

 

For days after that night neither one of the two contacted the other. One was trying to keep her resolve, while the other kept checking her phone..not even thinking of being the first to call.

 

“Dr. Park.” Dr. Lim finds Roseanne staring at her phone, “What do you think about that surgery where we lost our patient.”

 

“I..I could have done better…I know I could.”

 

“This is why we wanted to send you to Switzerland…because of your mindset. We have many great minds here..but not many are willing to push themselves even further.”

 

“I’ll go..I’ll go to Switzerland.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

Jennie found a place to stay so she was moving out of the dorm. The two haven’t made up yet..and their friends decided not to meddle.

 

Roseanne was leaving for Switzerland and she needed to tell Jennie. She misses the girl, she really does but she doesn’t know how to fix this. She feels like one more push and Jennie really won’t look at her anymore. But still, Roseanne decides to find her girl.

 

Arriving at the dorm Roseanne smiles softly, but her smile is replaced by a frown when she sees some guy she doesn’t know with Jennie’s things.

 

“Here I can do this for you.” The guy smiles at Jennie, who politely smiles back.

 

Her frown deepening, Roseanne calls Jennie.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Where are you? We need to talk in person.”

 

“I’m busy working on my project, may…” Roseanne ends the phone call.

 

Just like that you found someone else huh. Roseanne grips her phone tightly, running away.

 

“For someone that claimed they didn’t bring much to the dorm, you sure did bring a lot Jen.” Lisa shakes her head, “You’re lucky I was able to drag Chan here to help.”

 

“I’ll keep praising you in front of Chu.”

 

“That’s what I like to hear.” Lisa nods in approval.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The time for Roseanne to leave for Switzerland has finally come. Yet, the two are still having their cold war. Roseanne did tell Jennie about her plan to leave, but Jennie didn’t say anything..she just nodded..she knew Roseanne would have chosen to go. But still, Jennie went to find her at the hospital, knowing the girl would leave right after settling things.

 

“Ro…” Jennie’s voice dies in . Roseanne was smiling as she walked out with her colleagues.

 

At the airport, Roseanne waited, but time kept passing and Jennie still hadn't shown up. Wanting to see her, Roseanne finally calls Jennie.

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Will you come see me off?”

 

“You’re already at the airport?”

 

“Will you come see me?”

 

“Roseanne Park you . I won’t see you off!” Jennie ends the call, but yet here she is running to the airport, because even though she said that. She wants to see her too.

 

Jennie didn’t care if she looked like a crazy person running around the airport, she needed to find her Rosie before she left, but no matter how hard she searched…Roseanne was gone. Exhausted Jennie squatted, her tears falling. She hasn’t even sat down long when a voice calls her.

 

“Boss?” Jennie looks up to see a smiling Doyeon, “I knew it was you.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

a/n: Next page?