Swings & Sunsets (4)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

-Rosie-

 

“Boo!”

 

“Roseanne!!” Jennie whines, smacking my arm, “Sorry..I couldn’t resist.” I laugh.

 

“Of course.” Jennie rolls her eyes at me.

 

“Are you still mad at me?” I stood in front of her, grabbing the chains on the swing, trapping her from running away.

 

“Mad? Who’s mad?” Jennie questions, with a bored look on her face.

 

“So we’re cool?” I ask.

 

“Yep.” She nods, and I don’t believe her for a second.

 

“If you say so.” I let it go, taking the swing next to her, “Somehow it feels like it’s been a while since we last watched the sunset together like this.” I comment, but Jennie stays quiet.

 

“See you are still mad.” I marched back to her.

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Jennie...I’m sorry about that day and also for disappearing for a few days again.”

 

“Not just a few...2 weeks. After that first day on campus, suddenly you’re just..poof..gone.”

 

“There was just something I had to take care of.”

 

“And it’s something you can’t tell me right?”

 

“Jen...it’s not like that.”

 

“You know, for someone that wanted us to be friends so badly you sure don’t act like it. I mean are we really friends? We practically know nothing about each other.”

 

“Je…”

 

“I’m not asking you to tell me all your secrets, but it would be nice if you would let me in more.”

 

“I’m sorry.” I avoid her gaze, before looking into her eyes makes me say anything more.

 

“It’s fine.” Jennie gets up.

 

“Where are you going?” I frown.

 

“I have to be somewhere.”

 

“But..”

 

“Next time.” Jennie gives me a small smile.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

It’s been 2 days since I’ve seen or heard from Jennie. She didn’t come to the park again..she’s still mad at me..maybe I should just tell her..but if I do then..No no, it’s better to just keep this to myself for a bit longer.

 

“Rosie! You’re back!” Lisa hugs me tightly, pulling me out of my stupor.

 

“Yeah..uhm sorry for just disappearing like that.” I pat her back lightly.

 

“It’s fine...it must have been important if you didn’t reply to me at all.” Lisa says, still clinging onto me.

 

“Yeah it’s..”

 

“Oh good morning Roseanne, welcome back.” I hear Jisoo’s voice and she gives me a knowing nod.

 

“Hey Jisoo.” I pull myself away from Lisa’s arms and my eyes catch Jennie’s, “Hi Jen..good morning.” I smile.

 

“Hm.” She nods.

 

“Are you still mad?”

 

“No.” She replies emotionless.

 

“Je..” I’m interrupted by the call of my name, “ROSIE!”

 

“Hyeri? Ashley?” I look at my friends with wide eyes. Why are they here? How do they know I’m here? I’m doomed.

 

“We knew you would sneak out again.” Hyeri flicks my forehead.

 

“Ah..guys can we..”

 

“Goodness Rosie..why can’t you just sit still for a few more days?”

 

“What’s going on?” Lisa speaks up, and it’s only then does Ashley and Hyeri seemingly realize what just happened.

 

“Rosie..” they look at me and I just shake my head.

 

“Sneaking out?” Lisa frowns, “Don’t tell me..were you in the hospital? Again?” Her frowns deepen.

 

“Hospital? Again?” Jennie turns her head towards Lisa, “Rosie?” Jennie directs her gaze at me.

 

“So the thing is..uhm..the reason I was gone is because..”

 

“Her appendix.” Ashely speaks up and I thank the heavens for smart friends.

 

“Yeah..yeah, my appendix. It had to be taken out..it burst or something.”

 

“Your appendix? But I had mine taken out too..I was home after a few days.” Lisa pipes in.

 

“She had an allergy...to the anesthetic...yeah.” Hyeri answers for me.

 

“Ahh.” Lisa nods.

 

“Yeah...sorry..I didn’t want to worry you.” I look at Jennie, “Guys..you guys.” I smile at Lisa and Jisoo too.

 

“It’s fine Rosie, just glad you’re good now.” Lisa slings an arm around my shoulders.

 

“Yep 100%.” I look at Hyeri and Ashely.

 

“Sure Rosie..anyways I’m Hyeri by the way and this is Ashley. We’re childhood friends with Rosie here.” Hyeri changes the topic.

 

“Nice! But wait, did you guys all transfer together?”

 

“Rosie transferred, we’re just here on exchange.”

 

“Ah.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“So your appendix huh?”

 

“I knew you’d corner me.” I look at my visitor.

 

“Your lucky dumb and dumber didn’t follow me here.” She chuckles lightly.

 

“Look Jisoo...thank you for helping me out that day and waiting for my parents to come, but can you just buy the appendix story please?” I spoke up before she could ask me the million dollar question.

 

“Look I know that you and I hardly know each other and it’s not my business, but you’re my best friends’ friend..so by default that means I’m your friend too. Roseanne..you don’t have to tell me why you have to be at the hospital..can you just..” Jisoo runs a hand through her hair, “it was scary you know..” She says softly, her eyes boring into me, “You were so pale and..I just..I don’t know how I was..”

 

“Jisoo..” I place my hand over her trembling ones, “I..in time I will tell you..all of you, but for now just know that I am okay. I just can’t exert myself...so don’t drag me to the gym okay?” I joke trying to lift the heavy air.

 

“Okay.” Jisoo nods, giving me a toothless smile, “but just know I’m going to keep a closer eye on you now Rosie.”

 

“Thanks Chu.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

-Jennie POV-

 

“You are still mad.” Rosie pops out right in front of me with a pout.

 

“I’m not...now move.” I pretend to swing back, but Rosie stands firm.

 

“Jen..just talk to me please.” She begs, holding the chains of the strings from either side, blocking me from going anywhere.

 

“I told you I’m not mad.”

 

“You are! I can tell.” She whines like a child.

 

“Fine..I am mad.” I finally relent.

 

“See..look I’m sorry okay. I..”

 

“You lied to me.” I cut her off, and I noticed the split second surprise in Rosie’s eyes, “You’re not a very good liar Rosie..I mean your appendix really? Also..you said you don’t have friends here but viola 2 childhood friends are here. If you would rather hang out with them instead of me that’s fine. But at least tell me instead of just ghosting.”

 

“That’s not it.” Rosie speaks up, “Ashley and Hyeri they just arrived..and you know I like hanging out with you and watching the sunset here together too. And I didn’t tell you about the hospital thing because I hate worrying people. I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it, but my parents and sister are very over protective…” Rosie pauses, her eyes searching mine..for what..I’m not sure, “of my health..” She finishes.

 

“Okay.” I nod, “I get it. I hate worrying others too. I’m an only child so my parents are also very overprotective on my health too.” I smile

 

“Oh.. finally!” She cheers.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Nothing..I just..you smiled at me again.”

 

“Oh jeez..I see insufferable Rosie is back.” I playfully roll my eyes.

 

“What do you mean? She never left.” Rosie teases me, before walking behind me and pushing me lightly on the swing.

 

“Look, the sun’s about to touch the horizon.” Rosie whispers in my ear when I swing back towards her.

 

~ ~ ~

 

~3 Months Later~

 

-Rosie-

 

“Hey.” I feel a slight nudge and my attention is pulled away from my thoughts.

 

“You were just zoned out there for a bit there Rosie posie. Care to tell ol’Lisa here what’s up?” Lisa gives me a wide comforting smile.

 

“Hey Lis, when did you get here?”

 

“Well I’ve been here long enough to know that something is up with you.” Lisa gives me a playful chuckle, “So what’s up buttercup?”

 

“Nothing, just thinking about things.”

 

“What kind of things?” Lisa sits with me in my favorite spot on campus, the big oak tree at the back of the social science building.

 

“Just life..I guess.”

 

“You guess? You looked pretty deep in thought there.” Lisa looks at me seriously, and sometimes I hate when playful Lisa becomes serious Lisa.

 

“Yeah I just never really thought too hard about my life until now. I mean who would have thought I would be here at this age.”

 

“You sound like you're about to bite the dust any second now.” Lisa chuckles, tilting her head up to look at the sky.

 

“But I am.” I whisper to myself.

 

“Hmm? You say something?”

 

I shake my head no, “Well I should get going.” I get up.

 

“Rosie.” Lisa tugs on my hand.

 

“Hm?”

 

“I..” Lisa gets up, “It’s...look just know that you can tell me anything. Whatever it is.”

 

“I know Lis.”

 

“Seriously okay? I promise I won’t tell anyone else.” Lisa sounds almost pleading, her eyes are begging. Does she know?

 

“I know Lisa..but there’s seriously nothing.” I assure her, and I notice the split second frown on her face.

 

“Okay.” Lisa sighs, “C’mon I’ll walk you to your car, before my last class.”

 

“I’m good, I actually went to class with Jen today. Her last class should be done soon so I was going to head there.”

 

“Okay..stay safe.” Lisa nods and we part ways.

 

~ ~

 

“Always so focused.” I shake my head, deciding to wait for her by her locker a few meters down.

 

“Hey isn’t that Jennie Kim.” I hear a student say, capturing my full attention.

 

“Yeah it is..god she’s so attractive.”

 

“She really is, but don’t you think she’s been really lowkey lately?”

 

“Lowkey? I don’t think Jennie Kim can be lowkey even if she tried. She just steals your attention y'know.”

 

“Yeah, but you know her rep.”

 

“Yeah, don’t we all?”

 

“Well she hasn’t gone out since that party where she went with that one blonde girl and Trixie told me Jennie fought with Bobby because of the blonde. God what was her name”

 

“C’mon we know Jen, you don’t mess with what’s hers. And this blonde girl is probably just another one of those girls that don’t mind being part of the list.”

 

“Girl I don’t know..it’s been a few months.”

 

“Well if the great Jennie Kim finally gets cuffed then damn..blondie is one lucky bi..”

 

“Rosie!” I hear my name being called by a familiar voice, turning to my right I see Jennie and those two girls all looking at me.

 

“Look at you on time for once.” Jennie teases me.

 

“Yeah well you’re my ride home so..”

 

“Tch just say you missed me and go.”

 

“Right..you keep telling yourself I did.” I smile at Jennie, ignoring the wide-eyed looks from those two girls.

 

“I know you did Rosie posie. Now c’mon lets get out of here. I’m starving!” Jennie wraps an arm around mine and drags me towards the parking lot.

 

~

 

“Can you stop eating my fries!” Jennie swats at my hand, but still lets me take a fry.

 

“Hmm no.” I , slowly eating the fry.

 

“I told you to order your own. But you said you’re fine with just a burger.”

 

“Meh they taste better cause they aren’t mine.”

 

“So insufferable.” Jennie rolls her eyes at me with a playful smile on her lips.

 

“It’s my brand.” I wink.

 

“Whatever, just take them.” Jennie pushes her fries to me, her gaze focused out the window.

 

“Oh did I just make the biggest player blush?”

 

“Player?” Jennie turned her attention back to me, “I’m not a player.”

 

“C’mon Jen.” I give her a pointed look.

 

“Oh jeez, I told you not to listen to whatever those idiots on campus say.”

 

“But it’s true.”

 

“Trust me it’s not.”

 

“Jennie..c’mon, Lisa tells me things you know.”

 

“Lisa?” Jennie frowns.

 

“Yeah.” I shrug, “She usually asks me out.”

 

“She asked you out!?” Jennie springs up from her chair, “What did you say?!”

 

“Jen..I meant to hang out. Can you sit down.” I apologize to the people around us, trying to contain myself from smiling too widely at Jennie’s little jealous outbreak.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me she asked you out..err to hang out?”

 

“Why would I? It’s not like we’re doing anything wrong?”

 

“I mean yeah..I just..you know Lisa..she..well you see…”Jennie was babbling and I couldn’t hold back a chuckle, “What’s so funny?” She asks with a small pout.

 

“You.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Mhm.” I nod, “It’s funny how affected you are with this. Lisa and I are just friends you know. Nothing more. I’ve already made myself clear with her.”

 

“You did?” Jennie’s smile was wide.

 

“Mhm. She wasn’t really subtle with the flirting when we’re together.”

 

“I see..so can you tell me why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why you turned her down?”

 

“Because I like someone else.” I nonchalantly reply.

 

“Who?”

 

“Just..someone.”

 

“Someone like who?” She pushes.

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure she doesn’t feel the same anyways.” I watch Jennie carefully trying to read her.

 

“Well it’s her loss.” Jennie looks at me, “For not seeing how amazingly perfect you are.”

 

“I’m not perfect Jen.”

 

“To me you are, now c’mon it’s almost sunset.” Jennie pulls me out of my seat before I can get a word out.

 

~

 

“So you’re really not gonna tell?” Jennie opens up the conversation eyes forward, swinging back slightly.

 

“Why does it even matter?”

 

“Because..” Jennie stops suddenly, her eyes practically boring holes in me, “anything that involves you is important to me.”

 

“Jen..”

 

“So just tell me..and I’ll..” Jennie gives me a gentle smile, “help you show her how amazing you are.”

 

“So like a wingwoman?”

 

“You can say that.”

 

“I see.” I force a small smile, trying my best to hide my disappointment.

 

“Mhm..” Jennie nods, her gaze now locked on the sun that’s slowly beginning to dip down below the horizon.

 

“It’s okay, I like the way things are now...in the future this would save both of us.” I get up, ignoring the frown on Jennie’s face.

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“Don’t worry about it.” I pat her head gently.

 

“No.” Jennie grabs my hands.

 

“Jen..”

 

“I have to know, what’s her name?”

 

“Why? I told you I…”

 

“I have to know the name of the person who’s taking you away from me.” Jennie, for the first time since we’ve met again, sounded so hurt..so alone.

 

“Jen..” I placed my hands on her cheeks, “No one’s taking me away. I’m still here aren’t I?”

 

“That’s..” she sighs, pulling away from me, “Nevermind. C’mon let me take you home.”

 

“Jennie.” I stop her, “What is it?”

 

“Let’s just talk about this later, please.”

 

“Jen..”

 

“Later Rosie.” Jennie’s voice was soft, but pleading.

 

“Okay.”

 

-Jennie-

 

“Okay what’s going on?” Jisoo asks when she sees me on her bed all cozy.

 

“I just wanted to hang out with my best friend. Is that a crime?”

 

“No..but all this.” Jisoo makes weird hand motions, “All this means that something is bothering you.”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes, cause you only ever barge in if something’s bothering you and whatever it is..it’s something you can’t fight with somehow.” Jisoo teases.

 

“I just dropped Rosie off.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“Rosie likes someone.”

 

“Oh?” Jisoo has that stupid smirk on her face.

 

“Yes.”

 

“And why would that be such a big issue for you? Weren’t you the one that kept telling me that you and Rosie are just friends? Unless of course you’re finally admitting to it.” Jisoo says in a teasing tone, and a part of me is regretting coming here for help.

 

“Are you seriously making me say it out loud?”

 

“Well I mean it’s not everyday the great Jennie Kim admits…” Jisoo trails off, looking at me to finish her sentence.

 

“Fine, okay. I like Rosie. I like her a lot. Happy now?”

 

“Very.” Jisoo had a wide grin on her face, settling next to me on her bed.

 

“Okay now can you tell me how to hunt down the girl Rosie likes.”

 

“Jennie!” Jisoo smacks my arm, “Don’t tell me you’ll threaten the poor girl.”

“No..I’ll just very politely ask her to either date Rosie or to off.”

 

“Yeah, threatening won’t work..besides I’m pretty sure that said girl also likes Rosie.”

 

“And you know how?” I raise a brow, “What do you know Kim?”

 

“Woah there, calm down.” Jisoo shakes her head, “The two of you I swear.”

 

“So you do know something.”

 

“I mean I was sure about one side, but now I’m pretty sure it’s a two way street.”

 

“Okay so who is she then?”

 

“I’m not telling.”

 

“Jisoo!”

 

“Just open your eyes Jen. You’ll see who she is, but also now that you’ve finally acknowledged your feelings for her...take care of her carefully okay?”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“Nothing serious, just me trying to make sure you don’t mess this up with Rosie somehow..Now can you scootch over a bit more, you’re literally in the middle of my bed.”

 

~ ~

 

“Hey Je..whoa okay why am I being dragged?”

 

“What do you know Manoban?” I let go of Lisa’s collar once we’re in a more secluded

 

“Know?”

 

“About Rosie’s crush.”

 

“Ahhhhh.” Lisa looks at me with a half smirk, “So she hasn’t told you who it is.”

 

“Yes, now tell me.”
 

“No can do Jen. This is something that Rosie should tell you.”

 

“So who else knows? Does Hyeri? Ashely?”

 

“I would think they’re the first to know.”

 

“So you all know who, but me.”

 

“I don’t know about Chu.”

 

“Chu knows.”

 

“Right, of course..she probably noticed. Rosie’s pretty obvious if you watch her enough.” Lisa chuckles, although there’s something in her eyes..that seemed off.

 

“But I gotta get to class..just talk to Rosie or better yet open your eyes.” Lisa waves off.

 

“Why are you and Chu telling me that!” I yell out, but Lisa just waves a hand.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“You skipped all your classes today.”

 

“I didn’t.” I turn away from Rosie.

 

“And with the attitude you’re giving me apparently your meals too.” Rosie teases me.

 

“I just had a lot on my mind.”

 

“Like?” Rosie takes the swing next to me like usual.

 

“Like you.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Hmm..”

 

“Wanna tell me why I was running through your mind? No wonder I’m so tired today.” Rosie teases me.

 

“Just today?” I finally looked at her.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Because you’re always running through my mind.”

 

“Oh jeez Jen that was cheesy.” Rosie chuckles.

 

“You started it.” I smile, feeling a lot of my stress go away with the sound of her laughter.

 

“Alright, but seriously though..what’s going on?”

 

“That girl you like.” I begin, watching as Rosie’s body seemed to fully relax at the mention of this girl...lucky .

 

“Hmm what about her?”

 

“Why are you so sure she doesn’t like you back? Or actually why does it seem like you’re relieved about it?”

 

“I wouldn’t say I’m relieved by it..I mean it still hurts, but I’d rather be the one hurting. I don’t want her to be in pain..or to be hurt, because of me.”

 

“Well do you plan on hurting her on purpose?”

 

“No, but I know I will...even if I don’t want to.”

 

“How are you so sure?”

 

“I just am. Now c’mon, let’s go grab some food?” Rosie puts her hand out for me to take and for the first time I’m scared to take it.

 

“Jen?” Rosie leans down after a few moments of her just holding her hand out., “What’s really going on with you? Are you okay?” She asks, cupping my cheeks in her hands.

 

“Yeah..I’m fine.”

 

“You’re lying.”

 

“Rosie.” I sigh, “Please don’t push this.”

 

“Why? Did I do something wrong?” Rosie juts her lower lip out.

 

See this is why I want her to stop insisting. How could I possibly keep lying to her face when she looks at me like that.

 

“You didn’t.” I grab her hands off my face, holding them in my hands for a bit, savoring the warm feeling, “I’m okay. I just don’t feel like talking about it.” I get up, letting go of Rosie’s hands.

 

I don’t want to get hurt even more.

 

“Jennie.” I suddenly find myself in Rosie’s comforting embrace, “I’m sorry.” She apologizes softly, “I don’t know what it’s for...but every part of me is saying that it’s my fault somehow. So forgive me please? I don’t like you being sad because of me.”

 

See this isn’t fair..how can I..when..

 

“Rosie.” I look up at her, “Please don’t be mad.” I say, before stealing a very quick kiss from her lips.

 

“Jen?” Rosie takes a step back.

 

This is the part I get rejected, right?

 

“What? Why? That? You..just..and..” Rosie was babbling cutely.

 

“You know I tend to speak with actions rather than words.”

 

“So that?”

 

“Rosie..you liking someone else..that’s what’s bothering me, because I like you, a lot.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: Okay okay next chapter is the end...because there’s another idea in my head..but that also means it’ll be a bit longer so yeah..

 

Let me know what you think.

 

Till next time

 

Ciao~~