First Place (6)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

-Jennie’s POV-

 

“I’m sorry”

 

Rosie’s soft voice has been replaying in my head over and over all day...was it a dream or did she really say it?

 

“Mrs. Bae.” I’m pulled out of my thoughts by my secretary, “You’re meeting with the board in 10 minutes.”

 

“Right..thank you Lia.” I smile, checking my phone to see if Rosie’s replied to my texts yet.

 

Something wasn’t right..Rosie always replies right away.

 

~ ~

 

“Jen? What are you doing here?”

 

“Hey Lis..just wondering have you heard from Rosie today yet? She hasn’t been texting me or answering my calls.” I sigh, plopping on the couch in Lisa’s office.

 

“Really? Well maybe it’s cause she’s still on the plane, her flight left this morning right?”

 

“What flight?” I ask, Rosie..she wouldn’t, not without saying anything.

 

“Wait, she didn’t tell you?” Lisa frowns, “She left for Greece this morning.”

 

“Greece?!” I stood up, “How long is she there for?” I ask while furiously typing on my phone.

 

“Uhm she said a month for work.” Lisa shrugs.

 

“I don’t think so, Lis.” I look up from my phone, “Rosie wouldn’t leave just like that, not without telling me.”

 

“She doesn’t have to tell you everything, Jen.”

 

“But she does anyway, which means this isn’t just a 1 month work trip.”

 

“And? Does that matter?”

 

“Of course it matters.” I reply, starting to get annoyed.

 

Is Lisa not concerned that Rosie might not ever come back?

 

“Why?” Lisa asks, sitting back on her chair, arms crossed.

 

“What do you mean why?”

 

“Why does it matter if it’s not just a 1 month work trip? There’s nothing tying her to stay here, she’s free to go wherever and honestly, if she plans on not coming home then okay. It’s not like we can’t visit her or anything.”

 

“Do you hear yourself? Rosie might not be coming home and you’re okay with that?”

 

“Like I said, there’s nothing tying her here, so why are you getting so worked up about it?”

 

“Because I..because she…” I couldn’t find the words.

 

“You can’t have them both, Jen.” Lisa says, leaning forward, her arms resting on her desk.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?”

 

Lisa sighs, chuckling to herself, “Nothing, just saying my thoughts out loud.”

 

“Lisa, can you please be serious.”

 

“Just give Rosie time, Jen. You know she’s not the type to make rash decisions.” Lisa tells me, her gaze softening.

 

“Alright..” I relent.

 

“Good..now how about a movie night with Chu and me?”

 

~ ~ ~

 

-1 year later-

 

“Hello?” I answer the unknown caller, something I usually don’t do.

 

“I’m surprised you answered.” I heard her voice again after a year of waiting.

 

“Rosie..” I smile. I’m glad I answered.

 

“Hey Jen..how are you?” I can sense she’s nervous by the sound of her voice.

 

“Good..doing good..how are you Rosie?”

 

“Great. I’ve been enjoying Santorini, it’s beautiful here Jen.”

 

“Santorini? So that’s where you are.” I say, sitting down in my office chair and staring out the window, “It’s raining here in Melbourne.” I tell her.

 

“Is it?”

 

“Mhm.” I nod, an air of loneliness settling around me, “Anyways, why’d you only decide to call me back now?”

 

“Oh.” I hear Rosie sigh into the phone, “Do you want me to be honest?” She asks me and I frown, “You know there’s nothing you can’t tell me Rosie.”

 

“Right.” I can tell she’s nodding her head, probably biting her lower lip from nervousness.

 

“It’s okay Rosie..you can tell me.” I assure her again, my own anxiousness building.

 

“I just..uhm well I guess it’s because I needed to learn not to look at you anymore.” Her answer leaves speechless.

 

“Rosie I..”

 

“Sorry Jen, I’ll call you again okay? I have to go.” Rosie interrupts me, and I can do nothing but let her go.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Okay. Talk to you later Jen bye.” Rosie hangs up before I can get another word out.

 

“Bye...I miss you.” I say into the receiver even though the call’s already been disconnected.

 

I guess it was just me who misses our time together, “Learn how to not look at me anymore huh..” I sigh, the words hurting me more than they should.

 

-Flashback-

 

“GO ROSIE GO! GO ROSIE GO!” The crowd was cheering, the game was tied at 2-2, Rosie having scored the 2 goals.

 

“C’mon Rosie.” I whisper under my breath, watching as she runs up the pitch, the soccer ball seemingly being pulled towards her like metal to a magnet, her gaze meets mine for a fraction of a second. “Go Rosie!” I yell and she nods, her movements getting faster, sharper.

 

“We have a minute left and number 9, Roseanne Park is dribbling up the pitch, passing one….two...three….defenders..now it’s just a one on one with the...GOALLL!!! Roseanne Park has just scored the winning goal giving Parkhurst Academy their 3rd back to back championship!”

 

The crowd roars, everyone wanting to congratulate the team and I watch as the team runs to Rosie, but she starts dashing towards the stands and suddenly the MVP of the game has her arms wrapped around me, lifting me up, “We won Jen!” Rosie happily says while she twirled me around.

 

“Rosie! Put me down.” I laugh, holding onto her tighter.

 

“We won.” Rosie finally puts me down breathless, leaning her forehead against mine, “We won.”

“You did, congratulations.” I look into her eyes and the urge to kiss her comes to the forefront of my mind, but thankfully Rosie is pulled away by the team.

 

“Jen..you okay?” I feel a hand on my shoulder, pulling me out of my thoughts.

 

“Oh..hey Chu.” I give her a small smile, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I had a meeting nearby and thought I’d say hi before heading home. But what’s got your mind so occupied that you didn’t notice me calling your name?”

 

“Nothing.” I lied.

 

“Jennie.” Jisoo looks at me with a raised brow.

 

“Rosie called me..a few minutes ago.”

 

“She did? And? What’d she say?”

 

“She said that things are going great...did you and Lis know she’s in Santorini?”

 

“Not until recently, but anyways did she say anything about coming back?”

 

“No..she just wanted to say hi.”

 

“After a year of ghosting you,” Jisoo looks at me intently, “she calls just to say hi...I know you Jen..You asked her right?”

 

“I was too caught up in talking to her again to ask.” I lied.

 

“I know you’re lying. You’ve been wanting to know why it’s only you she stopped talking to, even though you already knew the answer.”

 

“Jisoo can you not with this?” I rub my temples.

 

“Even now you still haven’t accepted it to yourself?”

 

“Jisoo.”

 

“You know you love her, Jen. I don’t know why you think you don’t. Like why are you so convinced that you’re in-love with Rene?”

 

“Please Chu.”

 

“Alright fine..I’ll drop it.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“But.”

“Jisoo.”

 

“Okay okay.” Jisoo puts her hands up, “You know I’m just looking out for you.”

 

“I know. Thank you.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

-3rd Person POV-

 

“Joohyun, why don't you just be honest with your wife.”

 

“Seul can we not do this right now. I had a long day, can I just enjoy dinner with my best friend?”

 

“Hyun...you know you’re not the only one hurting here, but if you don’t talk to her then noth..”

 

“Kang Seulgi. Enough.” Irene’s voice was soft, but stern and Seulgi knew not to pursue the topic anymore.

 

“Alright okay..” Seulgi sighs, “But you can’t keep staying out all night.”

 

“Seulgi..” Irene sighs, her eyes fixated on her plate of food, “Do you know what it’s like to always be told that it was you they chose..but you know in fact that’s not the case.”

 

-Flashback-

 

Irene was leaving her business management class when she heard some girls talking in the halls.

 

“Hey isn’t that Roseanne Park?”

 

“Yeah, that’s her..on god why is she so fine? So glad I actually went to class today.”

 

“Too bad she’s taken.”

 

“She is?!”

 

“Mhm look.”

 

The three girls watched as a short brunette made her way to the blonde who was cooly leaning her back on the wall.

 

“Jennie Kim?! I thought they were just friends?”

 

“Do you look at your friends like they look at each other?”

 

“Exactly..so just keep dreaming, because the way they look at each other is goals.”

 

Irene’s eyes went towards where the girls were looking and she saw how the two interacted. How Roseanne was very attentive to Jennie and how Jennie would cling onto the blonde.

 

“They are cute.” Irene whispers to herself with a smile.

 

~ ~

 

“Engaged? Jennie and I?” Irene looked at the two sets of parents in front of her.

 

“Yes, but only if you both agree.” Mr. Bae said with a smile on his face.

 

“Jennie dear?” Mrs. Kim looked at her daughter, “Are you..okay with this?” The older woman hesitantly asked.

 

“I...sure.” Jennie agreed, surprising Irene.

 

“Okay great! How about you Joohyun?”

 

“I..uhm..well...I..” Irene didn’t know whether to agree or not. She’s gotten to know Jennie through an elective class and Roseanne as well, so saying yes to this feels somewhat like a betrayal, because Irene knows how the two friends feel for each other...even if they don’t know themselves.

 

“Sure.” Irene agrees in the end, not wanting to make Jennie feel bad.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Chaeyoung hey..what uhm brings you here?” Irene asks, gesturing for the taller girl to take a seat.

 

“Why are you obsessed with my korean name?” Roseanne chuckles, taking the seat.

 

“I just prefer it..anyways uhhh..”

 

“I just wanted to talk.” Roseanne smiles.

 

“Uhm about?”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Oh..okay.” Irene nods, unconsciously playing with the ring on her left hand.

 

“Jennie’s my best friend Rene..and I care a lot about her. I know that this whole engagement was decided by your parents..but I want you to know that Jennie cares for you. I’m not here to pressure you or anything..but the last thing I ever want is for Jennie to get hurt, so can you just maybe I don’t know try to see her as more than a friend. Jennie..she’s not hard to love.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” Irene sighs, “I--.”

 

“It doesn’t have to be right away..I mean you have your entire life to learn everything there is about Jen, and trust me..you’ll be falling for her without even knowing it.” Roseanne’s voice turns soft, and Irene feels guilt rising up in her again.

 

“I’ll try.” She smiles at the younger girl, who beams at her response.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“What happened to her?” Irene frowns, seeing Jisoo carrying a drunk Jennie inside their home.

 

“I don’t know...she called me drunk out of her mind.” Jisoo frowns, helping Irene get Jennie up to their room.

 

“Okay..I got it from here Jisoo, thank you.” Irene thanks the girl, who nods.

 

“No worries, goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight Jisoo. Let me know when you get home.”

 

After Jisoo leaves, Irene turns her attention to her wife.

 

“What happened to you Jen.” Irene sighs, taking off Jennie’s shoes, tucking her girl in. As Irene was about to leave, Jennie in her drunken state grabbed her wrist.

 

“Stay…” Jennie whispers in her sleep.

 

“Je..”

 

“Rosie..stay..don’t leave..” Jennie begs in her sleep.

 

“I won’t.” Irene sighs, laying on her side of the bed that doesn’t feel like hers, “I won’t ever leave.” Irene whispers as Jennie scoots closer, lifting an arm and draping over Irene’s waist, “Okay...you promise.” Jennie whispers, still in deep sleep.

 

“Yeah..I promise.” Irene holds her wife tighter, and Jennie relaxes.

 

“Everyone’s always told me that it’s me that Jennie loves, that I’m the one she chose..but” Irene looks up from her plate, gazing straight into Suelgi’s eyes, “in reality I’m just a substitute.”

 

“Hyun.”

 

“It wasn’t bad in the beginning since I didn’t really think of her that way..but Chaeyoung was right, it’s not hard to love her..or in my case like her..I guess.”

 

“If you like her then why are you running away?”

 

“Because the reason why she chose me is because I’m not Chaeyoung.”

 

“I’m lost.”

 

“Chaeyoung and I are like complete opposites..she’s very carefree, while I’m very directional. She’s out-going, social and I’m quiet and introverted.”

 

“Still lost Hyun.”

 

“Jennie cares for Chaeyoung more than she wants to admit to herself. So she’s been projecting those emotions towards me, the yin to Chaeyoung’s yang.”

 

“So what do you plan on doing? You two can’t keep living like this, you’ll both be miserable.”

 

“I...I’m not sure.” Irene shrugs, “Do I let her go or do I try to win her heart?”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/n: Hi

 

let me know what you think.

 

Till next time

 

Adieu