First Place (4)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“Just what are you doing exactly Roseanne?” Lisa asked, barging into my office.

 

“Well good morning to you too Lis.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” Lisa says in a stern tone, looking me dead in the eye.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I sigh, knowing exactly what she’s referring to.

 

“Don’t act dumb Rosie.”

 

“Lisa…” I sigh, “It’s too early for you to be scolding me.” Rubbing my temples, feeling a headache coming.

 

“I’m not scolding, I asked you a question.”

 

“Right...but that’s usually how you’re scolding start, this isn’t a courtroom Lisa.”

 

“I know, but life isn’t a drama.” She tells me pointedly, playing with my unfinished rubix cube.

 

“I know that.”

 

“Do you?” She asks, already almost done putting the cube together.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Right, but you know..” She pauses, one turn away from completing the damn cube, “Sometimes when you think you’ve figured it out..when you think you've made all the possible moves and take a step back..” Lisa turns the top piece, “Do you see all the mistakes you made.” She hands me the cube, the faces all matching colors except the center piece.

 

“What are you trying to say with this?” I lift the cube up.

 

“I’m saying to take a step back.”

 

“From?”

 

“You know from.”

 

“I really don’t.”

 

“Chaeyoung, stop hurting yourself already.” Lisa says before walking out.

 

“Too late for that don’t you think.” I whisper, fiddling with my rubix cube..putting it back in it’s original unsolved form.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

-3rd Person POV-

 

“Good morning Jen.” Irene enters the kitchen where Jennie is currently preparing their breakfast.

 

“Hey, good morning.” Jennie smiles, feeling her cheeks turn red when Irene places a quick peck on her cheeks, “That smells good what are you cooking?” Irene asks, going around Jennie and grabbing two mugs out and preparing some coffee.

 

“Just some dumpling soup. I thought you might want something light to help start the day.”

 

“Ooh yum.” Irene smiles, signaling their staff to let her handle setting the table.

 

“Hmm someone woke up on the right side of the bed.” Jennie teases.

 

“Not really.” Irene looks at Jennie who raises a brow, while setting the soup on the table.

 

“You weren’t there.” The older finishes, and Jennie was thankful she didn’t lose all her composure at that moment or else she really would have dropped the soup.

 

“And when did you get so flirty Mrs. Bae?” Jennie hides her blushing face.

 

“I don’t know, you tell me Mrs. Bae?” Irene goes around Jennie, trying to get a glimpse of her face, “Cute.” Irene cooes.

 

“Tch..that’s cheating.” Jennie says under her breath as the two sit at the table.

 

It’s been 2 years since the wedding and Irene has really started to finally open up to Jennie, albeit slowly.

 

“So what’s the plan today?” Jennie asks, it was the weekend and although they should both be off, Irene would usually go to the office.

 

“How about a date?”

 

“A date??” Jennie was surprised.

 

“Yes.” Irene smiles, finding Jennie’s reaction absolutely adorable, “Why? Can’t I take my wife out?” The older teases.

 

“No..no..you can..it’s just..uh..” Jennie stutters nervously.

 

“Jen..just go get ready.” Irene interrupts the cute babbling.

 

“Okay!” Jennie finishes her meal lightning fast, bolting out of her chair Irene worries that she might trip over her own feet.

 

“Careful!” She shouts out towards her wife, who turned back with a wide smile on her face.

 

~ ~

 

“So what’s really going on?” Jennie asks, taking a sip of her favorite milk tea to calm her anxiousness. It was all so weird for Jennie and she knew something was up. Something happened for her wife to suddenly drop that cold facade she always puts up when they’re alone.

 

“What?”

 

“This date....something good must have happened for you to take me out.” Jennie said with a small smile.

 

“Like I said, I just want to take my wife out.” Irene looks at her wife.

 

I’m sorry.

 

“Oh..okay well..thanks.” Jennie’s full smile shows on her face, and Irene turns her head away.

 

“Hmm..well it’s close to dinner. Why don’t we go eat at Little Italy?

 

“Okay!” Jennie agrees, glad that she gets a few more hours with her wife.

 

~ ~

 

How can a day go from so perfect to an absolute nightmare in a matter of seconds? That’s the question Jennie wants to know as she watches her wife continuously eyeing the couple seated behind them.

 

“Something wrong?” She finally asks, but her question falls on deaf ears.

 

Of course. Jennie isn’t stupid..she figured Irene wouldn’t just take her out just cause, and judging from her wife’s sudden change in mood..one of the two in the table behind them is the cause of her good mood earlier.

 

With a sigh, Jennie lifts a hand and the waiter comes to them, “I’d like the bill please.”

“I’m sorry about dinner Jen.” Irene apologizes, as she parks the car in their garage.

 

“It’s fine, I still had a good time.” Jennie forces a smile, opening her door, “Aren’t you coming?” Jennie asks, turning back realizing that Irene wasn’t getting out.

 

“Sorry Jen...there's an emergency I have to go.” Irene gives a sorry smile.

 

Liar.

 

“Oh..that’s okay. I understand. Drive safely.” Jennie smiles, closing the passenger door and heading inside their house.

 

~ ~

 

-Rosie’s POV-

 

“Then Rene asked me to..” Jennie was animatedly describing her weekend with Irene. And even if I don’t want to listen to it, even though it hurts.. I still smile and give her my full attention, because it’s her..it’s Jennie.

 

“But then during dinner...she went back to being her usual self.” Jennie shrugs with a smile on her face, but I knew better..of course I would. Afterall, I know that Irene only puts an act that she’s okay with this arrangement in front of everyone, when in fact she doesn’t want this marriage to happen.

 

“Just give her time...you were both thrown into this thing so quickly, but you know she’s still our friend. Plus, you said she was the one that invited you out on your date right? That’s an improvement!” I smile widely, hoping that I can at least get Jennie to smile genuinely at me.

 

“Right..that’s true..” Jennie nods and I can tell there was something she left out.

 

“Hey.” I softly call out to her, leaning my arms on the countertop, “Are you okay?”

 

“Of course I am Rosie.” Jennie pats my head

 

“Alright.” I let it go, deciding it's better that I don’t push the subject anymore, “Now, what was the actual cause of your visit?” I ask.

 

“Ah..I was going to ask if you were going to come over tonight?”

 

“Tonight?”

 

“Yeah, let’s have a movie night.”

 

“Again? We’ve been having a lot of movie nights lately.”

 

“And? Are you complaining?” Jennie squints her eyes at me.

 

“No no of course not.” I put my hands up, “You know I love our movie nights.”

 

“Hmmm why do I sense a bit of sarcasm?”

 

“I’m not, I’m not.”

 

“Sure?”

 

“Abso…”

 

“Ms. Park.” I’m interrupted.

 

“Ah yes, what is it Seulgi?”

 

“I just wanted to go over some final details.”

 

“Sure sure, I’ll be there in a sec.” I nod and Seulgi walks away.

 

“Who was that?” Jennie asks me, eyeing Seulgi.

 

“Oh that’s Kang Seulgi, she’s the new interior designer for our cafes.”

 

“Ahh..I see. Looks like this branch is gonna be opening sooner than later.”

 

“Yeah..way ahead of schedule.”

 

“Well it looks like you’re getting busy and I have a meeting in an hour. I’ll see you at the house okay Rosie?”

 

“Yep.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Sisu is my spir..” My words die out when I see the crying girl next to me, “Jen...what’s wrong?” I ask, scooting closer to her.

 

“Nothing..” Jennie shakes her head, wiping her own tears away, “Uhm..I..let me go grab some more popcorn.” She gets up quickly, dashing towards the kitchen.

 

“Jen.” I come up from behind her, “What’s really going on?” I ask, placing a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Rosie..” Jennie turns, wrapping her arms tightly around my waist, and I feel my shirt getting wet with her tears.

 

God dammit Irene.

 

-3rd Person POV-

“Jen..it’ll all be okay.” Roseanne holds Jennie tightly in her arms, comforting her.

 

“It’s not Rosie. I’ll never be her number one.” Jennie cries, clutching onto Roseanne tighter.

 

Irene and Jennie were doing so well, the dinner fiasco seemingly behind them. In fact, Irene has begun to take Jennie out more, sending flowers, she’s to really open her heart to Jennie; however, there are days when Irene would completely shut Jennie out. Be rude, cold, not care and it’s on these days where Jennie just feels like losing hope.

 

“Listen to me…”

 

“Why couldn’t I just choose you Rosie.” Jennie sniffles, interrupting Roseanne. The blonde girl stiffening at her best friend’s words.

 

She couldn't.

 

“Jennie...Irene will come around..didn’t you say she’s been opening up more to you?” Roseanne chooses to ignore Jennie’s words.

 

“She only does when something good happens...and I’m sure it’s because of..”

 

“Hey..stop it.” Roseanne interrupts, “We’ve talked about this didn’t we? Irene won’t be the type to cheat and I talked to Seulgi, they’re just friends..they’ve known each other forever.” Roseanne explains things calmly to Jennie, her heartbreaking with each tear the shorter sheds.

 

“Come on, I think it’s time for me to get you up to bed.” Roseanne whispers once Jennie begins to calm.

 

“Rosie..” Jennie calls out to her while the blonde tucks her in.

 

“Hmm?” Roseanne hums, focused on tucking the smaller girl in.

 

“It would have been so easy if you were the one I chose...But I don’t know why I can’t help it.” Jennie admits, watching her best friend carefully..watching as Roseanne tensed at her words again.

 

“Just sleep Nini.” Roseanne turns to the brunette, giving her a blinding smile.

 

“Rosie...I’m sor..”

 

-Rosie’s POV-

 

“Don’t…” I interrupt Jennie, “I know you want to apologize, don't.” I sigh, so much for her being oblivious, “So you know.” I laugh lightly to myself, feeling like a complete idiot.

 

“...that night before the wedding..I.”

 

“It’s fine Jen.” I reach a hand out, hesitating for a moment, before taking her hand in mind, “Since you know..I guess there’s no hiding it now right? But don’t worry..I’m fine with how everything is right now.”

 

“I know I’m hurting you Rosie.” Jennie says in a small voice, holding onto my hand tighter. I stay quiet, because I didn’t know what to say.

 

“I'm fine with the way things are now.” I finally speak up after a tense silence.

 

“You're lying Rosie..”

 

“Well then what do you want me to say Jen?”

 

“I don’t know…but I don’t want to lose you Rosie, that’s why I kept it to myself.”

 

“You know that I won’t leave you Jen, but now that you know…” I sigh, trying to buy myself more time...is this what Lisa meant, about me not seeing my own mistakes?

 

“Jen...I know that it’ll make you feel better for me to act as if everything’s okay, but it’s going to be difficult for me to do that now that you know.” I begin and Jennie’s grip on my hand tightens again, “I wasn’t ever going to tell you. I wasn’t going to ask anything from you, but since we’re here..I’d just like one thing.”

 

“What is it?” Jennie asks, her voice breaking.

 

“Just let me stay this close to you and let me come running to you whenever you call me. Just let me do that. I’m still your best friend Jen. That won’t change.” I genuinely smile, wiping away the tears she shed.

 

“Can you stay tonight?” Jennie asks me.

 

“Of course.” I agree.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

And as Jennie fell asleep in her arms...she couldn’t help but wish it was Rosie her heart chose. It would be so easy. Loving Rosie isn’t hard, but Jennie just can’t love another.


 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/n: Alright...the next part is really going to move us along, because we gotta get this show on the road, because believe me or not, we’re just starting to dip our toes in this. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to pull this one off, but I’ve already started so….


 

Let me know what you think of this one...or any thoughts you may have on where this story will take us.

 

Oh also...I’m trying to decide on this...but..a few people on twitter want it..so I’ll ask here too: Would anyone be interested in a Memories prequel? It’ll focus on Jennie x Chaeyoung. I have an idea on how to go about it..but I’m still mulling it over. Right now it’s just a thought though.

 

Till next time

 

Byebye~~