Swings & Sunsets (5)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

-Jennie-

 

You know how sometimes life seems to keep working in your favor, how everything just seems to be going right and then suddenly you realize how good it’s been. And now you can’t shake the feeling that something bad needs to happen to keep the balance or something..do you know that feeling or would it be an intuition? Someone once called it the ening..so yeah let’s call it that. My life has been so good lately that I’m just waiting for the universe to me over..again. Hopefully, it won’t ever come.

 

“So guys.. I was thinking with the semester being a total drag, why not go somewhere after finals? To celebrate surviving another year in hell.” Lisa looks at us with hopeful eyes.

 

“Where?”

 

“I don’t care as long as there’s a beach.”

 

“How about LA? I have a cousin down there, so we won’t have to pay for a hotel.” Jisoo suggests.

 

“Ooh that sounds fun. The sun, the beach, Disney.” Lisa sighs dreamily.

 

“So LA then?” Jisoo looks at all of us.

 

“Yep.” Lisa nods.

 

“You two?”

 

“I’ll only go if Rosie goes.”

 

“Y’all clingy and it shows.”

 

“Nah Chu it’s just Jen.” Lisa teases me and I throw a fry at her, “It’s the truth though.”

 

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes at Lisa, turning my attention to Rosie, “So...are we going with them?”

 

“I uhm..I’m not sure.” Rosie looks at me apologetically, and the disappointment must have been obvious on my face because she followed up with, “But maybe if I can convince the right people I can make it.” Rosie smiles at me, squeezing my hand from under the table.

 

“Make what?” Hyeri and Ashley arrive.

 

“We’re going to LA once break starts!” Jisoo announces excitedly.

 

“Everyone?” Hyeri looks at Rosie, “Do you think you can handle it?”

 

“Guys it’s just a quick flight..I’m sure I can handle it. So help me out with mum and dad please?”

 

“Fine, but we’ll need Aly on our side too.”

 

“Yes!” Rosie cheers happily, looking at me with a wide child-like smile. but something about the way Rosie sounded, how both Hyeri and Ashley seemed to look at her with that same look I often find them giving Rosie..there’s something up, and I’m not sure if I should feel as scared as I do.

 

~

 

-Rosie-

 

“There you are, we were looking everywhere for you, we know Jen’s sleeping but your shoes were missing.” Lisa hands me a cup of hot tea, while taking a seat next to me on the patio.

 

“When Chu said she has a cousin here..I didn’t expect them to have a beach house on Malibu.” I chuckle, while Lisa just keeps eyeing me, “What?”

 

“Rosie…” She sighs.

 

“I know you know.” I look at her with a small smile.

 

“It was an accident..I knocked some things over on my dad’s desk and..”

 

“It’s fine Lisa, you don’t have to explain yourself.”

 

“Okay.” Lisa nods, “But..are you sure about this?”

 

“I don’t want to live off of borrowed time.” I peel my eyes away from Lisa’s, opting to stare out at the ocean instead.

 

“Rosie…”

 

“Don’t look at me like that.” I say, without sparing her a glance.

 

“I’m not giving you a look.” She denies.

 

“Yeah you are Lisa.” I face her again, “You’re giving me the look that everyone in my life who knows seems to always give me.”

 

“Rosie..”

 

“But in your defense, this is the first time you’ve given me that look.”

 

Lisa and I stay in a comfortable silence for a while, the sound of waves crashing against the shore serving as ambient noise.

 

“I’m sorry…” I finally speak up, I’m sorry that I don’t have a reason to fight.” I stare at Lisa, reaching out to wipe her lone tear.

 

“I just want you to be at peace and I hope this decision..when the time comes, won’t be something you regret.”

 

“I want to tell Jen, but I don’t want to take away the smile on her face. I don’t think I can handle seeing her breaking every time she sees me. I don’t want her to count our days together..I just want to be with her, for as long as I can..until the very end. Is that selfish of me? Trying to give her the absolute best of me?”

 

“It’s not wrong, but after that bubble’s burst then what?” Lisa looks at me for an answer I didn’t have.

 

This is why I didn’t want to tell her how I feel..why I just wanted us to just be friends, but with each passing day it became harder and harder to not blurt out my feelings for her.

 

“I’m going to head inside..you should too.” Lisa gets up.

 

“Right.” I followed after her, “Goodnight Lisa..thank you.”

 

“Goodnight..see you tomorrow Rosie.”

 

“Yes.” I offer a small smile, entering the bedroom where Jennie’s currently snuggled deep within the blankets, slipping into bed next to her, I was surprised when she suddenly snuggled into me, “Where were you?” She asked, voice groggy.

 

“Sorry did I wake you?”

 

“I woke up because I didn’t feel you next to me.”

 

“I’m sorry Love, just couldn’t sleep is all.” I pull Jennie closer.

 

“So I’m Love now?” She smiles teasingly even though her eyes are shut tightly.

 

“You are.” I place a lingering kiss on the top of her head, “Now let’s sleep. I have a feeling those guys are gonna wake us up early to spend the entire day at Disney.”

 

“I’d like to see Manoban try.” Jennie hums, before soft snores begin to escape her.

 

“I love you.” I whisper.

 

Hopefully one day I can tell her these words while she’s awake.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Love, can we please ride Incredicoaster? Please please please please.” I beg Jen cutely, with a pout.

 

“Alright alright come on let’s go tell the others we’re going to head to the other park.” She relents.

 

“Yes!” I fits pump

 

“Guys Rosie and I are going to ride the Incredicoas..”

 

“No.” Hyeri, Ashley, and Lisa all say sternly.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You mean that we can’t go without you guys. Right?” I look at the three.

 

“Right.” Lisa speaks up, “But can we go grab some food and maybe find Chu? I just realized she hasn’t come back from the washroom yet.”

 

“She just texted, she saw Mickey and had to get in line for a photo.” Jennie speaks up.

 

“Okay why don’t you two go ahead, and the three of us will find Chu.” Hyeri looks at Lisa.

 

“Sounds like a plan.” I drag Jennie away before they block me from riding a roller coaster.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“AHHHH I CAN’T DO THIS! ROSIE I CAN’T DO THIS!” Jennie screams, clutching my hand tightly against her chest.

 

“WHOOOOOO!” I yell raising my free hand up, “AHhh SHIIIT!” I laugh when we drop down again.

 

The ride was quick, but it was so much fun.

 

“All riders please exit to the door on your right.”

 

“Love, we gotta go.” I lift Jennie’s safety bar higher, and my heart almost melted at the sight, “Aww my poor dumpling, if you were scared you should have told me.” I take her hand, leading her towards Lisa and the others.

 

“I wasn’t scared.” She denies, while looking so cutely disheveled.

 

“Right you weren’t.” I agreed, fixing a few strands of her hair, before putting her minnie ears back on.

 

“You think I was scared? I’m not scared of anything. Nothing scares me.” She says so surely, “Actually that’s not true.” Jennie pulls me back, “There is something I’m scared of.”

 

“The Incredicaoster?” I tease.

 

“No.” She shakes her head, “Nothing in this world scares me more than losing you.”

 

Her words catch me off guard..finding it hard to tell her that she won’t lose me. That I won’t go anywhere. That I’ll always be by her side.

 

“This is the part where you reassure me babe.” Jennie squeezes my hand, pulling me out of my head.

 

“Oh so I’m babe now?” I tease.

 

“That’s not very reassuring.” Jennie pouts, looking like she’s about to cry.

 

“Okay okay, I’m teasing.” I pull her into my arms, “You won’t ever lose me Love..I’ll be here until the end..till death do us part.”

 

“Oh, did you just propose?” Jennie pulls away, that gummy smile of hers on her lips.

 

“If it was, would you say yes?”

“No.” She answers without missing a beat.

 

“I--HUH?”

 

“That wasn’t a very romantic line babe.” She boops my nose before running off to the others.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

-Jennie-

 

“I don’t want to go back..can’t we just stay on vacation forever?” Jisoo whines.

 

“Yes, sitting in this LA traffic is something I’d like to do forever.” Lisa says sarcastically.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that, I just meant not stressing about life y'know?” Jisoo retorts.

 

“Yeah..” We all agreed.

 

How can 5 days go by so quickly?

 

“We don’t leave until tomorrow morning, after we finish packing, why don’t we spend the rest of the day on the beach? I saw a pop-up restaurant thing being set up while taking a walk this morning.” Rosie suggests.

 

“Oh that sounds interesting.” The others get excited again.

 

“So that’s where you were when I woke up without you by my side this morning.” I whisper.

 

“I didn’t want to wake you, I got up pretty early.”

 

“Hmm.” I hum, while she leans her head on my shoulder, “Yeah, so lend me your shoulder for a bit.” Rosie closes her eyes.

 

“I’ll wake you when we reach.” I pat her head, holding her hand in mine.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Yooo this is so cool! They have a live band and everything!” Hyeri gushes, while Ashley and Lisa take a bunch of photos.

 

“What do you guys want to drink? I’ll go buy it.” Rosie offers, and soon everyone crowds the menu.

 

“Alright, alright.”

 

“C’mon I’ll help.” I offer, but Rosie shakes her head no, “I think those guys are so distracted, they’ll forget to ask for a table.”

 

“Okay.” I nod, grabbing two tables for us since each small table only sits 3.

 

I sit at the one closest to the makeshift stage, my eyes on Rosie. I smile as she interacts with one of the waitresses, but my smile goes away when I notice her shaking her head and waving her hands at the girl.

 

“What was that?” I ask after Rosie joins me at our table.

 

“Oh, nothing.” She smiles.

 

“Didn’t look like nothing.”

 

“Trust me, it’s not whatever it is you're thinking.” Rosie gives me a knowing look.

 

“I’m not thinking anything.” I shrug nonchalantly.

 

“Mhm sure you aren’t my possessive little dumpling.”

 

“Ugh can you two go back and get a room.” Ashley sits down.

 

“Whatever, you’re just jealous because Hyemmmpphhh would you shut it.” Ashley clamps Rosie’s mouth tightly.

 

“Alright everyone, we were asking some of our customers if they’d like to sing tonight, but everyone declined, so I guess you’ll have to put up with..”

 

“SHE’LL GO!” Ashley hold Rosie’s hand up with a revengeful smirk on her face.

 

“What the?!”

 

“Oh well nevermind we have a volunteer.”

 

“No, No, I can’t sing..I mean..I’m not good at..”

 

“SHE’S GREAT!!” Hyeri adds in.

 

“But I-I..”

 

“Just go babe.” I urge Rosie.

 

“Alright.” Rosie gets up, “Just cause you asked.” She winks at me.

 

“WHOO!” Our tables cheers for my girl the loudest.

 

“Wow, look at your friends cheering.” The waitress smiles, “So tell us your name and where you’re from.”

 

“Uhm Hi everyone, my name is Roseanne and I’m originally from Australia.” Rosie shyly smiles at the crowd and everyone claps.

 

Grabbing the guitar, Rosie smiles at me warmly and soon a soft melody begins to intertwine with the soft crashing of the waves. Rosie looked beautiful behind that piano, but she began to glow even more when she started to sing.

 

 

Honey, I thought you should know

That I'm in a hurry

I've got to move up north

But it's just temporary

I really tried not to lie

But this burdens getting heavy

No, you can't come with me this time

You got your own destiny, yeah

 

 

 

When I look at you I see your beauty

Now my baby boy he's gonna lose me

 

 

But Heaven's not too far away

I know someday you'll visit

And I didn't think it'd go this way

Can I please have one more minute

 

Rosie’s eyes were on me as she sang the song, but the lyrics...

 

 

No honey, I don't want to go

Please know that I have to

Look how the cancer has grown

I think it's time I go home

Yes, I can still hear your voice

Sounds just like it did

And I can still feel your hand

When it touches my skin

 

My dear Rosie..what are you trying to tell me this song?

 

But Heaven's not too far away

I know someday you'll visit

And I didn't think it'd go this way

Can I please have one more minute

I gave you life

Now you gotta watch it leave my eyes

But Heaven's not too far away

I know someday you'll visit

 

 

 

As death rattles my cage

I can hear their voices fading

Each breath getting harder

I can hear the tears coming from my daughter

And to her older brother

He's thinking back when he was younger

When he had a healthy mother

Who asked him to take care of his little brother

And he's not really sure about life

Or that how could any of this be right

But I know my babies they will be fine

Cause they can talk to me anytime

 

 

Cause Heaven's not too far away

I know someday you'll visit

I didn't think I'd go this way

Can I please have one more minute

I gave you life

Now you gotta watch it leave my eyes

But Heaven's not too far away

I know someday you'll visit

 

Honey, I thought you should know

That I'm in a hurry

I've gotta move up north

 

“But it's just temporary.” Rosie chokes out the last line, turning away briefly to wipe a tear and I mirror her, ““I’m sorry that song is just a bit emotional.” She apologizes to the crowd who were in tears as well.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

-Rosie-

 

Time. It’s such a simple word, but something so many crave more of. Time..before I would wish that my time would go by faster, so I can end this all..but after meeting Jennie again, after getting closer to her... do I now wish that time can go by slowly..for it to just stop so I can spend all my moments with her. But of course, time keeps flowing..taking me along with it.

 

“Hey.” Jennie sits next to me on the swing, “You’re still ignoring me?” She asks.

 

“Noo..” I deny, my eyes still on the horizon.

 

“C’mon Rosie..after the song on the beach..you’ve been avoiding being left alone with me.”

“It’s not that.”

 

“Okay then what is it?”

 

“What’s what?”

 

“You’re still going to act dumb Chaeyoung?”

 

My eyes shoot towards Jennie.

 

“How…”

 

“Your parents showed me your baby photos when you first had me over.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you knew?”

 

“It didn’t matter.” Jennie shrugs.

 

“It did..you came here because of that little girl.”

 

“I did, but then I met you and suddenly I found myself coming because of you...but why are you speaking like you’re not Chaeyoung?”

 

“I guess because sometimes it feels like that time in my life didn’t exist.”

 

“Rosie.” Jennie bends down in front of me, “Just what is it that you’re hiding from me?” She holds my hands in hers.

 

“Love.” I smile at Jennie, although my eyes begin to water, “There’s not many sunsets I have left to watch with you.”

 

“What do you mean by that? Are you breaking up with me soon?” Jennie tries to joke, but her own tears betray her.

 

“Of course not..I promised you that you’ll never lose me..that I’ll be here until the end.”

 

“How long?” Jennie asks, squeezing my hands tightly, like she’s already lost me.

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

“So any day?”

 

“Love.”

 

“Okay c’mon.” Jennie pulls me up with her.

 

“Where?”

 

“To somehow fit a lifetime together in whatever time we have left.” Jennie looks at me with a smile.

 

And maybe I lied to Lisa..I do have a reason to fight. Jennie..she’s been my reason, ever since.

 

“Jen.” I pull her into my arms, “I’m sorry.”

 

“I love you. Please know that.” Jennie cries, holding me tighter.

 

“I know..I love you too.”

 

I will get through this. For you Love.

 

~ ~

 

-1 month later-

 

“Are you tired already Rosie?” Jennie asks, as I cuddle closer to her.

 

“A bit, we’ve been doing a lot lately.” I whisper.

 

Is it time already?

 

“We have, haven’t we?” Jennie kisses the top of my head, “It’s okay love. You can rest Rosie. I’ll be here holding you.”

 

She knows it too.

 

“Can you sing for me?” I ask, unable to look her in the eye one last time.

 

“Sure.” Jennie’s voice slightly cracked.

 

I’m sorry my love.

 

“Any request?” Jennie asks.

 

“Anything..” I hum.

 

I'd never gone with the wind

Just let it flow

Let it take me where it wants to go

'Til you opened the door

And there's so much more

I'd never seen it before

I was trying to fly, but I couldn't find wings

But you came along and you changed everything

You lift my feet off the ground, spin me around

You make me crazier, crazier

Feels like I'm falling and I

Am lost in your eyes, you make me crazier, crazier, crazier

 

I watched from a distance as you

Made life your own

Every sky was your own kind of blue and I wanted to know

How that would feel and you made it so real

You showed me something that I couldn't see

You opened my eyes and you made me believe

You lift my feet off the ground, spin me around

You make me crazier, crazier

Feels like I'm falling and I

Am lost in your eyes, you make me crazier, crazier, crazier oh oh...

Baby, you showed me what living is for

I don't wanna hide anymore

You lift my feet off the ground, spin me around

You make me crazier, crazier

Feels like I'm falling and I

Am lost in your eyes, you make me

 

Crazier, crazier, crazier…” Jennie’s voice begins to die out.

 

“It’s okay love..you can rest.” I hear her whisper, using all the strength I have left to hold her tighter.”

 

“I love you too.” Jennie’s soft whisper sends me away.




















 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

-10 years later-

 

-Jennie-

 

“Mommy!!!!” A loud voice calls out to me.

 

“Kitchen!” I yell back.

 

“Look.” She hands me a photo.

 

“Where did you get this?” I grab the photo from her tiny hands, running my hand over the photo taken of me and Rosie as children on the swings.

 

“I found it in one of the books.”

 

“Who’s that mommy?” My daughter asks me.

 

“Well that’s me,” I point to myself “and this one’s…”

 

“I’m home!”

 

“Mom’s home!”

 

“No running Daisy!” I follow after her.

 

“Ma ma ma guess what.” Daisy hounds her other mother.

 

“What what?”

 

“I found a hidden photo of mommy when she was younger.”

 

“Did you now.”

 

“Mhm.”

 

“What photo?” My wife looks at me, our daughter still in her arms.

 

“No hello kiss?” I whine and of course get what I want.

 

“Just an old photo.” I hand her the photograph and she has a fond smile on her face.

 

“Look at that, You know those swings are still there.” She says softly, gently putting Daisy down, who runs back into her playroom.

 

“Mhm.” I nod.

 

“Maybe you and I should start doing that again, with Daisy of course.”

 

“Do what babe?”

 

“Watch the sunset from the swings.” Rosie smiles at me.

 

“Swings and sunsets with my family..I’d quite love that.” I hold her hand, squeezing it gently.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: TADA we have reached the end of this multi-shot. Songs used in the part were: Heaven’s Not Too Far and Crazier.

 

Let me know what you think yeah?

 

Oh also...out of curiosity….is there a story that I wrote you wish could have more parts..or kinda wished it ended differently?

 

Well that’s it for now.

 

Till next time

 

-Ciao.