Realisation

1% chance

“Morning...” Yunjae greeted as soon as he noticed Yunho opening his eyes. 

 

“Ah! You’re still here!” Yunho sat up excitedly, smiling brightly like a child.

 

“Oh... yeah, where else can I go?” 

 

“Right.. Right. Well, shall we head out for breakfast?” 

 

“Sure~” Yunjae nodded slowly. 

 

*************

 

The two men strolled along the street in silence, with an ice cream in one hand...

 

“So... how long have you been in Prague?” Yunho asked, breaking the silence. 

 

“Actually, I don’t really remember... I woke up in a hospital one day with no memories... I waited in the hospital for someone to come for me but no one came... I only had my luggage and passport with me. So I decided to fly back to Korea, hoping to regain my memories or find my family… That is if I even have one...” 

 

Weird... Is he like a reincarnation of Joong? I got to head back to the hospital to get more information from that Kim Heechul, whoever he is, he got to know more about this absurd situation. 

 

“I see... sorry to hear that, don’t worry! When we return back to Korea, I can help you locate your family or try to regain your memory!”

 

“W... we?” 

 

“Ya, we! Anyway I have nothing to do when I’m back!” 

 

“Thank you... you’re the first person who showed me such kindness and warmth...” Yunjae smiled faintly. 

 

Just then, Yunho stretched out his hand towards Yunjae, wiping away the ice cream from the corner of his lips with his finger and putting it into his own mouth.

 

“What---” Yunjae stood frozen to the ground, with his mouth open, not knowing how to react...

 

. I did it so naturally!!

 

“S--- SORRY! I...” Yunho stuttered... “I... because... I... we always… I mean I---”

 

“It’s alright!” Yunjae held out his arms and waved in front of him nervously. “I was just shocked that someone would help me clean my… my mouth...Th---thank you.”

 

“You’re...You’re  welcome...” Yunho replied shyly. “Ahem... let’s... let’s continue walking then~” 

 

“Wow flowers~!” Yunho walked towards the shop, breaking the awkward atmosphere. “Hmm… Yunjae ah~ What… is your favourite flower?”

 

“White lily.” Yunjae pointed at the vase filled with white lilies. 

 

“Hmm… favourite number?”

 

“2 and 7.”

 

“Favourite colour?”

 

“Black and white.”

 

SAME! THEY EVEN HAVE THE SAME LIKES! KIM JAEJOONG… ARE YOU REALLY BACK? 

 

Yunho smiled nervously… “Well, let’s get you a bouquet of lilies then!” 

 

“You don’t have to!”

 

“Well, I HAVE to,” Yunho insisted and went into the shop to pay for it. 

 

“Thank you...They smell… good." Yunjae smiled as he put the bouquet closer to his nose. 

 

"Careful!" Yunho pulled Yunjae into his embrace as a bicycle sped past them. "Are you okay?!" 

 

"My… my flowers!" Yunjae dashed toward the fallen bouquet on the floor. He quickly picked them up and dust off the dirt on the flowers before waving them in the air, flashing a wide smile at Yunho. 

 

Don't… smile at me like that... That smile… that melts my heart every single time…  I missed it so much. So so much. 

 

Yunho took a wide step towards him, grabbed onto his arm and pulled him towards him.  He has held it in for too long… His heart ached so much that he had to hold him now. 

 

“Yunjae ah… I… I know this sounds weird and sudden but… can you please let me take care of you? I know we just met and I know you must be confused right now, with no memories, no family or friends around you. But if you can put your trust in me… I promise I will always put you as my first priority. I’ll be there for you whenever you need me to, I’ll never leave you, I’ll take care of you! Please?” Yunho begged. 

 

Yunjae looked at him, confused… “Can... you please... let me go first?” 

 

“Ah---” Yunho let go of him quickly, “s---sorry!” 

 

That hurts… Yunho sighed… Holding him in my arms was such a normal thing to do… but now… 

 

Just as he took his first step back, he lost his balance and fell.

 

“Yunho!” Yunjae rushed forward to help him up. 

 

“I’m al---” Yunho tried to speak but he couldn’t... His head was spinning again... he started to gag uncontrollably, he wanted to vomit but nothing came out… his head hurts so bad that he couldn’t even register what was happening… 

 

“Yunho! YUNHO!” Yunjae called out anxiously. “Wait, I’ll call for an ambulance!” 

 

... why must this happen in front of him... don't lose consciousness... PLEASE don't lose consciousness... Yunho clenched his fists harder to force himself awake, but the noises in the surroundings started to fade out... his vision blurred... and finally, darkness took over... 

 

*************

 

“Patient’s up.” The nurse called out as soon as Yunho opened his eyes. 

 

“Yunho...” Yunjae called out anxiously. 

 

Yunho turned to see Yunjae standing at the door but he didn’t know what to say to him… 

 

The doctor soon stepped in to check on Yunho, “Hmm... seems like this is your second time here, we suggest that you do a more detailed check before we discharge you this time.” 

 

“I don’t---” Yunho stopped as he saw Yunjae standing next to him, his eyes filled with concern and fear. “I’ll... I’ll do it. But, please keep any of my conditions confidential. Only discuss them with me, and no one else.” Yunho said softly. 

 

The doctor glanced towards Yunjae and nodded. “Sure. Prepare Mr Jung for a scan.” He instructed the nurse before stepping out together. 

 

“You... feeling better?” 

 

“Ah... yes, maybe it was something that I had for breakfast... don’t worry!” Yunho forced a smile, trying to comfort him. “I--- sorry that you saw me in this state... I’m not always like that... I ---”

 

“It’s alright! I’m just worried that something bad might happen to you... and we have things to do together, don’t we?” Yunjae shrugged his shoulders and smiled. 

 

“Yes... we have. Yes, we do...” Yunho stared at the ceiling... 

 

Yes... yes we do... now that I met you… Yunho smiled. Many thoughts ran through his mind as he slowly faded back into sleep again... 

 

*************

 

“Based on our scans, we detected tumors in your brain, which I assume you already know?”

 

Yunho nodded slowly, “how bad is it now?”

 

“The tumors are only at the right side of your brain and have yet to spread to other parts of your brain yet... a surgery is possible but your body is too weak to go through a surgery now. You can opt for a targeted therapy for now...” 

 

“How long can I live?” Yunho asked bluntly.

 

“I would say 6 months from the looks of it... it can be prolonged if you start going through treatments now, or maybe even recover from it.”

 

“6 months... 6 months...”

 

“Mr Jung, I’m sure this is a huge blow for you but you have to make a decision soon. Do you have a doctor who has been treating you?”

 

Yunho nodded again, “Y---yes... I--- Thank you... I... will probably decide when I head back to Korea, thank you...” Yunho nodded as he stumbled out of the room. 

 

6 months... 

 

Yunho laughed as he slumped to the ground. Before he met Yunjae he didn't care less if he died right away, but now every second is so precious... 

 

Why is this happening to me… Why did you appear at this time? But is this the right thing to do? To enter your life now? When I am about to die?

 

*************

(Flashback)

 

Yunho walked towards Jaejoong’s now cold body. 

 

His whole body feels numb. 

 

He couldn't even cry.

 

I don't deserve to cry… I caused his death. It was me. It was all me… 

 

His world collapsed. 

 

He's gone… 

 

Gone…

 

Gone. 

 

"Jaejoong ah… I miss you already…" 

 

No… death wasn't the hardest part… It was letting go… yes… the realisation when he's really gone…

 

Looking at Jaejoong getting buried, it suddenly dawned on him that he couldn't see, feel and hear him again… ever again… that broke him… it broke him into pieces.

 

Yunho finally broke down. He couldn't hold it in anymore, all the memories they had together came flooding back in, tears started to fall... He could no longer hold the heartbreak, as his grief poured out in a flood of uncontrollable tears… he didn't care that everyone was staring at him… he needed to grieve… he missed him, he missed him like crazy… 

 

*************

 

Yunho's eyes welled up with tears as he recalled that painful memory… that memory that he has been suppressing for so long… 

 

Knowing that Yunjae might go through this pain, the same pain that he went through saddened him. 

 

How can I let him go through this pain, this heartbreak? I should leave. Yes, that’s the right thing to do. I cannot be so selfish. I am dying. But he has his life to live. Who am I to do this to him? Yes. That’s the right thing to do. Yes… 

 

Yunho stood up and walked back to his room, determined to leave.