The will to fight

1% chance

“The results have shown that it is a metastatic brain tumor. It is malignant, meaning it ---”

 

“Yes I know what it means, what can we do now? Surgery? Chemotherapy?” 

 

“Surgery is still possible as there aren’t many tumors now. Alternatively, we can try radiosurgery. But the most worrying thing now, is that Mr Jung is not receptive to any treatments.”

 

“He will be.”

 

“The patient’s willpower is very important. If he does not agree to go through treatments soon----”

 

“I know. I know… Just, give me some time… He’ll come through. He has to…”

 

***************** 

 

“We’re finally going home!”

 

“What?” Yunho rubbed his eyes and sat up slowly… 

 

“Dr. Sung said that you are clear! You're clear of cancer cells! You won the battle!”

 

Yunho smiled… he remembered this scene… he’s in his own memory… but he didn’t want to get out of it. 

 

“Yes… we did it. Together.”

 

“Come now, pack your things and we’ll go home, and lay in bed all day~”

 

“All day?! What, I’ve had enough of lying in bed… why don’t we travel out of Korea?”

 

“T… travel?! I don’t know about that, Yunho… you just recovered and I…”

 

“Baby… we lost so much precious time together and I really don’t want to lose any more time I have with you…” 

 

“Well then, my dear, out of Korea it shall be.”

 

“Love you…” Yunho smiled… he forgot how long it has been since he smiled so widely and genuinely… 

 

“I L---”

 

***************** 

 

“Who were you talking to?”

 

“Ah--- Yuri…”

 

“You… were talking to someone?” She looked around the room.

 

“I… I was just… I guess I was sleep-talking?”

 

“Oh… right, I uh… I just met up with Dr Sung and... “

 

“No. I’m not going through any treatments. I’m going home.”

 

“Please Yunho, why are you giving up on yourself?”

 

“I’m not. It’s just that my time is up and I’m not going to fight it this time.”

 

“How could you be so selfish… What about the people who supported you and gained confidence from your recovery?!”

 

“They’re not my problem.”

 

“How could you say that?! Do you know how many of them gained courage because of you, because of what you said?! You did it once, you can do it again! Even if it is a 1% chance!”

 

“Like I said, they are not my problem. And look. I have failed. I am not who they think I am. I’m not a survivor. I’m a cancer patient. Again. Just like them.”

 

“But--- “

 

“It’s enough… I won't be doing talks anymore. Cancel all of them and compensate them if need be.”

 

“What about me?”

 

… 

 

“Huh? What about me? I have stood by you for so long… and now you’re just throwing your life away without a fight?! What am I to you?!”

 

“Yuri…"

 

“I know you could never fully give your heart to me… But I thought, at least, at least you could at least try… or pretend that I mean something to you… “

 

“I’m sorry… “

 

“I don’t need your apology. I guess… I can never replace him in your heart. I never did and never will.”