Our Promise

Because We're Not Like Others

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

                Thirteen days later, our group had a two day break. The others all went home and I was supposed to do the same. Instead, I packed my backpack, grabbed my wallet, my new phone, pulled on my clothes and caught the earliest bus to an old village far away from the city.

                I hid myself behind a white mask like they use in hospitals, around my neck wrapped a very large scarf and my eyes were hidden behind a sunglasses. All the way there, I was wondering what am I going to say when I see him and the further I go, the more I doubt my decision. I couldn’t count the number of times I was about to get off. I couldn’t count the number of times I forced myself to not.

                I had been to his house for quite a few times. It was settled in a small village with a beautiful river quite far away from the city. It wasn’t hard to imagine him coming from a place like this. It was a beautiful and clean and quiet place. Nothing like the city at all.

                I got there around noon. On the way towards his house, I saw an old lady walking up a small hill with a heavy basket in her hands. It looked like she was paying a visit to the graveyard. I quickly caught up with her.

                “Grandma!” I called and she turned around, her kind old eyes looked at me in surprise. I smiled and realized she can’t see my face and quickly took off my mask and sunglasses.

                “I’m sorry to frighten you but I thought I can help you with your heavy basket. You’re going up the hill right? It’s tough walking up with the thick snow.” I said taking the heavy basket from her hand. She smiled gently.

                “Oh my, what a nice young man.” She said, her voice sounded light and gentle. “I seemed to have a lot of handsome boys helping me these few days.” She laughed while I smiled.

                “What a charming face,” she said pinching my cheek. “I’ll leave my basket to you then.” I smiled and followed her up the rather steep hill.

                “What are you doing here in this little village?” she asked, making conversation.

                “I’m here to find a friend.” I answered and she smiled peeking up at the sky.

                “Are you from the city?”

                “Yeah.”

                “That must be some special friend for you to come this far.” She commented, a few strands of hair fell from her neat salt and pepper bun when the wind blew.

                “Yeah,” was all I could answer.

                We continued to walk in silence, enjoying the rare sunlight in the middle of winter. She started humming a tune with her soft voice and my heart laughed when I recognized that song.

                “How do you know this song? You listen to Beast?” she looked at me sideways like I was crazy.

                “What is Beast?”

                “Oh, never mind then. But how do you know this song anyway?”

                She smiled again at an old memory.

                “I had only heard this song once.”

                “I’m glad you liked it, I wrote this song.” She looked up at me in surprise.

                “Ahh, so you’re the one! What a small world!” She exclaimed. “A young angel sang this song to me the day I arrived here when it was snowing heavily. He had this great big black umbrella and mismatched shoes. I thought he was crazy until I saw his smiling face. It was the warmest smile I had ever seen in my life! He had such a lovely voice too. You must be his friend!”

                I smiled wistfully imagining Yo Seob doing everything she was describing. It was definitely him. I was the one who put that great big umbrella into his backpack.

                “Yeah.” I smiled.

                “So you’re that special friend of his who wrote this song. I cried when I heard him singing this song and you should have seen his eyes. They were hiding something bitterer than my old tears. Poor angel.” The old lady sighed. I didn’t know what to say so I just kept quiet.

                I escorted her all the way up the hill and back down again for the floor was slippery with ice when she had done with her prayers. Her words ran over my head again and again. I realized I was the cause of those sad eyes.

                The old lady thanked me when we finally reach the bottom. I continued my journey towards his house. I was walking along a very large and pretty frozen river when my eyes caught sight of a figure sitting alone on an icy bench beside the river under the sun. I squinted and my heart dropped. It was none other than Yo Seob.

 

 

Yo Seob’s POV

 

 

                “Yo Seob ah.” I heard my mum calling me softly. I opened my eyes to see her smiling down at me.

                “Onma,” I said sitting up on my bed and she smiled brighter.

                “Dad and I are going out today. You be a good boy and stay at home kay?”

                “Hmm?” I frowned. “We don’t have to open the restaurant today?”

                “No, we’re taking a day off to visit some relatives. You can come too if you want to come.” She said as she pulled away the curtains beside my bed. For a few long seconds, she just looked out at the frozen river.

                “You used to sit there a lot when you were young. Do you remember?” she asked without looking at me. Still rubbing my eyes, I peeked at the river and noticed that bench underneath a very big willow tree. I smiled wistfully.

                “Yeah, you always knew where to find me. I’d almost forgotten that place.” After a few more seconds of silent staring, she kissed my forehead goodbye and left. I watched their car moved out of the driveway and waved goodbye.

                After a long hot shower, I pulled on my windbreaker and hesitated before putting on Jun Hyung’s black scarf. I ignored the faint smell of him from the scarf, I also ignored the voice in my head yelling why am I making life hard for myself.

                It was as cold as ever out there. Even colder than the city. My fingers were freezing, I forgot to wear gloves again and this time, no one is going to be here to hold my hand and keep me warm. I walked towards my old favorite place, my boots sank into the snow with every step I take. I shivered against the piercing yet gentle wind. This time, no one will come and hug me and keep me warm.

                I sighed and watched my own breath in the air and sat down on the bench. I hid my hands inside the pockets of my windbreaker and stretched my legs.

                I wondered about him. Will he think of me half as often as I think of him? Or is he mad at me? Time is almost up for me. I need to go back again. How will I face him again when I see him. I sighed again and squint up at the sunny sky. A perfect blue sky that is too sunny for my mood. I closed my eyes and faced the sun, letting the sunshine warm me though no amount of sun will ever warm my heart again.

 

 

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

 

                He was sitting there, his face tilted towards the sun looking so tired and pale. His mum must had been worried sick. I stood there and just stared. My heart did a weird clenching and gripping while my stomach did an abnormal twitching.

                Beneath the sun, he looked like an angel with my scarf wrapped around his neck and his oversized windbreaker. I pulled out my phone and with all my courage, I dialed his number. After a few rings, I saw him reaching inside his pockets and he turned into stone when he saw me calling.

                The phone rang and rang as I watched him did nothing but stared. On the second time I called, he closed his eyes and gripped his phone hard then finally picked up.

                “Hello?”

                “Hi, it’s me.” I answered.

                “Jun Hyung ah. How are you? Are you all healed already?” I saw him trying really hard to smile and act cheerful when he said that.

                “Yeah, I’m all better now. What about you? Are you alright? I heard you went back home.”

                “Yeah, I’m at home now. Miss my family a lot.”

                “Where are you now? It sounds windy.”

                “Me?” he said. “Oh, I’m at my old favorite place. I’m sitting beside this large river but it had turned into ice now.” I watched as he waved his hand around describing the place.

                “Yo Seob ah,” I said.

                “Hmm?” he lowered his head to look at his shoes.

                “Let’s talk alright?” he lifted a hand and covered his face tiredly.

                “Sure,” his voice sounded cheerful but his face was not smiling at all.

                “Why are you doing this?”

                He paused for a long time. He lifted his head and looked into the river.

                “Because I don’t love you anymore.” He answered.

                “Liar.”

                “I-.” he took a deep breath and tried again. “Hara is a pretty and nice girl. She is a better choice than me. She can make you happier than me.”

                “Do you want me to be with her?” I almost bit my tongue at the bitterness of my voice and words. He frowned.

                “It’s better if you do.” He finally said and abruptly hung up. The line went dead and I watched as he closed his eyes taking deep breaths. My vision blurred with unwanted tears that were caused by his words but I hardened myself, I called him again. When he finally pick up after three times calling, I said,

                “Am I not allowed to choose who I want to be with?” I asked my voice barely louder than a whisper for I was afraid my voice would break.

                He shook his head.

                “What’s wrong with me? Am I not good enough for you?” he shook his head profusely.

                “No!” he said a little too loudly. “Jun Hyung ah, please don’t do this to me.”

                “Aren’t you the one who’s making me miserable?” I said, my voice sounded cold.

                “I am selfish. You know that. I just don’t want you anymore.” He hardened his voice and said.

                “Even though you are my world to me?”

                He paused, a few drops of tears escaped down his cheek.

                “Do you know that you are the reason why I smile? The reason I laugh. The reason I had finally found to wake up every morning. The reason to run around chasing and catching little puppies just because you like them. The reason for me to even breathe.” My own tears rolled down my cheeks.

                “Why are you leaving when you’re the centre of my world? Why hurt yourself and me? Why make me cry? Why choose unhappiness? Yo Seob ah, why?”

                The dam behind our eyes broke. For a long time I stood there watching and listening him cry while my own tears dropped one after another. I watched how he tried to wipe his tears away with his free hand but his attempt was futile. More tears just came rolling down.

                “Jun Hyung ah, please be happy.” He mumbled, his voice was surprisingly calm.

                “Without you, I can’t.” I said. Because the sun in my world rise and set because of you. You’re the angel that brings spring and laughter into my world.

                “You can, you must and you will.”

                I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say. There were thousands of words I wanted to shout and yell to him but nothing came out of my mouth.

                “Jun Hyung ah.” Yo Seob said sitting up straight on his bench and smiled valiantly to the sky and sun. From opposite I could see his face was wet with tears.

                “I’m glad we had this talk today. I’ll be back in two days time. When I get back, I’ll smile at you like nothing happen. I will talk and laugh like I always do. We have a concert coming up. We’ll see each other every day. Let’s be friends and work hard together alright?” he said, his voice was calm and gentle though tears continued to run down his cheeks.

                I on the other hand was defeated. I wanted to punch something and scream and shout but all I could do was to stand there like a stupid wooden block.

                “Promise me Jun Hyung. Promise you’ll be happy and we can still be friends. Promise me you will move on without me. Promise me to take back your heart from me.”

                I opened my mouth but I couldn’t find my voice to defy him.

                “Please, promise me.” he whispered. The world suddenly dimmed around me and my visions blurred. I bit my lip and clenched my fist tight. I grit my teeth from shouting and screaming into the phone. I fist my mouth to stop myself from crying.

               "Jun Hyung ah," he continued to say when I didn't reply. "You have to promise me this. Please." he said, his voice cracked. I suddenly felt so tired. I was angry at him and myself. I was angry at my stupid tears that won't stop falling. I was angry at life and fate. I was angry because there wasn't anything I can do. I was angry for being so powerless. I was angry with myself for being unable to love the one I want to love the most. I was sad, tired, frustrated and angry. I wanted to throw tantrums like a kid or kick and punch like a psyco but all I did was to stand there, bitter tears rolling down one after another.

                “I promise.” I finally whispered brokenly. And with that, he once again hung up on me.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry for making the two of them cry.... But I love some drama... Hope you all enjoyed this and be patient for the next chappie!

I really need to get my assignment started... Enjoy~