Letter Forty-Nine—Baekhyun

Paper Airplanes

Dear Soulmate,

 

It’s September 30th.

Minseok is the best person EVER. He was totally okay with me coming along, he didn’t blame Jongdae for being nervous on meeting him. He told us that he was also planning on asking his friend to come as well, but he his friend cancelled last moment.

He bought ME and Jongdae a pastry from a small little café. I kept telling him I was fine and that he should only get one for his soulmate, but he insisted, saying that, “I can’t let us get something and leave you out”. Jongdae told me to stop being so nice and polite, that it was creeping him out. That was good enough for me, I got a pastry. I finished it first, unsurprisingly.

I left the lovebirds alone about thirty minutes ago. I don’t know when they’re coming back. I want them to have a good time, so I really don’t care how long they take. I can take a bus home, anyway.

I’m sitting near the Han River right now, the one I mentioned. The weather’s been a little more on the colder side, it’s about 15 degrees Celsius, or about 59 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s generally warmer than that, but I think it’s going to be a bit of a harsher winter this year. We need it, the last few winters have been really warm.

I visited Shin-hye yesterday. Baek-beom took her home yesterday evening and she was crying. I mean, she stopped after my sister-in-law fed her. I’d be crying too if I didn’t eat. She kind of just lays there for the moment and stares at you. She has a little tuft of hair, I think I forgot to mention that. It’s a little black wisp on top of her head. It’s fun to touch because it’s so soft.

I’ve been studying a lot. I need to study, I did pretty bad on my last test. I don’t understand logarithms. It’s annoying. Are you good at math? You could totally tutor me if you respond. That sounded snarky, sorry!

I’ve just been a little irritable since Jongdae turned 18. It's annoying me that Jongdae gets a letter the second he turns eighteen and I’m getting nothing back. I’m guessing you’re younger than me, since most people respond to their paper airplanes as soon as they can.

I can’t help but have some paranoia that you’re one of those people who’s getting my airplanes but you aren’t responding because you’re with someone. Can you really blame me? I said I was okay with that, but honestly? It leaves a really, really acidic taste in my mouth when I think of my soulmate with someone else.

If you’re younger than me or dating someone, I just have to bide my time and wait for that little paper plane. Not by dating someone, but by sending you letters and hoping to God that you’re going to get them, or you are getting them.

That’s enough of that sappy, emotional crap. I’m sure you’re just younger than me. I can only hope that you’re younger than me.

I still want to say, ‘I love you’, but I STILL feel like it’s really soon for that. It hasn’t even been five months that I’ve been sending these. It feels sudden. I won’t say, ‘I love you’, until you say it’s okay. I don’t want to make you think like I’m a desperate person. I swear I’m not desperate, despite my lamenting about not receiving a letter fast enough.

I can see Jongdae and Minseok coming back. They looks cute. I’m going to send this real fast and join them again. Bye, Soulmate!

 

Love,

Byun Baekhyun