Letter Four—Chanyeol

Paper Airplanes

Dear Baekhyun,

 

Two pages, back to back. I was expecting the list to be like, half or a full page, but not two pages. I also can’t buy you the moon or have you become the supreme ruler of Fiji, so a few of the options are off the table. A couple of them though, I can manage.

I’d really like a new guitar for Christmas, but they’re super expensive. Even cheap ones you can get at Costco are at least $100. The one I got for my 13th birthday is a little small (who am I kidding—it’s way too small!) and it’s been abused greatly over the five years. It’s gone through many, MANY guitar lessons and transport on the train. I’ve had to replace the strings a few times. I broke one of them by twisting the knob for the wrong string.

But if you can’t afford it, I’m happy with absolutely anything you’d give me.

I’ll totally let you stay with me when you come. We have a guest room in my house and I don’t think my mom would be against it if I said my soulmate was coming down from Seoul to see me. Also, I don’t blame you for being nervous whether or not I’m a lunatic or something. I feel the same way, a little bit. For all I know, this could be a ploy or something, but you’re too honest to be a soul-killer.

Are you psychic? My friends are antsy to meet you. Junmyeon staying in Ulsan for all of December (his semester ended), Sehun always asks me about you and how you are, and Kyungsoo isn’t nearly as bummed out when I talk about you to him. Kyungsoo would be more than happy if you visit him, I’m sure of that. He’s a bit of the grump, but he enjoys company. He told me it gets very lonely in his room.

Yoora and my parents really want to meet you, too. I talk about you to them all the time and I think they’re just sick of me talking endlessly. They just want to meet you to see what all my fuss is about. But for real, they want to meet you.

School is hard, but don’t give up! Everyone has to go through it! ^^

I’d love to hear you play Wonderwall, even if it makes my ears bleed. It’s the effort that counts, you know? I could teach you, too. I wish I could start now, but I hate that we have to see each other in person before we give out social media. I know it’s just a standard, but I think it’s a good rule/standard to have in place. My mom told me a few days before my birthday that if I have out my social media or anything before we meet, we’d be cursed and I didn’t want to curse us. I’m not superstitious, but I would hate to have a curse on either one of us. Have you heard this superstition or is just my mom?

I think I forgot to mention this, but I put the photo of you in my phone case (I have one of those clear cases, I usually keep reminders in there). I had to cut Baek-beom out of there, so I hope it wasn’t an important photo. I’ve had people at school come up as ask me who you are and I proudly tell them you’re my soulmate. I’ve had people on more than one occasion that you’re very attractive. I can’t see why they think you’re so cute, you’re kind of ugly. (I’M KIDDING, YOU’RE SUPER CUTE!)

Christmas is in 19 days, I’m counting down the days,

 

Love,

 

Park Chanyeol