Letter Seventy-Three—Baekhyun

Paper Airplanes

Dear Soulmate,

 

It’s November 15th.

Jongdae and Minseok are officially dating now. Jongdae told me a few minutes ago and he looked like he was over the moon. You can say I wasn’t exactly surprised. Most soulmates who meet start dating within a month of meeting each other. Are we going to start dating after we meet, or will we wait? It depends on how close you live to me, really. It depends if you even want to be with me, too.

Some kid in my class is carrying all his letters he got from his soulmate yesterday. The kid could only make out his soulmates name, which is Lorenzo. He couldn’t read them because they were in Spanish or something like that. It’s a Latin language, I’m sure. There was a lot of ‘~’ over the ‘n’s.

He asked me what to do, since I was the first person in my class to be able send letters. He looked so frantic, it was adorable. I told him to respond as fast as he could, since he didn’t know how long those letters had been waiting for him to turn eighteen (his soulmates letters weren’t dated). And I recommended him to maybe learn Spanish, it’d be useful.

¿Hablas Español/Española? Es más fácil si hablas coreano, pero Google Translate también funcion (I had to use Google Translate for that, I hope you can understand it, if you speak Spanish).

I’m saving money just in case you live in like, Armenia or something. I have no idea if you live a million miles away, or if you’re my next-door neighbour. That’d be weird, since my next-door neighbour is a 39-year-old man who is happily married to his soulmate.

There was a soul-killing near my house a few days ago. Some girl killed her soulmate when she didn’t come home fast enough. I think some people just aren’t suited to be with their soulmates, which is sad. I hope we aren’t like that.

Mom told me to stop sending my letters for a day, which was absolute torture. I kind of like sending small, one letter letters to annoy you. I’m sure you’re going to be super overwhelmed when, what, eighty letters (I’ve lost track at this point) come flying into your house.

Shin-hye is growing fast, I can’t believe she’s almost two months now. I’ve already included a picture of her in previous letters, but she’s so much bigger now. That baby is growing fast. I think it’s surprising Baek-beom and my sister-in-law more than me.

Baek-beom already told me he is done having children. He looks tired every time I see him. He told me having children is mentally and physically draining. He told me horror stories of having to clean explosive diarrhea and getting up at two in the morning to feed Shin-hye.

I’m starting to get second thoughts of adopting a child with you now. Or we could get a surrogate, too. A surrogate is a lot more expensive, though. Anything could work if we really want to have a child when we meet. We never know what will happen between us. You could be a Shin-hye’s age for all I know.

I’m going to sleep now. I’m really tired.

 

Love,

Byun Baekhyun