Letter Eighty-Five—Baekhyun

Paper Airplanes

Dear Chanyeol,

 

It’s December 18th, at about 2:30 AM.

I’ve been delaying writing this letter because it’s going to be my last. Once I meet you, we can safely text each other and jack our Instagrams. I’m so scared now, I don’t know if you’ll like me as an actual individual, and only like me as the person who you’ve been sending letters to. I’ve never heard of that happening to anyone, but we’re always learning new things about the soulmate letters. Maybe we won’t even like texting, we’ll just keep sending the letters. I wouldn’t be opposed to that, but I feel like texting is just a lot more convenient.

My stomach keeps filling with butterflies every time I think that, ‘Hey! You’re meeting Park Chanyeol—your soulmate—in literally five hours!’ I can’t wait.

I’m fully packed, but I’m assuming you’ll let me use your washing machine if I beg hard enough. I have your gift in my bag with me, but you can’t see it until the 25th. No peeking in my luggage, or I’ll make your mom hide it for me. I can’t promise that I’ll won’t be looking for my gift, though.

My sister-in-law, I think, is actually the most excited for me, which surprised me. She told me that meeting your soulmate, who you have traveled far and wide to meet is the best feeling ever. Even though Baek-beom traveled to meet her, she still felt like she traveled across the country to meet him.

Baek-beom said it’s a very special feeling. He can’t describe it in full, since he gets teary-eyed, but he said it’s a lot like when you come home after a long trip. You just feel like you’ve accomplished so much and you’re ready to fall asleep, since you’re finally home. You can relax, kick back, and get back to routine. I’m ready to relax, kick back and meet you. I miss you and I haven’t even met you in real life yet.

I don’t mean to be cheesy, but if we kissed on New Year’s, I’d be a very happy soulmate. I know that’s when all soulmates choose to kiss, but I can see the appeal why. It’s fun and we’re starting a new year together as soulmates. That just made me super happy, thinking about that. Since you’re the king of Ulsan to me, you better give me a tour or two around Ulsan. Take me to your favourite coffee shop or your favourite spot in the city. I’m happy with either. Hell, if you take me to a Subway, I’m fine with that.

Jongdae is over the moon for me. He’s telling me that I’ll get that wave of bliss like he got when he first laid eyes on Minseok. He’s giving me normal best friend things, like ‘Don’t throw up when you see Chanyeol’ and ‘Don’t do anything weird’. I can’t promise that I won’t get sick though. From the way my stomach is dancing around right now, I’ll probably get sick.

I’m so glad you answered as soon as you could when you received my fleet of airplanes. I won’t deny, I was thoroughly convinced you weren’t ever going to respond to me, or I was actually going to have to wait a long time to even get a response back. It was a lot of nervous energy from me for those six months. But, once you sent your letter, it all went away. And being realistic here, you’ve only sent me five letters, but it feels like we’ve been talking for years. I feel like I’ve known you my whole life. Well, I’ve been born to fall in love with you, so that might be it.

I know I said I felt weird saying this, but I love you. I’m ready to see you and I want the clock to go faster so I can meet you sooner. I have to leave for the train station in a few minutes, and I’ll be on my way to see you, finally. I’m sure you feel the same way, since you literally went ahead and bought me a train ticket.

I’ll see you soon, Park Chanyeol.

My soulmate.

 

Love,

 

Byun Baekhyun