Letter Forty-Four—Baekhyun

Paper Airplanes

Dear Soulmate,

 

It’s September 27th.

BAEK-BEOM HAD HIS BABY GIRL! They’re thinking of naming her Shin-hye. She really does look like a Shin-hye, not a Ye-rin. I’m still bitter, I love that name. Her fingers are so, so small and she had ten little toes. She’s sleeping right now, I’m assuming. I know my sister-in-law is completely out of it, I would be too if I had to push out a watermelon out of my . Not that I have one.

I got home a few minutes ago from the hospital. Mom is still there with Baek-beom. I’m at home with Dad currently. He brought me home (I only have my Level Two Moped licence, I’m going to get my Level One General soon) but he’s going back in a few minutes. I’m not sure when my sister-in-law’s parents will show up, they live all the way in Ulsan. I’m sure they’re on their way.

Jongdae got a reply from Minseok almost immediately after sending his first paper airplane. They’re planning to meet up on the 30th, after his classes. Jongdae asked me to come, just in case something goes wrong, like him passing out from excitement. I’m sure he’ll be fine, but I also have the burning fear that he could be one of those soul-killers. He seems like a good person, though.

Minseok’s actually studying mathematics and music, not just music. Jongdae let me read his most recent letter and Minseok had a whole paragraph explaining how music and math are intertwined. No wonder I quit music as fast as I could. That overachiever is the complete opposite to Jongdae, it’s totally HILARIOUS.

I really can’t wait to tell Minseok that Jongdae and I flushed our schoolwork down the toilet (did I already mention that story? I feel like I did). If I do, though, Jongdae will probably hit me hard enough to leave a mark (he’s bruised me before, on accident, of course).

Dad just left to go back to the hospital. I’m home alone now, time to throw a party.

My parents are super elated, Mom and Dad are practically glowing. Shin-hye is their first grandbaby. It’s not Baek-beom’s parents-in-law’s first grandchild, though. I think my sister-in-law’s sister has a few kids already, I’m not sure. I’ve only met her once at Baek-beom’s wedding. I haven’t really seen her since then and that was about five years ago.

Do you have any nieces or nephews?

From just seeing Shin-hye, I want a dozen nieces. I love her so, so much, I’m smiling while writing this. I’m going to be the uncle that won’t ever be able to say no to her, this is going to be bad. Just watch her make me go broke because she asks for a toy every time I’m out with her. Baek-beom is going to hate me.

I gotta study, I’ve been putting it off for too long, now. I have to get into university.

 

Love,

Byun Baekhyun.

 

P.S.: If you do have nieces and/or nephews, tell your brother/sister to look out. I’m going to be stealing them and taking them as my own.