Chapter 12

Completely Smitten

“I don’t want to tell you I told you he’s no good.”

 

“Did I tell you I want you here, Woo? Get away from me!”

 

She wanted to push him. She was sad being alone earlier so she decided to check out the cribs at the mall maybe if Jiyong has time she will just ask him if he will agree to have the one she likes. But Wooyoung was waiting outside her house. He wanted to have a talk.

 

Woo followed her even at the mall. She didn’t pay much attention to him. She doesn’t want to waste her energy arguing with him because at the end of the day she will be the loser. It was him who will look like a fool following her. It was a small price to pay compare to all the things that he did to her.

 

The first thing that she wanted to do is to eat when she reach the mall. She’s still craving for some Korean food. So she went to her favorite restaurant and she was surprised to see Jiyong with his girlfriend.

 

His girlfriend looks older than him but she carries herself well you can’t underestimate her beauty. She has smooth skin, sophisticated, and oozing appeal. Dara would bet all of her savings the woman was a gym buff, she could tell by the firm muscles on her arms.

 

Even though Dara was younger than her she can’t help but feel insecure. She gains weight and no firmness. It was like her body was surrounded of fats.  But that’s not the point. The point is Jiyong deceived her.

 

She never enquires him to promise anything. It was him who gives it to her. He already had a girlfriend. What will be Kahi’s reaction if she learns that Jiyong offered her marriage? Was it even for real? Maybe he did not even mean it.

 

It was only Jiyong who knows why he offered her a marriage. Maybe it was one of his idealistic crappy ideas. Before this day she admires his unwavering reasoning. He said he needed to study the business he wishes to build, that the business needs to be close to his heart.

 

She thought that in this world it’s rare to find someone who put what the hearts dictates first. Jiyong was pure. Jiyong was great. He was the epitome of a great man. How wrong was she, he was a jerk. He was garden variety jerk. Dara thought he was different maybe it was what she wants to believe.

 

Good thing that Wooyoung was with her in the mall. He knows his cue when to put his arm to her shoulder even though she has the urge to push him too. Her pride is screaming at her. But now that Jiyong and his girlfriend are out of her sight she can’t bear Wooyoung’s presence. Maybe because of what happen he was thinking that he has the right to act that he was better.

 

“Hey, calm down. I’m here. I won’t leave you, Dara. I’m not an enemy. Let me do this, okay? I just want to be here for you. I owe you that.”

 

“You have a motive to shut up.”

 

“I do like you, I love you. You don’t have to think about it now. For now allow me to be a friend even just for today. You deserved it. No strings attached.”

 

“Don’t criticize Jiyong,” she said even though she knows that he deserves it. “He didn’t do anything wrong to you.”

 

“If that’s what you want, sure.”

 

“I hope you won’t insist that you are better than him. We both know you aren’t you’ll be ashamed.”

He looks guilty. “I understand. I’m sorry.”

 

She nodded.  They convoy to her house. Her desire to look for a crib went off. What she wants to do is to curl up to her bed alone. Woo can do anything he wants in her living room she don’t care. She didn’t ask him to be there he only insist.

 

And when she was inside her room she didn’t able to control her tears. She doesn’t know what to think. Maybe she was born to be unlucky in love. She wants these things to stop. Maybe the pain that she endure is enough already. She couldn’t take it anymore.

 

 

“What do you want?” she said downhearted. Jiyong came to her house when she was about to leave. She didn’t try to look at him. She can’t take that those eyes was staring at another girl.

 

“Well, you said you wanted to buy a crib.”

 

“I will buy a crib. Alone.”

 

“What is your problem, Dara? Why are you acting up?”

 

She was amazed with his question. So it was her who’s acting up. What did he expect her to do? Smile at him and act like nothing is wrong that everything is back to normal? The truth is he deceived her. Why he was acting so casual? He is pretending to be innocent of a crime she caught him doing red-handed.

 

“I’m busy. I’ve got something to do in the studio. Why don’t you hang out with your girlfriend, Ji? Maybe she misses your company,” she said sarcastically.

 

“Oh, so that’s why you’re pretending to be mad. Put the blame on me, sure. That’s very mature thing to do. And wise, too.”

 

“Don’t turn the table on me, Ji”

 

“No. I don’t. It only happens that I know your boyfriend sleep here. I came here this morning. I saw him here. You don’t have the right to get mad at me, Dara, we’re both fooling around.”

 

She wants to give him applause. He was so good clearing his conscience. Because he thought Wooyoung was her boyfriend he considers that they are quits. Maybe it’s good that he doesn’t know the truth so she can save her pride. She won’t look like a loser.

 

“Like what you have said I have a boyfriend and I have someone to accompany me. You can leave now.”

 

“I’m not going to let your boyfriend to choose my baby’s crib.”

 

“Oh, yeah, the good father bit. Cool.” She walks past him. She was hurt by his words. It’s sad because she admires him for months and suddenly they became like this. She was surprised, regretful and disappointed at the same time. But she can’t do anything. He decided to show his true color.

 

He grabbed her arms.” Don’t do this to me, Dara. I don’t like your attitude.”

 

“Well, I don’t like your attitude either, !” she abruptly hold her forehead. She’s dizzy with their exchange of words. They went inside the house. He get her water to drink. “Have you had your breakfast yet?”

 

“What is it to you?”

 

“You’re carrying my baby. Now I don’t care if you’re on a diet to look good in the eyes of your boyfriend you are carrying my baby. When you don’t have breakfast, my baby doesn’t have breakfast.”

 

“I’m eating later. I’m not hungry.”

 

“But my baby probably is. What type of guy is your boyfriend, Dara? He didn’t even make you breakfast. What, he just checked the gas meter and left?”

 

Her hands automatically reach his face. She can’t take those words from him. “How dare you!”

 

“I’m sorry,” he said holding his face.

 

Why can’t you say “sorry”for everything you’ve done and promise me you’re going to leave Kahi, and maybe you can start learning to love me? I’m younger, we are going to have a baby and we share same passions. Ji… God, I miss you. I don’t even know why. I loved Wooyoung for so long and then one night you crept your way to my life and now I’m miserable once again.

 

She wanted to cry. It’s so hard to miss someone within your grasp yet so far. It’s so hard to reach him. If only throwing her pride can save them she did it already. But she can’t do anything now to fix their situation. She might as well just stick with her pride. It was all she had anyway.

 

She didn’t talk. He went to the kitchen. She followed after a while. He was cooking breakfast. Again she wants to cry. It’s only natural to think that he won’t always be there to take care of her. They have their own life. The only consolation that she had is they have a baby. She would take good care of their baby. It wasn’t born yet but she already loves the baby so much.

 

Time will come that Jiyong will have his own family. She and her child will slowly going to lose a big part of him. That’s what usually happens. His visits to their child will be lessening. Maybe he will only be there in special occasions but he would always, always come home to Kahi or whoever he was going to marry.

 

He nodded when he look at her.” Bacon, egg, pancakes. Chocolate or strawberry?”

 

“Plain.” She almost whisper.

 

“Do you want sausages?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you happy with Wooyoung?”

 

“W-what?”

 

He turns his back and makes her pancake. “I said are you happy with Wooyoung. What does that guy have? He was your ex, right? Why did you part ways? And why did he come back?”

 

“Why are you asking? Is Kahi your longtime girlfriend? Why did you offer me marriage when you already have a girlfriend?”

 

“I asked first.”

 

“Just forget it.”

She settles in the counter. And he serves her breakfast. Her attention is on the food she didn’t look at Jiyong. She doesn’t want to memorize his eyes. She did not want too long to see those incredible eyes.  . I am being emotional.

 

“He must be some guy.”

 

She let out a sigh.” I don’t want to talk about him. I’m going now. I have work. I have something to do.”

 

“I can go with you and after that we can buy a crib.”

 

“No. You buy the crib.”

 

“But – “

 

“You choose the crib.” She gets up. “And I would need my key back.”

 

And he gave it to her. He holds her hand tight when he put the key to her palm. She doesn’t know what it means. Probably nothing. She doesn’t need to give meaning to everything that he does. A simple fact remains – he had a girlfriend. They spend one drunken night together. Nothing good would come of that, except their baby.

 

Jiyong take his leave first. She wipe the tears that starting to fall from her eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------

Note: Maybe some of you are thinking that I already abandon this story no you will read the end of this story I'm going to finish this. To make up for a long hiatus I'll update three chapters today.