Comfort

Finding Home

Jonghyun woke up two hours later from a nightmare. He slept on his stomach from years of habbit, and as a result, when he pushed himself up so effortlessly, and leaned back on his knees, Minho, Key, and Taemin, who had just entered the room, looked at him with surprise in their eyes. He looked down at them, just as surprised. He always had trouble remembering where he was when he first woke up, and the people he vaguely recognized scared him. Upon realizing his distance from the ground, however, he forgot all about them and gripped the guard rail, his eyes wide. Minho approached him slowly, leaning against the rail and touching his hand softly.

"Jonghyun?" He said softly. Jonghyun closed his eyes and thought for a moment. He'd already been caught, and brought to a boys home. This was his roommate, and this was his bed. He wasn't going to fall, like he fell from the tree one time. He was safe. But he didn't open his eyes. "You're afraid of heights?"

"Y-yah..a bit." He said, taking slow, deep breaths. Minho nodded sympathetically, though the elder boy couldn't see it.

"Lay back down, ok? You're not going to fall." Minho said softly. Jonghyun opened his eyes and found himself doing as he was told, and Minho pulled the thick blanket back over him. "Are you cold? You're shaking."

"Aniyo. Thank you though. I..I'll be fine." He said. Minho nodded and smiled at him kindly. There was a creaking sound and Jonghyun jolted up, only to see the door closing. He was alone with Minho.

"Shh, calm down." Minho said. "Key and Taemin had to go make their rounds. They'll be back later."

"Alright." Jonghyun said, nodding. He pressed himself down into the mattress, but kept his face toward Minho, who still hadn't moved.

Suddenly, the younger boy reached over the rail, his height and armspan impressing Jonghyun greatly, and he ran his fingers through the elder's hair. Jonghyun found his body relaxing rapidly, and his trembling slowing.

"Wh-what are you doing?" Jonghyun asked, trying to keep his eyes from closing.

"Key does this when Taemin can't sleep. He did this to me, a few times too. When the nightmares were really bad." Minho explained. "I can't say why, because I don't know, but it always helps me. So, I'm trying to help you."

"I don't know why you're so afraid of not being loved. Everyone here must really care for you a lot." Jonghyun said. "I've never met someone as kind as you seem to be."

"I get along well with everyone, and Key and Taemin have said they love me, but for the most part, I think people are only kind to me because I'm kind to them, and they don't want to be rude." Minho said. "I'm okay with that, for now. But eventually, I want someone to love me for even the bad parts. For when I keep them up at night, and when I have a bad day."

"Someone will love you for everything, someday. I know they will. But, having a wife won't be the same as having a mother or father. You know that, right?" Jonghyun said. Minho glanced down at the floor.

"I..I don't want a wife. I'm like Taemin and Key." Minho admitted. "But, I don't want my lover to try to take a parents place. I just want someone to love me. And I want it so badly, that I've done some stupid things for people who lied to me, and claimed to love me. I'm trying to get better, but you don't always have a say in who you love, or who loves you."

"I wouldn't know." Jonghyun mumbled softly, starting to fall asleep. "No one has loved me since my mother died."

"Someone will love you, Jonghyun. Just wait." Minho said, smiling. Jonghyun looked at him with insecure eyes and nodded slowly, before his eyes closed and he fell into the most peaceful sleep he could remember in a long time.