Meltdowns

Finding Home

 

Jonghyun stayed nearly silent, laying in bed with Minho, his eyes clearly focused on things the other's in the room could not see. Minho was worried about him, especially when it took a few tries to get his attention to tell him Key had managed to get him some food. He sat up slowly, looking like he had no idea what Minho was talking about, and took the cereal bar with some slight confusion before eating it slowly.
 
"Jjong, you ok?" Key asked.
 
Jonghyun nodded slowly, looking uncomfortable. He wanted to be left alone. Or to sleep. That would be nice. He finished the cereal bar and laid back down, closing his eyes and facing toward the wall. Minho placed a hand on him and Jonghyun jumped. Minho raised a brow at him, and waited to see what he would do, seeing how his hand was still resting against the boys side. Jonghyun didn't move or make a sound for a while, and Minho was growing concerned. He started rubbing Jonghyun's side, which seemed to startle the other boy enough to make him look at Minho. His eyes were confused again, and Minho swallowed hard.
 
"Hey, come on. I think Onew said he was taking you shopping today." Minho said.
 
"What?" Jonghyun said, tilting his head. Key grabbed Minho's hand and pulled, indicating that he wanted Minho to follow him. Taemin was already tucked under his side.
 
"I'll be right back, ok?" Minho said. Jonghyun nodded and laid back down while Minho followed Key out into the hall.
 
"He's not sick." Key said. "Not physically. But he's having a lot of trouble adjusting. He's been alone for 3 years, then he suddenly gets thrown in with all these people, it's too much."
 
"Well, what can we really do?" Minho said. Key sighed.
 
"I don't know." He said. Taemin puffed out his cheeks and scrunched up his nose.
 
"We could talk to Jinki." He said after a few seconds of looking silly.
 
"Taemin, you know he can only do one every two months, and people have been trying to adopt you as it is." Key said. "You can't take that chance."
 
"Key, do you remember how you told me when I was little that if I act like a brat, no one will want to adopt me?" Taemin said. "I can still be a brat."
 
Key and Minho were silent following that statement. Minho looked at Taemin suddenly, a thought passing through his mind.
 
"How do we know if he would do well with Onew? Or if he'll be ok after we come?" Minho asked. Taemin rolled his eyes.
 
"He tried really hard to make Key like him on the first day, and every time he's nervous he looks for you." Taemin said. "And, even though he and I don't really talk, I can tell he sees me like a little brother. He would be bothered if something were to happen to me."
 
"We all would, Minnie, but-" Key started.
 
"Ask him." Taemin cut him off. Key looked surprised. "Ask him if he would miss us. I'll go get Jinki."
 
Taemin turned and started off down the hall before either of his elder's could object. Minho sighed and turned around to go back into the room. Jonghyun was sitting up on the bed at that point, still looking a bit lost, but clearly more aware of the world around him, as though he had just woken up. Minho went over to the bed and sat beside him, and he looked up at Minho with sincere eyes.
 
"I'm sorry." He said. "I don't know what happened."
 
"It's ok. Are you feeling better now?" Minho asked. Jonghyun blinked slowly and nodded. Minho extended an arm to him and he slid into it effortlessly. "Hey, Jjong?"
 
"Hmm?" He looked up at Minho.
 
"Would you miss us if we were separated?" Minho asked. "Key and Taemin? And...me?"
 
Jonghyun sat quietly for a few minutes, mulling on the idea, before slowly nodding. He didn't want to be without them now. Maybe simply because they were the first ones who had been nice to him since he lost his mother, but he didn't think that was all of it. He was so attached, especially to Minho, now. They'd taken away the loneliness, and shown him he didn't have to be afraid of everything, but it was still ok to be afraid. And he'd only been there for two days. He was all mixed up inside his head, stressing out over many things, and trying to figure out who he was, under the fears and doubts, the masks, the insecurities. But one thing he was certain of, he never wanted to be alone like that again. He wanted Minho, the one who always made things better, Key, the bossy umma, and Taemin, the cute little baby, to be in his life for as long as possible. He suddenly hugged Minho, surprising the boy in question, Key, and the two males who had just entered the room.
 
"Woah." Minho said, wrapping his arms around his elder. "What's wrong?"
 
"Are you going somewhere?" Jonghyun asked. Minho blinked in surprise. "Please, don't leave. I'm sorry. I'll sleep in my bed tonight. I won't bother you so much. I-"
 
"Woah, woah!" Minho said, causing Jonghyun's heart to sink as he stopped pleading. It was too late, they were leaving. He pulled out of Minho's arms. "Jonghyun, I don't mind you sleeping in my bed. And you're not a bother. I don't do skinship with anyone else. I never have. I like having you around."
 
"Then why are you leaving?" He asked, his throat tight.
 
"I'm not. I just wondered if you would miss us. If you wanted us around." Minho said. "I wondered if we mattered to you."
 
"Of course you do." Jonghyun whispered. Minho pulled the shorter boy against him again.
 
"Calm down. We're not going anywhere." Minho said softly. Jonghyun buried his face silently, embarrassed by his clinginess.
 
"What's going on here?" Onew asked. Key sighed.
 
"We need to talk to you." Key said, glancing over at Minho, who currently had a lapful of the eldest, and then Taemin, who's face plainly said he had done enough talking. "Well...I need to talk to you."
 
"Come with me." Onew said, leading Key down the hall to his office. "Taemin said I should take Jonghyun. I hadn't originally planned to take him on, but seeing as Minho would probably hate me forever for letting the first nice guy he's met go completely insane, and the fact that...well, quite frankly, I like the kid too much to see him go through this, I'm inclined to agree with Taemin."
 
"I'm just worried, because-" Key started.
 
"No one can adopt Taemin without my say-so. And if Taemin doesn't say to me that he wants to go, then he won't go. It's that simple." Onew said. "It's the same courtesy I extend to all of you boys."
 
"I know.." Key shook his head.
 
"Listen to me. It's only a two month wait." Onew said.
 
"Yeah, after you get approved - which is taking forever, mind you." Key said. Onew laughed.
 
"I got the approval last night. I was going to fill out the paperwork today." He said. "Literally, two months."Maybe even less time, because I work with you guys, and...at the risk of making you guys sound like pets, we like to adopt you guys out in pairs at the very least. That way you have someone around who knows what you've been through, and you can help each other adjust."
 
"So you might be able to take Taemin sooner?" Key asked. Onew nodded. "How much sooner?"
 
"Could be two weeks, if Jonghyun is willing as well. That's the tricky part - once I have him, I need to do what's best for him. If that means keeping him isolated, then I have to do that." Onew said. "Based on his reaction to the mere thought of being away from Minho, earlier, though..I don't see it being a problem."
 
"Well, you have to make sure." Key said.
 
"I can't. Taemin's the one who's supposed to be getting the spot, so it's Taemin's call, and he's standing firm. You just better hope you never upset him too much." Onew said, sighing and sitting down at his desk.
 
"You wouldn't...you wouldn't leave me here." Key said.
 
"I wouldn't want to, but if I had to..yes." Onew said. Key sat down heavily, looking ready to cry. Onew got up slowly and moved closer to the other boy. "You know I would still see you every day."
 
"It's not the same." Key said. "I don't wanna be here anymore. I want to be somewhere where I can take a shower and not worry about who's staring at me. I want to have some quiet sometimes. I want to have a family again, Ap-Jinki."
 
"...I know." He said, hugging Key to him. "Talk to Jonghyun. That's all I can say. I'm going to file the paperwork now, and then sign you guys out. We're over-due for shopping in your room."
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case anyone missed the memo, I did intend for Jonghyun's character to be a bit...unstable.