English Teacher

SNSD - Royal one-shots

 

*NOTE: BLUE = English

 

„O-o-oh! Eunjung-ah!“ a really pretty long-haired girl literally jumped on her chair.

“What?” a girl with short black hair, siting right next to her asked, obviously a bit irritated.

“y girl three tables away!”

“Aigoo…” Eunjung looked around the restauraunt before she finally found the table. “The one in a red dress?” she asked.

“Nooo! The korean girl! The one with the black hat!”

“Can you please keep your voice low?”

“Why, we’re in America, nobody understands us. Now look.”

Eunjung looked at two korean girls sitting nearby. “Hyomin, you’re crazy,” she stated and looked away.

“The shorter one is so damn cuuuute,” Hyomin said.

“Mhmmm…” Eunjung just mumbled. She really just wanted to drink her coffee and enjoy the sun. Why does her best friend has to be so girl crazy? Even here, during their summer holiday in California? With an unamused look she watched Hyomin stand up.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” she said and she really did. Of course she had to go around the table with the two korean girls. And she also obviously slowed down while she was passing around. And she did the same on her way back to Eunjung. She look displeased though.

“What happened?” Eunjung asked, not really interested in the answer. “The other girl is her lover or what?”

“They speak English,” Hyomin explained, whining. “I don’t know any English… At all.”

Eunjung just sighed. “Stupid…”

 

 

“This girl.”

“This girl.”

“Is weird.”

“Is weird.”

“This girl is weird.”

“This girl is weird.”

“Good, now tell me what it means.”

“Uhmm… I don’t know.”

“Sunny!!”

“What? How am I supposed to know?” the shorted girl switched from English to Korean immediately.

“I have been teaching you English eversince you came to US and you still know nothing! It’s been a month and you don’t know what a simple sentece like that means?”

“So what does it mean, Sooyoung, huh?” Sunny scoffed.

“It means that the girl is odd.”

“Oh, you mean the one that keeps staring at us and tried to overhear our conversation when she went to the toilet?”

“Yeah, that one… But that’s not the point, she just gave me the idea of the sentence. The point is you still don’t understand any English.”

“I’m gonna try harder,” Sunny promised with a sigh.

“You should,” Sooyoung nodded with a gentle smile on her face. She just couldn’t be angry at this girl… At the girl she loves…

 

 

“How do you say your eyes are beautiful in English?” Hyomin asked as she looked into the English converstaion book in her hand.

“I don’t know and I doubt you’re gonna find it in that book of yours,” Eunjung yawned. “It says conversation for beginners, I think flirting is for advanced speakers only. You’re probably gonna find there only sentence like: ‘Do you have any luggage to check in?’”

Hyomin ignored her friend and tried to look for something useful in the book. “Where… is the nearest hospital?” she read with a surprisingly good accent and frowned. “I don’t wanna start conversation like that.”

Eunjung sighed. “Do you even know where to find her? She and the other girl left like half an hour ago.”

“Of course I know,” Hyomin smiled proudly. “I was paying attention when she was leaving and she went to the hotel across the street.”

“With her girlfriend,” Eunjung added, bored.

“You don’t know that!” Hyomin protested immediately. “Look! It’s her! She’s going out and she’s alone now!” she suddenly screamed.

“Oh gee… Go…” Eunjung just said. “I’ll pay our bill here and we’ll meet in our hotel room, kay?”

“Thanks, unnie!”

Eunjung just sighed again as she watched Hyomin run away…

 

 

 

“H-hello,” Hyomin said as she she approached the short girl. Her cheeks were red and she was on the verge of fainting. Her legs were shaking like crazy.

“H-hi…” Sunny answered, stuttering a bit as well. Hyomin died a little inside.

“Can I go with you?”

Sunny had no idea what Hyomin just said. So she just gave her a weird look and nodded. “Yes yes.”

“My name is Hyomin,” Hyomin said as she followed Sunny. “What’ your… name?”

“Name?” Sunny asked, undure and she pointed at herself.

“Yes,” Hyomin nodded, happy.

“Oh, Sunny.”

“Sunny?” Hyomin repeated.

“You… why… go… me?” Sunny asked.

Hyomin didn’t understand a word. Well, she understood those words, but she had no idea what the sentence is supposed to mean.

“I’m from Seoul. I’m on vacation,” she said another random sentence she just read a few moment ago in her conversation book. She pronounced it surprisingly well.

Well, Sunny didn't understand anything except for the ‘Seoul’ word. “Uhhh… Yes yes.”

“Where is you living?” Hyomin asked. She followed Sunny into a pharmacy.

“Aigoo, this girl is really weird, why is she following me?” Sunny mumbled quietly.

Hyomin heard her. “You speak Korean?” she asked, obviously surprised.

“You speak Korean?” Sunny asked. “Then why did you speak English?”

“I thought you don’t know Korean, since I overheard your conversation with your korean friend and you spoke English!” Hyomin explained.

“She’s my English teacher!”

They looked at each other. And ended up laughing. “Hahaha, we’re so stupid,” Sunny laughed.

“I know! Anyways, why are we in a pharmacy shop?”

“Oh, I need a bon char.”

“Why?” Hyomin frowned.

“Uh, my roommate… uh, my English teacher is a huge shikshin and well… she ate something bad. She has a horrible diarrhea.”

“For real? Poor girl…”

“I know,” Sunny chuckled. Hyomin did as well and they ended up laughing again.

“Hahaha… Hey, listen, don’t you wanna hang out sometimes?”

“Sure…”

 

 

“Ouchhhh! Sunkyuuuu! What took you so loooong?” Sooyoung whined. She was in a bathroom, clasping onto her stomach tightly.

“I’m here, I’m here… Here you go,” Sunny opened the door a bit and gave Sooyoung the small box with bon char.

“Thanks…” Sooyoung mumbled faintly.

“I’ve met a really awesome girl!” Sunny jumped out of joy.

“The heck?” Sooyoung asked, shocked.

“Yeah, the one you called weird! I’ve met her again and we’re going on a date the day after tomorrow!”

Sooyoung didn’t answer. But she came out of the bathroom with a weird look on her face. Sunny couldn’t tell if it’s because of the diarrhea or not…

“Date?” Sooyoung barked.

“Uhhh, yes? Problem?”

“Let’s go, we’ll talk about it outside,” Sooyoung demanded as she grabbed Sunny’s hand.

“Hey, it’s not like I need your permission to date! Hey!” Sunny tried to protest, but Sooyoung already dragged her out…

 

 

They were sitting on a swings. Oh how much Sunny loved swings. “So what do you think?” Sunny asked, making the swing fly high.

“I think… she sounds okay,” Sooyoung said, obviously sad.

“You sound weird,” Sunny said suspicious, and slowed down.

“Well, she should be okay according to your words,” Sooyoung looked at the shorter girl, swinging only a little bit. “Here, have some coke,” she handed Sunny a can with cola.

Sunny just nodded and opened it before she took a sip. She loved cola in cans. It may be weird, but she liked the taste of aluminium. Sooyoung just smiled at her content expression and opened her can as well.

“But, really, what is it?”

“It’s… nothing…” Sooyoung sighed. She was biting her lower lip, depressed. But what can she do? Well, she can fight… And that’s exactly what she’s gonna do…

 

 

The following day, Sooyoung excused herself. She told Sunny she wants to visit a friend. So Sunny took her time to go shopping, because “she needs to look good tomorrow on the date”.

But Sooyoung wanted to make sure Sunny will cancel it.

She spent the entire day shopping as well, but she didn’t buy any clothes. She bought some baloons, litres of coke in can, tons of an unhealthy food, few videogames and a new Nintendo DS.

When she returned back to hers and Sunny’s room, she decorated it nicely. Then she took out the Nintendo and… a ring. She attached it to the ribbon that she then put around the Nintendo. She smiled, confident about what she just did.

Suddenly, her cellphone rang.

She subconsciously smiled as she spotted Sunny’s name at the screen.

“Yeah?”

“Sooyoungieeee… I need your help, do you have time?” Sunny said, her voice full of aegyo.

“What do you need, Sunkyu?” Sooyoung asked, sweetly.

“Where are you? Could you pick me up? I’ve missed the last bus… I’m at the Starbucks in front of the university.”

“Gee…” Sooyoung rolled her eyes. “What are you doing there?”

“I’ve met Hyomin again… she’s so sweet… Sooyoung-ah, I… I think I fell in love,” Sunny admitted quietly.

Sooyoung gulped. She tried hard not to drop the phone on the floor.

“Sooyoung?”

“I-I’m sorry, gotta go.”

“Wait-!”

Too late. Sooyoung hung up. And ran away from the room…

 

 

“Geez, this is awful,” Sunny complained as she examined the content of her wallet. “Those taxi drivers are seriously dirty thiefs,” she shook her head. After Sooyoung mysteriously hung up, she was forced to take a cab. And that driver just shamelessly robbed her.

But at least she was in front of their hotel by now. She entered and took an elevator to the fifth floor.

She headed towards hers and Sooyoung’s hotel room. She slowly opened the door using a card. Why are the lights if Sooyoung isn’t here? She must really have left in a hurry... she thought at first.

But then she noticed all those decorations, the food and the coke… Her favorite… She frowned, thinking what the heck is the occasion and where the heck is Sooyoung?

Then she noticed the Nintando on the table. “What’s this beauty doing here?” she said with her eyes almost sparkling.

She picked it up and examined it. “Uh, what is… this?” Her eyes widened as she picked up the ring. It was a white gold and it looked super expensive. Sunny gulped. Suddenly it hit her. She put one and one together. That’s why Sooyoung kept acting so weird. That’s why…

“I’m sorry, Sooyoungie…”

 

 

Sunny was nervously examining herself in the mirror. She sighed. Today was the day of the date. But she felt weird. She couldn’t help but think about Sooyoung. That tall shikshin simply disappeared. She wasn’t even answering Sunny’s calls. She shook her head, trying to get rid of those thoughts. Sooyoung’s probably fine. No, she’s fine for sure.

She fixed her hair again and smiled a bit. She looked beautiful. And she knew it. She nodded a few times and went out.

 

 

When she arrived on the date to the restaurant, Hyomin was already there.

“Hi,” Sunny smiled.

“Hi, how have you been?”

“Except for troubles with my roommate, fine, you?”

“Yeah, me too… What troubles?”

“Ahh… Nothing important,” Sunny lied.

“Okay,” Hyomin just nodded.

They ordered food and chatted about casual stuffs, trying to get to know each other.

Sunny tried to have fun, but in the back of her mind, she was still thinking about Sooyoung. She wanted to try to call her even though she knew she won’t pick up. Hyomin probably noticed something’s wrong and Sunny’s not focused at all. But she didn’t say anything, sh just looked a bit sad.

They finished their food and went outside. “Look! Swings!” Sunny shriked in excitement when she noticed a playground.

Hyomin just chuckled. “Don’t you think you’re a bit too old for swings? It’s for kids younger than 12 years only.”

“So? I love swings,” Sunny stared at her. “Let’s go there.”

“Noo, I’m too old for that,” Hyomin whined.

“You can never get old for something like that, Hyomin,” Sunny shook her head. “But as you wish,” she said then and continued walking. Sooyoung would go with me immediately…

When they walked around a small non-stop store, Sunny stopped. “Let’s get something to drink,” she suggested.

“Here?” Hyomin asked, looking suspiciously at the shop.

True, the shop looked shabby, but it was already late at night, it was probably the last one opened.

“Yeah, why not,” Sunny said and entered. Hyomin followed her.

“So, what would you like to drink?”

“Do they have Coke in can?” Sunny wondered. Then she spotted her favorite drink and imediately went for it.

“Coke?” Hyomin frowned. “You know it!s really unhealthy, right? Especially at this hour?” she said.

“Yeah, but I like it,” Sunny shrugged.

“Ew,” Hyomin just said and bought herself only a water.

Sunny stared at her. Sooyoung would buy one of those as well…

“Two thirty,” the shop assistan said.

“Wow, that’s expensive,” Sunny mumbled in Korean, before she took out a few bills. “Hewe you aarh,” she said with a strong accent.

Hyomin giggled. “You’re cute when you speak English,” she said.

Sunny just smiled and nodded. Sooyoung would really scold me for pronouncing it badly…

She frowned. Why can’t she get her oout of her mind? This is really insane…

They walked outside and sat down on a bench.

“Sunny, what’s wrong, tell me honestly,” Hyomin suddenly said.

“I’m sorry, Hyomin,” Sunny breathed out. “I don’t think I can date you.”

 Hyomin sighed. “I thought so… I had this weird feeling the entire evening… You like someone else, right?”

“How do you know?” Sunny asked, surprised.

“It’s just… you seemed to be absent-minded most of the time, it was quite obvious.”

Sunny slowly nodded. “I’m sorry.”

Hyomin just smiled. “That’s okay, I understand…”

“But I want to be your friend! You don’t like swings and Coke, but I would still like to hang out with you sometimes.”

Hyomin laughed. “Sure… we can be friends.”

“But what am I supposed to do now?”

Sunny told ger new gained friend the entire story about her and Sooyoung. Hyomin was listening and nodding, sometimes asked when she didn’t understang something. She seemed like she got over the ‘break up’ already. Well, she’s always been girl crazy, she was used to break ups. She just thought Sunny wasn’t the one and let it go.

“Oh, I see…” Hyomin said as Sunny finished her story. “So you have no idea where she is right now, right?”

Sunny just shook her head. “Nope.”

“I see… So this is exactly what you’re going to do…”

 

 

Sooyoung was sitting on a beach, just absent-mindedly staring into the night. Her mind was blank, completely vanished, for the past 24 hours. Her phone beeped. Again. Probably another text from Sunny, asking where she is. She ignored it. But only a minute or so later, her phone beeped again. “What the…?” she frowned. Why would Sunny suddenly text so much?

She took out her cellphone and read the text.

‘Sooyoung, there’s something wrong with the fridge, I need your help here.’

“Huh?”

‘I don’t think all the ice should melt like that, it’s leaking like everywhere, any idea how to fix it?’

Sooyoung frowned. And just then, she got a third text.

‘CHOI SOOYOUNG! ALL THE FOOD IS DOOMED! EVERYTHING IS WET!’

“Doomed… food?” Sooyoung mumbled before she abruptly stood up and began to run for her life…

 

 

“You think this is going to work?” Sunny asked Hyomin as she send the last text. They were already in Sunny’s and Sooyoung’s hotel room.

“Well, if she really is like you described her, then yes.”

Sunny slowly nodded. “But what should I do now?”

“Uhh, first of all, I need to leave. And you should… probably defrost the fridge to make it believable.”

Sunny shook her head. “Not enough time. I’ll improvize. Now go… and thanks a lot,” she smiled, before briefly hugging Hyomin and escorting her to the door.

Hyomin just nodded and left.

Sunny looked around the apartment. She didn’t change anything nor clean up, so it looked exactly like yesterday, when Sooyoung decorated it. She looked at the ring and smiled, beforeshe slowly put it on her finger.

Just the the door opened and a tall girl bursten inside.

“Sooyoung!” Sunny shrieked, excited.

“Where’s the fridge! What about the food? Is it okay?” she quickly ran to the kitchen to check how bad it is.

She opened the fridge, examining it, but not really seeing what’s wrong.

“Sunny-yah, it looks fine,” she said then, frowning.

“Yeah…” Sunny whispered. “The fridge is… but I’m not,” she said and put her hand on Sooyoung’s shoulder.

Sooyoung automatically looked at the hand. Her eyes widened when she noticed the ring. She slowly reached Sunny’s hand and touched her.

“T-this…” she stuttered.

“Yeah…” Sunny just mumbled quietly.

Sooyoung grabbed her hand and turned around. “You’re wearing my ring,” she said in a disbelieve.”

“Yup,” Sunny nodded.

“Why?”

“Because…” Sunny took a deep breath. “Because, I would like to accept your proposal.”

“F-for real?” Sooyoung raised her eyebrows.

“Yeah… if you’re still willing to.”

“I-I am.”

“Then ask me.”

“Will you…” Sooyoung cleared and looked into Sunny’s eyes, still holding the latter’s hand. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

“Yes,” Sunny nodded, smiling brightly.

Sooyoung smiled as well and pulled Sunny closer.

They were still staring into each other’s eyes and Sooyoung looked like she just can’t bring herself to another step. Sunny rolled her eyes.

“Stupid,” she mumbled, before putting her hands around Sooyoung’s neck, pulling her closer and kissing her passionately.

“Uhhh….” Sooyoung was a bit taken aback even though she expected it. It took her a while to realize what’s going on. But she eventually closed her eyes and kissed Sunny back.

After they ran out of oxygen, they pulled away.

“By the way, what about Hyomin?” Sooyoung suddenly asked.

“You should thank her.”

“What? Why?”

“Just… do it. I’ll tell you later, now kiss me again.”

“Mhmm… okay.”

 

A/N: Short, I know. Inspirated by an old (1939) Czech movie Dobre Situovany Pan (literally "Well-situated man"). The movie was fun, but I didn't portray it so well in this one-shot, also probably because I changed the ending (In the movie "Sunny" ended up with "Hyomin", lol). And the fact I finished this fanfic at 2AM and totally tired, didn't really help either xD

Next one shot: ty (!!!) YulSic. Who's excited? :P