three.

Save Me, Save You

Sojung ended up dropping Hyunjung off outside the university campus, since that was where the only spare key to her apartment was.

"Thanks for everything, Sojung." Hyunjung said with a smile.

"It's nothing, just helping out a friend. If you ever find yourself in that situation again, call me." Sojung said before she pulled out a small card with her number and address on. "Text me later so I can put your number in my phone."

Hyunjung nodded. "You're too good to me, Sojung. See you later."

Hyunjung got out of the car and walked into the university campus, noticing the hushed whispers and worried stares of people who had seen her get out of Sojung's car. Hyunjung glanced back to see the black Mercedes drive away, and then someone grabbed her wrist.

"Did you really just get out of that car?!" Soobin's voice gasped.

Hyunjung looked up. "I told you I stayed with her last night."

"Was it scary? Did she show you her guns?!" Soobin started pulling Hyunjung along so they were walking again and not blocking the path.

"It wasn't scary. She had a gun, but it was just to--"

"SHE HAD A GUN?!" Soobin screamed.

"Be quiet!" Hyunjung hissed. "It was just for protection."

"Did she use it?" Soobin asked.

Hyunjung hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Someone was following us. She used it to scare them off. That was probably the gunshot you heard last night."

"You're getting involved in gang stuff, Hyunjung! It's not safe!" Soobin whined.

"I'll be fine. She was just helping me. I wouldn't have been safe last night if it wasn't for her. Anyway, shouldn't you be in class?" Hyunjung frowned.

Soobin gasped. "I'm late! Bye Hyunjung! Don't get involved in any gang things!"

And with that, Soobin ran off to her lecture.

Hyunjung went to get the spare key, then headed back to her apartment. She texted Sojung when she arrived, telling her that everything was okay and she was back in her apartment.

"That's good. Are you going to be working tonight?" Sojung texted back.

"yes, are you gonna be there?" Hyunjung texted.

"I have something to take care of first, but I'll be coming later on. I want to drive you home." Sojung texted back.

For some reason, Hyunjung felt her heart flutter at the fact Sojung seemed to be concerned about her.

"i literally walk home every night, i'll be fine" Hyunjung texted.

"I'm taking you home when you finish work. No arguments." Sojung texted back.

"fine, if it helps you sleep better at night" Hyunjung texted, laughing a little.

"Knowing that you're safe and well definitely helps me sleep better at night. See you later." Sojung texted.

After that, Hyunjung had an essay to write, so she did that then watched a movie before getting something to eat. Then she had a shower, and by the time she was done it was time to go to work. She put on her uniform, which was a black shirt with the bar's name on the back and her nametag on the front and some black jeans, then she headed off to work.

 

The bar was quiet that night. Hyunjung talked with a few of the locals about their days. Towards the last hour of her shift, Sojung came in.

"Sorry I'm late." She said. "I had some business with these Chinese girls that took longer than expected."

"It's fine. You didn't need to rush here for me anyway." Hyunjung said. "Work has been quiet. Can I get you anything?"

Sojung shook her head. "I'm alright. How are your studies going?"

"They're going well. We get a new assignment soon, I've heard it might be portraits. I'm not too good at portraits. I find them... Awkward." Hyunjung said.

Sojung tilted her head slightly. "Why awkward? I'm sure you're great at them."

"We have to paint someone and it takes forever. I just feel like I'm wasting the other person's time. And it has to be someone we don't know that well." Hyunjung said with a sigh.

"If you want, you can use me for your assignment." Sojung said.

"But aren't you like... Really busy?" Hyunjung frowned.

Sojung shrugged. "I can make time for you."

"Well... If you're really sure, then if it is a portrait assignment I'll let you know." Hyunjung said. "I know there's no point arguing with you, since you can't take no for an answer."

Sojung laughed. "I'm glad you're starting to know me well enough."

The rest of Hyunjung's shift went by quickly. Nobody came to the bar whilst Sojung was there, and Hyunjung thought that was probably because everyone knew who she was, but she was yet to see Sojung as some scary, powerful figure.

They left the bar together and got in Sojung's car. Hyunjung told Sojung where her apartment was and Sojung began to drive.

"Are you going home after this?" Hyunjung asked.

Sojung nodded. "I am. It's late. Did you want to come over?"

Hyunjung hesitated for a moment before nodding. "My roommate isn't going to be back for a while and I don't exactly like being by myself in the apartment. It's a little haunted."

"Haunted?" Sojung frowned. "By what?"

"Someone was murdered in the kitchen five years ago, sometimes we hear weird noises from there." Hyunjung said. "And my roommate had a plate thrown at her when she was in there once."

"Jeez... Well, I don't mind if you want to stay with me until she gets back. I wouldn't exactly want to stay there either by myself." Sojung laughed.

They arrived at Sojung's penthouse shortly after. Hyunjung ended up falling asleep as soon as she lay down on Sojung's comfy bed, whilst Sojung stayed up for another hour, talking to the guest she'd called in to her office.

"So, who are you hiring a bodyguard for?" The woman asked.

"Kim Hyunjung." Sojung said.

"Is she in any immediate danger?"

Sojung hesitated for a moment before speaking again.

"Yes."