one.

Save Me, Save You

Hyunjung's shift at Cosmic Bar, a bar in the center of Seoul, had just started. She was a bartender and occasionally a waitress on busy nights and was currently stood behind the bar. Hyunjung had been working at the bar for just over a year now, it was helping her to pay for rent and for her studies. By day, Hyunjung was a university student. She was studying fine art and was currently top of her classes. Things were going well for her.

Hyunjung greeted one of the locals as he came up to the bar to order a drink. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a group enter. She'd never seen them before. They were lead by a girl dressed in what looked like very expensive clothing. After Hyunjung had given the local his drink, she watched the group. They sat down and looked at the menu for a while. One of them was about to get up to go to the bar, but the girl shook her head and got up instead, strolling over to the bar.

"Hi, what can I get you?" Hyunjung asked.

The girl listed the names of a few drinks which Hyunjung began to make. When she was done, she put them down and the girl took out a stack of money from her pocket, putting it in front of Hyunjung.

"Keep the change." She said, before she took the drinks and returned to the group.

Hyunjung didn't know what to do. She stared at the stack of money, before quickly picking it up and counting it out. She put the required amount of money into the register before putting the rest in the tip jar. The bar was quiet that night, so it allowed Hyunjung to watch the group for a while. She couldn't really hear anything they were saying over loud male voices and background music.

Hyunjung could've happily stayed watching the group for her whole shift, when a familiar voice brought her back to reality.

"Hellooooo? Am I gonna get any service here?"

Hyunjung stood up straight and looked up.

"Soobin? What are you doing here?" Hyunjung frowned.

Soobin was one of Hyunjung's friends from university. They'd met on their first day and had stuck together ever since.

"I thought I'd come and check on you!" Soobin said. "Why were you watching those people-- Wait... That's Chu Sojung!" She gasped.

"Who?" Hyunjung asked, puzzled.

"How do you not know who she is?!" Soobin hissed. "She's a gangster! Her gang are literally terrifying! Why is she here? Did you talk to her?"

Hyunjung shrugged. "She doesn't seem that scary to me. She came to the bar to order drinks and left a ton of money."

"Her gang literally shot and killed like two people last week! You are NOT staying here tonight!" Soobin came round the back of the bar and started attempting to pull Hyunjung out.

"Get off me!" Hyunjung started trying to tug herself away from Soobin.

Their struggle went on for a minute, before someone pulled Hyunjung away with a hard tug.

" off, dollface." A voice said.

Soobin suddenly turned pale, her eyes widening.

"R-Right, sorry! W-Won't do it again! Bye, Hyunjung!" Soobin stuttered, stumbling over her own feet as she ran out of the bar.

The person turned Hyunjung to face her before letting go.

"Was she bothering you?"

It was Sojung. But Hyunjung still failed to see anything scary about her.

Hyunjung shook her head. "She was my friend just trying to get me out of work."

"Why'd she run off?" Sojung frowned. "She could've explained that."

"She said she was scared of you. That's why she wanted me out of here." Hyunjung said before she went and stood back at the bar. "Customers aren't supposed to be on the side of the bar, you know."

Sojung paused for a moment, before looking over at Hyunjung with a grin.

"I see." Sojung said, before she walked back over to the customer side of the bar. "Don't you know who I am?"

"I just found out from Soobin. But you're literally the least scary person I've ever seen." Hyunjung said, laughing a little.

"So you won't mind if I keep coming here? You won't freak out or anything?" Sojung asked.

Hyunjung shook her head. "Nope. As long as you don't cause any trouble, you're just another customer to me."

"Cool, thanks." Sojung said, before squinting at Hyunjung's name badge for a moment. "See you around, Hyunjung."

Sojung walked away from the bar and gestured for the group at the table to follow. They all got up and left the bar with Sojung.

The rest of Hyunjung's shift was uneventful.

 

When Hyunjung told Soobin about the rest of her encounter with Sojung, Soobin freaked out.

"You can't let her keep coming back! What if she brings a gun or something and shoots everyone? What if she starts dealing drugs from the bar? Hyunjung, this is a bad idea!" Soobin yelled as she paced around Hyunjung's small room.

"But she's not scary." Hyunjung frowned as she looked up at Soobin. "Just don't come to the bar when she's there?"

"What if you die?!" Soobin gasped.

"This is getting ridiculous..." Hyunjung sighed.

Soobin suddenly stopped pacing and took out her phone, typing a few things before handing her phone to Hyunjung.

"Read this!"

Hyunjung looked at the phone and began to read. It was an article about a gang.

"Two murders took place in the city of Seoul last week. But who were the people behind it? Yes, you read that right. People. Currently, there's an infamous gang taking over the city, not as big as other gangs, but almost just as powerful as them. They are lead by Chu Sojung, and some say that she was personally responsible for the deaths. However, due to lack of evidence, the police haven't been able to arrest her. People all over the city are being urged to stay safe, don't travel at night, and keep out of any gang involvement."

Hyunjung passed the phone back before shrugging. "I'm yet to feel scared."

"She's scary, Hyunjung. Don't get involved." Soobin said. "But anyway! Are you coming to the library? Dawon and Luda are there already."

"Sure, I need to get some work done anyway." Hyunjung said, before she got up and grabbed her laptop and her bag.

The two headed to the libary and Hyunjung didn't give Sojung another thought.