Recovery

Night shift

Sungmin has requested to be on duty at ICU nurse station in order  to look after his dear Dr Cho. So, Ryeowook was put in charge of level 3 nurse station. Understanding the situation, Ryeowook agreed to take over though he still prefer to work under Sungmin.

The strange thing was, Dr Cho remained unconcious for the next few days, making Sungmin wondered whether Kyuhyun woke up just for him, that Kyuhyun just needed to know that Sungmin was there to give him strength, or he was really dreaming. Every morning and night, Sungmin would wipe Kyuhyun's face, body, hands and feet, to make sure that his dear Dr Cho was clean before Sungmin went home to shower, catch a bit of sleep and cooked for his meals, before rushing back to the ICU floor. 

On the 7th night, Sungmin was surprised that while wiping Kyuhyun's hand and then wanted to rinse the towel, he couldn't lifted his hand, because it was held back! He looked at his hand, thinking that it got caught with one of the tubes, but no, it was gripped by Kyuhyun's long fingers! Surprised, he looked at Kyuhyun's face, hoping to see him regained consciousness. But his eyes were still closed. 

Sungmin moved closer and softly said "Kyuhyun? Wake up. I'm here" and he carefully lifted Kyuhyun's hand and kissed it. Kyuhyun clasped his hand and slowly opened his eyes. 

"Kyuhyun!!" Sungmin smile happily. He hope that Kyuhyun regain consciousness for good this time. "Can you see and hear me?" 

Kyuhyun nodded slowly. Sungmin removed his oxygen mask and check the monitor whether  Kyuhyun could breath normally. Sungmin fixed the oxygen tube instead, to Kyuhyun's peripheral nose so that oxygen supply was still there. 

"Sung... min..." Kyuhyun talked softly. From Kyuhyun's eyes, Sungmin could clearly see that Kyuhyun felt relieved that he could talk and see, as well as remembered who Sungmin was. 

"Are you thirsty? Want some water?" Sungmin asked gently. 

Kyuhyun nodded slowly, and his eyes followed where Sungmin went. Sungmin knew that at this stage, Kyuhyun cannot drink too much water as we would get choke, so Sungmin need to feed him using spoon. He came back with a cup of warm water and a spoon. Slowly, he lifted Kyuhyun's head and carefully feed him a spoon of water. Kyuhyun coughed a bit but managed to swallow it, and asked for more, which Sungmin gladly feed him. It was a good sign that Kyuhyun could swallow water, which means that his throat was clear. 

Sungmin was overwhelmingly happy that Kyuhyun could drink water. He started tearing, put down the cup, lifted Kyuhyun's head and embraced him. 

Sobbing, he said "I'm so glad that you are conscious, Kyuhyun. Thank you for holding on and wake up for me. And I'm so sorry for what I said before we parted. It was all my fault that all this happened". 

Kyuhyun shook his head and wanted to say something, but having difficulty talking. 

"No no, it's ok, don't force yourself to talk... " Sungmin said with understanding. He wiped his own tears and held Kyuhyun's hand again. "I won't leave you anymore ok? I promise you". And he kissed Kyuhyun's hand and smile at him. 

To Kyuhyun, that was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. Having Sungmin there, crying to seek forgiveness, holding and kissing his hand, and promising to stay together. So, he should thank the gangster for bringing them back together, shouldn't he? Hahaha, he smile because this would be a personal joke to him. He promised himself to get better and not to succumb to unconsciousness again. 

Sungmin smile happily when he saw the smile that Kyuhyun gave him. He gave Kyuhyun a thumbs up indicating that all would be ok from now. 

Kyuhyun got better in the following days. Dr Park monitored him daily, and after 3 days, Kyuhyun was transfered out of the ICU ward to a single ward at 3rd floor. Sungmin arranged to be transfered back to his old position and Ryeowook knew that he wanted to take care of Kyuhyun, so Ryeowook himself volunteered to oversee the rest of the patients and to be on the same duty as Sungmin. Sungmin couldn't thank him enough. 

And dear Dr Cho was getting pampered. He only wanted to eat food cooked or prepared by Sungmin, and rejected hospital food. 

Other than food, Dr Cho also requested for Sungmin only, to assist him in everything, unless Sungmin was off duty. And when Sungmin was off duty, Dr Cho would sleep and would wake up when Sungmin arrived. 

One night when Sungmin went to Kyuhyun ward at the start of his duty, the patient was not there. Sungmin thought that he might be in the bathroom, but he wasn't there either. Sungmin walked out and asked Sunny whether she saw Dr Cho leaving his ward, but a puzzled Sunny told him that she didn't noticed that Dr Cho went out of his ward. Sungmin became worried that Kyuhyun might think that he was ok to walk around, but in actual fact, he still couldn't breath properly and still need pain killers for his stabbed wound. 

Sungmin checked his phone. No messages from Kyuhyun. And he couldn't leave the nurse station as Sunny was changing shift and would leave as soon as Ryeowook arrived. Worried, he messaged Kyuhyun, hopefully that he carried his phone along. 

"Kyuhyun, where are you? You made me worried. Did you bring your oxygen mask and have you taken your painkillers?" 

He clicked sent, and waited for Kyuhyun to reply, and occupied his time checking his laptop on other patients' medications. 

"I'm here, and yes and yes" suddenly a voice sounded next to him. 

Surprised, Sungmin turned and looked up, and there he was, the missing patient, standing next to him with an amused face. "Kyuhyun!! You should at least messaged me where you are. You are not fit to walk around yet. I was so worried" Sungmin got up and held Kyuhyun's arm to guide him back to his ward. 

He stopped Sungmin from moving. "I'm fine. I can walk back myself, don't worry. And I just want to bring down my laptop from my room just now". 

Sungmin insisted to walk with Kyuhyun back to his ward "You could have ask me to take your laptop for you. And why do you need it? Do you mean you want to do work? You are not fully fit yet, Dr Cho, and you are still on hospitalisation leave". 

"Hmm, my boyfriend is getting naggy...." Kyuhyun while sitting on his bed. 

"I am just concern, and we all want to see you recover fully, so you need plenty of rest".

"I'm bored when you are not around, and clearing emails doesn't make my wound heals longer. I'll be sitting on the bed, not walking around, so don't worry too much!" Kyuhyun said sitting against his raised pillows, and continued "and now my dearest boyfriend, will you be serving dinner to your hungry boyfriend?". 

"Ok boyfriend, I feed you now" Sungmin said, laughing. He left the ward to bring in the food. 

While feeding the hungry doctor, suddenly the door to Kyuhyun's ward was open and a woman with high heels walked in "Kyu!!! You naughty boy! Why you never tell us? And why you never tell me, your own girlfriend??" 

Both Kyuhyun and Sungmin were surprised at the sudden intrusion and the noise level. Sungmin looked confuse but Kyuhyun's face turn sour. 

"Seohyun, what are you doing here?!"