Saint-Louis

Night shift

It has been 2 weeks since Kyuhyun left for France and Sungmin missed him terribly. It was terrible on the 1st week as Kyuhyun didn't had any WiFi connection but eventually he got himself a local data plan and has been calling Sungmin every night, or rather during his lunch break, as Paris was 7 hours behind South Korea. Sungmin was back to his night shift and he arranged to have his dinner around 9pm just in time when Kyuhyun called him. 

They had been intimate eversince that night when they made love for the first time, and Sungmin loved every moment of it. He could still recall the pain on his lower back the next morning when he woke up in Kyuhyun's arm. But lucky for him, his boyfriend is his very own Dr Cho, so the said doctor massage his lower back and prescribe the easiest medication he knew, which is painkillers!  So smart of Dr Cho. 

It was nearly 9pm and Sungmin logoff from his laptop and headed to the pantry to eat his dinner. He loved the feeling of hearing his phone ringing showing an overseas number, and picking up hearing his dear Dr Cho's voice everytime. But, however, his phone didn't ring and it was already 9.30pm. 

"Maybe there's an emergency and he probably hasn't had time to take a break yet" Sungmin told to himself. He got slightly disappointed though but reminded himself that Kyuhyun is a doctor after all. 

It was indeed a busy day at Hôpital Saint-Louis, at 1 Avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France, in the 10th arrondissement. There was a massive accident near Stalingrad, involving 9 vehicles and all the victims were sent to Saint-Louis. Kyuhyun was called to help at the emergency unit and he hasn't had a break since morning. 

When finally the last patient was treated, a senior doctor patted Kyuhyun's shoulder and said "Allez prendre une pause" (go and take a break). 

Kyuhyun smile and said "dans un moment" (in a moment), and finished up bandaging the patient. He handed over the job to the nurse after he finished the initial bandage. The nurse smile sweetly at him and took over the bandaging. 

Dr Kyuhyun Cho was very popular eversince he arrived. He's tall, very handsome and was fluent in French. Somehow the French love Asians who could speak their language, and so he became the hot topic among nurses and female doctors. Female doctors would arranged their shift to be with Kyuhyun and the nurses would wave and smile at him whenever he walked pass them. Kyuhyun would just be polite and just smile back and did a slight bow. His action often made the nurses squeel and talked excitedly among themselves. 

After buying his sandwich at the cafeteria, Kyuhyun sat at one corner and took out his phone. It was already 4pm, and he hope Sungmin would have time to talk. He knew it would be around 11pm and Sungmin would be going around the ward for his night rounds. 

Sungmin picked up after 3 rings. "Yobosaeyo.  Kyu?" 

"Min!! I'm so sorry to call late. There was some emergency and I have to help" 

"Heyyy, it's ok, I understand. Are you finally having a break? Have you eaten yet?" 

Hearing Sungmin's voice made all his tiredness disappeared. "Yeah, I got a sandwich. Eating now. And I really missed your cooking" 

"When you are in France, eat what the French eat! And you missed my cooking only?  How about me? " Sungmin chuckled teasingly, evethough he knew the answer. 

"I missed you the most, Min" 

Sungmin sat down on his chair and touched his chest. How he missed Kyuhyun too. "I missed you too, Kyu. Ohh guess what? I finally manage to arrange to bring over all my stuff and now I've officially move in to your apartment! Your apartment is so huge!" 

"That's good! Ah well, I think because you are alone, that why it seemed so huge. It's just slightly bigger that yours" 

"No, really, it is huge!! And I'm trying to get used to it. Anyway Kyu, I've booked my tickets to Paris next month, and have applied for leave. I will text you my flight details later ok". 

"That's wonderful! I'm really looking forward for you being here!!!"

"Kyu, can you text me your address too? In case you have to attend an emergency case and couldn't pick me up?" 

"How can I not pick you up? I will make sure the day you arrive is my day off"

"Just in case, Kyu, you can never tell... " 

"Ok ok I'll text you my address later. By the way, when is your brother coming to Daejeon?" 

"Next Sunday. His interview is on Tuesday. But he said most probably he would choose the internship in Seoul, because it's nearer to home"

"Tell him Daejeon is as good as Seoul and he can always stay with us. The internship is for just a few months right?" 

"He told me 3 months"

"Yeah so he can just stay with us, and to consider the Daejeon internship too" and Kyuhyun added softly "ermm it's just that we might be noisy on some nights". 

"Kyu! ... other people might hear you" Sungmin said shyly. 

"Hahaha, nobody understand Hangeul here, don't worry. You know Min, I can grumble loudly in Hangeul if I am not happy with anything and nobody will understand" Kyuhyun laughed. 

"But I bet you are one of the most popular exchange doctors there. You are tall, handsome and available" 

Sungmin heard Kyuhyun sigh "I wish I'm wearing a ring or something, to show them that I'm not available. I should get us rings before I left". 

"Kyu, a ring means we are binded to each other" 

"Aren't we? I love you and I want us to be together forever" 

Sungmin felt his eyes moist with tears. Kyuhyun's confession really touched his heart. "You make me feel like crying..." 

"I wish I can hug you now. I'm so looking forward for you to be here next month".

"Time flies, Kyu, I will be there in no time" 

His phone buzzed and he told Sungmin to give him a minute to check his message "Oh Min, I need to get back to the ER, seemed like one of the patient got into serious condition" 

"Oh then go ahead. And Kyu, you don't have to call every night if you are busy. I understand. Just text me will do" 

Kyuhyun was walking while talking "I will missed your voice, but yeah, I will text you if I really didn't have the time or only have a short break. I got to go, ok. I love you" 

"I love you too, Kyu. Take care" and the line went dead. Sungmin took a deep breath. Of course he wanted Kyu to call him everyday, but he understood fully doctor's schedule. And he is an exchange doctor, so Kyuhyun needed to contribute as much as possible to show his expertise as a Korean doctor. 

Back in Saint-Louis, Kyuhyun rushed to the ER and was told that there is an emergency surgery as the patient suddenly had brain haemorrhage. It is his area of expertise and he immediately volunteered to help. 

The surgery took 4 hours, and when the head surgeon finally announced that it was successful, he turned and congratulated Dr Cho for taking the correct step to stop the haemorrhage, making everybody in the surgical room clapped their hands and praising Dr Cho. 

Kyuhyun only managed to catch some sleep about 3 hours later and before he slept, he saw Sungmin's text with the flight details, and some words of encouragement. He smile and took a deep breath. Sungmin always gave that effect on him. He missed holding Sungmin in his arms and he felt lonely  whenever he thought of Sungmin. 

Kyuhyun was on the verge of falling asleep when somebody opened his door and walked in.  He became alert and sat up. Switching on his lights, he saw Dr Eliza Laurent walked slowly in. Thinking that she might be here to inform him of another emergency, he got up and quickly think of the correct French words to ask her.  

But before he could ask, suddenly Dr Eliza hold his face and started kissing him.. !