Goodbye to Daejeon

Night shift

 

Sungmin told Kyuhyun everything regarding the meet up with The Dean, Dr Park and Miss Song. The reason why he cried was because he felt sad that Dr Park hated him. He didn't know being close to Kyuhyun was so wrong in Dr Park's eyes.

Kyuhyun hugged him tightly. "Don't believe what he said, and don't care about him. He was just pissed off because he could no longer make use of me, so he vent his anger on you. I was so stupid to follow what he said all these while. I really thought that he is a good senior but lately I realised that he was actually making use of me to be in the Dean's good book that he was my advisor".

After a while, Sungmin sobered down, and said "Kyu, is it okay if I visit my family first at Ilsan before we fly off to Paris?" 

"Of course! And it's a good idea because we can fly off from Seoul instead of from here. At least we know for sure Dr Park will not tail us!" 

"You should visit your family too in Seoul, Kyu. We might not come back here so often next time, so at least they got to see you before you go" 

"Alright, I will" he was thankful that Sungmin always think about his family too. "I've ordered pizza. Let's eat?" Kyuhyun got up and offered his hand to pull Sungmin up. He intertwined their hand and walked out to the dining room. The smells of pizza made Sungmin realised how hungry he was! 

"Kyu, why you ordered so many!" Sungmin said when he saw there were 3 large pizza. 

"Because you didn't eat lunch, so I'm very sure you are super hungry!" Kyuhyun chuckled. 

Sungmin laughed and passed him a plate. He took a slice and put on his plate and started eating. "Ohhhhhmygodddd, the pizza is so delicious!!" 

"That's because you are hungry!" Kyuhyun laughed, making Sungmin laughed too. He was glad that Sungmin started laughing. He would deal with Dr Park later, but right now, he just want to see his boyfriend happy and smiling again. 

Sungmin told him that he would booked a coach ticket to Ilsan so that Kyuhyun need not drive him there. He planned to go on the next day after his last day of working. Though Kyuhyun objected to it, he finally agreed because he himself could not apply leave anymore since he is serving resignation notice. And he has been assigned day shift for many surgeries. 

"Kyu, you must remember to have proper meals and enough sleep, since I won't be here" 

"I will miss you for that 2 weeks!" 

"We'll meet after your last day of service and then we are staying together forever, so be thankful that it's only 2 weeks of separation Dr Cho!" 

"Yeah yeah, but I will still miss you! Anyway I've called the landlord of the apartment that I stayed previously, whether we can send our boxes there to store them temporarily? She agreed as long as I pay some fees. She has no tenant till a few months later, so she told me to let her know the courier consignment number as and when I ship, so that she could track them and opened the apartment door when the boxes arrived". 

"Ohhh that is so nice of her..." 

"Yup, I am so grateful that she's willing to help, or else I have to arrange to store our boxes at a warehouse first"

"Thanks Kyu, for all the arrangements. I will start packing those that we don't need to use first". 

So for the next few days, Sungmin started packing both their stuff that they would be bringing to Paris into big boxes bought from Korea Post, with bubble wraps and some with newspaper. Kyuhyun helped too, of course, and once he has sealed them, he brought them to Korea Post to ship them to Paris.

On the last days of his night shift, Sungmin was busy planning his hand-over and training Ryeowook on how to plan staff shift work so that staff strength would be balance between all rotating shifts. 

"I'm sad that I won't be having you around boss..." Ryeowook said sadly while walking with Sungmin from the cafeteria. 

"You'll have Hyukjae with you next time! He agreed to be transfered to our team" 

"Yeah, but you are different and I will definitely miss you. Promise me that you will keep in touch?" 

"I promise" Sungmin put his palm on his chest to show Ryeowook that he mean it. 

"So when are you going back to Ilsan?" 

"After my last shift. I've book the coach ticket for the morning trip" Sungmin said while waiting for the lift. 

Unknown to them, there was a pair of ears who were listening to their conversation. Dr Park was behind them and was walking quietly so that they didn't suspect anyone behind them. "Hmm good, so he is really going back to Ilsan!" he smile  sarcasticly. "I better trail him at the coach station in case he didn't tell the truth!" he smile wickedly, and walked the other direction away from the lift. 

Ryeowook and Sungmin entered the lift to go to their floor. When thd lift door closed, Ryeowook asked Sungmin "Why go back by coach? Dr Cho not driving you?" 

"He is on day shift till his last day of service, and can't take anymore leave unless unpaid leave. I didn't want to trouble him eventhough he objected to me taking the coach. But he relented and anyway, Sungjin will pick me up from Ilsan coach terminal, so Kyu is okay with it".

Ryeowook nodded and was feeling happy and proud of his friend. For love and for their future, Sungmin was willing to sacrifice everything to be with the one he loves. Quietly, after somebody had hinted to him, Ryeowook has actually planned for a surprise farewell party among the nurses and some of the patients, and they would hold it at ward 5B. The patients all loved Sungmin and wanted to give him a memorable farewell. They would decorate the ward and Ryeowook would make sure Sungmin didn't go to that ward. He has even informed Dr Cho who said he would drop by and would not tell Sungmin anything! 

Before he left for his last night shift at the hospital, he packed his remaining clothing and toiletries into his luggage and carrier bag. He only left his current clothings in the laundry, which Kyuhyun said he would wash and bring along in his luggage. Once he reached the hospital, he went to Kyuhyun's room first as they won't be seeing each other till 2 weeks later. 

Kyuhyun hugged him and kept telling him to text him before his coach leaves and once he has reached Ilsan. 

"Yes I will. By the way, Kyu, your dinner is in the fridge and remember to heat it up okay. Don't eat it cold like last time" he rolled his eyes and Kyuhyun laughed. 

"That time I was in a hurry because I got an emergency call!" 

"Haha okay okay, anyway I will do the laundry tomorrow morning and hang them to dry so you can just fold and put them in your luggage, and I've packed all my remaining stuff in my luggage and bag. You just check again one more time in case I missed out anything before you leave to Seoul later on" 

Kyuhyun nodded "Alright, anything else wifey?" 

Sungmin giggled "No..." 

Kyuhyun kissed him "Okay, you better go, your shift is going to start soon. I'll leave after I finish doing one surgery report" 

"Okay. See you in 2 weeks time.." and they hugged again before Sungmin left. He used the staircase to go down to his level 5, which was a wise decision because Dr Park just came out from the lift!

Dr Park went to his room and login to their system to apply half day morning leave tomorrow, because he wanted to go personally to the coach terminal to see whether Sungmin really left or not. 

Things were normal in the wards and Sungmin didn't suspected anything. Ryeowook casually said "Boss later you check ward 5B first before you go to the other wards. Ward 5A has a new patient, so the girls need to get the bed ready first" 

"Alright" and Sungmin continued to update patients' record so that all records would be up to date and he could leave in peace. He was so engrossed in his work that he didn't even realised the nurses were busy coming in and out of Ward 5B with deco and food. He didn't even noticed that somebody walked past his nurse station. 

At 8.30pm, Ryeowook came back to the nurse station and called out to Sungmin "boss, can you come to ward 5B? Mr Kim is asking for you" 

Sungmin looked up "Oh alright" and he saved his updates and logout. He took his phone with him and was surprised that Ryeowook didn't wait for him. Once he reached Ward 5B, he was surprised again that the door was closed. Normally at night, they would leave all ward doors opened. 

He pushed the door open and stepped into a dark ward. Then suddenly the lights were on and everybody shouted "Surprise!!!!!!" and everybody was clapping their hands and Sungmin closed his mouth in shock. He saw the ward was beautifully decorated and all his team of nurses were there, and even the patients were wearing party hats. And among the nurses, was none other than his beloved Dr Cho. 

"Ohmygod, you all gave me a shock! When did you all plan this? And Dr Cho, why are you still here?!!" Sungmin said happily and Kyuhyun walked towards him and put a party hat for him. He smile and pinched  Sungmin's nose and said "everybody loves you, you know". 

Ryeowook was taking photos and managed to capture these two lovebirds expression when Kyuhyun put the party hat on Sungmin's head. He smile to himself and would forward the photo to Sungmin later. "Ok boss, please give a speech and then you can cut the cake!" 

"Do I have to??" Sungmin said, referring to the speech. 

"Yes, faster..." Ryeowook said making everybody laughed.

"I...I enjoyed all my years here and this is my 2nd home and all of you are like my family. But at one point of time, we all have to make decisions and move on. I hope nobody will cry..." 

"I will cry..." both Ryeowook and a patient Kim Heechul said at once, making everybody laughed again. 

Laughing, Sungmin continued "and do continue to work hard under Ryeowook's leadership!" and he started to clap, followed by everybody else. 

Ryeowook bowed and thanked Sungmin. Sunny pushed the pedestal with the cake to the centre and gestured Sungmin to come nearer. Sungmin took the plastic knife from Sunny and looked down at the cake. It was so cute, it has a Peter Rabbit design and the cake was in rose white, with  words "All the best to our Sungmin!". 

He took out his phone to take photos of the cute cake and then gestured everyone to pose with him. Ryeowook pushed Kyuhyun to stand next to Sungmin, and arranged all the 4 patients to be 2 on each side, and the rest of the nurses stood at the back.  Kyuhyun put an arm on Sungmin's shoulder and smile sheepishly at him. 

Sungmin then slowly cut the cake with cheers from everyone, and then divided the cake into smaller pieces for each of them. There are a lot of finger foods too, and after eating the cake, Kyuhyun told everyone that he needs to go. Of course he couldn't kiss Sungmin, so he patted Sungmin's shoulder and winked at him, and then left. 

They have that mini party till 9.30pm, and by 10pm, the ward is back to normal and the patients were given their medications. 

Back at their nurse station, Sungmin turned to Ryeowook "Thank you, Wook, I know you planned all this!!" Sungmin said, appreciating the surprise party.

"Actually Dr Cho was the one who hinted to me to do something for you on your last day, so I started planning all these with the help from the other nurses. And then when I told him about the surprise party, he gladly said he would stay back and join us for a while!"

Sungmin chuckled, so Kyuhyun has been keeping this as a secret! He texted Kyuhyun to say thank you for dropping by and whether he has taken his dinner. Kyuhyun replied back that he was feeling lonely because he was eating alone, and put sad emoticons. Sungmin smile happily and continued doing his work. 

The next morning before ending his shift, he shook hands with everyone and hugged Ryeowook and Hyukjae. He packed all his things, returned back his uniform, and then returned his staff pass. The feeling was both a mixture of happy and sad. Happy because he would move to the next stage in his life, but sad because he would be leaving behind many good friends in his years of working in this hospital. 

Once he reached home, he bathe, got dress, did the laundry, sat down to eat the sandwiches prepared by Kyuhyun with a note "prepared with love", hang his and Kyuhyun's laundry, and started cleaning up the house and did his final packing. He called for cab, dragged his luggage and bag out when the cab arrived, and locked the door. 

At the coach terminal, he bought buns to eat on the coach, and took out his ticket and queue at the passengers line for the coach to Ilsan. He was texting and reading his messages on his phone, but sensed that somebody was watching him. So he looked up, but he didn't see anybody looking at him. That was a strange feeling. 

Once the driver's helper has placed his luggage in the luggage compartment, he onboarded the coach and found his seat next to the window. 

At the terminal bench, Dr Park was eyeing Sungmin all these while, and at one point, he managed to quickly squatted down to pretend to pick up something when Sungmin looked up. Then he carefully stood behind a pillar and waited if Kyuhyun came to see Sungmin. 

But Kyuhyun never came, and Sungmin onboarded the coach alone, and Dr Park saw the coach label stated that the coach was going to Ilsan. 

"So, there wasn't anything going on between Kyuhyun and Sungmin?" Dr Park was baffled. He shook his head in disbelief. "Can't be. I will wait until the coach leaves. Then I can be sure that stupid Sungmin is not going back with Kyuhyun". 

When the coach started moving, Sungmin looked out to say goodbye to Daejeon. A city that had given him a good job and where he had found love. 

Then as the coast slowly moved and  past by the carpark, Sungmin saw Dr Park, walking with his head down towards his car. "Ehh, Dr Park! What was he doing here? Was he sending someone?". Then it dawn on him why he felt that he was being watch! Dr Park must be watching him! 

Realisation hit him "Ohmygod, Dr Park just want to make sure that I left alone to Ilsan, and without Kyu? Ohmygod, if it is true, that means he must have taken leave just to make sure I really left Daejeon!" Sungmin face-palmed and shook his head.