Apartments & Neighbors

Blood & Beignets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Hoseok stared before the apartment building before him, he shrugged. For a baker, Min Yoongi's pretty well off. 

On the sheet of paper that Jin had given, Hoseok saw that Yoongi's apartment was on the second floor, so there was no need to take the elevator that went up six floors from the ground. As he got to the second floor, he saw that there were at least ten doors, five on each side. The odd numbers were on the right side, the even on the left.

"003...003...ah, here it is!" Hoseok remarked to himself. Below him, he saw a tiny cardboard box: the replacement part. 

He looked up.

Then to the side.

Then to the other side.

Surprisingly, there aren't any cameras here. He had thought the same thing when he was looking at the building plans for the entire complex. 

"Something about wanting to keep the residents' privacy, from what I've heard," Bang Si-Hyuk had told him over the usual burner number.

Placing the small box beside him, Hoseok crouched in front of the doorknob, preparing his bobby to fumble with the lock so he could gain entrance.

"YAH!"

He jumped in place, immediately retrieving the bobby pin to pocket it. When his head turned towards the entrance he had come from, he didn't see anyone.

"DID SHE ACTUALLY--my goodness, the poor thing. I'll be stopping by later, anyway, so I want to meet this new guy."

The assassin watched as a man on the phone came into view as he turned the corner. He had purple hair, a loose black jacket with white trims at the end, a white t-shirt, and a small necklace. Black jeans fitted around his lean legs, paired with a pair of black combat boots. He posed a striking aura when he walked, his steps falling into a bit of a swagger as he walked around like he owned the place. I've encountered targets like that in my line of work--aren't they normally the ones?

"Oh, there's someone outside your door, hyung."

Hoseok stiffened and began to explain himself. "Wait, it's no--"

"You're asking if he has red hair? Yes, he does."

"Um, si--"

"And if he's wearing the waiter uniform? Yes, he is--OH!" The unknown man finally directed his 'undivided' attention to Hoseok. "You're the new hire at MiniMini, aren't you?"

He sighed. "Indeed, I am." Bowing, he introduced himself. "I'm Jung Hoseok. It's nice to meet you..."

"Kim Namjoon!" the man returned his bow and even held out his hand, to which Hoseok shook it gratefully, relieved. "I'm one of Jin and Suga's friends."

"Suga?" The name seemed foreign to Hoseok.

"Oh, you don't know yet? He's--sorry, hyung, but if he's the new hire, then I just HAVE to tell him about this. Oh, don't you go protesting on me. I'll be over in a few! Bye!" With a firm tap, Namjoon ended the call. "Do you know why Min Yoongi is called 'Suga'?"

"I don't, actually." Frankly, the assassin was actually curious to hear this--this wasn't said in the files. It might be something important.

"It was recently an employee inside joke--well, Jin and I were on the case, too--about his personality. Even though he seems so cold and frigid with those intimidating eyes of his, in reality, he's actually a really nice and kind person. He's sweet, like SUGAR--so that's why we gave him that nickname."

As soon as he heard it, Hoseok broke out laughing in the middle of the hallway. "SUGA?! Seriously?! Oh, this is too good."

"But don't you agree? Have you properly gotten to know him yet or not?"

"No, I have." Hoseok reminisced back to earlier that day, when they were in the storage closet, and Hoseok was being jokingly beat up with a rolling pin. He couldn't stifle the smile that lit up his face from remembering the memory. "I agree with you. Then again, he's also a baker, too."

"That's exactly why it's so perfect for him!" The waiter/assassin saw Namjoon smile, and it intrigued him to see a pair of dimples that appeared on his face when he smiled. "Jung Hoseok, it's nice to meet you."

"You don't have to be so formal, Namjoon..."

"Wait, are you younger than Suga?"

"Yes."

"When were you born?"

"February 18, 1994."

"Ah, we're the same year! But I'm younger--I was born on September 12. Should I call you hyung, then?"

"Honestly, I don't care. I'm just glad that I'm getting to know you!" And he really was. Namjoon had this personality that let Hoseok relax every time he was around him. "Are you going to MiniMini soon?"

"Actually, I was planning on dropping off some stuff before heading there."

"Do you live here?"

"I do! I live right next door of 003." He pointed to the apartment that was numbered 001.

"Number one, huh?"

"It's my favorite number. I'm glad I was able to get that spot."

"Wait, but I thought Jin-hyung also lived next door."

"Technically, he lives right across from Suga. Look!" He turned Hoseok around and saw the apartment across Yoongi's labeled 004. "I wanted him to live right across from me, but somebody had already taken that apartment."

"Did you three move in together?" For all I know, Namjoon may be closer to Min Yoongi than I thought.

"Yeah, we actually did. I used to be a junior of the both of them in high school, but then they went off to culinary school and I went into finances."

"You're a finance person?"

"I'm an entrepreneur, for pete's sake!"

Hoseok widened his eyes. The power he must hold! "An entrepreneur?! Why the hell are you living in a regular apartment like this?"

"I wanted to be close to my friends, but I also wanted to stay humble. I prefer living in my comfy apartment here than in a grand mansion like you see in Korean dramas."

Something hit him in Hoseok's heart--a sentiment that he hasn't felt in a long time. He saw it in the close-knit friendship that he saw in Yoongi, Jin, and Namjoon.

Companionship.

That's its name, isn't it?

"Oh, I'm sorry!" He noticed that Namjoon was looking at the small box that Hoseok had picked up. "You were on your way to deliver something to Yoongi, right? I'm so sorry for taking up your time!"

"No, it's nothing. I really enjoyed meeting you! You're a really cool person!" For once, Hoseok was preaching the truth.

"Same here, Hoseok." Namjoon admitted as he unlocked the door. "Oh, I figured it out! Hoseokkie!"

Hoseok snorted at the stupid nickname that his new friend had given him. "Hoseokkie? Really?"

"It's funny and suits you well."

"Fair enough. I should get going, though; I hope Yoongi doesn't become mad with me for the delay."

"Yah, if anything, I should be the one he gets mad at. If he does question you about the delay, make sure to drop my name."

"I appreciate it, but I got this. I need to take responsibility for everything."

A sounding laughter could be heard echoing through the halls. "See you later, Hoseokkie!"

Hoseok smirked to himself as he went down the stairs.

It was nice meeting you as well, Kim Namjoon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter