Trials & Smiles

Blood & Beignets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi hasn't been this happy in a while.

Normally, every day in the kitchen, he would always put on a serious demeanor as he sifted powdered sugar upon the daily beignets, or hand-frosted the bare appearance of a three-tier vanilla cake for an order, or even grated orange zest for one of Jin's additions to the already-popular marble cake that had caught lots of interest. He would always be absorbed in the baking, absorbed in the desserts as he felt a blissful gratefulness for possessing the ability to create such fantastic masterpieces (even though it came at a cost of hard work).

Yet for today, it seemed that he just couldn't keep his signature gummy smile off of his face as he prepped for the day with his fellow co-owner and friend. He tried to stifle it, tried to maintain his routine of being serious, but his cheeks kept getting pulled into revealing his adorable grin. It was as if mysterious forces were at work to make Min Yoongi look more cute than normal. He was already cute enough.

As he himself had noticed it, his friend had also noticed it as well. Jin even almost scoffed at the shocking sight of his normally-neutral dongsaeng smiling like a fool in--no, he couldn't assume just yet. 

"What's got you into a mood today?" Jin broke the ice as his eyes laid upon Yoongi's figure, momentarily stopping his rolling pin from rolling out pie dough any further--yes, even though his attention was supposed to be on the new cotton candy-flavored special he and Yoongi concocted up specifically for the season (autumn was always sentimental, after all, and they thought a twist on pie was the best way to express that), he just had to satiate his curiosity by finally posing the question. 

"Eh?" The question had taken the blonde baker aback. "What do you mean?" Jin had to scoff right then and there--Yoongi just had the audacity to question something he already knew the answer to. Unbelievable.

"You know exactly what I mean, Min Yoongi. You've been smiling at your triangular, tri-flavored candy glass for the Dimple mousse cakes for the past fifteen minutes. Obviously, you're happy, and I want to get in on this happiness. Can't one of your longtime friends do that?" 

Defeated, Yoongi sighed and placed his hands against the cool steel of the prep table to prepare himself for elaborating. "I..." Jin could see the younger's figure elevate and descend in the form of a deep breath. "I like someone. And they actually like me back."

Yoongi certainly wasn't prepared for the guttural cry of a squeal that Jin had elicited from his mouth nanoseconds after, disturbing the focus of the other bakers who were preparing other desserts for the day. "Are you KIDDING ME?! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!" Jin continued to shriek as he engaged into wrapping the smaller baker into a constricting bear hug, much to the younger's chagrin. 

"Oi, that's enough already. I actually want to get a lot of work done today and sell some good desserts. How's the Pied Piper going?" Yoongi wrenched his older friend's arms off of him and tended to finishing the candy glass for the Dimple mousse cake. His smile just got bigger, however.

"This is my sixth pie, Yoongi. Sixth. I'm on a roll--get it? Because I'm rolling the pie dough?" Jin's windshield wiper laugh filled the kitchen as Yoongi merely looked on, cringing as usual when it came to his jokes. "But seriously, who is it? Who are you dating now?!" 

Right at that instant, Hoseok, still clothed in his casual garb, walked into the kitchen to head to the back in order to change into his waiter outfit for the day. "Morning, Jin-hyung!" he casually greeted as he did with every morning he had a shift on. 

This time was different.

When Hoseok locked eyes with Yoongi, both of them were as still as a calm river in the winter. They never looked away from each other, and it felt as if they were communicating with each other telepathically. Despite the hustle and bustle in the kitchen at the moment, the only people who didn't move at all were Hoseok and Yoongi.

Well, also Jin, but his eyes were shifting back and forth between the two from the sudden 'aura' that had arisen.

Hoseok's eyes shifted downwards towards the kitchen floor out of embarrassment--embarrassment? "Morning, Yoongi." he croaked out, his voice very much a bit unsteady if Jin wasn't listening in carefully. To see Hoseok embarrassed--loud, vibrant, exciting, vivacious Hoseok embarrassed--was the second big surprise for Jin. It wasn't even opening time for MiniMini yet!

Yoongi ruffled his own hair and laughed—laughed—after witnessing Hoseok’s morning greeting. “Morning, Hoseok-ah.” was his swift reply, and Jin then noticed a blush reflected upon both of their faces.

When Hoseok brightly smiled back, Jin gasped.

The third surprise was always the best one, after all.

It was safe to say that Jung Hoseok may have had one of the best moments of his life.

Normally, Hoseok would spend his nights either planning for the next move in a mission or on his phone, but he didn't want to think about work, and his phone was still battery-dead and left behind in between the cushions of his own sofa. He didn't really care about much since he could finally care about something--someone in his life for once.

That Monday evening, after they had reaffirmed their feelings for each other, Hoseok and Yoongi promptly shared the former's neglected Serendipity Delight and discussed the schematics of their relationship. Yoongi had politely asked if they could "take things slow" since he was still "recovering from a previous love from the past". 

Hoseok could've already told him that he knew the baker used to be in love with Jimin. 

But he didn't.

Instead, he opted for a serious gaze into the older's eyes as he held the baker's hands to make a proclamation for him to know: "I hope I can be the one you will always look at from now on."

That prompted a hearty laugh, another gummy smile, and blotched-red cheeks from Yoongi as he replied, "We have time, Hoseok-ah!"

Despite such happy moments occurring, the reality began to hit Hoseok after Yoongi had left his apartment for the night. He recalled the possibility of Yoongi being that ruthless #84, the Naval District operative who further worsened the relationship between the Territorial District and the Naval District with the assassination of Territorial operatives. 

Even if Yoongi wasn't #84, what was Hoseok getting into, involving himself in a relationship with someone outside the organization? Has he gone mad for 'fraternizing' with an original target? Yoongi was suspected to be no ordinary citizen, and Hoseok was far from normal as it comes. These circumstances were completely different. 

The dread began to eat away at him when he woke up in the morning for his Tuesday shift at MiniMini. 

Why did I do this?

What the did I just do?

Why am I dating my own target?

Why did I have these feelings?

 

Why am I in love with Min Yoongi when he's clearly still in love with Park Jimin?

 

He kept remembering the real reason for holding the latest party for the group that Saturday--like hell he gave a damn about other people's stress. 

He was trying to forget about the letter that Yoongi had written for Jimin, the letter that contained many unspoken feelings,

the letter with a confession of love.

He was essentially trying to forget his feelings, but what's the point when things are advancing in a way such as this?

With every step he made towards the bakery that Tuesday morning, his weight became more unbearable, his steps beginning to become sluggish.

I messed up.

He opened the main door.

I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter