Meetings & Debriefings

Blood & Beignets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9:30 a.m. Monday morning--business was a bit slower than usual at MiniMini, considering the fact that it was a working weekday for the general public. However, that didn't stop the regulars and the newcomers from striding into the restaurant to get a quick pick-me-up from the baristas or a small dessert to treat themselves during lunch later in the day. 

Jin was 'okay'. That is, if 'okay' was defined as 'barely holding oneself together'. He was more in control of hiding the break-in from Yoongi, but that didn't prevent the incident itself to eat him out alive through guilt and dishonesty. He desperately wanted to tell his blonde colleague--he never really liked keeping secrets, anyway, but when it came to Yoongi, it was as if their entire friendship was based off of secrets; and now, the time came for Jin to hide his first secret from him.

He didn't know how long he could manage this secret, but he had to try.

As he observed the bakers working in the kitchen to continuously produce desserts for the customers that had the time to sit down at the restaurant, Jin heaved a brusque sigh. Deciding to abstain from careful observation for just a second, he headed out the kitchen to the storefront, where an average-sized line of people was lined up in front of the cashier to order various desserts and drinks. However, he was suddenly intrigued when he caught sight of Yoongi there, standing at a familiar spot where he could be subjected to the staring of several female customers.

Jin approached him carefully after taking a silent, deep breath. "Why aren't you in the kitchen?" he asked as he walked towards the blonde, but the latter didn't respond. In fact, Yoongi wasn't even paying attention to him at all; his head was inclined downwards to face his phone screen, and his eyebrows were knit in an emotion Jin could only detect as frustration. 

"Huh?" Yoongi replied after a two-second hesitation, but still didn't look up from his phone.

"I said," Jin emphasized to capture his attention, "why aren't you in the kitchen?"

Two more seconds passed by before the blonde baker exhaled and pocketed his phone, heading towards the kitchen once more. "It's nothin'," he mumbled as he walked past the older. 

It was at that moment when Jin decided to look around the store and discover that there was only one familiar, red-headed employee missing for their shift today: Hoseok. The mere thought brought a sly smile to the pink-haired baker's plump lips.

 

 

It seems that maybe Hoseok is cheating on Taehyung~

A couple of hours earlier at around 6:55 in the morning, Hoseok and Taehyung were waiting patiently in front of Si-Hyuk's office, awaiting permission to enter in five minutes. The red-head was planning on heading to work today at MiniMini, but Taehyung decided that he should take a day off in order to focus on synthesizing the information from the briefing into their next move into investigating Min Yoongi.

"You already know what's in those files, so what's the point of Boss asking you to attend this meeting?" Hoseok scoffed, a bit jealous at the fact that his colleague was able to access such sensitive files earlier than him. Seniority does matter in this type of field, unfortunately.

"I only peeked at the first couple of pages, so I don't know the entire story." Taehyung elaborated. "There are still some documents I'd like to get my hands on within those files; I'm sure that I saw a couple of pictures in there that will definitely be essential."

"What do you think we plan on doing after being briefed?" Hoseok was genuinely curious; was he supposed to continue to prove that Yoongi was this dangerous man that Si-Hyuk had described to him? Was he supposed to apprehend the baker immediately? At that instant, a question popped up within his mind. "Yah, whatever happened to that DNA sample you gave to Evidence Collect?"

Taehyung had seemed to completely forget about the saliva sample he had deposited at HQ just this past weekend. "Right! The results must've come in today. We're actually going to find out whether our target is truly someone that needs to be eliminated immediately."

As soon as Taehyung had said that, it was 7:00, and the doors to Bang Si-Hyuk's office opened. Crossing the threshold of polished wood and sleek, golden handles, the two assassins stepped forward simultaneously, matching their pace as they confidently approached their boss and ultimate superior. Anticipation raced within their veins when they had realized they were going to learn whether they could start planning their next assassination.

Despite such excitement, Hoseok couldn't help but feel dread when he remembered that Yoongi could've slain six men in cold blood and left one nearly for dead. The idea was still implausible in his mind, given the amiable experiences he's already shared with the blonde baker, but he had to be open to all the possible possibilities. Even so, that very thought wasn't the one that had given Hoseok such an unpleasant feeling within his gut.

It was the fact that he was in disbelief over his target becoming an actual...target.

He was losing a grip over his normal attitude for work, his normal bloodlust to get the job done, all because of one gummy-grinned baker. What was Hoseok supposed to think of that? How could he even be present before his boss without possessing such thoughts? He started to think about the shame, about how close he's gotten to the target and even his comrades, about how he was on the brink of forgetting the entire reason for his co-existence among such people.

He tried not to think about it any longer and merely hid his now trembling hands by placing them behind his back.

"Cat." Bang Si-Hyuk nodded towards Taehyung with a professional regard. "Spider." he addressed, doing the same for Hoseok. "After Cat's retrieval of certain Level X files as of recent, I have brought you two here to re-open a case with a dangerous figure whose identity has never been identified." With a solemn expression, the organization boss regally stood up holding three manila folders with their tops tinted in a dark blood-red;

the labels all read, "2012, January 20: Naval-Territorial Conference [UNSOLVED]".

"As you two should know well by now," Si-Hyuk began, "there are two major organizations that run the general underworld: the Territorial District, running businesses on land such as money laundering, and the Naval District, running businesses on sea such as the transportation of illegal goods." Hoseok and Taehyung nodded at this. "You are also very aware of the rivalry and tensions between the two." Another nod at this statement. "Listen up, boys. These very files I am holding in my hands are the files that led to those very tensions being created."

Both assassins paled at this and glanced at each other at the same time, but Si-Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter