Meetings & Greetings

Blood & Beignets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Name?"

"Jung Hoseok."

"Age?"

"23 years old."

"Blood type?"

"A."

"Where exactly did you come from?"

"Gwangju, sir."

 

"And that is exactly why you're our best candidate for this job. After a day, you've already gotten the basics down!" Mr. Bang grinned. "But here's a good one: why did you come to MiniMini searching for employment?"

"I need the extra money to pay off for my rent, but I also need it to help my ill mother, who is sick with a case of dengue fever after visiting Brazil this past summer."

"The poor thing! Hoseok-ah, you've got this. When's your interview?"

"Sometime later today. 5:00, I believe?"

"Eh? That means you've got an hour! What are you doing, staying here? Get to your apartment and get changed! Read over your again!"

"Yes, sir," Hoseok replied with finality, and left his boss's office to prepare himself.

Yoongi was looking down at his phone at a document--a resumé, to be specific.

At the top-right was a smiling man with red hair, and his name listed on the resume was "Jung Hoseok". 23 years old, with an online education due to financial problems. He was one of the new candidates for the new worker position that he had put up on the MiniMini website after Kai's unfortunate car accident.

I'd like to work for MiniMini not just for my own purposes--my mother's become sick after traveling, and I need the income for rent--but also to help around the community! Seoul's still relatively new for me, so I'd like to help around by helping to serve the delicious desserts that's being presented. I'll help make your customers into regulars in no time!" was what this Hoseok man had written under the section labeled, "Why do you want to work at MiniMini?"

"It's a good thing Kai didn't die, huh?" Jin asked from behind him, wrapping a friendly arm around the younger.

"I'll say. The police said she was found severely injured, and was predicted to have a case of blunt head trauma. Luckily, she survived, and was able to talk to us earlier."

"Jin, what time is it? I forgot my phone in the kitchen, and I left my watch somewhere else."

"Ah, seriously, you should have these things with you at all times!" Jin took out his phone and showed Yoongi the screen. "It's about 4:55 now. Isn't that Hoseok guy coming in soon for his interview?"

"Yes, he is."

"And you're seriously going to meet him like THAT?"

Yoongi looked down at his clothes. He was still clad in his white baker uniform, but there were streaks of neon-blue frosting all over his apron, and there was still residual flour upon his hands. "What's wrong with my current outfit?" he asked, unable to understand what Jin meant.

"You're a mess, Yoongi-ah."

"Who isn't?" At that moment, the bell above the door rang, and Jin looked at his watch. "It's time, isn't it?"

"Pretty much."

"Geez...I haven't talked to anyone new in such a long time. I've always been conversing with our workers, and I haven't had to get a new hire in a while. I'm not exactly the most social person on Earth."

"You want me to take over?"

"Nah, it's all right, hyung. You're busy whipping up your new dessert for the others, and here I am doing nothing but frosting. Plus, I've already read through this guy's resumé. It's no problem."

"Here he comes, then," Jin announced between the two of them, and left for the kitchen so Yoongi can attend to the prospective waiter.

When Yoongi turned around and exited the kitchen's anteroom, he went outside and was immediately greeted by the stares of many women, who made unimportant remarks such as "Omo!" and "Wow, isn't he a snack to look at?" as he made his way to the front, crossing his arms as he laid against the counter.

The baristas and working cashiers there were taken aback by their boss's sudden appearance; they knew he didn't like to go out to greet the customers. "Yoongi-hyung? Something wrong?" one of the baristas asked while making a matcha drink.

"I'm doing an interview, so don't focus on me and focus on yourselves instead," Yoongi ordered, running a last-minute hand through his hair to make himself look more presentable, in a way.

 

"I think you should be saying that more to the customers, don't you think?"

 

It was at this point when the murmurs increased at the entrance of one particular customer--at least, that's what Yoongi had initially thought--into MiniMini. 

This red-haired man donned a warm, black jacket with a starry pattern serving as its designed, complemented with a plain white shirt, a black belt, black (RIPPED) skinny jeans, and checkered sneakers. His hands were in his pockets as he strutted into the bakery, catching the looks of some female spectators, playfully grinning to them, who reacted with great, heart-struck sighs.

 

So this is Jung Hoseok. Yoongi scoffed. He wasn't wrong when he said he'll make our customers into regulars, he remarked.

Nonetheless, the baker held out a hand to shake Hoseok's. "Are you here for the waiter interview?" he asked, quasi-monotonous in tone.

But Hoseok remained unfazed by the lazy tone and kept his smile, gladly taking Yoongi's hand, shaking it twice before letting it go. "That's exactly what I'm here for, sir!" The baker then lifted up a hand to his own face, shielding him from looking at the red-head any longer. "Something wrong, sir?"

"...too bright..."

"Eh?"

Yoongi shook his head. "It's been a while since I've been to the storefront. I forgot how much sunlight there was. Well, never mind." He gestured over to Hoseok, beckoning to him. "Follow me. Let's head to my office so that we can be under more..." He looked around at the bakery, catching the eyes of many women still looking at him and Hoseok. "...comfortable circumstances. Shall we?"

"Just lead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter