Campfire and the Moonlight Melody

Title

“I-Irene...?” Seulgi, bewildered but also happy because of the hug, was trying to figure out where she should put her hands. On Irene’s back? Waist? Shoulder? “A—um, y-you okay? Are you dizzy because you just woke up?” she asked the girl whose top of head touched her chin. She looked around and noticed that others were looking at them in confusion. Believe me, people, I am, too, confused with this situation, she said non-verbally. “Seulgi,” Irene called her faintly. Now, Seulgi’s hand had found their way to the latter’s back.

 

“Y-yeah?”

“Your idea... really, how could it cross your mind when I only told you once?”

“I am very good at remembering,” especially when it comes to you.

“I never thought that this would be possible. God, how can I thank you?”

 

Irene pulled away and looked at Seulgi with such endearing gaze. Seulgi might melt at that instance but she tried to stay still and hold Irene as close as possible. That was the closest they’ve ever been. “Just be happy and let your stress go away here with me. I’m glad if I can help you, Rene.” The taller gave a shy yet genuine smile. “What did you just call me?” Irene asked with her eyebrows raised a little. “Rene? Really?” she tried to check whether what she heard was correct. “Uh, yes. W-was it weird? I’m sorry...”

 

The answer was a chuckle and some headshake. “No. No one ever call me ‘Rene’ again since quite a while. Usually only those who are close with me use that nickname on me.” Irene explained while Seulgi seemed to process what she said. “Oh, so like... your bestfriend, like Jennie, calls you ‘Rene’?” asked the monolid eyes girl. Irene shook her head again. “But she’s close with you, right?” Now the girl was confused again.

 

“She called me Joohyun.”

“Your real name is Bae Joohyun?”

“Yeah. Jennie likes to call me Joohyun when I annoy her.”

“Whoah! My cousin’s name is also Joohyun! And she’s also beautiful!”

 

Bae Joohyun blinked twice. The table was turned. Now she was the one who tried to understand Seulgi’s words. “What? Is that how you tell me that I’m beautiful? While holding me like this and comparing me to your cousin?” she gave a smirk and a playful look which she always used whenever she tried to tease Seulgi. It worked every time including now. “I-I mean! I... y-you are beautiful! I’ve told you that before a-and... I’m sorry.” Seulgi slowly let go of her hands and looked away, flustered. “I wish you weren’t sorry, Kang Seulgi. I liked it.” Irene won again and gave the younger a wink before she turned back to the van and took her bag.

 

She always won. She won Seulgi’s heart every time but she didn’t know that. Only Seulgi knew.

 

The next thing they did was setting their spot. It turned out that the van was the tent. They would sleep in the back of the van with two sleeping bags and there would be a curtain they’d use as the entrance or door to the tent. The windows also had small curtains so they could change their clothes comfortably. There were also small yellow lamps and decorations to place inside the van. Both Seulgi and Irene was preparing the tent and moving some stuff outside of the van.

 

“Food—”

“Don’t worry. I’ve brought a lot!” Seulgi showed a big black plastic bag.

“...that is for a night? Isn’t it too much?”

“It’s for breakfast too! And also, we might need some snacks before going to sleep.”

 

Irene remembered that Seulgi was good in eating. She wouldn’t worry about leftovers if she kept remembering that. “Would you like to have a walk around the campsite?” Irene asked after she finished putting her belongings in the van. Seulgi nodded and quickly finished arranging seats for two, a portable stove, and other tools for cooking later at night. “But we better get change first. I’ll just wear my hoodie. Wait a minute.” Seulgi went into the van to change while Irene was waiting for her and scanning the area. She decided that it was really nice.

 

“Seulgi,” called Irene.

“Yeah?” Seulgi replied from inside the van.

“Should we gather some woods to make campfire?”

 

The younger just finished changing and went straight to Irene side as soon as she got out the van. With her hair tied, she nodded. “That’d be a good idea. We don’t have to make it big, do we?” Irene smiled and took Seulgi’s hand. The younger smiled back. “No, we don’t have to. At least it would be better if we have a campfire.” And whatever that would make Irene happy, Seulgi was into it. So she said yes and walked side by side with Irene to the woods near the camping site.

 

The afternoon sun was perfect and its light shone through the leaves and branches. It made the woods more beautiful. Irene very much enjoyed the walk and continue praising the green and brownish scenery around her as she gathered firewood. Seulgi listened to her and shared some childhood memories with Irene. Her brother also liked camping and would always ask Seulgi to go camping with her. Seulgi always enjoyed her camping trip with her brother.

 

“Will you enjoy this trip too?”

“Of course!” Seulgi replied right after she heard the question. “Will you?”

“I guess I will. I’m glad that I have you, Seulgi.”

 

Just with that compliment—was that even a compliment?—Seulgi smiled from ear to ear and was motivated to gather more woods. After they felt that it was enough, they took their time walking back to the van while chatting. It has been quite some time since the last time Irene went camping. She has been very busy and didn’t get the opportunity. She was always worried that she might be needed for work even on weekends. “Where’s your phone now?” Seulgi asked. “Here. In my bag.” Seulgi quickly held Irene’s bag and took the phone out. “What are you doing??” Irene was bewildered as she tried to get her phone back.

 

“You see? This is what makes you couldn’t relax. No phone during this trip!” Seulgi let out a small heh laugh which as annoying but also cute. Irene couldn’t help but pout and walked faster, leaving Seulgi behind. “H-hey! I’m serious! I mean, I want you to relax more! Irene!” Seulgi tried to keep up with her. Irene was just pretending to be mad. She wasn’t even mad when Seulgi took away her phone just like that. She knew that Seulgi was right. She just wanted to tease Seulgi again and again.

 

The night came as both were chatting and eating snacks on their own camping chair. When the sky got darker, Seulgi lit the firewood with a torch and not long after, a small campfire warmed up their evening. “This should be enough, right?” Seulgi went back to her seat. Irene was staring at the fire with a warm smile and Seulgi who noticed it couldn’t take her eyes off of her.

 

“Should we make some ramyeon now? I’m kind of hungry.”

Ramyeon? Okay.” Irene quickly got up and reached for the plastic full of other food Seulgi prepared.

 

The younger prepared the stove and the water to boil ramyeon while the latter prepared for other snacks she could make to accompany the noodle. “There’s no kimchi...” Irene whispered but Seulgi seemed to hear it. “Ah! I forgot the kimchi!” Then Irene declared that she wouldn’t eat if there’s no kimchi. “There’s no mart near here. What do you want me to do? Ask around for kimchi?” Then, Seulgi realized that she just gave Irene an idea when she saw a comfortable yet playful look on Irene’s face, again. “That’s not impossible, isn’t it?” Irene said as she walked closer and took over Seulgi’s spot near the stove.

 

“Are you serious?”

“I am.”

“It’ll be awkward! I don’t know anyone here!”

“Then I’m not eating.”

“Rene,” Seulgi was agitated because she really didn’t know how to ask a stranger.

“I dare you, Kang Seulgi.”

“Ugh, we’re not even playing truth or dare...”

“You can dare me back later.”

 

Seulgi lost because after a little of argument and negotiation she just couldn’t make it to Irene’s level. Irene must have done so many negotiation or given a counter argument which could persuade people. Or maybe it was just Seulgi who was easy to persuade. After going around the site, she returned with reddened face and some paper plates filled with side dishes aside of the demanded kimchi while Irene was just finished cooking the noodle.

 

“What’s all of that?” she asked with her eyes widened, amused. “How did you do that?”

“...they pitied me. The first campers didn’t have kimchi but they gave me some sausages. The second one had finished theirs and they gave me the leftover Korean pancake. The last one were a group of mothers who were on vacation and they gave me kimchi and the rest.”

 

There were some fried eggroll, kimbap, fried tofu and one serving of pork belly. Irene laughed as she found Seulgi very funny. She never imagined that Seulgi could get a lot of other dishes for their dinner. “Thank you, Seulgi. Can you... take over the ramyeon? I better get some fruits.” Seulgi gladly took back her place near the stove and humming while taking out the noodle and putting all of it into two bowls. Irene went back after she cut an apple and pear to enjoy after eating their main course.

 

“So, are you going to tell me what happened? What made you stressed out?” Seulgi asked and then slurped her noodle.

“The situation is a mess in my office. My team... they’re not making a good progress and I really hate it if I couldn’t give people the best.”

“And then?”

“Well,” she finished munching, “I snapped a little. I am a straightforward person when there is a problem like this. I told them that I was disappointed and I pushed them to work harder. Not getting you to be the cover girl was bad enough and I don’t need another mess to pile up my bad mood.”

“I believe they are doing their very best, Irene. Don’t give up believing in them and I’m sure that everything will work out in the end. For now, you should relax and enjoy the night.”

 

Both of them exchanged looks and smiles. Irene knew that Seulgi was right. She had been though the same situation a lot of times. Maybe she just needed a time to breathe this time. “You’re staring,” Seulgi messed up her thoughts and Irene just realized that she was thinking while looking at Seulgi. “I am not.” She looked away and got another bite of ramyeon plus kimchi. “You were. What? Something’s on my face or what?” Seulgi tried to tease Irene but the shorter just gave a smile as she turned back to face Seulgi. “No, Seulgi. Okay. I stared just now,” she winked, “but you stare all the time.”

 

The taller didn’t expect that. She never knew that Irene knew she stared at her. “I-I don’t!” Seulgi exclaimed as she gripped her chopsticks tighter. “You’re stuttering.” Again, just like every time she teased Seulgi, Irene gave a victorious smile. “T-this is just the way I talk!” On the other hand, Seulgi started to nag at herself in her mind and couldn’t believe how stupid and obvious she has been all this time. She gave Irene a quick glance before turning her attention to the ramyeon she almost finished.

 

“I like this camping trip,” Irene thought out loud while staring the sky that has turned black with a little sparks here and there. The stars came out to greet the beauty.

 

I like you, Seulgi said while, again, staring at Irene who seemed to be smiling. I want you to be happy.

 

Suddenly, Seulgi’s phone rang and both of them were startled. “Hey! You said no phone on this trip!” Irene protested. “W-wait, this is Sooyoung! I better pick up.” Seulgi stood up and put her bowl on the ground as she took out her phone. “Sooyoung?” Irene asked. “Uhh, Wendy’s girlfriend?” Seulgi replied and then excused herself to the front of the van so Irene couldn’t overhear the conversation.

 

“Sooyoung? What is it?”

“Yerim told me you’re camping with her cousin?! And how come I just knew that Irene is Yerim’s cousin?!”

“What? I thought there’s something important going on! I’m hanging up.”

“The camping is important, stupid. Aren’t you nervous?”

“E-eh? I uhh, yeah, but everything is fine.”

“Ooh, that’s good! I was worried that you’re being awkward and embarrass yourself in front of your crush.”

“What the—?!”

“Sssh! I know! Lately when we met up, there is always Irene, Irene, and Irene in your talks. Even when you saw her magazine you started to talk about her. When you see an advertisement you always told me that Irene would be a really awesome model if she wanted to. And so, you expected me not to know about you crushing on her?”

“...I’m that obvious?”

“Yes. She might realize it too.”

Seulgi paused for a moment.

“Seul?”

“If she knows then I’m telling her.”

“Are you freaking serious right now?”

“I am. I don’t know how this should go but this is... this is my feeling. Yeah, maybe I’m not really crushing on her. Maybe I’m just star-struck but I just... what I know is that I never look at someone the way I look at her. Is that weird?”

“Actually, no. I remember that you were also like this when you had a crush on Soojung.”

“Ya! It was in highschool! Don’t bring it up again!”

“And she was the cheerleading team captain! Oh my god, you have a really high standard, Kang Seulgi.”

“What does that even suppose to mean? I just... she’s beautiful in so many ways.”

“I’m also beautiful. So you’re crushing on me too?”

“I’m hanging up.”

“Ya—h!

 

Seulgi really hung up and quietly went back to Irene. She noticed that the latter was enjoying a pear while looking at the small fire. She got her phone camera ready and took a picture. It was beautiful. However, the camera made a sound and Irene looked back nervously. “W-what was that?” she almost dropped her pear. “I just... took a photo of you.” Somehow, Seulgi managed to catch the glimpse in Irene’s eyes but she couldn’t understand what it was. “Rene...” she called out softly and went back to her seat.

 

Right after that, she saw Irene’s gaze softened. Whatever it was... now has gone. Seulgi didn’t dare to ask so she just looked at Irene and tried to apologize. “Next time, if you want to take a picture of me, let me know.” Irene smiled but Seulgi still felt really bad. She knew she shouldn’t have done that. “Or take a selfie with me.” The idea got Seulgi’s head up again. The next thing she knew was that Irene took over her phone and started posing next to her with the front camera activated. She smiled along and took some selfies with Irene.

 

“This is our trip. I want you to be in the frame too.”

 

The night passed as they shared some snacks and sang some songs. Seulgi tried to make it up to Irene by singing a love song. Irene was pleased and seemed to forget what happened. Even though Seulgi still didn’t understand, at least she was satisfied that she could make Irene smile. One thing Irene didn’t know was that the song was genuinely sung for her.

 

“I’m kind of sleepy and it’s getting cold,” Irene said.

“Oh... let’s go inside. I’ll clean these up.”

“I’ll help.”

 

It just took them ten minutes to clean up and get into the van. The sleeping bag has been prepared neatly and everything looked comfortable. Seulgi turned of the lights and closed the doors. She opened the window a little to let the night air in. “We didn’t do much but at least you escaped the crowded city, right?” Seulgi said as she positioned herself comfortably in the sleeping bag. “Yeah, at least I’m away from the crowd. Thank you.” Irene said while smiling. It was a bit dark but they still could see each other now that their eyes had adapted to the dark.

 

“You’re very welcome. Let’s rest, shall we?”

“Uhum, good night, Seulgi.”

“Good night, Irene.”

 

They didn’t know how long the time has passed. Seulgi was still awake since she had so many things in mind. She didn’t move because she thought that Irene might have slept and she didn’t want to disturb her. Seulgi thought deeply about what she said to Sooyoung on the phone. Should I really confess? Does she really know that I like her? What if she doesn’t like it? What if she doesn’t feel—

 

There was a motion from Irene’s side and Seulgi froze, pretending that she was asleep. She closed her eyes and tried to make her face relax. The motion was gentle but she could tell that Irene was up. Maybe she had a dream that woke her up. “Seulgi... are you awake?” Irene whispered. Seulgi didn’t respond though she also didn’t know why she did that. Irene went quiet again. Seulgi thought that the latter must have gone back to sleep and just wanted to check whether she had slept or not.

 

But she thought wrong. Irene didn’t go straight back to sleep. Seulgi could feel her warmth near her so she persisted that she must stay asleep, pretending to sleep. The next second she felt her body heated up and her heart beating so fast she was afraid that Irene might hear it. She could feel soft lips pressing gently on her left cheek for seconds. Seconds. It felt even longer than that. Irene moved away slowly and whispered, “Thank you, Seulgi.”

 

That night, Seulgi convinced herself to sleep but she couldn’t make it that quick. She wanted the kiss to last. She wanted to keep feeling it as she was conscious. She didn’t want to think that it was just a dream.

 

Does she feel the same way?


 

 

Hi! I'm so sorry that I didn't make any updates on the weekend! I was very busy and I hope this chapter would make it up to you :"

I will update the story again later tonight! I hope you enjoy this chapter!