Seulgi - Stupid Cupid

Title

Seriously, who was that? Was she really Yeri’s cousin?

 

Seulgi stared at the name card she held. First, she was star-stricken by how beautiful the girl named Irene was. Now, she couldn’t believe that the one she asked ‘Do you like flowers?’ was an executive staff of one of Korea’s famous magazines. She sighed and looked at the vase Irene helped putting. “I asked, do you like flowers, Irene—ohmygod, so embarrassing!”

 

Knowing who Irene was, Seulgi came to a fast conclusion that Irene must like a lot of things, exclusive and expensive things, more than just some flowers. She kind of forgot Irene’s statement of how she loved nature. She reached her phone quickly and texted Yeri, scolding that sister-kind-of-best-friend of hers.

 

[To Yerimi: WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME?]

[From Yerimi: Eh? What? What? What did I not tell you?]

[To Yerimi: Your cousin. You didn’t tell me that she would be here instead of you. Where are you?]

[From Yerimi: Ooh, so you’ve met her? Sorry, I’m just.. I have something going on. I’ll be back before 3PM!]

[To Yerimi: Anyway.. how old is she? She looks so young. I should know how to address her if I ever see her again someday]

[From Yerimi: You want to meet her? I can help you with that! But she’s often busy, you know? She didn’t tell you about her job?]

[To Yerimi: …]

 

“What the heck did I just write?!” She was flustered with her unconscious wish; to meet Irene again. She had to explained, that was what she thought right to do. But then she typed, erased, typed, and erased her words again. “Would it feel like I do want to meet her again if I explain.. or deny… argh! I’m so stupid!”

 

[To Yerimi: No.. forget it. I’m cleaning the shop. Talk to you later]

 

There was no reply from Yeri so she thought it was better to get started. As soon as she took out the broom from the cleaning cabinet, she got confused. Irene said that she couldn’t stay to help her cleaning. Now Seulgi started at the shop and just realized that the floor has been swept. Even the windows! They have been cleaned! Was it Yeri? Was it… Irene?

 

Seulgi leaned her back to the wall near the counter and pondered. If Irene was an executive staff, her life must be very luxurious. Yet, from what she saw earlier, Irene didn’t dress up like an executive. She was just like an ordinary girl with extraordinary beauty. The way she talked was somehow laid back and soft, like a shy person.

 

The broom ended up being played around. Seulgi looked at the vase and thought that she could just clean that. Then, she would be free for some time before a costumer came. She put back the broom and grabbed a cleaning cloth for stuff. When she passed the counter, she glanced on a paper plate with a small piece of a cake. From the brand on the plate, Seulgi knew that it was from the next door café. She raised her eyebrows and learned that Irene must have ordered it.

 

“Why didn’t she finish it?”

 

Right after asking, she came up with a reason; Kang Seulgi. Yes, herself. She must have entered the store while Irene was eating the cake. “How rude, Kang Seulgi.” She took the plate and decided to throw it away. But then, when she already reached the trash bin, she stared at the cake. It was the last bite, she presumed, and Irene didn’t get to enjoy it.

 

May—no, no, no! It’s not yours! Seulgi talked to herself.

 

She continued her plan only to know that she was going to fail. Why? That girl imagined how the beautiful girl with red lips earlier ate and enjoyed the cake. The small fork was on the plate as well. Seulgi took it, got the last bite of the cake, and shoved it to slowly. She blushed. Mad.

 

Her sleeve covered her eyes. She stomped before throwing the paper plate and fork into the trash bin. “What am I doing, oh my god. I must be out of my mind!” Seulgi slapped her forehead repeatedly before giving up all her will on doing the cleaning when she sat on the counter chair. She gave a quick glance to Irene’s name card right next to her.

 

Why would I think that we would meet again? It’s not as if she’ll show up here tomorrow.

{ *** }

She was so pessimistic that she really didn’t give any expectation for the next day. She jolted from her chair when the doorbell rang. What does this mean? Seulgi gave a confused yet happy face as the person came closer to the counter. "Good day, Seulgi.” It was around 11 when Irene came to the flower shop. Just like when Seulgi came the day before when Irene was replacing Yeri.

 

“G-good day! What brings you here…?”

“Hm? Why? I can’t come to my cousin’s flower shop?”

“N-no, I mean,” she was flustered. “You want to see Yeri? She’s out to get our lunch.”

 

Irene looked different. She was classier and more elegant than before. Seulgi blinked twice, trying to study Irene’s style. The peach one piece plus red velvet blazer just fit her. Seulgi, again, made a quick conclusion that everything might look good on Irene. “Seulgi?” Irene called. “Ah! Yes?” replied Seulgi.

 

“I need your help. I just need some flowers to fill my empty table vase at my apartment.”

My help? Not Yeri’s?”

“What difference would it make? Aren’t you two florists?”

“Well, I’m just helping Yeri for a few months. She knows more.”

“So your expertise is not in flower?”

Seulgi shook her head. “I’m good in eating!”

 

That got Irene cracked up. Seulgi felt stupid instantly. Why did I say that, damn it, Seulgi! She ended up scratching her head like before. “Then why do you do your part-time here instead of restaurants?” Irene asked. “I, uh, I was not really looking for a job since I do have my other job. Yeri is a friend whom I have known for years and she needed help so I help her.”

 

Instead of buying flowers, they ended up talking about Seulgi. Yes, only Seulgi. Seulgi explained that she was a freelance photographer. She sometimes taught photography to young kids. She didn’t know how she got into the Beyonce topic, Beyonce is her idol, but Irene seemed didn’t mind at all.

 

“So, you do photography for quite some time. Does it help your living?”

“It does. Especially when there are a lot of clients.”

“That’s really good. Look, give me a call tomorrow at 1 PM. If you do that, I’ll treat you dinner.”

 

The girl was surprised. The reason? Both. Irene told her to call her and if she did, they would have dinner. “You mean… dinner with you?” Together? “Yeah, together.” Irene’s replied gave chills on her spine. It was as if Irene could read her mind! “O-okay… I’ll call you tomorrow..” Seulgi blushed again. She didn’t know why she cheered so loud on her mind, like she just won a lottery.

 

“Good. I would really appreciate it. I also look forward for our dinner. I better get going now.”

“Eh? You’re going already?”

“Yes. Do you want me to accompany you longer, Seulgi?”

“How about your flowers? You said—”

“Ah, that. I already texted Yeri. Don’t worry.”

“You… did?”

“I really should go now. Keep your promise, okay?”

 

Then, Irene just went, leaving Seulgi in confusion. “If she already texted Yeri, why bother coming here?” Why did she say she needed my help? Her thoughts didn’t help. It just made her blush even more but she couldn’t help but smile too. “What’s happening to me, really?”

 

“What? What happened to you?”

“AH! You startled me! Ya, Kim Yerim. Why didn’t you come from the front door?”

“How rude would it be if the owner of the shop brings food for herself and the employee through the front door? What if there are costumers? Forget it, let’s just eat.”

 

Seulgi didn’t say anything and started opening her lunch and dug in. She didn’t want to tell Yeri about Irene coming to the shop just now. Yeri must’ve know about it, right? Right?