I Just

Title

The dating rumor went for a week already. Seulgi didn’t know that the showbiz was interested in romance of the magazine company elites. It turned out that Park Bogum was famous and also become a model in the states while he was also working for the company with a quite respectable position. That was why the entertainment industry was interested about his love life; he was quite famous. Seulgi avoided the television like she always did. Not just that, she also avoided social media and anything about showbiz. She just couldn’t... couldn’t see the perfection of Irene and Bogum together. Her heart ached.

 

[To Yerimi: I’m coming to the shop.]

[From Yerimi: But you don’t work here anymore...?]

[To Yerimi: I need... I need to talk to you.]

 

Without waiting for a response from Yeri, Seulgi drove off to the shop where she used to help Yeri with her work. She has stopped being a part-timer since last week, the day she signed the contract of being the model for Irene’s proje—Irene and Bogum’s joint project. She also gained more time to do her photography, to relief her mind. She needed that. All the pictures in her camera memory were skies, city lights, flowers, and things around her. Skies reminded her of Irene. Yes, she remembered that the older girl admired the sky.

 

As soon as she got to Yeri’s flower shop, she went for a hug. The younger was flustered because it was so sudden but she managed to give her bear-like friend pats on her back. “It’s about my cousin, I suppose?” she asked when Seulgi finally let go of the hug. Seulgi nodded and looked at the big vase in the corner, her first memory of Irene. “I’ve heard the news. Honestly, I don’t like seeing them together. I don’t understand why... but, they don’t seem to be—”

 

“They’re perfect. Both are beautiful. They’re like a match made in heaven.”

“No, I don’t see it that way.”

“I saw them. There’s nothing I can change about the fact.”

Yeri sighed. “Alright, so... what is it that you want to talk about my cousin?”

Seulgi shrugged. “I... I honestly don’t know. If I want to stop falling for her, maybe I should just go?”

 

Yeri raised her eyebrows and blinked. “Go? Like where?” she asked and suddenly held Seulgi’s wrist as if she was afraid that her best friend would leave right at that exact moment and never to return. “I don’t know. I don’t know, Yeri. But if I do leave, I need you to not tell Irene about my whereabouts. I have to keep my distance... because one step closer, I... I think the wall I’m starting to build would just crumble.” Seulgi answered with her voice shaking. Yeri knew that Seulgi felt horrible. Her heart was broken.

 

“Listen, Irene would definitely kill me if I don’t tell her. But since you’re my best friend, I promise I won’t tell her. You do sound selfish just now but if that’s what it takes to make you better, I got your back.” Yeri gave Seulgi a warm smile. A smile Seulgi never saw often because usually the younger would smile playfully, with that trickster kind of look in her eyes as well. “You’ve grown... when?” she asked half laughing. She also managed to ruffle Yeri’s hair.

 

“Hey! I told you, I’m no kid now.”

“Yeah, but since when?”

“I don’t know, maybe since I met someone.”

“Excuse me?? Who is this someone?”

“Well...,” the doorbell rang and both girls turned to look, “definitely not her because oH MY GOD IT HAS BEEN A WHILE!”

 

Seulgi blinked because she couldn’t believe who came into the shop and was now receiving a very tight hug from Kim Yerim. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” That was definitely Yeri. Seulgi just stood there and... did nothing. She was pretty astounded with the situation. “I’m just checking on you! Irene mentioned you during my photoshoot and I realized that it has been so long since we last met!” The person who just came in turned to look at Seulgi and gave a smile. “Hi, Seulgi! I didn’t know that you’d be here!”

 

“Hi, Jisoo... I, uh... my visit was also unexpected.”

“Oh right, you two are the models. Wow, my friend is going to be famous,” said Yeri.

“No, I am not. I’m just helping!”

 

Jisoo turned to her cousin again and put both of her hands on Yeri’s cheeks. “Yerimie, are you free today? Let’s hang out! I have my free time today and I don’t know when I will have it again with my schedule these days!” She was asking with baby talk and Seulgi found it very cute. She even chuckled seeing the cousins’ interaction.

 

“That’s too bad that I can’t leave the store today! Aww, I really want to hang out with you.” Both of them pouted. “Hey, Yeri. I could look after the shop. I used to work here so you can trust me,” Seulgi volunteered. The youngest brightened up hearing the idea but then she remembered something. “Uh, actually I can’t leave the shop because... that someone I was going to tell you is coming today.”

 

“Who is this someone??” Jisoo’s eyes widened. “Are you currently dating someone?!”

“N-no...?” Yeri gulped. “Not... yet, maybe?”

“Seulgi, do you know about the ‘someone’ Yeri is talking about?” asked Jisoo and Seulgi shook her head. “I have to know who it is. Are you going to tell me?”

“Maybe later... I promise!”

“Ugh, what am I going to do now, then? I thought we could spend the day together.”

 

Jisoo looked very disappointed but she also knew that Yeri has a big interest in whoever the ‘someone’ was so she didn’t want to make her cousin to go out with her. She glanced at Seulgi who was still standing near the counter and gave a smile. “How about you? Are you free to go around with me today?”

 

Seulgi swore she could see a glimpse of Irene in Jisoo. Maybe because both of them were beautiful. They were cousins so it would be normal to see some resemblance in their features. But Irene... Irene was her own beauty. Seulgi couldn’t really compare her to someone else. The fox eyed girl nodded and smiled. “If you want me to accompany you today, I’d be glad to do so.” Little she knew, Yeri managed to make a little smile. She then tapped her cousin’s shoulder, “Now that you got a friend, you should spend the day doing fun things!” Yeri said with a wide grin on her face.

 

“Are you kicking me out of your shop?”

“Am I kicking you out of my shop? Yes, yes I am.”

“Oh my god! I thought you missed me?!” Jisoo gasped then let out a laugh along with Yeri. “Let’s go, Seulgi! Let’s have fun!”

 

And so the two of them left.

And Yeri checked her phon, smiling upon seeing a new message notification.

 

{ * * * }

 

Seulgi took Jisoo to the popular hangout places and lunch and the model was found enjoying herself. Jisoo also told her a lot of her life story and how much she missed things out. She was busy with her schedule and she couldn’t get much time to have fun just like what she was doing with Seulgi. Seulgi also accompanied Jisoo to a thrift shop and Seulgi learnt some new things about the model who grew fond of her. They had a good laugh, good time; all of which was very refreshing and relaxing. Jisoo asked Seulgi to take he rto the arcade and she agreed. Seulgi was glad because she could take her mind off of her thoughts for a while.

 

But, no, not really. Because the very person who invaded her mind everyday just called.

 

“Hello?”

“Seul—wow, it’s so noisy. Where are you?”

“I’m now outside at some arcade.”

“You’re hanging out with your friends?”

“No, I’m with Jisoo.”

“Jisoo...? Kim Jisoo?”

“Yeah, the model who is paired up with me.”

“Oh... you two got closer. That’s... that’s nice.”

“I guess we could get more chemistry from hanging out together. She’s really funny and it’s actually not hard to befriend her.”

“Yeah, she is...”

“So... what is it, Irene?”

“Uhh, never mind. It’s nothing. Have fun, Seulgi.”

“Err—okay, thanks.”

 

She sounded awkward but her heart beat fast. Hearing Irene’s voice again, it felt really good. But the thing with Bogum crossed her mind again and her expression completely changed. Jisoo who just won a small cat doll from claw machine wanted to share her winning but noticed her friend’s sad look. “Hey, Seulgi. Are you okay? Do you want this?” she handed the doll. Seulgi shook her head and smiled, “I’m fine. You can keep that. That’s your prize right? I’m impressed that you do well!”

 

Suddenly, out of the blue, Jisoo gave Seulgi a peck on the cheek. The taller girl gasped and looked at Jisoo, bewildered. “W-wha—”

 

“My aunt told me that giving a kiss on a cheek would make the person happy.”

“Your aunt...?”

“Irene’s mom. She also said that it’s a kind of saying gratitude. I’m very thankful that you accompany me and I also want to wipe away that sad face of yours, replace it with a brighter one.”

 

Seulgi took her time to process Jisoo’s word but then she understood. She also understood why Irene gave her kisses on the cheek. It turned out that the older girl got it from her mother. “Thanks, Jisoo. That really helped. Let’s continue the fun! I promise no more frowning!” Seulgi gave her a genuine smile and the model latched onto her, linking their arms and spent the day with some good time, good food, and good memories. Seulgi was comfortable. She was glad that Jisoo was actually a very humble and affectionate person.

 

But she should’ve also remembered that Kim Jisoo was a very famous model. Of course reporters followed her around for some news. They got it. In the evening, one of the news source leaked some photos of Jisoo and her hanging out plus the photo in which Jisoo kissed her. Yeri, Sooyoung, and Wendy flooded her chats and calls.

 

But no words from Irene. Nothing.

 

[ - - - ]

 

Irene was meeting up with Jennie when the news about Jisoo and Seulgi, described as an unknown girl in the articles, came out. Her expression changed drastically and she stopped eating her meal. “Bae Joohyun, please finish your plate. I paid for that since it’s been a while from the last time we hang out,” said Jennie before getting more of her pasta. “Have you check the news?” asked Irene with her eyes glued to her phone screen.

 

“No, not yet. What’s in there?”

“Jisoo.”

“What’s with her? She’s often on the news.”

“Seulgi.”

“Seulgi? Kang Seulgi?”

“They went on a date.”

“Huh? Maybe they just want to be more comfortable with each other. Besides, they’re modelling up together in your project, right?”

“That’s what Seulgi told me but Jisoo kissed her.”

“Say what now?” Jennie put down her fork and took Irene’s phone to check her friend’s word with her own eyes. “Wow... she did. Well, you did too.”

“That’s not—that’s different!”

“Are you jealous?”

 

Irene didn’t answer. She couldn’t explain what she felt. Something inside her just felt... awful. It felt like her blood rushed to her head and then her face reddened, not with a good connotation. “Irene, are you?” asked Jennie again. Irene retrieved her phone back and in a speed she has never used before, she looked up for Jisoo’s number and called her.

 

“Kim Jisoo.”

“Bae Joohyun.”

“What did you do with Seulgi?”

“You saw the news? We just had a date!

Irene’s heart sank at the word ‘date’. “You... her—you...”

“Yeah, I did kiss her. She said she liked it. Thankfully the press didn’t catch more of them!”

Irene went completely silent.

“Hello? You there?”

“Do you like her?”

“Of course, I like her a lot! She said she likes me too. We’re going to hang out often and I’m going to adjust my schedule for it. I also need some fun, you know?”

“I’ll talk to you later.”

 

Just like that, Irene hung up the phone and she felt like throwing away her plate. Her expression darkened and Jennie, of course noticed that. “Irene, what did she say?” But Irene gave no answer to Jennie. The younger reached out for her friend’s hand and gave some pats. “Hey there, you can tell me.” When Irene looked up to Jennie, her eyes were teary and she was frowning. Her heart was thumping but every beat hurt her. “Jisoo... doesn’t adjust her schedule just for anyone and yet she said she would do it for Seulgi. Seulgi liked Jisoo’s kisses. Seulgi likes... she likes her, Jen.” Irene’s voice trembled. She didn’t know why in the world her reaction was so bad.

 

Why can’t you realize that you like her, Irene? Jennie thought. Instead of thinking out loud, she offered Irene a ride to Seulgi’s place. Maybe they needed to talk. Irene hesitated for a while but she agreed that she had to meet Seulgi. Something told her that she had to ask Seulgi in person.

 

And so some time later, Irene found herself at the doorstep of Kang Seulgi’s apartment.

 

[ - - - ]

 

“Do you want anything to drink?” Seulgi asked as she headed to the kitchen. “I was about to finish making my hot chocolate.”

“No..., it’s fine.”

 

“Okay... wait, I...” then there was a snap sound of a camera and Irene turned around to see Seulgi taking a picture of her hot chocolate and not her. She should be glad of it but why did she felt the opposite? “You take pictures of your food now?” asked Irene. Seulgi gave her a smile as she shook her head. “Nah, I just sent it to Jisoo. She showed me a picture of the green-tea latte she’s having,” said the girl who was on her phone, sending some messages. At the mention of her cousin’s name, Irene got restless.

 

“What made you come here?” Seulgi finally sat beside Irene after placing her glass of hot chocolate on the table.

Irene took a deep breath and encouraged herself. She had to ask. “You and Jisoo, actually.”

“Uh... what about us?”

Us, huh? Us to refer you and Jisoo? “Jisoo said that you guys had a date.”

“...so you saw the news. Well... we kind of did. I told you about it too earlier today.”

“But I didn’t think that it was really a date.”

“What about it? What’s with having a date or not?”

“You... you can’t... date her.”

Seulgi’s eyes widened at Irene’s words. She looked at the older girl, dazed.

“You can’t date her. It’s—”

“But you can date Bogum.”

“What? He has nothing to do with this.”

“Yeah, sure. So I can’t date Jisoo and you can date Bogum. Why?”

“Can we... can we not talk about Bogum?”

 

Seulgi turned to Irene and gave her a look of disbelief. “Tell me, then. Why can’t I date Jisoo? She likes me, I also like her.” Irene swore her heart dropped upon hearing Seulgi. “You... do you like her?” Irene asked and somehow she was concerned, very much concerned with what Seulgi’s answer might be. “I like her.” Both of them looked dead serious but Irene wished Seulgi was not serious at all. “Do you like her the way you like me?” she finally asked.

 

“That’s not a fair question.”

“Why is it not?”

“It isn’t! I can like her the way I like you but then you’re going to tell me that I can’t do that, right? Since when do you take control of my feelings?”

“So you do like her that way? And what about you liking me? Was it all just a fling now that you have met Jisoo? Was it?!” Irene stood up and was pissed.

“You know that I like you but then you get back together with Bogum!” Seulgi also stood up to match with Irene’s gaze. “Right in front of me! Do you know how I feel about that?! I’ve heard about your thing with Bogum. Why didn’t you just tell me that you were waiting for him all along?!”

“I was not waiting for him!”

“And yet you’re together now! You’re with someone else and I can’t like someone else? You’re being selfish!”

“Why don’t you just listen to me?! I was not waiting for him, Seulgi! I am not dating him!”

“How am I suppose to believe that when you look perfect with each other?! I can’t bear seeing you together, if I have to be honest. Don’t you ever think about me? I’m standing in front of you, wearing my feeling up on my sleeves and you know that really well and yet you went with him! Why can’t I go with Jisoo?!”

“But how can you go from liking someone to someone else just like that?! Doesn’t that proof that your feelings were actually not real?! You were playing with me! I thought you were sincerely liking me!”

“I’m not the one who was playing, you are! You played with my feelings, Irene!”

“I did—”

“Stop!”

 

Seulgi looked away. Both girls had their fist clenched. It was a way from them to keep steady because both hearts were aching. They didn’t listen to each other. They threw whatever they had in their minds. The pain got them on the edge of tearing up. Not just tearing up, breaking down as well. “Just... stop,” Seulgi whimpered. She couldn’t look at Irene. The older girl couldn’t look at Seulgi as well. Instead she looked down and trying hard to hold back her tears. “I... I just... leave.” Irene whispered.

 

The next thing heard were footsteps and the door opened and closed. Seulgi sat back down on the couch with both hands covering her face, sobbing, crying her heart out. She was in pain. As for Irene, she cried in Jennie’s arm who then took her right home. She didn’t have the energy to do anything else but wanting to cry the pain away until she felt her body lighter and she went asleep with her eyes and pillow wet from tears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And how will they react when they have to see each other again?

 

{ * * * }

 

It was the second photoshoot and Seulgi had prepared herself to meet Irene. She might not want to talk to the raven haired girl just yet, but at least she might flash a smile. Jisoo came early and gave Seulgi a hug. That was when Irene stepped inside the studio with Bogum and his all-smiley face. Seulgi went to the dressing room as quick as she could. It turned out that she still couldn’t bear it. Jisoo exchanged glances with Irene and then followed Seulgi and found her friend closing her eyes and clenching her fistful hands. She put her own hand gently on top of Seulgi’s until she opened her eyes.

 

“It’ll be okay. If you’re ready, you can start talking to her again.”

“But she hates me, Jisoo. She thinks that I played with her feelings.”

“She... she had a kind of complicated love stories in the past. The one with Bogum was not very clear to me since Irene didn’t talk about it. But she said that she was not dating him, yes?”

“That’s... that’s what she said.”

“Just so you know, Irene’s an honest person. What she said might be true.”

“But...”

“Go talk to her. I’ll help you. Okay?”

 

It turned out that Seulgi has talked to Jisoo about what happened at the night Irene came to her place. Jisoo seemed to understand the situation and has been encouraging Seulgi to make things up with Irene. If none of the started first, they wouldn’t see the end of it; be it good or bad. So with Jisoo’s words on her mind, she tried to talk to Irene but her lips just wouldn’t part to say something. Seemed like she had lost her voice every time she was five feet away from Irene. And suddenly Seulgi had to go posing with Jisoo. Time flew really fast. After some directions given from the photographer, Seulgi appeared to be more casual. Irene noticed and thought that maybe it was the effect of dating the other model. She couldn’t bear watching so she tried to leave the set to the next room.

 

“Where are you going?” asked Bogum.

“Don’t mind me,” said Irene as she walked away.

But Bogum followed her.

 

They went at the exact same time when the shooting took a break for a few minutes. Seulgi went to dressing room and took her camera out. She asked Jisoo whether she would want to be her model like what they did in their first photoshoot. “I get to pose as funny as I can, right?” Jisoo asked and Seulgi nodded. “Oh, this is gonna be fun! But don’t you dare leaking the photos to the press!” Seulgi laughed at Jisoo’s warning. “Why would I even do that? I’ll just make a poster of it and put it up on my car door,” she teased. “Oooh! You’re the worst!” Both of them laughed and they went to the next room where they could take the pictures since the room was empty.

 

Or they thought it was empty.

 

“Why are you holding back, Rene?”

“Go away, Bogum!”

 

Seulgi heard it and her heart felt as if it was stung when she heard ‘Rene’. She thought it would be just her who called Irene with that nickname. “Get off of me!” Now that sentence got Seulgi on alert mode. She turned to Jisoo who looked at her with a troubled look. “Hold my camera, Jisoo,” she whispered as she handed her camera over. “I said no!” Again, Irene’s voice was clearly heard by the two of them who stood in front of the door. Seulgi abruptly opened the door and found Irene cornered, leaned to the wall, one hand on Bogum’s shoulder as if she tried to push him away, and Bogum with his hand on Irene’s waist and the other one holding Irene’s other arms up so she couldn’t move, and face leaning closer to Irene. But Irene looked away and closed her eyes tightly.

 

Both Seulgi and Jisoo was shocked upon witnessing the scene. However Seulgi was glad because this time she came at the right time. When Bogum realized the two other girls, he was too late. Seulgi quickly pushed him away from Irene which caused both Irene and Bogum fell but she managed to pulled Irene away from Bogum fast. “Stay behind me,” and that was not a request.

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Bogum shouted.

“What the hell do you thin you’re doing?! She said no!” Seulgi snapped back right at him.

“She’s my girlfriend! I can do whatever I want!”

“She’s not your girlfriend! Even if she is, she is a person with her own rights to say no! You can’t force her!”

“Oh, off!”

 

Bogum walked fast, closing the distance between him and Seulgi. When he was about to swing his hand, aiming for a good slap on Seulgi’s face, he was not as fast as the sound of the camera held by Jisoo. “Look what we have here. I bet the people would love to see their new sensation becomes even more famous!” Jisoo smirked. It seemed like the crews heard about the ruckus and went to check on them.

 

“Is everything alright?” asked the assistant director.

 

Bogum couldn’t do anything but quickly lowered his hand and tried to maintain a calm countenance, which made the three girls sick. “We’re good,” he said with a smile. “So can we go on with the photoshoot?”

 

“I’m sorry but Irene’s not feeling so well. I have to get her home.” Seulgi said while holding Irene’s hand. The older girl looked at her worriedly. Why are you lying... for me? she asked. But of course, Seulgi wouldn’t hear that. “So do we have to reschedule?” asked the assistant director again. “Maybe later after Irene feels better,” add Jisoo who was being very helpful, “now go take her home, Seulgi. It might get worse if she stays. Oh, and may I borrow your camera? I found it very interesting!”

 

“Sure, Jisoo. Anything for my friend. Now please excuse us.”

 

Seulgi took Irene with her and after taking her belongings, she and Irene went to her car and drove off the studio. Bogum, he dealt with Jisoo and Jisoo was not someone he could easily push away. His reputation was at stake with Jisoo and the camera.

 

In the way back to Irene’s place, it was all quiet. Seulgi let the silence lingered because she knew Irene needed to take her time. When they have reached the apartment building, Seulgi accompanied Irene until both of them got into her place and she was a little surprised when Irene started the conversation first with a question whose answer was very obvious. Irene should've known without even asking Seulgi.

 

“You... saved me and even lied for me. Why? I thought you hate me now after I—”

“Irene, I don’t hate you. When you left my place that night I realized that I don’t like you. I love you. I love you too much.”

 

 

 

 

What was not obvious was what Irene going to do after Seulgi answered her question. Seulgi felt her body melting but also stiffen. She felt like the world spun fast but time stopped. When she held Irene’s, she felt like she was holding the universe. She shut her eyes like Irene did. She needed to breathe but her air supply was cut because she had to share it with the most beautiful girl who stole her heart. The next thing she knew was that when there was sense of cold air, she made it warm again. She didn’t care if she had to breathe in the air Irene breathed out. What she cared about was that she was kissing the girl she was in love with and the girl kissed her back. Both of them closed their eyes and took their time. They need it to heal their broken hearts.