Irene - All Right

Title

“Seriously?! Why aren’t any of these plans working?!” Irene scolded her team she supervised. They’ve been all over the place, unlike how they usually did things. She got stressed out. She thought that the bad news of not being selected for the fall project was bad enough. It was getting worse and she started to get a headache. “I’m not taking a ‘no’ nor ‘cannot’. You guys have to make better and neater proposals by Wednesday. Why are you guys like this?!”

 

All of her team went silent and looked down. Irene sighed and stared at the window. She felt stuffed, suffocated. Things weren’t going so well and she really needed an escape. “I have a meeting in thirty minutes and what am I supposed to tell the floor?” she asked with annoyance but also felt defeated by how bad luck got her throughout the week.

 

“We’re sorry, Ms. Bae.”

 

Irene took her files, tab, and then she stood up, followed by the rest of the people in the room. “You’re dismissed,” she said and walked out the room, followed by her assistant. “Nayeon, please tell me that I don’t have any schedule on Saturday.” That was not a question and Nayeon quickly searched through her notes and sighed in relief. “No schedule for you, Miss. However, Manager Go expected you to call someone that would team up with you for a new project.” Nayeon explained.

 

“I’ll postpone it until Monday. Prepare for the next meeting. Let’s hope there won’t be any mess there.”

 

Well, it was not exactly her who got a problem during the meeting. Wendy was hesitant about the fall project because the model was very demanding. Irene suggested to change the model and pick someone else, but that idea was objected by the board since they have already made an agreement with the model. Irene patted Wendy’s back when the meeting was over.

 

Back in her office, Irene made a call to Yeri.

 

“Yerim-ah, are you busy this weekend?”

“Why? Are you feeling lonely?”

“Yaa! Forget it!” then she heard Yeri’s laugh.

“I’m sorry, sorry. What is it?”

“I need to go... somewhere. I need to go relaxing. Any idea?”

“Do you want to go to the spa and get a feet massage?”

“No,” she sighed, “not that kind of relaxing. I want to do something so I can... breathe.”

“Well... hmm, fishing?”

“Are you crazy, Kim Yerim? How does that even help me breathe?”

“Right, okay. Uhm, I don’t know? Why don’t you ask Seulgi?”

“Eh? Why Seulgi?” Irene raised her left eyebrow.

“I thought you guys got closer now? She told me that she became your model. I guess things are going well between the two of you.”

“Oh... yeah, well. I don’t want to disturb her though. Why can’t you just give me an idea and go with me like we used to do?”

“I’m soooo sorry! I can’t this weekend. I just remember that I have made appoinments.”

“Hh, now look who’s busy.”

 

Irene always asked Yeri if she wanted to run from her duties or work. Yeri always gave her good ideas and they would spend some time away from their stress and just laugh the world off. It was somehow disappointing when Yeri said that she couldn’t help her this time. Irene was a bit hesitant when she tapped Seulgi’s contact and tried to call her. Who knew? Maybe she had a client?

 

And, yeah, Seulgi didn’t pick up. Somehow, Irene got even more disappointed.

 

[To Yelm: She didn’t answer my call]

[From Yelm: Try again!]

[To Yelm: Seriously. She might be busy]

 

Then a call went it. Irene was taken aback but then smiled.

 

[To Yelm: Nevermind]

 

“Seulgi? I’m so sorry. I interrupted you, didn’t I?”

“N-no! Not at all! What is it? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, thanks for asking... it’s really nice to hear.”

“You’re welcome, Irene. What is it? Do you want to order some flowers?”

“Um, can I contact you without having flowers as the reason?”

“Ehh... modelling?”

“That too.”

 

There was long pause. Irene could imagine that Seulgi was trying to guess why she called her. Irene smiled at the thought. She could even seen Seulgi’s expression in her head. “...me?” Seulgi asked. Irene chuckled and let out a relieved sigh. “Actually, it’s because of me. I kind of want to have some... relax time, away from work stuff. Do you have any idea?”

 

“O-of course it’s you! Yes, umm... relax...”

“Yes, Seulgi. Why did you stutter?”

“N-no.. I’m just... I’m sorry for being too... confident.”

“I like confidence. That’s fine, really.”

 

Seulgi ended up giving Irene some recommendations but none of them pleased Irene. The latter huffed and almost ended the call with a thank you but then Seulgi made a surprising excalamtion. “W-what is it?” Irene asked after she jolted because of Seulgi’s sudden ‘AH!’. “I do have an idea. You better prepare some... home outfits. Ugh, what do you call it? Outfits you wear at home. That.”

 

“May I ask for what...?”

“Um, no. I’ll show you later, okay? Trust me! You do trust me, right?”

“I do... but.. it’s not something scary, right?”

“Definitely not! I’ll see you tomorrow noon, okay?”

“Okay... just call me, you know, whenever... well, I’ll just depend on you about this.”

“Don’t worry! I have a very good plan!”

 

And with that she ended the call. Even though she really didn’t know what Seulgi had in mind, she tried to keep thinking positively. Irene had told the younger about things that she disliked so she believed that Seulgi would take those into consideration about what they were about to have the next day.

{ * * * }

“Tadaaaaa!”

 

Seulgi appeared with her hair let loose and denim outfits. What she brought along with her widened Irene’s eyes. Her jaw almost dropped looking at a mini van and she didn’t know what to say, think, nor do. Irene blinked a few times then turned her stare to Seulgi who smiled brightly. “It’s pretty, right? I borrowed it from my friend!” she boasted. Irene still couldn’t believe that Seulgi could drive a mini van. It was a car but... bigger. “Here! Let me take your bag!” Seulgi walked closer and got Irene’s bag then put it inside from the back door. Irene took a close look at the front seats of the van.

 

“You... drive this?”

“Uhuh,” that was followed with sounds of two doors being closed. “It’s just like cars!”

“B-but isn’t it... bigger? I mean could you reach the pedal? Can the driver’s seat be adjusted?”

“Don’t worry! I have.. umm, somewhat long legs.”

“Are you telling me that I’m short?”

 

Irene an annoyed face and pose but then she laughed because Seulgi laughed at her words. She only meant it as a joke and she was relieved that Seulgi got it too. “Can I trust you on driving this, Seulgi?” she asked carefully before getting into the passenger’s seat. Her question was answered with two excited nods. “Yes, you can. I’ll take you to a place you’ll enjoy.”

 

Seulgi’s words were kept by Irene with a smile. She trusted Seulgi and assured herself that everything would be just fine. After Irene sat on her seat, she looked back and noticed that the spaces that should’ve been the backseats were replace with stuff covered by a big black cloth. “What’s that?” she asked the younger who had just started the engine. “Oh? It’s a surprise! Your bag is under the cloth too, don’t worry.”

 

The younger hummed along the way to the unknown destination. Irene took a glance at the calm and happy Seulgi as she typed some texts for Jennie. Something on Jennie’s text got Irene quite confused. “Hey, Seulgi, is it really okay that you spend your time with me? I mean, it’s weekend. Maybe you had another appointment before you agreed on helping me.” The girl who was questioned turned to Irene and then to the road. She lifted up her chin a little and shook her head. “I don’t see why it’s not okay. I mean.. I really... I really enjoy it whenever we hang out even if it’s just dinner.”

 

The answer gave Irene a relieved feeling and she said thank you. She continued typing. [Jen, she said she doesn’t mind. She’s a really nice person and I’m so thankful that I met her.] Irene thought that Jennie would reply the chat some time after but she got a beep on her phone a few seconds after her last message.

 

[From Jen: Thought so. She likes you. I hope you two will get closer and keep on being happy.]

[To Jen: Well, I like her too. She’s so easygoing! I hope that she could continue to be my model. I’ve never been this friendly and treated this friendly by my models.]

[From Jen: Oh my God, Bae Joohyun]

 

And that was it. Irene replied Jennie’s chat with a ‘what?’ but her best friend didn’t reply. Irene asked again but Jennie didn’t even read it. In the end, she just shut her phone down and decided to enjoy the ride. “Irene, would you like some music?” asked Seulgi. The latter turned to her and gave a smile. “Sure, why not?” She turned the radio on and was very much startled when a loud rock music suddenly started. It must have been the chorus part.

 

“MY GOODNESS I AM SO SORRY!” Seulgi quickly ejected the CD from the player and put it somewhere safe.

“I-is that yours?”

“N-no! No! T-that is not mine! I-it’s my friend. Oh my god!”

Irene chuckled because of the absurdity. “It’s okay... let’s just listen to the radio.”

 

Both of them sang along when the radio played the recent pop songs. Irene found out that Seulgi has a beautiful voice. She praised her and the girl blushed as always. “Can you please hold yourself from being cute?” Irene asked, teasing Seulgi. “My cheeks hurt because I smile a lot seeing the pink hue on yours.” Seulgi was flustered and stuttered even more when she explained that she couldn’t control her blushing.

 

“Y-you’re the one who’s cute! R-really... really cute... and beautiful.”

 

The confession affected Irene. She was the one who blushed. Somehow it felt like when someone confessed to you in kindergarten times. “T-thanks,” she said as she turned her face away from Seulgi so the younger wouldn’t notice her expression. She smiled. She was happy, but she didn’t know why she was really happy over Seulgi’s words. She has heard a lot of compliment on her looks. Seulgi’s was somehow felt more... real, sincere. She’s a really nice girl, Irene thought.

{ * * * }

After a few hours of driving, they arrived at the destination. Irene was asleep so Seulgi shook her a little and startled the girl. “Oh my, you, God, scared me,” she said incoherently while starting to look around. “Are we there yet? Where are we?” she asked while gaining her consciousness and fixing her bangs.

 

“We are here, Irene. I hope I surprise you.” Seulgi’s smile didn’t threatened Irene but she was still... insecure. However, as soon as she got off the van, she was awed by what she saw. She was awed after learning where they were exactly.

 

“Tadaaaa!” That was the second one and Irene couldn’t help but smile at the girl. “Special day for Irene Bae! Featuring Kang Seulgi!” The next second, she couldn’t control her body moves. What she knew then was that Seulgi froze but Irene felt her temperature was really warm. How could she know?

 

She hugged Seulgi. Tight.

 

 

 


 

Oh my God, I'm so sorry it's so lame :((