Irene - My Dear

Title

The first thing Irene would not want to hear in the morning was rejection. That got her mood ruined throughout the day. After the last meeting, she sat on her chair and massaged the side of her temple lightly. Slowly, her jaw moved right and left. She let her upper and lower teeth met and greeted back and forth. Everything’s not going well, she thought to herself. She glanced at her phone on the table and decided that she wouldn’t touch it. At least not until she calmed herself down.

 

She promised Seulgi that she would call if her project was selected. The reality hit and for the first time, Irene felt very disappointed. The board director said that Seulgi was still raw; too raw. She needed experience before being the cover of their magazine. Irene thought and said otherwise. Seulgi was just perfect for the concept that she had in mind. Now everything just slipped out.

 

Knock, knock. Knocks at the door made Irene’s glare shot directly to anyone who dared to disturb her. It was her assistant, Im Nayeon, who shyly and, when she came to the realization to Irene’s death glare, carefully entered the room. “I’m sorry to interrupt you, Miss Bae. Someone from the flower shop has arrived. Would you like me to let her in?” asked Nayeon.

 

“Flower shop?”

 

Ah… she remembered that she ordered a new flower carnation for her desk decoration. Of course she expected Yeri. She didn’t think that Seulgi was the one who entered the room and gave her widened eyes with a jolt from her seat. “Seulgi!” Irene was happy to see Seulgi again. On the other hand, she was also confused. What should I say?

 

“Hi, Irene! I’m sorry I came here without notice.”

“It’s fine. Where is Yeri anyway?”

“She’s busy with orders at the shop. Someone booked a lot of flower carnations for an event.”

 

Irene smiled as she understood the problem. She came closer and took the flowers from Seulgi. “Thanks, Seulgi. I’m really glad that you helped my cousin.” Irene turned her back as she started arranging the flower in the vase on her desk. “Are you busy? Do you still need to do some delivery or errands at the shop?” I have to tell her now. Irene did not know when she would get another chance to talk without her hesitating first.

 

“Umm, no. This is the last delivery.”

“Would you mind to wait for me for a while in the lobby? I’ll be there in 10 minutes.”

“E-eh? Do you want to visit the flower shop?”

“No, I need to talk to you. Is it okay to take public transportation?”

“I, um, I actually bring my car.”

 

Irene blinked. When she was about to ask whether Seulgi really had a car or not, she remembered their conversation after Seulgi’s photoshoot. Irene asked a lot about Seulgi’s life and the girl didn’t seem to mind and told her excitedly. She remembered that Seulgi told a story on how she got her driver’s license. After a series of scratching and crashing the car, Seulgi finally got it. So, the latter gave the younger a smile.

 

“Alright then. We’ll take your car.”

 

Though Seulgi didn’t seem to understand why Irene wanted to talk to her, she just nodded and left the room to wait in the lobby. Irene let out a sigh. She didn’t know how to tell Seulgi that her project got rejected and she couldn’t make Seulgi the cover girl. Irene gave her a hope and a really good opportunity, but she also failed to actually give it to Seulgi. She had to keep her professionalism. Situation like that must have had happened to a lot of people. At least that was what Irene wanted to believe. So, she must tell Seulgi.

 

When she took the elevator, she smiled remembering how Seulgi really had a bright and positive personality. It would be very nice to work with her. The image of Seulgi laughing because of her joke on their dinner night got Irene smiling. The next second, she tried to hide it because other people greeted her as they got into the elevator as well.

 

Irene got off hurrying herself. She was worried that Seulgi might have waited too long. However, the sight of the girl laughing with someone else got her eyebrows moved up. Irene didn’t know that Seulgi knew Wendy. She didn’t really know what they were talking about and she didn’t want to know. Wendy got the project and she was still in a bad mood even though she was actually proud of her junior.

 

“Seulgi,” Irene called.

 

Her steps were light because she made it so. She threw a smile to both Seulgi and Wendy. The next second, she linked her hand with Seulgi’s and the taller girl seemed surprised. “Hi, Wendy. Congratulation for today. Are you going home?” she asked. She also felt Seulgi’s hand fidgeting but she kept holding it; tighter even. “Thank you! I am going home but I have a dinner appointment. You know Seulgi, Irene?” asked Wendy with a happy expression. Irene was confused but she didn’t let it show.

 

“Yeah, she is my model.”

“Ah, so that’s why you’re here!”

“N-no.. I mean, I told you I delivered Irene’s flower. That’s why I’m here.” Seulgi stuttered a little.

“We need to go now. Right, Seulgi?”

“O-oh… yeah. It was nice to see you, Wendy.”

“It was nice for me too! Let’s meet again later! Dinner?”

 

Irene tighten her grip on Seulgi’s hand. Seulgi somehow noticed Irene’s gesture then looked at her, then back to Wendy. “M-maybe next week? I have schedule throughout the week.” The blonde girl seemed fine with the idea and let the two of them left first to the parking lot. Irene was still holding onto Seulgi’s hand and that got Seulgi nervous while Irene felt just fine.

 

“Where do you want to go?” Seulgi asked. “Anywhere. Just take me for a drive, if you don’t mind.” Irene gave a smile. As soon as the beep sound of the car, alarming that the door was then unlocked, Irene let go of Seulgi’s hand.

{ * * * }

“Seulgi, I’m so sorry.”

“No, Irene. Don’t be. It really is okay. I mean, I know that I’m not good in modelling. I should be the one who is apologizing.”

“I shouldn’t have pushed you to do it. I feel bad.”

“Hey, I’m okay. I just wanted to help you. We’re still friends even though I don’t become your model, right?”

“Well, I do still think that you are my model.”

“O-oh… well, if you want to think that way.”

 

They were in the highway and Irene took a glance outside the window. It was pretty but somehow the hectic world she had got on her nerves. She looked at Seulgi who was also taking a glance at her. Irene smiled because Seulgi looked so adorable she was flustered or blushing. Then, she remembered their—actually Seulgi’s—encounter with Wendy. “How did you know Wendy?” Irene asked. She didn’t really like the idea that her work competitor knew her model. Wendy might try to make Seulgi her model when Irene was the one who found her.

 

“Oh, I actually don’t know her. We just met.”

Irene raised her eyebrows again. “You just met?”

“Yeah. I accidentally bumped on her and helped getting the belongings. She kind of interrogated me because I didn’t have my visitor pass on me. It was in my pocket.” She explained how Wendy was very suspicious at her and almost talked to the security guard. “When she asked my name, she was surprised. I confirmed that I’m Kang Seulgi, her new girlfriend’s best friend. Then we started talking about my best friend.”

 

At Seulgi’s explanation, Irene felt relieved. She washed away the tense expression on her face with a smile. “Is there something funny?” Seulgi asked. Irene shook her head but she still smiled. “It was just like a meeting in a TV drama.” Irene commented. Seulgi hit her own thigh and cheered, “Right! I thought about that as well! Life is funny.”

 

“The world sure is small.”

“It’s okay, it makes us closer.”

 

Irene turned her head to look at Seulgi who just made a very smooth reply from her comment. “Are we getting closer?” Irene asked with a playful smirk. She noticed that Seulgi started to stutter and explained herself again. “Don’t get me wrong. I’d like to get close to you.” She faced the front and looked calm. She pretended that she didn’t see Seulgi’s stare and smile.

{ * * * }

It was almost 8 PM and they just got the parking lot of Irene’s apartment. Irene has not get off even after she has unbuckled her seatbelt. Seulgi was confused of what to say as well. Then, suddenlt, Irene reached out to Seulgi’s hand and that made the younger looked at her in confusion. “I-is there something wrong?”

 

“Seulgi, would you still help me in the future?”

“You mean become your model again?”

“Yes. I’m sorry but I’m really persistent. You’re just…”

“Of course.”

“Eh?”

 

Now both of them are face to face. Seulgi gave her eye-smiles and that warmed her heart. Seulgi was a really kind friend and she thanked Yeri for asking her help the other day when she met Seulgi. “I would help you with anything. If I can do it, I’ll do it.” Seulgi stated and made Irene smiled. “Thank you, Seulgi. I… really owe you a lot.”

 

“You owe me nothing, Irene. Besides, I wouldn’t let a beautiful damsel in distress. Of course I’ll help.”

 

That got Irene laughing. Seulgi has given her some cheesy lines too before. She found it cute and very entertaining. Seulgi was a really fun person to talk to and Irene felt like she didn’t have to pretend to be nice because Seulgi was really nice. Of course she would be nice to people who are nice to her. “Oh, dear. You’re something, Kang Seulgi.” Irene patted Seulgi’s hand and finally opened the door.

 

“Have a relaxing rest, Irene. Don’t get too stressed up, okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Good night, Seulgi.”

“Good night.”

 

Irene could see Seulgi’s bright smile and happiness through her expression. “You really look like a very cute bear,” she said under her breath when Seulgi’s car has reached the main road. Irene shook her head, still smiling. She went up and tried to cheer herself up.