Somethin Kinda Crazy

Title

Sound of high heels were heard nervously towards the meeting room. The people there were the higher ups of the magazine where Irene worked in. The young woman always greeted them with a smile and of course she got the same responses. After she took her seat at the end of the long table, another heels sound broke into the room and a loud ‘Good day’ caught Irene’s competitive side.

 

It was Wendy Son, her co-worker who was younger than her. She took Irene’s title of the youngest elite staff. They maintained a good relationship because Wendy was always nice to everyone. If there was not anyone who annoyed her, Irene wouldn’t do anything but do good to them. It was just that because she and Wendy were up to the same project she got a little more competitive.

 

“Ms. Bae, Ms. Son. So how are you progress about the fall project? We need to find the right model for the cover and some of our articles.” The board director asked them.

 

Both Irene and Wendy exchanged glances. “Please, you may go first,” Irene said as she leaned her back to look more relaxed. The girl with dirty blonde hair spoke up and told how she had found a model but the model had not given her a follow up regarding the confirmation. The director nodded. “How about the concept? Have you chosen?”

 

“About that, I have chosen to show the streets near Han River. The model would blend in with the crowd on the street adorned with fallen leaves at daylight.” Wendy explained with a bright smile.

 

Irene was satisfied with how her junior accelerate. They’ve known each other for three years. Irene gave the younger a smile. That was when her phone rang. The clock showed 1 PM and an unknown number showed up on her screen. “Excuse me,” she excused herself from the room and picked up.

 

“Hello?”

“H-hello…? Is this Irene Bae?”

“Kang Seulgi? You keep your promise!”

“Uh, yeah. You said it was important. What is it? Did I help?”

“Well, you’d be more helpful if you say yes.”

“Yes…? What should I agree with?”

“Taking some photos with me.”

“Taking photos? Why didn’t you just tell me back at the shop?”

“Let’s say that I have my own strategy, okay? So what do you say, Seulgi?”

“I can do that. Tonight?”

“No, not tonight. I’ll tell you more about it later on our dinner. I’ll text you later about the time and place.”

“O-oh okay, then. It’s not somewhere fancy, right? I mean, can I come with my comfortable outfit?”

“Sure, Seulgi. I’m really looking forward for tonight. I have to hang up now.”

“Okay. I’ll see you tonight!”

 

After she made sure that the call has ended, Irene went back into the room with a bigger smile on her face. “I’m so sorry. My model just called me and said that she would love to.” Irene reported as she sat back on her seat. She looked at Wendy who was looking at her with awe. “Really?” ask the girl. “That’s a great news, Senior Bae!”

 

“Who is it? An idol?” asked the chief’s assistant.

“She’s a new bloomer. I met her not long ago,” two days ago to be exact, “and I got the feeling that she would fit perfectly.”

“If she’s new, we should see her portfolio first. Would you mind giving it to me at the end of the week?” asked the director. “Ms. Tae will decide whether she’ll be a good fit as you said or not.”

 

Irene agreed. She knew that it was crazy to make Seulgi as the cover girl of the magazine. She was an ordinary girl and yet Irene saw something in her. “Of course, Mr. Go. I’ll give the portfolio by the end of the week.” The meeting continued with Irene smiling like she just got a prize. It was still early to decide, but she had a good feeling about it.

[ - - - ]

Seulgi tied her hair into a bun. She checked her bangs. She checked her make-up—just light and natural make up but she didn’t want to look as if she was bare-faced. “Okay…” she said and sighed afterwards. “You’re having dinner with Irene Bae, Seulgi. That’s crazy.” She often talked to herself to help her calm.

 

Yeah, the girl was nervous. Irene was so beautiful and Seulgi didn’t want to embarrass her because Irene was going to go out with her. Going out in the meaning of… just, go out of the house and have dinner. Not going out = together = together. Words are so confusing.

 

She already got the location and it was 45 minutes before the assigned time. Seulgi look at her face. “Do I look okay?” Again, she asked herself. This time while patting bout of her cheeks. At least she thought she looked decent. She wore a long checker t-shirt, ed, and a white shirt inside with denim blue jeans. Her small sling-bag was still laying around somewhere while Seulgi looked for it like crazy.

 

“Oh my god, there you are!” With that, she left her place and rushed to the restaurant in a cab.

 

The place was not that fancy but still kind of popular. Seulgi had been there a few times. She didn’t know that Irene would choose that place. It was famous for their European dish in a smaller size so that they could order more than one dish and they would fit the plate perfectly. She walked in and spotted that Irene was already there in a plain blue t-shirt, black jeans and black boots. That style of Irene Bae got Seulgi stunned as well. She was right. Every look fit Irene.

 

“Hi, am I late?”

“Seulgi! No, no. I’m just a little early. I got us some juice if you don’t mind.”

“Oh, of course it’s fine. I don’t mind.”

“You look great. How was your day?”

“You look beautiful.”

 

Seulgi gave Irene a smile while the latter gave her a low chuckle. She stared at Irene for a while and her smile was still plastered there. Irene did look beautiful and Seulgi just couldn’t take her eyes off of her. “Kang Seulgi, do I look weird?” asked Irene while tilting her head. God, so cute. “No, no. You look beautiful, as I said.” That got Irene frowned a little. “Then why didn’t you answer me? How was your day?”

 

“Oh… oh!” Seulgi finally got on her consciousness again and blinked a few times. “My day… mine was so-so. Nothing really happened.” This time, Irene smiled and looked pleased. “Really? Then why are you smiling so much?” That caught Seulgi red handed, again, and she quickly glanced aside. “Am I? I am? Uh.. no, no.. nothing in particular.”

 

Liar, Irene thought while she smiled.

 

“Could you order us some food and then we talk. Hmm?” Irene offered and she pushed the menu book to Seulgi. “What would you like to eat?” Seulgi asked as she scanned the menu. “Anything. Just something light and not too greasy.”

 

First, Seulgi looked confused because she didn’t want to order something Irene didn’t like. She played it safe with a skewered dish from Greece plus salad. They chatted a lot while waiting for the food and after eating. Mostly about Yeri because Irene always liked to talk about her cousin. Seulgi enjoyed the conversation and found out that Irene treated Yeri like her own sister because she didn’t have any sibling.

 

“I have a brother. He’s in the military now.”

“Are you close to each other?”

“Yeah, kind of. He’s an easy going person and I always enjoy it every time he asked me to go out and have some fun. He introduced me to some of his friends too and they help me a lot just like my brother.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes were sparkling as she talked about her brother. She caught Irene’s attention at her and quickly laughed out of embarrassment. “Having a sibling must really nice. Sometimes I feel lonely and envy Yeri with her sisters. She got to have a lot of fun with them and acts like they’re friends.” Irene said, looking a little sad.

 

“I-I can be your friend.” Seulgi blurted out. She blinked. She knew Irene’s stare meant that she just said something stupid. She was about to apologize when Irene patted the back of her hand. “We are friends already.” She swore that Irene’s smile made her blushed. She wanted to hide it but she failed. “I have such a cute friend here,” Irene continued. “T-thanks… s-so, about today. What happened? What about taking photos?” The younger tried to change the topic.

 

“Oh, right. Is it okay to have your photoshoot the day after tomorrow?” Irene asked.

“My what?”

“Photoshoot. You’re going to be my model.”

“Your what?!” Seulgi’s tone raised.

“My model, Kang Seulgi. You’re going to be my model and get your pictures taken.”

 

Seulgi couldn’t believe what she just heard. Me? A model?! She looked around and spoke in a whispery tone. “I believe you got my story wrong yesterday. I told you I’m a photographer, not a model. I… I can’t even pose!” Irene erased their gap a little when she leaned forward towards Seulgi. “No. I heard you right. But I am attracted to your natural beauty here, right in front of me. I will help you with posing.”

 

Irene asked for the bill while Seulgi was still confused and trying to process the latter’s words. “Come, Seulgi. Let’s talk about this while walking down the street.” Irene stood up and Seulgi just followed her from behind.

[ - - - ]

The night was really nice. The air was a little cold but Irene liked it. The stars were not clearly seen because of the city light. She thought that she might see it when she got back to her place and turned off the lights. “Are you okay, Seulgi? Are you mad at me?” she asked while checking on Seulgi who seemed a little hesitant walking alongside of her.

 

“I’m… I’m not mad. I’m just surprised and… not ready.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to trick you, if that happens to cross your mind. I’m just really eager to have you in my magazine cover because you’re perfect for it. I know you are.”

“Why me…? There are a lot of more beautiful people, celebrities, while I’m nobody.”

“I know. But I just… I saw something in you. You’re beautiful.”

 

Irene swore she saw the girl blushed, but it was not the time to chuckle about that because Seulgi looked really cute. “It’s okay if you turn down my offer. I’ll… I’ll find someone else.” She gave Seulgi a smile. She felt a bit disappointed but she truly understood if Seulgi didn’t want to help her.

 

As they reached an empty bus stop, Seulgi finally said something. Asked something, to be exact. “If I say no, does that mean that we stop being friends?” Irene found this really sweet that she smiled and took Seulgi’s hand. “Of course not. We’re still friends. I will appreciate your decision.” She noticed that Seulgi was looking at their holding hands.

 

“I need some time to think, Irene…”

“Sure. Take your time. I won’t rush you.”

“Thank you.” Seulgi finally smiled.

 

The main road was not empty but the bus Irene was going to take has not showed up. They were still holding hands. Irene didn’t feel anything because she was looking at the road, searching for the bus. “Why isn’t i—”

 

“Irene, look over here.”

“Huh?” She turned around.

There was a sound of a camera and Irene noticed Seulgi’s smile while she was holding her phone.

“W-what was that? Did you take my picture?”

“I did. Do you want me to erase it?”

“I… uh, I,” calm down! It was just Seulgi’s phone.

“I’ll send your picture if I accept your offer. At the same time, I’ll erase it.”

 

Irene gave Seulgi a long pause before she finally blinked and soften her expression. “It’s okay. You can keep the picture. Send me your picture instead if you choose to help me.” She gave Seulgi a smile. “My selfie?” asked the girl. “Your selfie, a photo of you taken by someone, anything. Just make sure there’s your face in it.” After a few seconds, Irene got a nod from Seulgi. That was when her bus finally came.

 

“It was nice having dinner with you. We should do it again.”

“Y-yeah? Sure! Yeah… I’ll treat you next time!”

 

Not long after, they parted and Irene rested her head, leaned it to the window as she looked at the street view. She liked to take public transportation. She could think about a lot of things before she reached her destination. But of all of the things, she was reminded of ‘that’. “Damn it,” she cursed under her breath and massaged her forehead a little.

 

No. You’re alright, Bae Joohyun. You’re alright.