Run

Borderline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoojung's first instinct was to run, but that opportunity was robbed when both her and the boy led out simultaneous gasps that were somehow loud enough to alert the other occupants of the house. The lights of the apartment suddenly came on and in equally blinding fashion, Yoojung watched as a corridor of different coloured doors opened and seven other males came out to check on the situation out of curiosity. In the brightness, Yoojung finally realised that there were in fact another pink door at the end of the long corridor, which was unopened. That must have been the room meant for her then.

 

Heck, whether it's meant for her or not, Yoojung wasn't sure she wanted to stay anymore.

 

She was sure the guy she walked in on definitely was not human, and she had no way of telling whether the others were of his kind, whatever they might be. She wasn't going to stay in a place with another eight, or presumably nine other guys. She noted that another door was not opened. Yoojung might be a rather good fighter, but she was not that confident to go against so many guys. Especially if one of them had such a toned body and she spotted one that was freakishly tall.

 

She did not run away for this long just to walk into an equally dangerous situation.

 

She hated herself for standing rooted to the ground, unable to react to the situation. She should have bolted, or at least attempted to. Yet she was so stunned she simply could not move an inch.

 

So Yoojung found herself trying to suppress and hide her fear while facing a living room full of boys, currently confronting her with curious eyes. She noted no malice or fangs or clawing paws yet, so except for that shining tattoo that she witnessed for a fleeting second upstairs, she could still convince herself that they were in fact human. The stoic and judging expressions from a couple of them did not help with calming herself down though.

 

The boy whom she saw changing just now joined them shortly, and she noted that he was now in a comfortable T-shirt and slack joggers. Nothing on him was glowing anymore. Nothing through the fabric either. Was it all an illusion?

 

Yoojung sure had a knack for seeing things that she shouldn't have.

 

Speaking of illusion, Yoojung was debating with herself whether to call that shade of red on his face a blush. If she didn't feel this cornered at this moment, she might have called his embarrassed expression cute. Yet she was taking none of that .

 

There's only one non-human that she trusted in this city, and it's that charitable vampire that she entrusted her mum with.

 

Her mum.

 

The thought of her mother and the impending premonition that she could really die this very night made her sad. She wouldn't care as much if she were alone, but her mother needed her. They only had each other.

 

Yoojung decided that as with all the other situations that she had gotten herself roped into, she was going to worm herself out of this one too.

 

Not for herself, but for her mother.

 

"Who are you, and why are you here?" A fair male seated at the couch opposite hers finally broke the silence. Well, not exactly silence, because the crazily tall male she noticed from just now had been munching on some leftover chips on the table with a smaller male beside him. She wondered how anyone could eat in a situation like this, when they obviously were confronting a supposed intruder. That only made her more tense, because only the best fighters have an air of nonchalance. This, she knew very well.

 

One of the few things that Yoojung prided herself for was that she could think fast on her feet. She decided that, like those two seeming gluttons, she would feign innocence and nonchalance too. Anything but let them know she saw what she shouldn't have.

 

"I'm the new tenant," she said, swinging her key in their faces. She managed to suppress a quiver in her voice.

 

Everyone seemed immensely surprised, and they turned to look at the male who had first spoken. Yoojung thought about the meaning behind that - they were not simple co-tenants. They obviously knew one another as some form of group, and he was the leader. Her heart fell as she realised they were probably all non-humans, and her chance of escaping safely was extremely slim.

 

She couldn't believe she paid off all she had (no matter how little it was) only to land herself in this.

 

"Junmyeon hyung, I did hear her enter with the keys," the smaller male munching on chips piped up.

 

You can hear my keys turning from your room in the second floor? Definitely not human, Yoojung thought gravely to herself.

 

"Me too," the taller male said, "I thought it was Lay hyung returning."

 

Definitely not.

 

Junmyeon contemplated for a while in silence, and in an unexpectedly gentle tone (Yoojung was doubting her own sanity for thinking about that now), asked, "How did you get the keys? We didn't put this place up for rent."

 

This conversation was going in such a civilised manner it only unnerved her even more. The male seated beside the kind-looking leader still had his brows furrowed, scrutinising Yoojung intently. She thought she heard the night wind against the window as she returne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter