Christmas Day

Borderline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been a long while since Yoojung felt this relieved. Sure, she still questioned her own sanity for having placed her mother in a nursing home headed by a philanthropic vampire, but the sense of surety in her heart was overpowering the rationality in her head. Somehow she could feel that this might be the best place to nurse her mother in the coming month. Her aged mother could finally be spared from moving again and get some well-deserved rest. 

 

A rest. Yoojung couldn't help but feel that this was more so for herself. 

 

Her joviality though was short-lived as her usual sense of vigilance kicked in. Under half an hour away was the new place she was going to stay at. For once in three months, she could finally find decent shelter for both herself and her mother. Just like the nursing home's in-charge, she was immensely pleased with the fact that her new landlord (or perhaps first ever landlord, considering that she did not have to pay anyone in particular for sleeping on the streets, and she wouldn't call the bathhouse receptionist her landlord) was willing to give her immediate housing in a secluded place on the outskirts of town, give a rate way below market price and most importantly accept full payment in cash without any question. 

 

The thing about such dealings, however, was that they tended to be shady as well. 

 

Yoojung's alertness kicked in fully as the bus brought her to an increasingly quiet part out of town, and the crowd began to dwindle and subside with each turn the vehicle took. Eventually when she did alight, she realised that the row of houses staring back at her was not what she imagined her new housing to be. 

 

She had paid a terribly measly amount for a room, not any of these mansions. 

 

Perhaps mansion was an overstatement, since none of them were particularly grand. Yet compared to anything she's lived in before this, she definitely would call them that. These houses had porches. Since when did Seoul have houses with porches in the main part of the city? She figured the land prices in this area must be cheaper given the terrible location, but she wasn't going to complain. 

 

She did want to stay as far away as possible. If wiping her own existence off the face of Earth was not possible, remote housing was the nearest alternative. 

 

She carried her one and only belonging - her backpack on her shoulders - and began walking along the quiet row of houses. It didn't help that it was winter and her coat was not in its best condition. She hoped desperately that wherever her new place was, the heating was wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter