Thunder

Borderline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoojung wasn't a person of routine, but somehow her new environment forced her into one. 

 

Maybe Jongdae had the power of luck too, because after he handed her the gift (which was a black Supreme cap), the convenient store near the nursing home finally answered her application for a position. As a strategic display of her friendliness, she decided to wear the cap the very next day to head for work. She figured that if she bumped into one of her new tenants on the way, at least they would appreciate the fact that she was using her gift.

 

If you don't know someone well enough, make sure you don't get on their bad side first.

 

Yoojung didn't meet any of them on her way to morning shift work. She decided that her new year resolution might be to find out the occupation of the rest were. In case one of them was a locksmith of something, she  might want to extra bolt to her door. Not that it would help, but it could stall some time for escape at least. 

 

Yoojung had to put on make up to disguise herself now that she was having a proper job. When she first tried it on three months ago, she found it extremely ironic that her first time trying on cosmetics was to disguise herself while escaping with her deranged mother. She was very sure that the box of powder her classmate had given her as a parting gift was a second-hand she did not want anyway, but she was still grateful for the powder that was obviously too fair for her complexion, and half-used eyeliner that made her look quite different. Handy with sharp objects, Yoojung found a pair of scissors in the living room that was packed away with a stack of Christmas wrapping papers to give herself bangs and a refreshing cut. Her hair now fell right above her shoulders, at least a good six inches shorter than what it had been. 

 

Looking at her reflection in the shop windows, she felt like she could barely recognise herself anymore. It wasn't just the thoughtful disguise that she had spent 30 minutes on. It was the fact that she looked like she looked slightly more built but thinner than she had last scrutinised herself properly. 

 

Despite her life now, she found herself more confident. 

 

The manager of the convenient store was an old man who could barely see the prices on the lunchboxes and looked like he was wheezing instead of breathing. Yoojung thought he looked extremely grateful when she came in to announce herself as the temporary worker. 

 

"What's your name again?" He squinted through thick spectacles and extended his hand for a greeting. Yoojung took it briefly. 

 

"Just call me Stella," she managed a smile. The old man did not even comment on her cap during duty, which she was very happy about. 

 

He couldn't pronounce her name, so he simply nodded and mumbled his greeting. The manager didn't do so well with the cold, so he had was extremely quick in his induction programme for his junior worker. 

 

"This is the mini fridge where we store canned blood for vampires. Remember, those require ID checks, just like alcohol and cigarettes and raw meat. Only vampires can buy those. No limit on the number of cans each can buy. They can choose to heat this up in a cup at the microwave over there," she followed his pointing finger and saw two microwaves in a corner, with one labeled 'blood only', "and as I mentioned. The raw meat section is only open to werewolves. ID needed." 

 

She stiffened at the mention of those creatures. 

 

Would she ever stop having that reaction? It's been so long...

 

"Honestly I think with the nursing home nearby, the magical community in this area comprises pretty decent folks. The worry is more of those drunkards and street thugs. If you face any problems, just press the alarm behind the counter. The police usually turns up quick enough." 

 

Yoojung did not want to know why he knew how efficient the police in the area could be. She's noticed that the place had seven CCTV installed, despite it having the size of a shop that only required four. 

 

"I think you'll be fine. You look smart." 

 

Yoojung only smiled in response. 

 

With that, the old man wrapped a scarf around his neck and for the rest of the day, spent time in the corner of the store with a cup of warm tea permanently in his hands. 

 

Yoojung thought it was really nice and warm to have the company of a quiet old man in the shop. It made her feel like she was home again, with only her and her mother. 

 

Convenience store work was a lot more boring than Yoojung thought it would be, but she didn't mind it a least bit. Half the time she was spent on arranging stuff, something that she found oddly therapeutic and also an activity that she missed doing with her mother. Customers were scarce in the morning, but then Seulgi was a pleasant surprise to her morning when she dropped by to buy a can of blood before work. She greeted Yoojung brightly and was glad that she landed herself the job. 

 

"How was meeting Dr. Yixing by the way?" She asked as she opened the can of blood to heat it up.

 

Scared the living daylight out of me when I found out that he could potentially smother me in my sleep and also threaten my mum, because this doctor has no issues renting his house out in the black market, was Yoojung's thoughts. What she said instead was, "Pleasant. He seems like an amazing therapist." Which was mostly true, it just omitted a lot of stuff in between. 

 

"He's a bi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter