Stay

Borderline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was very clear to Lay that Yoojung was wary of him and she did not want to be in the same room or space as him. 

 

The girl approached her mother's therapist with much caution. After a pronounced silence, Yoojung finally hesitated a response to conversation with the (in her opinion) creepily smiling male. 

 

"So you're my mother's therapist?" There was a detectable edge in her voice and it did not go unnoticed by Lay. He wasn't that affected by it though; most human clients were usually uncomfortable during their first meeting with any therapist here because they were always torn between grateful and suspicion. 

 

"I'm the chief therapist here at this nursing home, and my name is Yixing. Nice to meet you, Miss Yoojung." 

 

Yoojung flinched at Yixing's direct mention of her name and had to consciously remind herself that he obviously knew it from her mother, or from overhearing their conversation earlier. She had to stop thinking these men were almighty, whatever they were. For one, he obviously did not read the contract closely, because she had signed off as Stella and he mentioned none of that. 

 

Yixing went on to explain her mother's condition, which apparently did include more than physical ailments as she had suspected. Interestingly, Yixing was extremely frank about his treatment methods and plans. Yoojung learnt that Yixing's main power was to heal, and that his powers were restricted to that of biological and physical wounds. 

 

"But there is a biological basis to how the mind works too, so rest assured while I'm not a trained psychologist, your mother's functioning mind will be one of my priorities too," he explained. 

 

Somehow his reassurance that his main powers were to heal eased her mind greatly. Certainly he couldn't be that bad if his main powers were to nurse, had a proper job, and seemed reasonably responsible as a healthcare professional. 

 

Then again, Yoojung recalled how easily she was dazzled by Seulgi in the corridor and wondered to herself whether Lay was a halfbreed between vampire and something else with magical powers. After all it wasn't too bold to assume that her peace of mind now was a result of some special effects he had on her. A vampire dazzle for example. After all, she did find him and the rest of the household somewhat attractive. Somewhat being an understatement. 

 

Yixing noticed her doubtful expression and immediately offered the answer that Yoojung needed all this while. 

 

"I'm an elf." 

 

--

 

Yoojung felt like she might regret this decision, but her curiosity got the better of her. 

 

Staying by her mum's side till closing hours that day, she witnessed the healing prowess of this mysterious man-elf called Yixing. The process was actually more painless and normal than she had imagined. All Yixing did was to place a hand on her mother's foot gently and after a very faint glow emitted from his hand, her mother's ankle was good in under a minute. He did mention though that more complicated injuries would take greater time and effort. Since the patient was female, the home even followed standard hospital procedures to have a female assistant to supervise the process. In this case, it was another vampire called Yeri. 

 

Yoojung was so eager to learn about Yixing and elves that she did not even decline the ride he offered home after his shift. 

 

The ride home though, was mostly silent. Both Yixing and Yoojung noted how aloof the other was and nobody truly bothered to start a conversation. It didn't help either that after letting her know his identity, the elf had not bothered to conceal his magical powers. Lay had let his bag levitate in midair so that he could find his car keys at a comfortable height.

 

Yet the questions in Yoojung were starting to eat her up on the inside. 

 

She tried a meek conversation starter. 

 

"So why would you guys have financial problems when you're a therapist?"

 

The pause made Yoojung think that she might not have articulated her words, and she was about to ask again when the elf on the wheel finally replied. 

 

"Elves have not been officially registered as part of the open magical creature community yet. So having me as the chief therapist in the center means that we cannot apply for enough governmental subsidies," he said expressionlessly, "but the head of the nursing home insisted that I was the best for the job, so she rather keep things the way they are. Everyone working here suffers lower wage compared to a human-run nurs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter