Miracles in December

Borderline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoojung was not sure which God she should thank for the fact that whatever creatures the boys were, none of them budged into her room to check on her. Given their inhumane hearing, she was very sure that all of them had heard the loud rustle of their tree in the backyard when she climbed out of the window and wrapped herself around the trunk. The wood was freezing, making her curse internally (she didn't risk uttering a whisper). Carefully, she climbed her way to the ground, narrowly escaping slipping a few times on the snow-filled branches. She landed as softly as possible, even though realistically speaking it wouldn't make much of a difference if they truly had heightened sense of hearing.

 

Yoojung bit on her chattering teeth as she made her way down the row of houses once again, back to where she came from earlier that evening. She didn't steal the blanket in her room, however inviting it was. If they were werewolves, they might be able to track her with the scent of their house.

 

Of course, they could always track her with her own scent, but she was banking on the fact that if they were not as familiar with her yet, they might forget her scent. Surely a familiar smell would be easier to detect?

 

She caught the last bus back to the city and alighted at the entrance of the nursing home. Her shoulders slumped in realisation that the moment she thought good fortune might finally hit her for the first time in life, she was shoved roughly back into reality again. Homeless, cold and needlessly hungry, she found herself in the same state again since four months ago, just 200K Won poorer. She decided she might strive to camp out here in the cold and check on her mother in the morning. They always said home was where the family is, but it was just slightly strange to find that line heartwarming in this situation. They were essentially homeless (technically her mother was in a nursing home and she just walked out of her new place). Yet her first thought when running away was to look for her mum, and to know that her mother was now resting peacefully in the compound eased her mind tremendously.

 

She turned to an alley near the nursing home and found a spot filled with cardboard boxes piled up together. It was clearly the dwelling of a homeless, but whoever it was, they were nowhere in sight. Yoojung slipped herself into the makeshift cover and tried to sleep. Her last thoughts before finally slipped into dreamland was the unfairness of this world - if she borrowed the words of Chanyeol from before, she did not work this hard only to sleep on the streets again.

 

It was another miracle that she managed to rest undisturbed that night.

 

--

 

Morning came and Yoojung woke up with a jolt due to the cold and a terrible recurring nightmare.

 

She checked her phone: 6.36am. There was still an hour and a half before the nursing home would open for visitors that day.

 

Yoojung took a brief moment to survey her surroundings in the dim morning light, and it was a while before she registered that she was on the streets again. Memories of last night came back, and immediately her vigilance were back up in no time. She realised that nobody had come back to the spot that night, and decided that it would be a good place to settle in the upcoming month. This was close to the nursing home and she honestly could not afford another suspicious housing deal.

 

An approaching figure disrupted her thoughts, and Yoojung hugged her backpack close to herself. It was a grumpy man taking a swig from a soju bottle, swaying unsteadily. Judging from his smell and state of his clothes, he was a homeless.

 

Or more accurately, the homeless that owned this spot.

 

"You're in my spooooot," he bellowed. The man was very drunk.

 

Yoojung cussed below her breath at the fact that her plans for the upcoming month was now thrown out of the window. Stretching her numb legs and standing up, she tried to avoid the stumbling man. Much to her dismay, the drunkard was doing anything but that.

 

The thing is, Yoojung was a rare kind of homeless. She was a young teen, female, hardly considered ugly and relatively clean. 

 

"Yer prettttyyyyyyyy," the man leaned closer, placing a hand on her shoulder to prevent her from leaving. "Hoho, you ARE p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter