chapter. five.

Inevitably In Love

 


 

 

 

After that fateful incident that Friday morning, everything else just casually fell into its rightful place. Though Jaebum gave up on chasing after Youngjae that morning because the older had classes, it was still quite uplifting for said male to attend his school with such a bright smile that left his classmates suspicious. The usually quiet and mysterious Im Jaebum suddenly turned up at school with butterflies circling his steps and face shining brighter than the sun itself. Yeah, like the day could get any weirder.


 

Except it did.


 

Jaebum paid attention in class and even took detailed notes. He ate lunch in the cafeteria for the first time ever in his high school years. He even volunteered to help out the librarian even though the library was the last place on Earth he would ever go to. But he did. Because Jaebum was weirdly happy. Well, too weirdly happy.


 

“Hey, man, you’re looking good! What’s up?” One of Jaebum’s classmate decided that it was a perfect opportunity to slip in some favors.


 

“Nothing,” Jaebum replied shortly, smiling down at his page of filled notes.


 

“Got yourself a lady?”


 

“No, it’s not like that,” the colors of Jaebum’s cheeks totally betrayed his own words.


 

The classmate shrugged and dropped the topic, since he wasn’t here for that. “So, you know, we’re supposed to go to that high school to use their soccer field, right?”


 

Looking up and frowning slightly at the foreign news, “Why? Isn’t that your job?”


 

“Hey, man, I know. I just don’t want to go alone. And plus, I heard you know people there, so you could get us in?”


 

“Which high school?”


 

“The one on the other side of town? The very big one with a lot of rich people?”


 

Immediately, Jaebum’s eyes lit up in excitement, “Yeah! Okay! When are we leaving?”


 

A bit taken back by the boy’s eagerness, the classmate rubbed his nape awkwardly, “Um… Uh… Is after school okay? Sorry, the thing is due tomorrow, and I really need footage of me getting my kicked at soccer by a bunch of snobby rich kids-”


 

“That’s fine! I’ll wait for you at the gates!”


 

“O-okay…”


 

And the rest of that day, Jaebum couldn’t keep still in his seat. The boy always had to do something, or he’d be fretting anxiously all day. His obsession with the clock popped questions in everyone’s heads. Because Im Jaebum just wouldn't stay still. People were starting to get scared if something evil had possessed the hot, badass Senior of the school. He was just so unusually happy and bubbly. It was a cute sight, but at the same time, very scary. Though, no one dared to bring themselves to question it any further.


 

When the last bell rang, Jaebum was the first person to leave the class. Running through the halls and down the stairs, his heart felt as if it'd jump out. His smile never left his lips. Youngjae’s school didn’t get off for another hour and thirty minutes. So usually, Jaebum would hang around until then. But today, he didn’t have to do that.


 

The twisted, burning sensation in the pit of his stomach had been bothering him all day. He was so anxious to meet Youngjae again, so they could sort this whole thing out. And maybe agree on a solution. A solution that was them getting together officially. Jaebum bit down a giggle as he leaned himself against the gates for support. The butterflies in his stomach were driving him wild. And Jaebum loves it.


 

“Wow. Sorry, I had to grab the camera equipment,” the classmate showed up some long minutes later. “Didn’t know you’d be waiting.”


 

Jaebum just hummed in response and began walking off towards the desired direction. His steps were light just like his heart. The closer he was to the school, the happier he got. The classmate was long forgotten. All Jaebum knew was that he was getting to see his Youngjae. Finally, his Youngjae.


 

They arrived at the front gates of the most prestigious school in town. The two huge bronze lions rested on either side of the gates, radiating with dominance and superiority. Behind the large metal gates, the school building looked like it was made up out of all the houses from the middle-class neighborhood. A bold maroon plastered itself on the building with stunning silver details running down and across, giving the building such a pleasure to the eyes. The school itself looked intimidating to people who couldn’t afford a step past the gates.


 

“So, what’s your plan?” Jaebum asked, still looking up at the school that he was so used to seeing.


 

“Um, I got the signed form right here. Mister Cheon said we could use this to get inside.”


 

The boys walked past the opened gates with heavy steps. Although Jaebum had been here so many times, he had never passed this point before. He was always waiting at the tree across the street. But now, experiencing the feeling of the wealt closing in on him, Jaebum felt suffocated. For a minute there, he wondered if this was the right choice. Youngjae and him were too different. Jaebum could never have dreamed of something this grand. It hurts to accept the reality, but it was unavoidable. Youngjae will forever be unreachable.


 

But Jaebum was a stubborn teen who fell too deeply in love.


 

“You boys aren’t from here,” a security guard approached the boys, “What are you kids doing here?” With the proper uniform the guard was dressed in, he eyed the strange students from head to toes. Already, his eyes judged them harshly as he recognized which school their uniforms belonged to.


 

Jaebum wasn’t intimidated, of course not. “Sir, we’re looking for the front office?”


 

“Who are you kids?”


 

“I don’t mean to be rude, but we’re just here for a quick project. We’ve already been approved by the teachers.”


 

“I asked-”


 

“And we just want to know where the front office is.”


 

Giving up at the boy’s sharp attitude, the guard shook his head in disapproval, “I should have expected this. Kids from THAT school are all rascals. I’ll take you. Behave or I’ll handle you two in a not-so-nice way.”


 

“Thank you, sir,” Jaebum faked a smile. He decided to ignore the guard’s unnecessary comment.


 

When they reached the front office, Jaebum’s classmate nervously gave the receptionist the form. It was a relief that the lady was a lot nicer and more understanding than that rude guard. After listing a bunch of rules in a soft voice, the lady smiled and handed the boys two visitor cards. The boys took it and thanked the lady before exiting the front office. When they finally got out in the huge hallway, they both released a long breath. None of them said anything to each other, just shared a nod and walked until they could find a soccer field. As they walked, Jaebum found out that his classmate dreamed of being a professional soccer player but quit because the training and just the sport itself were too expensive. And the project was for filming class.


 

“It’s about my future or something along that bull, you know? Even if I couldn’t be a soccer player like I wanted, doesn’t mean I don’t dream about it. Maybe some miracle happens, and I’ll be able to pursue this delusional dream again. Who knows.” The classmate said with a bitter smile.


 

Jaebum didn’t know what to say. Instead, he patted his classmate’s shoulder as an offer of comfort. Though, he completely agreed. Who knows what the future really holds. Anything could happen. Good or bad. If it happens, then it happens. There’s really no helping it. “So let’s enjoy the time right now, yeah? Worry about that bull later.”


 

“Thanks,” the classmate laughed and nodded, “You’re right.”


 

Their friendship came a little unexpected. Jaebum, although popular, wasn’t the type to have friends. Looking back at it, he was pretty much alone majority of the time. He’d talk but never really hung out with anyone. But that was because Jaebum didn’t need anyone else. He had Youngjae. And that was all he needed.


 

“I’m Myungdae, by the way, Choi Myungdae,” the classmate introduced himself, “I figured you wouldn’t know, since you don’t seem to care much.”


 

“Sorry. I’ll remember from now on.”


 

“Okay.”


 

They didn’t talk more after that. Just walking in a comfortable silence. Jaebum found it quite fascinating that he didn’t really hated Myungdae’s presence. Normally, if the person wasn’t Youngjae, Jaebum could care less.


 

“We’re here!” Myungdae cheered, “All right, I’ll just go challenge those snobby rich kids for a match. Um, you could sit and watch if you want. Or you could go somewhere else if you’re bored. Just give me your number, so I could text you when I’m done.”


 

Without wasting a second, Jaebum pulled out his phone, “Yeah, let’s do that. Here’s my number.”


 

“That was a very fast reaction,” Myungdae quirked an eyebrow, “Got a girlfriend here?”


 

Jaebum casually grabbed his new friend’s phone and saved in his number. He gave the phone back to Myungdae with a wide grin, “Not yet.”


 

As if Myungdae could relate, the boy nodded enthusiastically, “Good luck to you then! I bet all the girls and guys at our school are going to cry a river when they find out Im Jaebum’s finally taken!”


 

“Let them cry,” Jaebum shrugged, “I don’t care.”


 

Myungdae laughed, shaking his head and staring at Jaebum in mild disbelief, “Of course. I should have known. Anyways, introduce me to her when you succeed!”


 

“Not a ‘her,’ though,” Jaebum winked, walking away after taking a glance at Myungdae’s shocked face. “Don’t worry. I won’t be introducing him. Myungdae, your style is too similar to mine. I can’t risk him falling for you instead of me.”


 

“No way! Im Jaebum! Come back here! Explain!”


 

Jaebum waved, looking back and smirking at his new friend. The reason why he was so comfortable with Myungdae, Jaebum realized, was that Myungdae was like a reflection of him. The whole piercing sharp eyes, tousled dark hair, no tie, first-two-button-open shirt, deep voice, striking smirk, sly smile, basically the entire bad boy vibe Myungdae possessed were all so similar to Jaebum. Though, Myungdae might not be as popular, violent, and quiet as Jaebum, the male was still a comparable match in terms of looks and personality.


 

If Youngjae likes Jaebum, then there’s no question Youngjae would like Choi Myungdae, too.


 

Jaebum wasn’t insecure, because he knew how dependent Youngjae was on him. But he wasn’t about to take that risk.


 

He didn’t like sharing.


 

Especially when he’s finally getting what he wanted.


 

There was no way he’d let go.





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

For the first time ever, Youngjae had the courage to skip his last class and settle himself at a table underneath a tree. Should he be feeling guilty about this? Sure. Should he go back before he gets into more trouble? Absolutely. Should he just return to his usual boring self? He should. But does he want to? Definitely no.


 

Youngjae sighed, removing his backpack and placing it on top of the table. “It’s okay… I hate that class anyways… It’ll be okay…” Groaning, he dropped his head on his backpack. He shouldn't be doing this. Soon, this would make its way to his mother’s ears. She’ll kill him. She literally will. He should go back now before he couldn’t anymore.


 

But the air smelled so fresh and inviting.


 

There was no way Youngjae could part with such a relaxing atmosphere.


 

And the young boy found himself doing his math homework under the shade of the tree just minutes later. Concentrating on scribbling complicated equations and numbers, Youngjae allowed time to pass by like the breezy wind. He enjoyed it. Doing his homework under the tree and feeling the cold kissing his cheeks. The sense of peace he wished he had. It was just only him and his homework. Everything else flowed so well, blended in so well, with the refreshing surroundings of a typical winter day. Youngjae should be shivering with the coldness, but instead, he felt rather content with the weather. Or just this day in general.


 

One particular moment from this morning got him all feeling giddy and warm inside.


 

Blushing, Youngjae planted his face into his notebook. “Why did I do that?!”


 

“Do what?” A whisper fanned over so close to the young boy’s ear, close enough for him to feel the bit of lips that were slightly pressing against it, causing him to jolt up in surprise and cover his red ear with his hand. The owner of that voice smiled, a little cunningly, but it was very charming. “Hey.”


 

“J-Ja-Jaebum?!” Youngjae’s mouth dropped open and eyes widened in shock. “Wha-what? Why-why are y-you here??”


 

“You don’t look so happy to see me,” Jaebum shrugged, plopping down right next to his best friend. By right next, Jaebum really meant no possible space in between. Their thighs were touching. They had never sat this close together before. “Didn’t expect the goody-two-shoes Choi Youngjae to be skipping class, huh. Who’s teaching you these bad behaviors?”


 

Still in shock, Youngjae didn’t respond for some long seconds. He just sat there staring at the person sitting beside of him with his jaw slacked open. Soon enough, Youngjae snapped out of it. Looking down, the younger boy noticed how close they were pressed against each other. Literally, Youngjae could move even a little, and he’d end up on Jaebum’s lap. Grabbing his notebook and pencil case, Youngjae scooted away from his best friend.


 

Jaebum raised an eyebrow and scooted closer to Youngjae.


 

Youngjae scooted away.


 

Jaebum didn’t gave up and scooted closer.


 

Again, Youngjae attempted to scoot away in a smooth manner. Failed miserably.


 

Again, Jaebum played along, closing the annoying gap between them.


 

Back and forth, they took turn scooting away and scooting towards.


 

When the bench ran out of length to support these two’s childish game, Youngjae almost dropped his straight to the hard ground. But of course, Jaebum was quicker and reached out immediately, catching the younger and pulling him in. This whole entire time, Youngjae was trying to avoid them being so close to each other. But now, he ultimately ended up right on Jaebum’s inviting lap.


 

“Jeez. Be careful! You could have gotten hurt,” Jaebum scold, glaring at his best friend disapprovingly. He wrapped his arms protectively around Youngjae’s waist naturally.


 

Youngjae didn’t know what to do but sat there on Jaebum’s lap obediently. Although his entire face was probably redder than this morning’s sunrise, Youngjae thought it still was pretty nice like this. Just them. Everything felt so simple. They were so close, enough to hear the soft beating of each other’s hearts resonating like crashing waves against their ears. It was cold, but they were warm next to each other.


 

“Jaebummie…”


 

“Hmm?”


 

“What are you doing here…”


 

“Miss you.”


 

“...”


 

“Also, I wasn’t happy that you left me hanging this morning,” Jaebum said, giving Youngjae’s hipbone a little squeeze.


 

Youngjae pouted, “Wasn’t my fault you didn’t hear me the first time…”


 

“I heard you. Just wanted to make sure I heard you right.


 

The younger bit his lip, looking away to hide his embarrassed face from his best friend. “F-forget it! I was-was… Um, uh… I was just jo-joking… Hahaha… It was funny, right?” Youngjae scratched his head and shyly smiled.


 

Jaebum wasn’t one bit amused, “You’re an idiot.”


 

“Wha-”


 

“Yes.”


 

“What are you-”


 

“Yes, I’ll go out with you,” Jaebum sighed, secretly hiding his winning smirk under that exasperated expression, “Since you insisted so much.”


 

Squirming in protest, Youngjae tried to free himself, “I did not! I just asked ONE time!”


 

Disapproved at the younger’s inconsiderate action, Jaebum gripped tightly onto the younger’s hips to keep the male still. “Stop moving. You’re sitting on a person’s lap. Have some manners. .


 

“You-” Youngjae closed his mouth, face burning bright red. “L-let me off then…”


 

“No. I like it.”


 

It was weird how everything Jaebum said could greatly affect Youngjae so much. He didn’t know when this had started happening. Youngjae had always thought of Jaebum no more than a best friend, a brother, a life companion whom he so adored. Until recently anyways. Suddenly, everything his best friend did or said felt like constant direct attacks on his poor heart. Of course, Youngjae was terrified of whatever this foreign feeling was. He had wanted it to leave him alone. But the more he felt, the more he came to realize how beautiful it was. Things were changing. Youngjae didn’t mind, though, since the changes were happening in an amazing way. His eyes had never seen such pretty lights. His heart had never been so open to welcome and embrace such warmness.


 

“Jaebum-”


 

“IM JAEBUM?!” From afar, Myungdae ran over in full speed. “Oh, thank God, you’re here. Listen, I know you wanna stay for a little more, but we have to go!”


 

Upon seeing another presence, Youngjae jumped off Jaebum’s lap in a panic. “Um-”


 

“For ’s sake,” Jaebum rolled his eyes, “What the do you want?”


 

“I’ll explain later! We need to go-” Myungdae huffed, stuffing the filming gears in his backpack. He was about to say something else, but the moment his eyes met with the kid sitting next to Jaebum, he stopped everything altogether. “Hey.” Myungdae cracked a charming smile.


 

“Um, hi…” Youngjae greeted back and dropped his head shyly to hide his pretty blush.


 

Jaebum looked back and forth between the two and rolled his eyes, “I hate this.”


 

“Well, damn, Jaebum, you didn’t tell me he was this cute,” Myungdae reached over, attempting to get a handshake, “Hey, I’m Choi Myungdae, Jaebum’s friend-”


 

“Who said we were friends?” Jaebum immediately swatted Myungdae’s hand away.


 

“I’m Youngjae, Choi Youngjae, nice to meet you, Myungdae-ssi!” The younger lifted his head and flashed an innocent smile.


 

“Same last name~” Myungdae winked, “I like you already-”


 

Jaebum positioned himself so that he blocked his friend’s view of Youngjae, “All right, cutesy introduction time is over. Get lost now.”


 

Struggling to look past Jaebum’s broad shoulders, Myungdae whined, “But we just met! Let me talk to him!”


 

The two older boys got their hands on each other, as they wrestled for dominance. Youngjae watched and started giggling, finding it so amusing that his best friend actually had friends other than him. “You guys are so alike!”


 

“Really?” Myungdae asked, genuinely curious.


 

“No, we aren't!” Jaebum denied strongly, knowing exactly where this was leading up to.


 

Youngjae nodded, “Even your faces look a little similar.”


 

At that comment, Jaebum frowned, already feeling uncomfortable the second Myungdae showed up.


 

Noticing Jaebum’s frown, Youngjae smiled sheepishly and blushed, “But my Jaebum looks more handsome of course…”


 

And the two older males stopped completely. The smirk on Myungdae’s face meant no good. “You heard that? ‘MY Jaebum’ oh God! Your face is red, Im Jaebum! Are you okay? Did you got sick because it’s too cold?”


 

“Shut up!” Jaebum hissed, turning away to calm down the butterflies flapping so wildly within the pit of his stomach.


 

Youngjae’s face wasn’t any better. He couldn’t believe he just blurted that out in front of Jaebum’s friend. Since when was he this bold?


 

“Okay, you two are cute,” Myungdae laughed, “But Jaebum, we really need to get going. I pissed off one of the kids from the soccer team, and now he’s after my . Let’s go!” The boy grabbed his friend’s arm and tugged at it. He looked at Youngjae for the last time and wore a soft smile, “It was nice meeting with you, Youngjae-ssi. I hope I’ll see you around more often-”


 

Jaebum smacked Myungdae hard on his head, “Stop flirting with him! He doesn’t like you!”


 

“Yes, he does! He wouldn’t smile at me if he didn’t-”


 

“I said stop!” Turning quickly to Youngjae, Jaebum pointed a finger at the younger’s chest, “You’re not allow to see him!”


 

“B-but I didn’t do an-anything…” Youngjae pouted, eyes casting down at the wrongful accusation.


 

“No, I trust you, Jae-ah,” the older softened his voice, feeling guilty for making his Youngjae sad. “I just don’t trust him.


 

Myungdae scoffed, “You’re ridiculous. I’m not like you!”


 

“Shut up! We’re leaving!” Jaebum dragged his friend away in a hurry. “I can’t walk you home today, Jae-ah! See you at the park tomorrow at ten, okay?”


 

“Okay!” Youngjae beamed, waving enthusiastically, “Bye Jaebummie! Bye Myungdae-ssi!”


 

“No need to be formal! Just Myungdae is fine-”


 

“I SAID STOP FLIRTING WITH HIM!”





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

So waking up at ing seven in the morning on a Saturday wasn’t Jaebum’s intention at all. But he dragged his lazy off bed anyways. Because, apparently, he needed a couple of hours to get himself ready. Who would have thought. After a hot shower, Jaebum walked out of the bathroom feeling refreshed and happy with life for once. Also, his drunkard father didn’t come home last night to beat him up, so his condition was top notch. That's good. He really needed to look his best today.


 

Jaebum rummaged through his closet for a good fifteen minutes before he gave up and plopped on his bed with a sigh. There was nothing he could wear. Well, nothing impressive anyways. He rolled over onto his stomach and groaned into his pillow. The boy picked up his phone and stared at the lit screen. He had approximately two hours before the meet-up. Two whole ing hours. Too bad no clothing store opened this early. Not the high-end ones. Jaebum didn’t like shopping at those cheap ones at the cross-section, although they tend to open a lot earlier. He didn’t shop for clothes a lot, but when he did, he made sure it was worth the money.


 

Okay, but he can’t be laying here for the next hour. Pulling himself off his bed, Jaebum started to regret not going shopping yesterday after that whole Myungdae situation. It wasn’t his fault that idiot decided to lash out in a fist fight with those rich boys. Myungdae wasn’t even anyone close. Hell, they only started talking, yet Jaebum found himself throwing punches and kicking around to defend himself and his new friend. The fight ended with Jaebum dragging Myungdae’s away, because realistically, low-class boys can’t be fighting with high-class boys. After that, as an appreciation, Myungdae bought tteokbokki and ice cream for them both. They hung out some more and next thing Jaebum knew, it was already late. All the stores were closed. And Jaebum was annoyed that Youngjae didn’t send him a single text, so he just walked back home in a bad mood.


 

Now, he regretted it. Maybe if he didn’t sat there and chat about embarrassing with Myungdae, someone who he didn’t even know that well, then he could have gotten himself a fine- outfit out of the money he stole from his father. But Myungdae was a great listener. Jaebum was grateful that there was someone his age who did not seem one bit annoyed whenever he opened his mouth. Because the only thing that Jaebum talked about was Youngjae.


 

Sighing, Jaebum decided to just go with the usual outfit. He couldn't dress up today, he’d do it next time. The boy nodded to himself, writing a mental reminder to give his whole closet a makeover. He was going to be dating soon, so he had to look good for his boyfriend. That also included working out more to get those muscles and bumps in their right places. In case if Youngjae and him ever…


 

Face turning red, Jaebum cleared his throat and threw his favorite black leather jacket and jeans onto the bed. It was way too early in the morning to be thinking about that. Jaebum shook his head and smiled down at the clothes on his bed. He was still shook over the fact that he's going to be with the boy he’s been loving his whole life. It was kind of a big ing deal. There was no way he could this up. He had been waiting for this since forever.


 

“I’ll be so perfect,” Jaebum said, admiring himself in the mirror. “Hmm. More perfect?” He shrugged off his leather jacket and stripped off his white tee. A few minutes later, Jaebum walked back to stand in front of the mirror again with a white button-up. Smiling, because he knew it himself how handsome he looked, Jaebum put on his leather jacket.


 

Today was going to be a great day.





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

All right. Maybe he was overreacting. Or worried too much. Probably both. Or are they the same thing? Youngjae wasn’t sure. The only thing he was sure of was how bad of a beating he'd get when his mother comes home tomorrow. Not only did he missed a week of school, but he also skipped class. And now, he was sneaking out to meet up with the last person his mother wanted him to meet. But everything was all right. She can’t literally kill her own son. Right?


 

Back to him overreacting or worrying too much or whatever, Youngjae actually arrived at least an hour early. Thank God he dressed warmly, because this Saturday morning cannot get any colder. Snuggling into his coat, Youngjae pocketed his hands and sighed. Why did he thought it’d be a great idea to sit outside in this damn weather?


 

He was so going to regret this later.


 

“Youngjae-ah!”


 

Responding to his name, Youngjae lifted his head, “Jae-Jaebummie…” His lips quivered as his whole body shivered violently.


 

Jaebum ran over and immediately pulled Youngjae into his embrace, “How long have you been sitting here. Oh, my God! Youngjae, you’re freezing!”


 

“Not my f-fault some-someone probably st-stood in-in front of h-his m-m-mirror for-for the whole d-d-da-day,” Youngjae said quietly, feeling his lips turning to ice in just seconds. He snuggled into his best friend’s chest and pouted. “But hey… Good morning, Jaebummie.”


 

“Hmmm…” Burying his face into Youngjae’s hair, Jaebum could feel the coldness sitting upon the younger’s silky dark locks. But Jaebum still snuck a smile. “Good morning to you, too.”


 

They stayed cuddling on the bench for a while. For the most part, Youngjae didn’t want to go anywhere or do anything. The weather was getting the better of him. That was fine with Jaebum. They could stay like this all day if that was what Youngjae wanted. At some point, due to Jaebum’s poor control of himself after inhaling so much of Youngjae’s sweet scent, the older dropped a kiss on top of the younger’s head. Which then brought both of them back to the actual purpose of this meet-up.


 

Clearing his throat, Youngjae slowly removed his head off his best friend’s chest. The action confused Jaebum for a second, leaving the older panicking and jumping into so many conclusions inside his head. With a red face, still debatable if it was from the cold or that cute little kiss, Youngjae forced himself to look at Jaebum.


 

“So…” Youngjae started, “Are we, um, we, uh, um… W-we…”


 

“Yes, we are,” Jaebum answered smoothly, knowing perfectly the question Youngjae was trying to force out.


 

“H-huh? We-we a-are?”


 

“We are.”


 

“But… But what about…” The younger’s voice drifted off, unable to finish that sentence.


 

Something changed in Youngjae’s eyes, and Jaebum was afraid that it was hesitance. Jaebum was so sure of this. He was so sure of them. This was all he ever wanted. Getting onto one knee in front of the love of his life, Jaebum took Youngjae’s hands into his own. Softly, he drew little circles on Youngjae’s hands with his thumbs. Looking up at that pouty face he loves so much, Jaebum’s lips curled into a perfect smile.


 

Jaebum loves the way Youngjae gazed down at him.


 

“Listen, Youngjae-ah, you can’t ask me out and then suddenly give up. That’s not fair to me. You have to take responsibility. Don’t just leave me hanging after you kissed me. You make my heart does this weird thing where it flips like crazy. And that hurts. So, be a reasonable person, and take responsibility for the damages you’ve caused.” Jaebum gently squeezed Youngjae’s smaller hands. “Besides that, I just want you to know that I’m always here no matter what. I’ll protect you no matter what happens. And I will never let anything, anyone, comes in between us. I’ll do everything, Youngjae-ah. All I ask is for you to love me back, because I love you.”


 

“Jaebum-ah… You sure you want to be with me, though? I mean, I’m younger and inexperienced and probably not the best person to talk about mature topics with and-”


 

“If it’s not you, then I’ll be single for the rest of my life.”


 

“But-”


 

“Stop that. You’re my best friend. You know me the best. There’s nothing more I could have asked for. You’re perfect. And I love you. In fact, I have been loving for so long now. Nothing could possibly change my mind about you. Hey, I’m inexperienced, too. I’ve been saving myself for you, so just like you, I’m completely new to this. We could learn together.”


 

“Jaebum… I might be a great best friend, but I don’t know if I’ll be a great boyfriend…” Youngjae bit his lip and looked over Jaebum’s shoulders to distract himself from the aching feeling of crying.


 

The older chuckled, earning a little shove of the younger’s knee. “I’m surprised I get to hear ‘boyfriend’ coming out of your mouth. I thought I’ll be the first one to say it, but you always surprise me.” Jaebum smiled again and brought Youngjae’s hands to his lips. He pressed a light kiss and looked up with stars sparkling within the depths of his soft eyes. “You’re worrying too much. You’ll be fine.”


 

“How do you know that?”


 

“I just do.”


 

“That’s not a very reliable answer, Jaebum.”


 

Jaebum sighed, “Okay, this is ridiculous. Let’s cut this whole fluff and get to the real .”


 

“...”


 

“Youngjae, look at me,” Jaebum said, calmly and confidently, “If you agree to it, if you agree to take my hand and hold onto it forever, then I swear right now that I’ll make you the happiest person on this goddamn world. Because Choi Youngjae, you deserve all the happiness there is. And believe me when I said that I’m the only person who could give you that happiness.”


 

For a second there, Youngjae couldn’t really make out anything around him. All he could focus on were the warmth in Jaebum’s sharp eyes and the security of Jaebum’s hands enveloping his. He had never trusted Jaebum this much before. In this moment, Youngjae felt like someone smashed his heart to pieces. It hurts so much. But looking into Jaebum’s loving eyes suddenly dissolved all that futile pain. Youngjae’s heart swelled up in nothing but adoration for the boy in front of him, who was on his knee, holding his hand and smiling so radiantly at him. He would put his entire life into Jaebum’s hands in a heartbeat.


 

That was exactly what he’d be doing.


 

A tear escaped and slid down Youngjae’s flushed cheek. The younger slipped his hands from Jaebum’s grasps and cupped the older’s face. They stared into each other’s eyes, ignoring the wind picking up with its merciless icicles circling around them. It was winter, yet, all they felt was the indescribable warmth wrapping them up in its embrace like spring itself. Just like the spring, flowers bloomed at their feet, birds chirped and sang cheerfully at their ears, and rays of sunlight peered through the clouds and cleared the beautiful blue sky.


 

“Thank you,” Youngjae whispered with a smile. Without hesitating, he pulled his lover’s face closer and connected their cold lips to write a gorgeous melody in celebration of this lovely visit from a greater force that wished for their sole happiness by each other’s sides.