Chapter One

Inevitably In Love

 

 

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Here's another chapt. to make up for the supposed-update on the 4th >.<

If ya haven't read the previous update on Tuesday, make sure to do so~

All right~ ENJOY AND LEAVE TONS OF FEEDBACKS~ LOVE Y'ALL~

###


 

 

 

 

Whatever happened…


 

All too sudden…


 

Standing on top of the hospital’s rooftop, Jaebum stared at the small town outstretched in front of him. His body numbed. His heart closed up completely. His eyes grew distant. The colors of the world drained from his vision.


 

This will be his life now.


 

Colorless.


 

And Jaebum accepts it.





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

“All right, I am TIRED,” Kang Han, a quite pretentious lawyer with many creative ways to please his clients, whined and yawned loudly. He looked over at his college best friend, who also co-owns the law firm with him, with a cringe. Annoyed, Kang Han picked up a pen and launched it. “YAH! Earth to Choi Youngjae!”


 

The pen did a graceful spin in the air and dropped right in front of the lawyer’s nose, causing him to break from his concentration. “What was that for?!” Choi Youngjae, considered by the Seoul Law Association to be the best lawyer under the age of 30 there is in this huge city, jumped back in his seat. “I almost had a breakthrough!”


 

Kang Han rolled his eyes, “You damn workaholic. I said I’M TIRED.”


 

“Okay? What do you want me to do about it, Cassanova?”


 

“Don’t get smart with me now, Choi.”


 

Now, Youngjae rolled his eyes, “You can go on break if you want. I’m almost done.”


 

“That’s what you said two ‘almost done’ ago,” Kang Han sighed, shaking his head at his best friend’s overly determination to settle that corruption case. The male walked over and hovered over his best friend with an actual tired smile. “Just drop it, Youngjae-ah. You know the media would want to blow this one up out-of-proportion to cover up for the Myeong-dong Arson case anyways. They’re going to paint it as ‘corruption’ no matter how much effort you’re putting in. Just let it go.”


 

But that was never in Youngjae’s state of intention, or mind, “Well, they shouldn’t have given the case for me to handle then.”


 

“You’re too stubborn with your justice bull. The reason they gave it to you was because they could easily blame it on your lack of experience and young age for the made-up excuses. Get your head out of your , please. They’re not as nice as you think they are. The world is full of ugly manipulations, Jae-ah.”


 

Somehow.


 

Some reason.


 

That name triggered something deep within Youngjae. And it stung.


 

Youngjae grimaced, “Stop. I told you not to call me that.”


 

“You ever found out why?”


 

“Just stop.”


 

“But-”


 

“I’ll go eat with you. So just stop, okay?”


 

“Fine. You’re paying, since you make more money than I do.”


 

Lawyer Choi laughed, gathering all his files back into a neat stack, “Maybe if you stop sleeping with your clients and breaking their hearts, then who knows? You might own a mansion by the age of 35.”


 

“You lucky bastard. You already have one.”


 

“That’s my Mother’s.”


 

“Your inheritage, you mean.”


 

“No. You know how she it. No one dares to touch anything she controls.”


 

Glancing over at his best friend, there’s something sad sitting in Kang Han’s eyes, “Yeah. I know. And I also know that you’re one of the things she controls.”


 

The little chuckle Youngjae gave out sounded almost as if he was begging for help, but he quickly fixed himself. “It’s not like that. She’s just… She’s just very cautious of everything in life. I swear she’s not a bad person-”


 

“She is.”


 

“No, she-”


 

“Youngjae-ah, she forced you to take law even though you desperately wanted to be a vet. Did you know how surprised I was when you showed up to my Law and Orders 1001 class? Hella ing surprised. Someone who always adores the out of animals is now sitting next to me listening to the most boring on this goddamn planet.”


 

“Hey, you’re overreacting. It’s not a big deal. I didn’t like it at first, but it wasn’t that bad. I’m still good at my job, aren’t I?” Youngjae tried to brush it off quickly.


 

“Whatever,” Kang Han shook his head and rolled his eyes while holding the entrance door of their huge law firm open, “I guess I can’t say more , cause your mother is a stockholder of ten percent of HanJae Law Inquiry, right? Can’t offend her.”


 

“One question.”


 

Visibly upset, Lawyer Kang stuffed his cold hands into his coat’s pockets, “What.”


 

“Samgyupsal or sushi?”


 

“SAMGYUPSAL!”





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

Screams everywhere. Lights everywhere. The stadium riled up as each second stormed by. Everyone was up on their feet. Thousands and thousands of them. Of course, they would be. They’re about to see their idol. It’s a thrilling experience.


 

And the time is here.


 

The lights dimmed out and music boomed around the big stadium. A streak of piercing white light struck through the field of redness. Out from the bottom of the stage, South Korea’s most valued artist rose like a phoenix, stabbing its fiery wings through the starry winter night sky. His hands lay at his sides loosely. His headset was all ready to go. He lifted his head. His eyes were sharp and cold, as it always have been.


 

Ten years.


 

He’s been doing this for ten years.


 

It’s the same  over and over again.


 

Behind him, the screen flashed a couple of times before big, bold words appeared on it: JB 100th Concert - Sin


 

The fans went wild.





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

After they parted ways, Youngjae found himself aimlessly strolling around the city. His mind was still heavy on that case. He was so close to proving that it wasn’t corruption but a dangerous framing work. But Kang Han was right. The media will do anything to twist Youngjae’s official statement. The only person getting backlash would be Youngjae for something he didn’t even do. The young lawyer sighed, slowly accepting how disgusting the Korean media was. Some news stations are in a cooperative contract with various of companies that pay them high enough for them to up the news and get everyone's attention off the bigger news. At the end of the day, it’s really just a web of lies to cover up the real injustice.


 

It to be a lawyer who’s caught in between the web. So hard to struggle for survival.


 

Youngjae just sighed, unable to clear his head or find a better solution to get himself out of this mess and prove the case’s innocence. People drew him out to be someone so intelligent based on his great academic achievements. Yet he can’t even think fast enough to save himself. He lived his life the way his mother wanted him to. All he knew was to obey his mother.


 

“Hello, Mother?” Youngjae picked up the call as soon as he felt the vibration of his phone through his coat’s pocket.


 

“Where are you?”


 

“About to get home, ma’am.”


 

“The negotiator of Sun Corporation called. They want you to put out an official statement claiming the corruption of Jet Entertainment.”


 

Frozen on his tracks, Youngjae refused to believe what he was hearing. “I can’t do that,” he responded. Immediately, he regretted it and covered his mouth. Now, Youngjae refused to believe that he just talked back to his mother like that.


 

“Excuse me?” Her tone sounded angry. “I said-”


 

“I’m sorry. I listened to you many times before, but not this one.” It’s like someone invaded Youngjae’s brain and took over. “They did nothing wrong. I won’t do it. I’m really sorry, Mother. Goodnight.” And he hung up abruptly. Hand on his mouth in shock, Youngjae cursed himself for defying his own mother like that. His heart kept racing way too wild for his body to keep up. The pain in his head started acting up again.


 

Grabbing his head, Youngjae wobbly settled down on an empty bench. He reached into his pocket for the pills, but then he remembered he left them in his office earlier while too busy talking with Kang Han. Sighing, Youngjae carefully leaned back and closed his eyes. Pain soured through the veins of his brain, pressuring every nerve in his body. He hates this. Whenever his old wounds would act up, he just wanted to slam a hammer and crack open his skull. Why does it hurt so much?


 

Why does it always feel like there’s a void in his heart?


 

Youngjae sighed, finally forcing his eyes open. This winter wind does not help at all. Getting back up on his feet, Youngjae continued walking back to his apartment slowly. His head started to feel a little better. Still, he can’t wait to get home and drown himself in bottles of pain relievers. It’s been ten years. And it still hurts like Hell. A few more minutes of walking and he was back on another bench. Not holding his head this time. Just taking a break. Everything was weighing down on him all at once. When will he ever catch an actual break-


 

Picking up his phone for the second time tonight, Youngjae felt a sense of pure relief when the screen didn’t flash a scary ‘Mother’ in alarming letters. “Hello? Kang Han?”


 

“I hope you’re sitting down, because here’s the huge news.”


 

Already this didn’t even bother starting out good. “What is it?”


 

“Sun Corps ed you over. They’re taking you off the case. You’re no longer the legal attorney for the Jet Scandal.”


 

“WHAT? That fast…”


 

“How many times did I tell you not to play with fire, Youngjae-ah.”


 

Rubbing his temples tiredly, Youngjae shook his head in disbelief. “Tell me they’re not trying to do anything stupid like chaining me down to something irrelevant.”


 

“Most likely. I heard Die is releasing some huge news tomorrow morning that will overshadow the hype of the Myeong-dong Arson. It’s related to Jet Entertainment, so everyone’s attention will be on them. More for those Sun Corps bastards to force-label corruption,” Kang Han sounded exasperated over the line. “I’m so sick and tired of this bull.”


 

“The only reason why I stood behind Jet Entertainment is because I truly believe they are innocent. Now, the media is going to ruin that to the people who literally takes everything and exaggerates it. I’m tired, too, Han-ah.”


 

“We’ll see which idol falls victim to this bull in the morning. I’m done. Peace out.”


 

“See you tomorrow.”


 

Losing count of how many times he sighed in just one night, Youngjae stared out into the crowded city streets. Seoul is so big. So many people. Everyone is struggling with their own battles. He could see it in their eyes. So depressing. So-


 

His eyes caught on the big billboard spread across the building right in front of him. He just stared at the man on it. The man is smiling. A handsome smile. But his eyes. Youngjae had never seen someone's eyes looking so… Dead. Isn’t he an idol? Is no one noticing this? Just because he’s smiling doesn’t mean he’s happy...


 

“December 24th. Comeback titled First Love,” the young lawyer read, “JB… Jet Entertaiment…”


 

Immediately, something clicked.


 

Youngjae felt bad.


 

Who else would be the perfect person to divert everyone’s attention successfully without much of an effort? Who else other than the insanely famous twenty-nine-year-old idol with cold eyes and bursting charisma that the public has been madly in love with for the past nine years? Who else other than the boy, now a man, who pulled Jet Entertainment out of bankruptcy by debuting? Who else other than this still-relevant veteran idol?


 

Of course.


 

And it’s all Youngjae’s fault.


 

Someone’s career will be ruined because of Youngjae’s stubbornness.


 

Someone’s life will be ruined because Youngjae couldn’t let go and comply with Sun Corporation.





 

<||><||><||><||><||>





 

Not a single soul was in a good mood this morning.


 

“Goddamnit!” A manager of a certain idol screamed on the top of her lungs, “I swear to GOD I’d rather you get caught up in a ing drug scandal than to wake up and see Die butchering your uality on national broadcast!”


 

“Calm down, Youngmi-noona-”


 

“SHUT THE UP! You have no right to speak right now! They got photos of you with a man heading into a hotel circulating ALL OVER THE ING INTERNET. The media is calling you gay! Calling you a homo! Calling you a disgrace! YOU HAVE A ING COMEBACK IN TWO WEEKS! WHY! HOW! I-”


 

“Noona, lower your voice. I’m-”


 

“DO YOU NOT LOVE ME? I HAVE TO GO CLEAN UP YOUR MESSES EVERYTIME? I LOVE YOU TO DEATH! ALWAYS TREATING YOU LIKE A LITTLE BROTHER AND THIS HOW YOU TREATING ME? I CAN GIVE TWO S ABOUT WHO YOU LIKE! BUT-”


 

“I’m sorry, Youngmi-noona.”


 

Face softened, Youngmi sighed, “I’ve been managing you for seven years now. I know how you are. And I know it’s not your fault. I also know that they’re using this to cover up news for the fire in Myeong-dong. But we’re also under investigation for corruption. And they pulled the lawyer who was so eager to defend us out of the case. They’re doing everything they can to push all the attention on us and leave us hanging by a thin thread. And I… I…”


 

“Come here. Let me give you a hug.”


 

Youngmi fell into the embrace, “I’m sorry I’m like this. I’m so ing stressed out.”


 

“You’ve been through a lot. I’m sorry I’m added onto this mess.”


 

“It’s okay-”


 

Suddenly, the door of the room burst open, “IM JAEBUM! ING. IM. JAEBUM. WHERE ARE YOU?! ARE YOU ING ALL RIGHT?! WHO DARES HURT MY BABY?!!!” Korea’s most appreciated soccer player wasted no time pulling the two apart. “Oh my God…” His eyes scanned all over his buddy. “You look like …”


 

Jaebum scoffed, swatting away his best friend’s hand, “I should have known it would be you who interrupted my peaceful morning. What are you doing in my house?”


 

Choi Myungdae grinned, “I’m happy you’re coming out but also conflicted cause netizens and the rest of South Korea aren’t taking it very well. Whatever. I’m here for you, bud!”


 

“Me entering a hotel with a man does not make me gay,” Jaebum opened his fridge and grabbed himself a beer. “They just desperately wanted something that would cause a lot of commotion.”


 

“And there they have it,” Youngmi snatched the bottle from Jaebum’s hands, “No alcohol this early in the morning.” She drank it.


 

“I’m kind of worried, though. Your comeback is so near. Your fandom is hella divided,” Myungdae plopped down on the couch and stared at the muted TV that currently flashing news after news of the infamous JB. “Hey, at least they’re using good pics of you.”


 

The manager rolled her eyes, “What good pics? He looks so heartless. You can see it in his eyes. I don’t even know why everyone so obsessed with him.”


 

“Noona, you’re managing the most famous idol in the industry,” Myungdae laughed. “But you’re right. Jaebum’s so cold. People are weird.”


 

“Has he always been this cold?”


 

“Absolutely not! You should have seen him back in high school-”


 

“Shut the up,” Jaebum warned. With the sudden change of atmosphere, the other two people quietly retreated. They didn’t want to anger the moody idol any longer. Youngmi never knew why Jaebum acted like that whenever his past was brought up. And well, Myungdae knew better than anyone. Jaebum sighed, “The Boss is coming over in a bit, right? I’ll go change. Don’t make a mess, please. This place is a pain to clean.”


 

“Should have just stayed in that apartment. Your fault for buying this big- house.”


 

If Jaebum could kill Myungdae, he would. But Myungdae is probably the only one who he can rely on. For ten years, Myungdae has been by his side. It was Myungdae who pushed him through everything. It was Myungdae who got him back up on his feet. It was Myungdae who wiped his tears and lent him a shoulder to cry on. Myungdae has always been by his side and will never leave him. The bond they built was so strong. They went through thick and thin together. Only Myungdae knows Jaebum inside-out. Only Myungdae understands. Only Myungdae witnesses Jaebum when he’s at his lowest.


 

For sure, Myungdae would bring s up just to tease Jaebum, but even he knew his limits. There are certain topics that he can’t touch. People would think ten years is enough time to move on. But Jaebum never moves on. Jaebum still cries himself to sleep every night for the past ten years.


 

When Jaebum finally came downstairs with a fresh white button-up, jeans, and hair all styled, Youngmi smiled for the first time this morning, “No matter how fierce and y you look all the time, you’re still very handsome, Jaebum-ah.”


 

“He’s lucky he got the looks,” Myungdae winked.


 

Curious, Youngmi walked over to Jaebum’s best friend hoping to get in on some gossip, “You know why he wants to be an idol when he clearly don’t enjoy what he’s doing?”


 

Myungdae nonchalantly shrugged, “Being famous would make you super busy and unseen in public unless it’s for work.”


 

“What does that mean?”


 

“He’s trying to avoid crossing paths with someone.


 

“Someone?”


 

“Yep-”


 

“I can still hear you two,” the man of the house snapped. “Shut up.”


 

The two gossip queens rolled their eyes and dropped it. So damn hard to please this heartless brat. They’ll just gather and gossip more later over coffee and cake.


 

Half an hour passed and the gates finally rang. Youngmi volunteered to go invite the boss in. Three minutes later, Jet Entertainment’s CEO walked in with someone else right behind him. Lee Byun, a respected man in his mid-forties with power and integrity in every step he takes, went straight to the point without wasting anymore seconds that they don’t have. “I decided that you need immediate legal protection. We are going to get to the bottom of this.”


 

“Sir,” Jaebum had his back turned, “Just open a press conference and I’ll talk. No need for-” He turned around to face his boss.


 

Lee Byun smiled, “This is Choi Youngjae from HanJae Law Inquiry. He will be your personal lawyer from now on to the end of this case.”


 

Myungdae dropped the apple he was holding.


 

Jaebum had to grab the counter to keep himself from doubling over in horror.


 

“Hello, I am the lawyer that was in charge of defending your agency. My apologies that things have turned out this way,” the lawyer tried to smile, not too awkwardly, as if he wasn’t the reason for the idol’s controversy. Youngjae turned his attention to the shocked idol, “I will do my best to fix this. Hope we’ll be working great together, Im Jaebum-ssi.”


 

Jaebum didn’t know how much he needed to hear his name coming out from the person he loved so much.


 

Still does.


 

The one person who Jaebum still loves so much.

 

 

But...

 

 

But why does Youngjae look at Jaebum like it's the first time they have ever met.