Chapter 7: Brevity

Season of Gfriend

Time has passed by with Yuju falling asleep while waiting for her friends to wake up, but they didn’t. It was already morning, the rain has stopped falling, the outside world expressed its tranquility with morning dew resting on the plants displayed at their mini terrace.

After Yuju found out that Eunha’s childhood sickness was resurfacing, she spent time researching for possible treatment, as if she could administer it on her own. Sobbing while occasionally glancing at her friends, she felt helpless upon reading more of the sickness. There were treatments such as therapy, etc, but it’s a case-to-case basis. Naturally, she drifted to sleep as her eyes became too heavy due to tears, the same goes for her heart. 

Now, as the sun continued to rise and cast its light upon the world, the alarm from the eldest’s phone rang loudly - loud enough to wake Yuju up. 

The flustered lady sprang up, with eyes swollen and hair looking like a bird’s nest. She searched for the source of the loud sound, and after she did, she pressed it off. Examining the phone, she realized it was Sowon’s phone, which made her more sullen than earlier. The eldest still haven’t come back and her physical body is also missing — but how can Yuju report something like this to their agency or the police? She will be laughed at and Buddies will panic. 

The alone and lonely Yuju stood up, washed up and head to the kitchen to cook herself a lonely breakfast. 

Thinking back, she didn’t dream in her sleep today, even though she was mentally and physically tired. It was a rare occurrence for her, but she couldn’t bring herself to feel glad about it. There’s this undeniable lump in every time she thinks of her members and the possibility of them not coming back. 

When she finished eating, she cleaned up her plate right away. Today was a Thursday and she had nothing to do, probably except for looking after her friends. That’s what she initially thought but she remembered the message from Eunha’s mail — Thursday! If her calculations were correct, today would be a day wherein Eunha would visit her doctor or some sort. Should she go, but what about her friends? It was a dangerous situation for all of them, and Yuju can’t help but be confused. 

At that instant, her phone beeped. She received a message from one of her friends, “Hey, I was there yesterday, you weren’t”. ‘Oh right’, she thought of something ridiculous but possibly helpful. She thought that what if she invites him over today… he could look over them for awhile.

‘But wouldn’t be Chaeyeon a better choice?’ she asked herself. 

Seemingly out of her mind, she dialed him a phone call, to which he answered right away.

“Hey…”

“Oh, hey— Sorry…”, she paused “...for yesterday, something happened”

“It’s fine, I had to leave right away as well. By the way, is something wrong? I could help you”

As Yuju’s feet led her inside the room where they are placed, she shook her head. 

“No, nothing…”

She could hear him breathe through the phone. 

“Seokmin?”

He still didn’t answer, to which Yuju just smiled a little.

“Nothing’s wrong, I promi—“

“I’ll go there…”, his beautiful voice was melting Yuju’s heart. 

“You don’t have to, it’s dangerous for you”, she responded, anticipating Seokmin’s stubbornness. 

“Yuna, I know you’re lying, okay? Am I not your friend?”

Lee Seokmin of Seventeen was her classmate and they became closer when they collaborated and met few times along with the other 97 liners. But still, she was somehow impressed with the fact that he could tell she was lying, or was she too obvious? She couldn’t distinguish herself. Nevertheless, the fact that Seokmin offered her help made her happy, even with the stress she’s under since yesterday, but she shouldn’t involve an innocent person in this. 

“It’s just a tiny one. I’ll call you if I need more help, would that be fine?”, Yuju replied.

It took few seconds before Seokmin could answer but he just agreed with her. There were lots of things running inside his mind, but he couldn’t ask Yuju directly. It seemed as though it was asking too much of her privacy. 

Their conversation ended there, leaving Yuju feeling a little lighter than before. Although she and Seokmin are a little bit awkward than most friends, they had this connection between them that still keeps their friendship going. 

Sitting at the couch beside where she put Sinb’s body, she finally snapped from thinking about her friend, remembering that she has to go to Eunha’s doctor. 

Upon thorough considerations on her part, she decided to use her astral projection to look for Eunha’s doctor. But the problem didn’t end there, how on earth is she able to know more about her friebd’s current diagnosis when Eunha kept it confidential and available only for her use. Answers didn’t arrive on her, but she did it anyway. 

After successfully moving her astral body from her physical one, she headed to the address written at one of Eunha’s mails. She searched for it beforehand, thus she had an idea as to where to go. 

Upon entering the astral realm, she could see different worlds and time periods stretching across the vastness. There were also wandering astral bodies and spirits, but Yuju didn’t bother looking at them. Facing a spirit, having an intense stare game with the creature— Yuju felt the horror creep through her skin as she remembers the first time she encountered such event. 

“Keep calm and go straight”, she chants to herself to somehow strengthen her. 

As she was maintaining her direction and pace, she could feel heavy stares from the other entities present in the astral plane she’s in. They sure were uncomfortable, Yuju has emphasized that again and again, but still she went on — carrying with her a seed of love and courage. 

At last, she arrived at the hospital — Hanshin Hospital, prolly one of the top hospitals in the country. The topmost floor catered what they termed as VVIP such as celebrities, elites, politicians, etc. Most of the cases there go unnoticed to the public. Yuju knew this, because she liked reading and delving into controversies like that. Although the VVIP treatment was somehow understandable, there were some far juicier leakages from the inside which caused turmoil in the medical field years ago, but it went silent after that. (YongPal reference) 

She guessed Eunha decided to be diagnosed here due to its high precautionary measures. Hanshin is expensive, but the money wasn’t really a problem as Eunha came from a well-off family, not on par with Yewon’s, but still up in the ‘hierarchy’. 

Yuju’s astral body searched from place to place for Eunha’s doctor until she found her, Dr. Seo was a beautiful, young lady with a radiant and smart appearance. She exudes the word ‘purity’ and ‘fancy’ so much that she’s becoming intimidating.

Yuju just stayed there, waiting for her to move out of the room for awhile, but instead her secretary comes in. 

“Dr. Seo, Ms. Jung Eunha still isn’t here”

The doctor sipped on her cup of lavender tea before responding to her secretary. 

“I see, thank you”, with her stare, the secretary went out of the room immediately. 

She grabs her phone and seemingly dialed someone. After few moments, the other side picked up. 

“Yes, Jae-in-unnie, Eunha didn’t come here”

‘Jae-in? Eunha’s older sister? I thought no one should be able to know updates of her status’, spoke Yuju in her mind, not noticing how much she is a contradiction to her words. 

“Hmm, it’s still the same with her previous case, but we’re looking for other possible sites that would lead to other complications since her LCH seems more active”

While lightly tapping at her desk, the doctor would occasionally stare off at the place where Yuju is located. Even though she believed that she cannot see her because she was in her astral body, she still felt iffy. 

“It’s funny how Eunha cannot remember me when I used to play with her in the hospital, especially when she had to be injected”, she reflected a melancholic smile upon reminiscing those times. “Yes, unnie, but it’s even funnier that I am now treating her as her doctor” 

Yuju could feel her sadness from a distance. In front of her was a woman that greatly love Eunha, but she couldn’t even remember her, and now she has to treat her. It was as if Eunha’s life was handed over to her fragile hands. 

“You called, but she didn’t answer? My secretary also messaged her but she didn’t respond as well. Maybe Gfriend is busy”, she was looking up, prolly preventing the build-up of tears. 

Yuju cannot handle hearing more of the situation. It pained her because firstly Eunha didn’t choose not to respond but because Gfriend is in shambles right now; secondly, because Eunha’s condition could worsen at any moment. 

On the other hand, Dr. Seo’s phone call with Eunha’s older sister already ended. Yuju began to shift through the astral plane, when a voice made her halt. 

There was no mistaking to it, the one who called her out is Dr. Seo herself. ‘But why? How?’ Yuju’s heart was beating too fast due to the unexpected turn of events. She was hesitant to move on but she didn’t want to face Dr. Seo. 

“Please stop, Choi Yuna-nim”

This time, Yuju’s legs froze, and she was just standing there. She slowly turned her head towards Dr. Seo’s direction, and asked her, “You can see me?” 

Dr. Seo tilted her head and nodded slowly. “It’s been a while since I talked with an astral body… and look at how lucky I am”, she paused as Yuju’s astral body walked towards her. When they were only a meter away from each other, both of them could feel the intense atmosphere. “...this astral body is from one of the top girl groups, and a recognized main vocal at that”, Dr. Seo smirked while Yuju responded with a glare. 

“How can you see me?”

“Supernatural powers, I guess”, the doctor giggled then straightened up once again. 

“Did you get enough information?” 

With that question, Yuju fell silent, lowering her head. 

“Is her condition that bad?”, she asked but scared of what may be the answer.

“What do you want to hear?” 

“Just tell me the truth”, Yuju firmly stated. 

Dr. Seo looked at her, as if she was scanning for codes or something. Then she nodded and played with her hair before going back to their conversation. 

“Your friend requested everything to be confidential, I’m sorry”, she smiled to which Yuju felt pissed off. 

“You can leave now”, Dr. Seo told her in a commanding tone, but Yuju refused to give in. 

At that moment, there was a loud knock coming from the door. Then the door opened, with Dr. Seo’s secretary seemingly in awe. 

“She’s really pretty”, her voice filled with captivation. “I mean, I’m sorry”, she clears , “Miss Jung Eunbi is here”. The secretary tried to be uptight but her grin was still showing. 

“Eunha?”, Yuju was definitely shocked because the last time she saw her, she was still cold and sleeping. Somehow, she was relieved to know that Eunha woke up but there’s something bothering her, though she can’t quite point it out. 

Shortly after, Eunha went inside the room. ‘So it was true’, Yuju thought. 

Her friend looked so frozen; her usual bubbly exterior was blocked with her current stoic expression. Eunha looked so different. 

“Hello, thank you for coming”, Dr. Seo reached out her hand to Eunha, but the girl didn’t have the energy to respond to the handshake; Dr. Seo took it back embarrassingly. 

“So is it official?”, Eunha asked.

“Yes, unfortunately, perhaps the prior diagnosis was inaccurate or it’s just that your current environment intervened too much of your system. Either way, your LCH is back”

“Will I die?”

Eunha’s question surprised both of the listeners, especially Yuju. Death was something she’s not particularly fond of, well, in a general sense, people aren’t.

“Or will I need to live in the hospital just like my younger years?”, she continued. 

The atmosphere in the place became heavy that it’s hard to breathe. Before Dr. Seo could respond, she started off with a deep sigh. 

“Please go out”

She wasn’t looking at Yuju, but the latter could tell that that was for her. She wanted to listen more, but she had to respect her. 

“Me?”, Eunha asked confusely. 

The smiling doctor shook her head, “I was just whispering to myself”. Well, that was an obvious lie but Eunha didn’t mind. She just wanted to know more about condition. Yuju, on the other hand, decided to leave and go back to her body. Dr. Seo glanced at Yuju for the last time. 

The young girl traveled through the astral plane once again, but this time she wasn’t afraid of the spirits anymore. She felt empty, too detached to feel fear. She was near her circle when she recognized a familiar back. A black-haired girl was standing still, as if waiting for someone to arrive. It’s definitely her…

“Sowon-unnie?” 

It’s definitely her. 

“Sowon-unnie!”, she ran fast to see her up close. It is really is their eldest whose physical body suddenly disappeared. She was looking for her and now she’s here. 

“Sowon-unnie… Sowon-unnie?”